Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I was really hoping the twist would be that Busey wasn't taken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Automatic Slim posted:

I always figured there would be some kind of disruption in the audio/video. Like some minor EMP like disturbance, then the video returns to normal.

Yeah I'm not saying there isn't a way to pull it off, just can't think of one that works with the tone of this show. A blatant display of the disappearance would kind of fly in the face of the show's core theme of ambiguity.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

ruddiger posted:

I was really hoping the twist would be that Busey wasn't taken.

Busey's a free man now.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Automatic Slim posted:

I always figured there would be some kind of disruption in the audio/video. Like some minor EMP like disturbance, then the video returns to normal.

This is what I was thinking too. There were obviously thousands and thousands of HD cameras focused directly on people who disappeared (due to the way the world works now), and I'm sure that's all that was on the news for the first year after the event. If we ever get a flashback I'm sure that's pretty much what we'll see (a news montage of these clips and the fallout).

That would be really neat.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

fullroundaction posted:

This is what I was thinking too. There were obviously thousands and thousands of HD cameras focused directly on people who disappeared (due to the way the world works now), and I'm sure that's all that was on the news for the first year after the event. If we ever get a flashback I'm sure that's pretty much what we'll see (a news montage of these clips and the fallout).

That would be really neat.

Have one episode be an entire collection YouTube videos of the departed.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
That would be a cool webisode type thing for the off season!

rich thick and creamy
May 23, 2005

To whip it, Whip it good
Pillbug

Automatic Slim posted:

Have one episode be an entire collection YouTube videos of the departed.

Or departedselfies.tumbr.com a collection of oddly angled background photos (subject disappeared) collected from abandoned cell phones.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Did Tom Cruise depart? Will Smith? maybe this show can move in the scifi direction

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Eukodol posted:

Or departedselfies.tumbr.com a collection of oddly angled background photos (subject disappeared) collected from abandoned cell phones.

It would be better if it's the phone mid fall since the hand holding it has suddenly disappeared.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Ugh something occurred to me today and it's been bothering me a little bit. It already kinda bugged me how easy it was for the GR members (who you would expect to have 0 experience doing B&E work) to break in and take all those family photos. But iirc that episode was centered around the whole town going out to some sort of Christmas event so it is somewhat plausible that most of the houses they targeted then were vacant.

Getting the simulacrums BACK into the houses would be a much harder task obviously. Especially to pull off undetected - cat-burglar style. Not to mention did they just get lucky with the placement of Nora's departed family members around the kitchen table? It was a cool part of the story no doubt but they didn't even bother trying to make it plausible :(

:goonsay:

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

thathonkey posted:

Ugh something occurred to me today and it's been bothering me a little bit. It already kinda bugged me how easy it was for the GR members (who you would expect to have 0 experience doing B&E work) to break in and take all those family photos. But iirc that episode was centered around the whole town going out to some sort of Christmas event so it is somewhat plausible that most of the houses they targeted then were vacant.

Getting the simulacrums BACK into the houses would be a much harder task obviously. Especially to pull off undetected - cat-burglar style. Not to mention did they just get lucky with the placement of Nora's departed family members around the kitchen table? It was a cool part of the story no doubt but they didn't even bother trying to make it plausible :(

:goonsay:

She talked at those Survivors meetings or whatever, and the GR do a very good job at investigating/keeping tabs on people so they probably heard her tell the story of that morning.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

She talked at those Survivors meetings or whatever, and the GR do a very good job at investigating/keeping tabs on people so they probably heard her tell the story of that morning.

Good point but that bugged me much less than the logistics of moving all those dolls into place undetected. Not to mention how much harder it would be to coordinate a complex logistical operation like that when your only means of communication is writing terse phrases onto notepads :smug: Like with walkie-talkies at least you can have lookouts and such.

Hopefully the GR is simply relegated to the story background for S2 (like the other cults we saw this season) because they're by far the worst part of the show. Definitely seems like Laurie is done with the group (if the Mapleton chapter ever recovers).

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Sep 16, 2014

Darth Ballz
Apr 30, 2003
Feel the burn

thathonkey posted:

Good point but that bugged me much less than the logistics of moving all those dolls into place undetected. Not to mention how much harder it would be to coordinate a complex logistical operation like that when your only means of communication is writing terse phrases onto notepads :smug: Like with walkie-talkies at least you can have lookouts and such.

Hopefully the GR is simply relegated to the story background for S2 (like the other cults we saw this season) because they're by far the worst part of the show. Definitely seems like Laurie is done with the group (if the Mapleton chapter ever recovers).

To be fair if Mapelton is anything like my sleepy town, after dark there is nary anyone around save the main roads, every so often. It is why they are dubbed "bedroom communities".

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Hrm did they ever say what time it is that the event happened? I'm asking because it seems like a possible "plot hole" that Nora's kids weren't in school / her husband wasn't at work.

We know it was late enough for:

* The Garvey kids science fair to be well underway (at school so it's a week day)

* Matt to successfully complete an entire doctors visit

* Same for Garvey Mom

* Kevin was far enough into his shift that he was able to help that woman, get to the hotel, etc.

* People were out grocery shopping

It doesn't really matter either way I'm just wondering out loud.

E: I'm bringing this up in the first place as an afterthought of "I guess most people wouldn't have their dummies placed in their house because they'd be at school or work", which adds a whole new layer of weirdness.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

That science fair scene could have happened towards the end of the school day no? And that could easily fit all those other scenarios no?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Nora's family was having breakfast though right?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
It struck me as happening sometime early-mid morning. The only scenario that really doesn't seem to fit is the Garvey children being in the middle of science fair while Norah's family was all having breakfast together.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

At my last science fair it was kinda an all day thing. On the subject of Laurie and her fetus absconding, during Guest when Nora is slipping back into the hotel after security threw her out, on her way back in she passes a monitor with a short list of panels that are going on and one of them was "Prenatal departures" which I thought was a neat thing to slip into an episode before The Garvey's at Their Best introduced us to the idea. It seems like the show gets a little bit better when all the pieces snap together. Also throwing my support towards the departed tumblr idea, its pretty neat and easy to do.

edit VVVV I'm sticking with it :colbert:

double edit: On second thought I can't make the timeline work either. Laurie specifically mentions that the dog breeder was at noon so either what we got was out of sequence or the writers hosed up.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Sep 17, 2014

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I really like the show but there's not much to do other than analyze the poo poo out of it now :downs:

Btw abscond is a pretty strange word choice there.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Okay just went back on HBO GO and the ultrasound machine says 2:23PM. I also was thinking it was late-ish morning when this all went down.

That's a little weird for the science fair, but it's in the realm of possibility for sure. However, Nora's wearing "I just got out of bed" clothes, pouring the kids orange juice while they chant "we want food!" (implying it's meal time) and the husband has his unopened briefcase next to him ... everything leans heavily toward breakfast pre-school/work but it's not explicitly stated, so whatever I guess.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

It was a Sunday and Nora's familly slept in that's why the kids are so hungry. Her husband was heading out to bang the teacher. They had the science fair on a sunday. Kevin's story doesn't realy matter what day it is.

It would also gently caress with people's heads more if it was God day.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Oct 14 2011 was a Friday. Forgot I could just look that up.

e: Also I must have skipped ahead before. In the scene prior she's making grilled cheese so it must be an after school snack or something.

fullroundaction fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Sep 17, 2014

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Ok well it was teacher planning day with a science fair. Work with me here dude.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
If it makes you feel better you could say that elementary/pre-k (norahs) starts slightly later than high school (jill). Although itd probably be the opposite in reality, whatever.

A while back somebody said that they thought the "let's hold hands and make a circuit" thing was silly but I thought it was kind of a neat and not terribly contrived way to continue the parallels between garvey father and son: they were both making physical contact with someone who disappeared.

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Sep 17, 2014

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Did Tom Cruise depart? Will Smith? maybe this show can move in the scifi direction

Tom Cruise left but got sent back.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I find it weird that the departed left with their clothing. Does anyone else think that?

Also, every time I think of this show, I realize how much I would lose my mind if that happened irl. I can cope with death, but this poo poo is creepy, and it's worldwide.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I hope the second season is a parallel universe where 98% of the world suddenly vanished and the last 2% are the ones we've been missing.

rich thick and creamy
May 23, 2005

To whip it, Whip it good
Pillbug
Or imagine you loaded up on some questionable tacos that day and they put you in a state of gastrointestinal distress. You quickly limp to the only toilet within your limited range of travel only to find it locked and occupied. You frantically bang on the door and shout that it is an emergency. The occupant tells you to keep your shirt on. Then it gets strangely quiet in there. The person on the other side of the door got departed you are locked out of a vacant toilet. Do you feel worse about crapping your pants or about possibly wishing someone out of existence in a moment of stress?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Eukodol posted:

Or imagine you loaded up on some questionable tacos that day and they put you in a state of gastrointestinal distress. You quickly limp to the only toilet within your limited range of travel only to find it locked and occupied. You frantically bang on the door and shout that it is an emergency. The occupant tells you to keep your shirt on. Then it gets strangely quiet in there. The person on the other side of the door got departed you are locked out of a vacant toilet. Do you feel worse about crapping your pants or about possibly wishing someone out of existence in a moment of stress?

It would make sense that that person departed, since you'd be wishing they just wouldn't exist.

Here I sit, broken-hearted
Tried to poo poo, but then departed...

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
There has to have been some really confused people that were somewhere secluded. Like you go on a camping trip with some friends and one of them goes missing. You search all day, but you're out of food so you hike back to get help. Then find out that it's happened everywhere.

There's also probably a ton of people that just accidentally killed someone and they got away with it easily since no one will go searching for the bodies.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I'd like to see an inconsolable restaurant patron who continues to bitch about the bad service despite the fact that half of the waitstaff got raptured. Like, they're fully aware of what happened, accept it completely, but still find the service unacceptable.

And now I just realized I'm writing fanfic. Gotta sign out for a while.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

fullroundaction posted:

I'd like to see an inconsolable restaurant patron who continues to bitch about the bad service despite the fact that half of the waitstaff got raptured. Like, they're fully aware of what happened, accept it completely, but still find the service unacceptable.

And now I just realized I'm writing fanfic. Gotta sign out for a while.

Yelp.com review: "If the staff even thinks you won't tip, they practically disappear and aren't helpful at all."

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

The cab passenger in Airplane! comes to mind.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

Eukodol posted:

In that case wouldn't both parties get departed? The guy already on the john because you wished they weren't there, and you because the occupant wishes you weren't there banging on the door.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I think it would be interesting if they included a character who took advantageous of the non-rapture and allowed people to think that he/she vanished. Perhaps they are a fugitive or want to disappear for any number of reasons.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Oh everyone's disappearing? Good time to hide these bodies!

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I wonder if one of the questions on Nora's questionnaire was "was the departed involved with organized crime?"

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
this:

Dr_Amazing posted:

I hope the second season is a parallel universe where 98% of the world suddenly vanished and the last 2% are the ones we've been missing.

especially if it alternates between the branches of this "forked" reality after spending an episode or two dedicated to introducing the 2% world.

and this:

lifts cats over head posted:

I think it would be interesting if they included a character who took advantageous of the non-rapture and allowed people to think that he/she vanished. Perhaps they are a fugitive or want to disappear for any number of reasons.

are both awesome ideas for s2 imho

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

best option for S2 is to put it in an entirely different city with new characters and show how other people handled the change. honestly would be more interesting, especially if you're into the GR element. we'd get to see how they operate in different places/communities and instead of Wayne screentime it could follow an entirely different cult.

I'd be mildly heartbroken at losing out on Amy Brenneman's strong acting and various cameos from Justin Leroux' bulge, but it'd be better off for the show IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
That bulge deserved its own Emmy.

• Locked thread