Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Leb posted:

So, yeah, they've said they're not interested in exploring the central mystery of the show but rather the impact that mystery has on the people who are left behind. Fine, good. Where I run into some trouble, however, is when the pilot goes and introduces some increasingly fantastical elements that seem to be adding additional layers of mystery on top of the original mystery; all the while, we're being told by the show's creators, from the outset, that we shouldn't be focusing on these mysteries and that these mysteries will never be resolved.
What was in the pilot that seemed fantastical to you, exactly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

Sober posted:

What was in the pilot that seemed fantastical to you, exactly?

Well, primarily his dream of striking a deer with his car, from which he awakes to discover that a deer destroyed his kitchen; then, later that evening, he almost strikes a deer with his car and moments later, that deer gets taken down by a pack of feral dogs which appear out of nowhere.

Notsosubtle
Oct 30, 2008

Leb posted:

So, yeah, they've said they're not interested in exploring the central mystery of the show but rather the impact that mystery has on the people who are left behind. Fine, good. Where I run into some trouble, however, is when the pilot goes and introduces some increasingly fantastical elements that seem to be adding additional layers of mystery on top of the original mystery; all the while, we're being told by the show's creators, from the outset, that we shouldn't be focusing on these mysteries and that these mysteries will never be resolved.

I can see feeling like you're being suckered into a Lost-type situation where mysteries keep stacking up on top of each other and no one is bothering to dispel the notion that some resolution might be right around the corner. However, I don't think that's what this show will end up doing. There will some initial mysteries, some ambiguity regarding how much divine or supernatural forces are at work to set the stage, but then the character drama will take over. If not, then your criticism will be valid, in that they will then be guilty of trying to have their cake and eat it to - i.e. concocting lots of ambiguous mysteriousness while simultaneously shrugging off any narrative responsibility for addressing it. Optimistically, I'm going to assume that's not their intention. Even if Lindelof is involved and has some past tendencies to take such narrative liberties in the name of 'characterization', the book's author is also involved and the book didn't fall into this particular trap. Ambiguity, yes; but not excessive and not at the expense of trivializing the characters' developments.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Leb posted:

Well, primarily his dream of striking a deer with his car, from which he awakes to discover that a deer destroyed his kitchen

This part didn't strike me as odd at all, sometimes if I'm deep enough in a dream and I hear something in the real world I'll end up warping the dream to accommodate the audio I'm hearing.

Personally I took the final scene to be a metaphorical repetition of the melee between the townspeople and the cult, reinforcing the image of his being caught between this mysterious, eerie, and possibly beautiful thing and the world that wants to destroy it. That he chose to shoot at the dogs (even if it was far too late) may foreshadow an important decision he'll make later.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

Jean Eric Burn posted:

The actors and actresses in this are so generically LL Bean model attractive

Guys I got TVIV bingo I think

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

At the party, what was with the two naked guys, one in a tub, and one sitting on the floor of the bathroom? Unless I'm mistaken, they almost looked like twins, which kind of amplified the oddness of everything going on.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Tomahawk posted:

Guys I got TVIV bingo I think

Impossible, nobody's made an Aatrek joke yet :v:

I liked it. I'm really happy to see Paterson Joseph on HBO so I'm going to stick around for that if nothing else. I also liked the two brothers. I really hope they make more of an effort to establish names because I have no clue who any of these people are.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Fuligin posted:

I dunno I thought it was pretty good. It seems like it's intentionally going for a slower, melancholic pace, and that's fine by me. Also a feeling of disorientation is kind of the point. But yeah gently caress stupid moody "teen" storyline, it was the worst part of the pilot by far. I'm not optimistic about Liv Tyler either but I guess we'll see.

The thing I noticed and actually really appreciated is that there was never a moment where the creators left us hanging with some stupid tease about what's really going on. There is no indication that anyone knows anything, and it looks like it's going to stay that way, and I'm perfectly fine with that.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
I don't trust the intentions of anyone in this show. I don't know why, but I think every scene is going to end badly.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I wouldn't want to live in a world where gummi worms are apparently a scarce contraband.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Watched this with my roommate last night and we both had a kind of "Huh, interesting?" reaction after, in a good way. We've both been big Lost fans so were interested in seeing Lindelof's new work, and are definitely interested in the premise. I could see it being a bit slow if other episodes are similar to the premiere though; hopefully it picks up a bit and does well.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Okay, my prediction for this series going off the pilot: it will continue to meander on, generally ignoring its main plot (if it has one), letting petty interpersonal drama become side-plots that swallow up most of the show but lack meaning, only to occasionally realise they haven't mentioned anything about those people disappearing in a while and throwing us a token episode. Eventually, it will either be cancelled or be given a bullshit ending which everyone will hate.

I hope that third episode is as good as the reviews made it out to be.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
The first really amazing episode of Lost was the 4th one so I wouldn't be surprised if it takes a few episodes to really pick up (but I already think this is great)

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

R. Mute posted:

Okay, my prediction for this series going off the pilot: it will continue to meander on, generally ignoring its main plot (if it has one), letting petty interpersonal drama become side-plots that swallow up most of the show but lack meaning, only to occasionally realise they haven't mentioned anything about those people disappearing in a while and throwing us a token episode. Eventually, it will either be cancelled or be given a bullshit ending which everyone will hate.

I hope that third episode is as good as the reviews made it out to be.

I think you're confused, what you think is the sideplot is actually the main plot.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

Sober posted:

And the show pretty much explained why his wife left him from the bar scene, and the other quick flashbacks that establish it. Kevin Garvey (the cop) was cheating on his wife, and the woman she was loving got not-raptured away, which is why he freaked the gently caress out/people sort of know that in this smaller town. The son tried to kill himself (jumping off a roof) to possibly join the departed or something (despite his family still all being there; maybe friends I guess). I'm guessing the daughter was too young, father was hosed up/freaking out, mother left because she wanted to be vindictive or whatever, so yeah, I'm not surprised his daughter is moody.

That's interesting, I thought the reveal with the cop cheating was just that, but I didn't catch that the women he was loving got taken. That kind of puts him with the feral dogs who all lost it because their owners disappeared in front of them. And his dad who also went crazy. Also, what's with the full tattooed back on the cop? That's some pretty extensive tattooing for a police officer.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Was pretty mediocre. If the show's however not going to explain or at least allude the why (I suppose to be expected, since I just read the book didn't either), I'm out ahead.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I do agree with the reviewers that the comedy of the show was lost due to the complete melancholy of the actors. There were some really funny bits in there that fell flat or ignored because everyone is so drat morose. Gary Busey and Shaq getting raptured aside, the cop complaining about calling his brother-in-law a hero because he was a dipshit in real life was pretty funny.

I don't think we're ever going to get a reason for the disappearances. I think that can work as a premise as long as the show never pretends to be leading to an answer, and just commits to its ambiguity.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Rarity posted:

I think you're confused, what you think is the sideplot is actually the main plot.
I don't expect a big 'why/where did they go' or 'what happened' plot, I know this is about the characters and how they deal with this strange bizz, but what I'm saying is that it'll stray even from that and become a muddled mess.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

R. Mute posted:

I don't expect a big 'why/where did they go' or 'what happened' plot, I know this is about the characters and how they deal with this strange bizz, but what I'm saying is that it'll stray even from that and become a muddled mess.

Eh, maybe. If this wasn't already based on some written material, I would believe that.

I do wonder how long they can stretch out one book, though.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

Max posted:

Eh, maybe. If this wasn't already based on some written material, I would believe that.

I do wonder how long they can stretch out one book, though.

I think this is less of a game of thrones literal adaption and more of an under the dome "taking the gist of the story and running with it" adaption. I'm sure they can get a few seasons out of this if it's successful.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
It's kind of like going back to highschool and remembering the goth (or emo if you're younger) kids who demanded to be taken seriously for their deep dark pain:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

AgentHaiTo posted:

Also, what's with the full tattooed back on the cop? That's some pretty extensive tattooing for a police officer.

I know! Let's have a whole episode about them :downs:

bryn987
May 31, 2014
Considering Lindelofs track record, I have no problem with not explaining the event. However, if they keep adding to that mystery without explaining it, then I will be pissed. They've already started doing this by making some of the people that disappeared seem unworthy of a rapture so we will see.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

bryn987 posted:

Considering Lindelofs track record, I have no problem with not explaining the event. However, if they keep adding to that mystery without explaining it, then I will be pissed. They've already started doing this by making some of the people that disappeared seem unworthy of a rapture so we will see.
I don't think so, that's just more of a point everyone seems to make because of how non-specific the Departure was; anyone was fair game, so people see probably see it as "well, it wasn't the Christian rapture because I knew that guy was a piece of poo poo."

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
I'm intrigued. The pacing was slow but I at least find the characters interesting. I'm on board for a while :munch:

Rarity posted:

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Rarity posted:

Stupid to say but it might be more interesting, because he was pretty much tattooless when it all went down, then he's all inked up 3 years later.

... I'm sure I'll regret posting this soon enough.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

bryn987 posted:

I actually think that making it random was done to take the air out of the idea that it may be the actual christian rapture. That way you have both science and religion shrugging their shoulders.

If they start showing a mysterious man appearing in the cop's dreams and telling him "You gotta go to Boulder" and then tease that out for 4 seasons before going "Gotcha!" then gently caress that. Again, I'm hoping they just commit to the ambiguity and never even bother to explain what happened.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
*massive expository monologue*

"You're telling this to me as if I don't already know it!"

hahahah come on dude

Dryb
Jul 30, 2007

What did I do?
I think he felt the mayor was throwing barbs at him because his wife was one of them.

sd6
Jan 14, 2008

This has all been posted before, and it will all be posted again
So wait, did the show's writers/creators explicitly say that they're never going to reveal how or why the people disappeared?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

sd6 posted:

So wait, did the show's writers/creators explicitly say that they're never going to reveal how or why the people disappeared?

It's Lindelof, of course they're not going to explain anything.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Dryb posted:

I think he felt the mayor was throwing barbs at him because his wife was one of them.

Were we supposed to believe that his wife had been raptured, until the reveal at the end? That's how I read it, unless I missed a very obvious visual clue.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

I love that this is BarkWire: The TV Show.

Mr. Boogie
Apr 1, 2013

Is a meat patty something or nothing?

sd6 posted:

I'm not sure which interview but I'm pretty sure Lindelof specifically did say the disappearance will not be explained. In another interview he sort of did a slight flip flop and said he doesn't want to reveal if it'll be explained or not, because that will effect your viewing of the show and he wants it to speak for itself. Though it's pretty obvious there's no explanation, and I'm fine with that. I can't fathom an explanation to the mystery that wouldn't be lame as gently caress and diminish the entire point of the series and the whole idea of having to grapple with something that has no answer.

Put me in the camp of really enjoying this pilot. Enjoyed basically everything about it...even didn't mind the daughter's subplot too much. Very much looking forward to the weeks ahead. Though it's unfortunate how reminiscent the deer subplot is of Hannibal, or maybe that's just because I just recently watched every episode of Hannibal and have it on the mind.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Max posted:

Were we supposed to believe that his wife had been raptured, until the reveal at the end? That's how I read it, unless I missed a very obvious visual clue.
It was pretty obvious he was cheating on his wife, but up until he visits her at the GR homes, they didn't explicitly tell you. They even purposely framed the shot where he smashes the family photo impossible to read. Although it was weird the daughter took the glass out AFTER her father goes to the mother; could've cut inbetween or put before that scene for shock value, I guess.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Sober posted:

It was pretty obvious he was cheating on his wife, but up until he visits her at the GR homes, they didn't explicitly tell you. They even purposely framed the shot where he smashes the family photo impossible to read. Although it was weird the daughter took the glass out AFTER her father goes to the mother; could've cut inbetween or put before that scene for shock value, I guess.

Yeah, they had that moment where the guy the daughter has to choke says "sorry about your mom" and it read like they wanted you to believe she had been raptured. His hatred of the GR makes more sense looking back on it.

I liked the pilot as well. It's interesting to me to see a pilot that doesn't end with a strong plot hook. It feels closer to the way older HBO dramas were constructed.

Notsosubtle
Oct 30, 2008
Is it confirmed that he was cheating on his wife? I just ran back through that flashback and it's really hard to tell if its his wife or another women. Also of note, his tattoos are present in the flashback, so it's not some post-Departure flagellation or anything - so, yea, probably Phuket.

Mr. Boogie
Apr 1, 2013

Is a meat patty something or nothing?
By the way, I kind of have to admire the balls on Lindelof to adapt a book where the premise is "a mysterious thing happens and we're never going to get an answer to it" given how much people hated him after Lost for that exact reason. I'm already seeing speculation online with theories about alien abduction and all that, and when this show ends with no reveal about the departure, people are going to have the exact same violent reaction towards Lindelof that they did 4 years ago. I have to admire him for being interested in this project and pursuing it because he believes in it, all the while knowing for a fact that he's going to have to go through poo poo from fans all over again.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Sober posted:

I thought it was obvious after the scene where the mum watches her daughter play hockey. When they made it into a reveal at the end I was really confused cause I thought we were meant to know that already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Mr. Boogie posted:

By the way, I kind of have to admire the balls on Lindelof to adapt a book where the premise is "a mysterious thing happens and we're never going to get an answer to it" given how much people hated him after Lost for that exact reason. I'm already seeing speculation online with theories about alien abduction and all that, and when this show ends with no reveal about the departure, people are going to have the exact same violent reaction towards Lindelof that they did 4 years ago. I have to admire him for being interested in this project and pursuing it because he believes in it, all the while knowing for a fact that he's going to have to go through poo poo from fans all over again.

Hopefully the difference between the two shows is that this one doesn't make the audience think that answers are out there. Lost pulled some real BS maneuvering by implying there was an answer and we were going to eventually arriving at it before pivoting and going "Sorry, this is how the real world works, sucks that you built up your expectations."

If this show doesn't pull that, I think it could be really interesting.

Placing the show in a small town with limited resources sort of solves this problem as well. I can imagine a story about some plucky hero who is valiantly solving the case as we speak, but we'll never see that since these people are stuck in a tiny town and have their own personal concerns.

• Locked thread