Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I don't know what the viewing figures were, but if you compare how many replies the True Detective thread had after the first episode and the later ones.....yeah. HBO shows can definitely pick up viewers.

Max posted:

Again, I think this is a different beast all together, because the show never really promises the viewer that it will answer the questions. Everyone and everything involved with this shows seems very upfront with the fact that the cause of the non-rapture will never, ever be explained.

Most people won't have read interviews with the writers etc. beforehand. Most won't even know that 'That Lost Guy' is involved with this. With that in mind, if the show frames the Whatever-Rapture as a mystery to be solved, you can't blame people for that.

Junkenstein fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jul 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Junkenstein posted:

Most people won't have read interviews with the writers etc. beforehand. Most won't even know that 'That Lost Guy' is involved with this. With that in mind, if the show frames the Whatever-Rapture as a mystery to be solved, you can't blame people for that.

But it didn't. One of the first scenes of the show is a scientist sitting in front of a congressional hearing telling everyone he has no idea what happened, and apparently neither do any of the religions. There isn't some crazy backwards dude that's screaming about how he knows what's going on (he's just shooting dogs), and almost everyone in the town wants to just get on with their life and the ending hook of the pilot was character development.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
The magic dude at the ranch seems to know a fair bit more than everyone else. Grace period is over, etc.

I think you're giving the show too much credit in it setting up "this mystery won't be answered". I didn't get that feeling at all from watching.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Max posted:

But it didn't. One of the first scenes of the show is a scientist sitting in front of a congressional hearing telling everyone he has no idea what happened, and apparently neither do any of the religions. There isn't some crazy backwards dude that's screaming about how he knows what's going on (he's just shooting dogs), and almost everyone in the town wants to just get on with their life and the ending hook of the pilot was character development.

For me, showing the hearing had the opposite effect and put the question right out there from the get-go (it doesn't matter that they have no idea what caused it right now). As I mentioned earlier, I don't watch The Returned for the mysteries, I watch it because of the cool melancholic atmosphere and small town characters dealing with this supernatural event in a down-to-Earth way (plus Mogwai). So when a show has the exact same premise but this time makes me want to know the hows and whys, despite the showmakers telling us not to expect answers, then I have to feel it's going the wrong way about things.

Obviously, this a very subjective take on it, and it's still very early going. I'm sure things will change if I start to get attached to the characters.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
Watched it last night. It didn't feel like a triple-A HBO show and all the dog shooting greatly upset my wife.

I heard the book's author on NPR and he was smart and likable. Hopes are a bit dashed after the pilot.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Tomahawk posted:

The magic dude at the ranch seems to know a fair bit more than everyone else. Grace period is over, etc.

I think you're giving the show too much credit in it setting up "this mystery won't be answered". I didn't get that feeling at all from watching.

Charlatans, how do they work?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Saw the pilot, brilliant and hugely depressing.
I actually hope we never find out what happened, I'll be happy to just think that an unexplainable rapture-event occurred and has broken the world.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Liv Tyler still can't act, but she's probably not going to do a whole lot more talking. Although she's about evocative as a tomato so it might get worse somehow.

Other than that I'm cautiously optimistic - at first it seemed like another mystery box, but the show broke that down pretty quick. It felt a bit overproduced in stretches so I'm hoping that tones down a bit. Maybe just a little restraint on the slo mo.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I liked it enough to watch the whole season. I like idea of how the world/small town would react when an event like this occurs. So far nothing really stupid and the acting was alright. I liked it, and it has a bunch of mystery but not in the Lost kind of sense. Like what is the deal with the silent and smoking cult, the black guy, what caused the mom to leave her family, etc.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Tomahawk posted:

I'm not sure if this is to be considered an "Unsullied" thread or not, given that there's a book attached, but in the book he's just a crazy guy with warrants who really likes loving and impregnating Asian chicks under the auspices of birthing the Son of God. When 'Christine' gives birth to a girl, he gets all depressed, turns himself in, and his 'cult' collapses.

As for what I think it is - dimensional shift. Everyone who disappeared is probably in some "Langolier" space occurring simultaneously with the 'world of the 98%' or simply exist in another universe. I do think they missed out at the 'hearing' by the scientist responding to Mr. Wants a Soundbite senator/congressman with quoting Antoine Lavoisier - "matter cannot be created or destroyed" as proof that the 'disappeared' aren't 'lost,' they're just somewhere else, either in part or in whole. That, or in a reversal from Lost, the "98%" are the ones who disappeared and are living in the 'new reality.' What'd get Stephen King to sue is if they write in that the wild dogs are actually acting like the Langoliers did - 'eating' what doesn't belong, which would explain why Garvey kept seeing (and then not seeing) that stag. The stag 'didn't belong' in that reality. Who knows. -_-

The book never answers the question, but Lindelof & Co. claim they're going to write in a reason.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Like what is the deal with the silent and smoking cult...

They exist to make everyone feel guilty that they didn't get to go play volleyball with Jesus or whatever. They're non-violent yet militant nihilists, believe that all life is pointless in the wake of the 'disappearance,' harass and/or try to recruit or guilt (hence their name, the Guilty Remnant) anyone who has 'lost' someone and is trying to get on with their lives, and they're actually way more hosed up than "Wayne's" group in some pretty disturbing ways. Pretty much just think of them as a cross between the Westboro Baptist Church and that Heaven's Gate cult from the late 90s. The only thing I can guess as to 'why do they all smoke' is that it'll almost assuredly kill them all faster.

That's all I'll say here, since again, I don't know if we're on "Unsullied" rules, especially since much fewer 'spoiling' resources exist for this than GoT.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Jul 3, 2014

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The book never answers the question, but Lindelof & Co. claim they're going to write in a reason.

They've explicitly stated they're not doing this

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

Rarity posted:

They've explicitly stated they're not doing this

I'm not sure that they have. Source?

Damon also claimed everything in Lost had a scientific answer so he's not too keen on giving accurate answers and spoiling ahead of time. If anything, I could see him being ambiguous about it so the audience isn't sitting around waiting for answers like they did for Lost, while still intending to provide some explanation.

Tomahawk fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jul 3, 2014

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
How excited was Damon that he could say gently caress and oval office on TV? The amount of swearing was way over the top and never really made much sense for the situation. Was the book like that?

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Tomahawk posted:

I'm not sure that they have. Source?

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...-leftovers.html

Given how much TV doesn't like to make definitive statements about the plot until its all over, I doubt you'll find a quote of him saying "There will definitely never be an answer," but this comes pretty close:

Lindelof posted:

Because the book embraces this idea of, “I’m not going to tell you about The Departure; I’m not going to tell you how or why these people went, because that’s not what the story is about. The story is about these characters living under the condition of felling like they’ll never know. If that’s the show that you want to watch, that’s the show that we want to write. But that might not be the show that people want to watch.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Vanderdeath posted:

Holy hell, I didn't even recognize him as Wayne. It was bugging me where I knew him from, too. It's good he's getting work after his greatest role.

I hate to be the one to tell you this, but that's definitely not Paterson Joseph. Goon face blindness?

However, I do share the sentiment, since he was awesome in Jekyll, Peep Show, Survivors, and a million other things.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

Max posted:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...-leftovers.html

Given how much TV doesn't like to make definitive statements about the plot until its all over, I doubt you'll find a quote of him saying "There will definitely never be an answer," but this comes pretty close:

Here he states the question is deliberately ambiguous because he doesn't want viewers to focus on waiting for answers:

quote:

CraveOnline: You’re speaking my language because I’m tired of shows that are looking for answers to some mystery. Will I be happy with “The Leftovers,” to just get to live in this world?

Damon Lindelof: That’s my hope. I do think that the show would be neglect in not examining the mystery of where everybody went and what happened to them. In the show, there are going to be characters who are interested in finding more out about that, but the show is much more focused on the present than it is in the past. I’m much more interested in are we going to get attacked by terrorists again, versus who are the terrorists responsible for this act?

Are you definitively saying you won’t answer what the disappearance is?

No, I’m not saying that at all. Nobody asked me that.

You spoke about emphasizing the characters moving on with their lives, rather than explaining the mystery. Will you ever explain what happened?

I think what I’d say is the question that you are asking right now is the fundamental question of the series for the characters in the series. So everybody in this world is asking, “Am I ever going to get an answer to where these people went? Am I ever going to get relief?” And if I tell the audience or you that yes, the answer is coming, then I’ve given you a piece of information that the characters don’t have, and therefore you’re not going to be able to identify with these people because as they’re walking around in the show going, “I don’t think we’re ever going to get an answer,” you’re sitting in your living room saying, “Yeah, yeah, Lindelof said it was coming. Just be patient. Chill out.”

I think the anxiety that they’re experiencing as a result of not knowing whether or not they’re going to get an answer is anxiety that I want the audience to be experiencing. I understand that I’m putting my head in a hive of bees, but it’s Tom’s fault. He wrote the book.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Tomahawk posted:

Here he states the question is deliberately ambiguous because he doesn't want viewers to focus on waiting for answers:

quote:

"If you were frustrated [with LOST], don't watch The Leftovers."

Seems definitive in its own way.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
But lost provided plenty of answers, just not the ones some people wanted to hear.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

What bothered me about Lost is being promised answers to mysteries then getting poo poo answers. This isn't promising any answers so the same frustrations won't manifest here. At least for me.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Edit: beaten - Lost also promised answers, which is why it was so built up. One mystery led to another, and another. This show doesn't seem to be doing that.

Anyway, like I said, he can't really come out and say "no, we will not answer the question." But every bit of media from him suggests that it just won't be explained.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

I feel like we've gone back in time and we're all watching Flashforward instead right now :shrug:

That show and its fans spent waaaaaay too much time on trying to tease to us WHAT HAPPENED when honestly I didn't care.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Hewlett posted:

I hate to be the one to tell you this, but that's definitely not Paterson Joseph. Goon face blindness?

That is literally Paterson Joseph

Al Nipper
May 7, 2008

by XyloJW

oswald ownenstein posted:

It's kind of like going back to highschool and remembering the goth (or emo if you're younger) kids who demanded to be taken seriously for their deep dark pain:

Ahahahaha I started skipping ahead before this and wish I hadn't. The cult is so loving stupid. Compare it to the initial threat and reveal of The Others, there is nothing intriguing or frightening about a bunch of chain smoking women in a halfway house.

Also I can't get past the central concept that the disappearance of a few million people would cause that much social unrest outside of their immediate families. Like would teenagers really give a gently caress? Nevermind the formation of cults. Did any of that happen after 9/11?

This whole thing feels like an early 2000 basic cable pilot and I'm shocked it's on HBO. I feel this will be Lindelof's Shyamalan moment, when people realize LOST (the beginning anyway) was a fluke and it's only getting worse from here.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Al Nipper posted:

Ahahahaha I started skipping ahead before this and wish I hadn't. The cult is so loving stupid. Compare it to the initial threat and reveal of The Others, there is nothing intriguing or frightening about a bunch of chain smoking women in a halfway house.

Also I can't get past the central concept that the disappearance of a few million people would cause that much social unrest outside of their immediate families. Like would teenagers really give a gently caress? Nevermind the formation of cults. Did any of that happen after 9/11?

This whole thing feels like an early 2000 basic cable pilot and I'm shocked it's on HBO. I feel this will be Lindelof's Shyamalan moment, when people realize LOST (the beginning anyway) was a fluke and it's only getting worse from here.

Are you serious?
It's a mass disappearance that happened all at the same exact time all over the planet, all of these people literally blipped out of existence and you're telling me that that wouldn't faze you in the slightest?

Deakul fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jul 3, 2014

Al Nipper
May 7, 2008

by XyloJW
I mean initially, yeah. I guess I'm putting too much faith in people's ability to get over bad poo poo that doesn't directly effect them.

I guess the supernatural aspect may have more effect. Or less in that it's not as grisly or shocking as terrorism or mass murder.

Also as others have said the number is relatively low, and for some reason disproportionately concentrated in this one town. If it'd been half the world's population I could understand. There have been pandemics far worse than this and people still got through that somehow.

Al Nipper fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jul 3, 2014

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Al Nipper posted:

I mean initially, yeah. I guess I'm putting too much faith in people's ability to get over bad poo poo that doesn't directly effect them.

I guess the supernatural aspect may have more effect. Or less in that it's not as grisly or shocking as terrorism or mass murder.

Also as others have said the number is relatively low, and for some reason disproportionately concentrated in this one town. If it'd been half the world's population I could understand. There have been pandemics far worse than this and people still got through that somehow.

It's not really that they are dead it's that they don't know why. People can accept deaths through war or disease but when so many people just disappear it breaks people as they try to figure out why and if they are next.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Tomahawk posted:

But lost provided plenty of answers, just not the ones some people wanted to hear.

And the reality is unanswered questions are often simply better than answered ones if the journey to the conclusion was interesting enough.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
It seems somewhat implausible that 2% of the population vanishing would throw the world into chaos down to the level of having roving bands of wild dogs and no one running the gummy worm factory. Also, most people would only know someone missing at the friend or acquaintance level, that opening scene where 3 people disappear out of ~6 makes the problem seem worse than it is due to a statistical anomaly. I would imagine if that happened in reality it would obviously be big news that shuts everything for a month or so, but nothing would change. Anything anyone experiences in the show already happens in reality from people dying from random events like car crashes etc, although it is obviously a higher incidence in the show, and more people might become religious/believe in aliens or whatever due the unknown factor of it.

A bunch of :goonsay:, I will keep watching, but so far it seems kind of dumb.

Fickle Isthmus
Aug 2, 2003

I've not turned up yet 'ave I?

Turtlicious posted:

Were there any bible references?

The only one I noticed was that one hundred and forty thousand people disappeared, and 144,000 is a number that shows up a bunch in Revelations. I like them dropping a number similar to one that is significant in the Bible, but not quite. Headfuckery.

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax
It was 140 million, not thousand.

Al Nipper posted:

It's not just "bad poo poo" happening, it's an actual miracle (is there a word for a bad miracle?) that's not explained by either science or religion, and everyone now has to deal with that. You can't compare that to terrorism or a pandemic. It's not about losing 2% of the population, but about all the implications of that. To be honest, I really have no idea how people would react if that really happened, so I'm curious where the show will go.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Al Nipper posted:

The cult is so loving stupid. Compare it to the initial threat and reveal of The Others, there is nothing intriguing or frightening about a bunch of chain smoking women in a halfway house.

I think that might have to do with the fact that LOST was an action-adventure-thriller and The Others were mysterious, all-powerful villains, whereas this is a drama about a bunch of grieving people.

Pain of Mind posted:

most people would only know someone missing at the friend or acquaintance level, that opening scene where 3 people disappear out of ~6 makes the problem seem worse than it is due to a statistical anomaly. I would imagine if that happened in reality it would obviously be big news that shuts everything for a month or so, but nothing would change. Anything anyone experiences in the show already happens in reality from people dying from random events like car crashes etc, although it is obviously a higher incidence in the show, and more people might become religious/believe in aliens or whatever due the unknown factor of it.

It's not really true that the things people experience in the show are things people experience in reality. What people in the show witness is a completely undeniable 'miracle'. It's an experience beyond explanation that literally everyone knows really happened. You can't really question whether you were the only one who saw this, question your own sanity, etc. You can't really say that it's that we don't have enough information and there's probably a pretty simple explanation if we had more data...Yes, accidents happen, but when an accident happens to someone you love and you lose them, it means your life won't be what you thought it would be. When a large number of the world's population literally vanishes into thin air one day, it means life itself isn't what you thought it was.

I mean this is akin to saying nothing would change if we found out God exists.

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jul 3, 2014

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Pain of Mind posted:

It seems somewhat implausible that 2% of the population vanishing would throw the world into chaos down to the level of having roving bands of wild dogs and no one running the gummy worm factory. Also, most people would only know someone missing at the friend or acquaintance level, that opening scene where 3 people disappear out of ~6 makes the problem seem worse than it is due to a statistical anomaly. I would imagine if that happened in reality it would obviously be big news that shuts everything for a month or so, but nothing would change. Anything anyone experiences in the show already happens in reality from people dying from random events like car crashes etc, although it is obviously a higher incidence in the show, and more people might become religious/believe in aliens or whatever due the unknown factor of it.

Actually you seem kinda dumb, the wild dogs are because dogs who saw people disappear went feral and insane. The gummy worms was because he was sneaking it in to other cult members. Nothing major has changed on a global scale society is still functioning but there are after effects.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

The first episode is literally everything is more or less okay three years after the fact but it's the three-year anniversary of the event, people want to celebrate/venerate/move on from it and some people can't, won't, refuse to, try to. That's about it.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Someone asked for a source on the creators gaming an 'ending' for this: http://www.wired.com/2014/06/the-leftovers-tom-perrotta/

My biggest worry after reading that article is that they'll copy too much of Rick from Walking Dead onto the Chief because 'he's just too nice a guy.'

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Someone asked for a source on the creators gaming an 'ending' for this: http://www.wired.com/2014/06/the-leftovers-tom-perrotta/

Err, I think you're mistakenly conflating Perrota's wry acknowledgement of Lindelof's baggage with an intention of addressing the cause of the sudden departure.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I just want to know what happened to the missing people. Is it a god thing? Did any prisoners from rape penitentiary disappear? How about from Murder U?

People here are saying they don't want to focus on that, but the characters they've shown thus far are completely boring and uninteresting. I want to know more about the missing people more than the ones left behind.

It is better than True Blood, though.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jul 4, 2014

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Philthy posted:

I just want to know what happened to the missing people. Is it a god thing? Did any prisoners from rape penitentiary disappear? How about from Murder U?

People here are saying they don't want to focus on that, but the characters they've shown thus far are completely boring and uninteresting. I want to know more about the missing people more than the ones left behind.

It is better than True Blood, though.

Given what the creator has said, maybe don't watch this show if that's what you want.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
The actress playing the daughter has a nice rear end

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Max posted:

Given what the creator has said, maybe don't watch this show if that's what you want.

quote:

In my defense, I can't enter into this with any fear, and all I have to say is, if ever there was a case of buyer beware... If you were frustrated the last time, don't watch "The Leftovers." That would certainly be my prescription.

Yeah, you might be on to something. I had no idea, honestly. I'll nuke it from my season pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Philthy posted:

I want to know more about the missing people more than the ones left behind.

It'd be disturbing as hell if people started seeing messages/objects move in the places the taken were last seen. You leave a room one minute and come back and there's scrawlings everywhere.

• Locked thread