Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
There are far too many breadcrumbs they set up this season for the next season to focus on a new cast. Not happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
I hope a few new characters are introduced, but it would be really silly to drop all of these characters.

prezbuluskey
Jul 23, 2007
A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Season 2 should have Justin Theroux retake his role as Justin Anderson so we can see how Pawnee dealt with the 14th.

Jubilee3rd
Dec 12, 2003

Tomahawk posted:

There are far too many breadcrumbs they set up this season for the next season to focus on a new cast. Not happening.

Agreed. One such breadcrumb I hope will be picked up is Nora finding out Jill took part in the GR stunt...and maybe she was the one who put the dolls there...

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
The Bald Move podcast "Following the Leftovers" did a quick and dirty recap of the book vs the show in this week's episode/season wrapup if anyone is interested. I'll spoil the ones I remember for those that don't feel like listening (nothing major don't worry):

Book contains no clues as to what happened

Kevin was a completely sane person, and was the mayor not a police chief (and a boring character)

Kevin's dad, the dogs, the dog hunter guy all don't exist

Lori doesn't have a miscarriage, she joins the GR because she lost her best friend

Wayne doesn't die, he gets arrested and put away for banging minors and other things

Matt is an insufferable prick (and not Nora's brother)

Matt's wife (and kids) leave him after the rapture because they can stand being around him due to his obsession with it

The book ends at the exact same point the Season 1 did

There's a ton more information about the GR, which would be easier explained by them so go listen.

Amy leaves home because her stepdad molest(ed)s her. She and Keven almost hook up but don't, but THAT's why she leaves the house in the book, not because of a fight with Jill

And probably a bunch of stuff I'm forgetting.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
When I said I thought that exploring the parallel universe where 98% disappeared that it would follow the disappeared characters related to those from S1 (in a significantly bleaker world, probably somewhere between The Road and Mad Max) and then draw weird, mysterious connections between the two worlds. That type of poo poo is right up Lindelof's alley too and you know it. If the source material is done, I maintain that would be an interesting direction.

Otherwise yeah just keep S1 cast. Still plenty of the meat on the bone there.

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Sep 18, 2014

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
Has any show ever just dumped their whole cast to tell the story from a different perspective?? Seems crazy unlikely that would ever happen.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

The two percent world would be so hosed immediately. All our food comes from trucks that would now have no drivers. Nuclear power plants, Coal power plants, Oil power plants would be all of a sudden deserted. That sounds fun. It would be like The Walking Dead. Roaming bands of survivors killing eachother.

It would drive us back a thousand years.

Fragmented fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Sep 18, 2014

No bid COVID
Jul 22, 2007

I think if 98% of people disappeared, certainly things would be completely hosed because essentially everyone would suffer a nervous collapse, but if you changed it to 98% of families or something similar, it might be possible for most of the 2% to survive. There are a tremendous amount of resources available in any major urban area, for example, gas tanks at gas stations, food at stores and in warehouses, etc, and a key idea in general apocalyptic fiction is that resources get consumed in the chaos of the collapse without any chance of replacement. The small city in which I live has a population of about 100k, and we have at least 5 large grocery stores. 2% of that population is 2k people, or 400 people per major grocery store. Even when you ignore perishable food (which doesn't make sense really if it happened in a cold time of year) that's still food enough for a year or two. I'd make a similar argument with regards to fuel, and it would be trivial to steal a generator from one of the 3 major hardware stores here.

So, rather paradoxically, if you lived in a fairly urban area and 98% of families (loosely speaking, the idea is that not everyone is essentially alone) you might be more or less fine, because there's easily enough resources to support that 2% until it starts producing the most important things again.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

If that happened in real life, anybody outside of major cities probably wouldn't ever see anyone. I do kinda wish that number was a little higher even if it doesn't need to be for the narrative.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Fragmented posted:

The two percent world would be so hosed immediately. All our food comes from trucks that would now have no drivers. Nuclear power plants, Coal power plants, Oil power plants would be all of a sudden deserted. That sounds fun. It would be like The Walking Dead. Roaming bands of survivors killing eachother.

It would drive us back a thousand years.
Pretty much. My vote is for a continuation of the current story in addition to the creation of a spinoff series, "The Departed", about the 2% in mirror-world.

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Sep 18, 2014

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
There was an episode of sliders kind of like this. They go to a world where everyone has disappeared except one guy. Then later they end up going the world where everyone else got sent. It's all messed up because one day the world population suddenly doubled.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Popping in to say, I finally caught the finale and it was really excellent. They stuck to the book ending very closely but where they deviated it was in good ways I think. I especially liked Holy Wayne's wrap-up. It's OK that it was totally ambiguous. I liked Kevin's dream sequence but I hope it's handled very carefully in future season/episodes, because I'm still sore about Patti's uh, thing she did in the previous episode.

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe

Eukodol posted:

For me it wasn't so much that the characters were complex so much as for the first half of the season most of them were cyphers. For the first half of the season most of the characters ran around bouncing off of each other with very little insight as to their motivation for acting the way they did. Unless you want to point to The Big Thing That Happened and say that is and answer to all questions concerning motivation... well then isn't that just a bit too convenient. It's the big weird terrifying thing that allowed the writers to skate past character development for most of the season.

Episode 1: Wow everyone in this show is really irritated, anxious, on edge and seems to be acting out on everybody else. Some weird poo poo happens to some of them.

Episode 2: Everybody is still a shithead. New weird poo poo happens but not it's terribly interesting since who really cares if these shitheads are going insane?

Episode 3: HOLY poo poo actual character development! Depth even! Maybe this might get good!

Episode 4: Wherein we prove that last week was the anomaly.

etc, etc...

Viewing the the season I might say that this is better than average TV. That's based on the strength of 4 amazing episodes tipping the scales against the remaining 6 tedious ones. Though because of those six, I really doubt I will ever go back and rewatch this season.

For the record: I never got into Lost (seems to be a thing everyone harps on) and the only mystery I really contemplate is how in the world all these GR members manage to keep all their teeth. If they felt their mission in life is to piss off the world in order to point to a world-changing event, one would really expect more empty gums in their ranks.

This times a thousand. I was a fan of Lost (until the last season) but this show is just failing miserably at making me care about the characters. Maybe for those who have read the book the characters in this series appear complex and mysterious, but by the finale I could have honestly given half a poo poo about what happened to any of them given how thorough a job the writers did of making an apocalyptic narrative this drat banal. This show mostly gets 3/10 stars for making me laugh at the possibility that Justin Theroux (and not Louis CK) could ever be married to Amy Brenneman.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

Leviathan posted:

This show mostly gets 3/10 stars for making me laugh at the possibility that Justin Theroux (and not Louis CK) could ever be married to Amy Brenneman.

I don't think Justin is that bad looking.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Enjoyed this. Saw the first episode in the UK (it's just started here) just a few days ago, and decided to binge the rest because it seemed promising.

As someone in his thirties, I think I was wondering "Hold on, Liv Tyler's in this" and then saw Jill, and was like, no way, Liv has to be older now. Because poo poo, she looks just like Liv did 15 years ago in some shots.

Kevin and Matt are interesting characters that I think they'd be stupid to throw away, I can't see them heading a different way for a season 2. Of the other characters, Amy was kinda on the line between major and sideline character, but she was the only interesting young character, and I was sad to see her not in this episode. I hope they do more with her next season.

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Sep 21, 2014

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
There are things I hate about this show and things I want to love about this show. I will say the last couple episodes were a lot better than some of the sloggy bullshit in the middle of the season and what the GR did with the dolls was way better executed and more powerful than what I expected. That said, I understand that the source material didn't explain what happened or why, and I also acknowledge that any attempted explanation would likely go over terribly but at the same time the lack of explanation annoys me. Like, not so much with the disappearance itself, but with tons of the little details, largely related to the GR, it just reeks of the writer(s) trying to be deep and thought provoking without having to actually do something deep and well constructed, instead opting to just throw a bunch of vague bullshit at the wall and see what sticks.

It's like I said in an earlier post, this is kinda a MUCH better Under The Dome or late-era Lost, and while there are parts I find really great, the fact that I likely won't understand jack about poo poo even as the series goes on is probably going to eventually make me really frustrated.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Haha, I actually held off from watching this for a while because I hate Under the dome, and this looked similar.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I can understand people being upset that they don't touch on the central mystery of "what happened," but I think if they ever attempt to explain it, the show will have jumped the shark. I am more upset with all of the other, more mundane, mysteries that they set up and left hanging.

What did happen with Gladys? What are the ATFEC about and why are they burning cultists' bodies instead of investigating, as well as offering to go full-Waco on a moment's notice, what's with all the crazy animals, where's Waldo, where was Wayne, what are the non-GR cults doing, did the event solve the unemployment crises, and why is the mayor of New Bern giving away trucks?

The person who said the writers just threw everything at the wall to see what sticks hit the nail on the head. Some of this may have been answered in the books, but skimming wikipedia shows that they made pretty significant changes, so "read the book" seems like a lame answer for a tv series. Maybe I'm getting old. :bahgawd:

On the whole, I guess I liked it. I'll probably give the next season a try. But, personally, I'll be expecting a bit more. The show had some really great, intense scenes, but given where they went with it, it felt more like the show was being intense for the sake of "being intense," because this is HBO and we have to push boundaries. If there isn't a better payoff for getting invested, I doubt I'll stick around long.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
Some shows just aren't for everyone. If you need all mysteries, or in your case the "mundane" ones (of which most of your examples weren't), resolved each season, watch Boardwalk Empire. For the most part each season wraps up that season's events pretty well and you can just wait patiently for the next season to start.

Shows like this have other purposes. If it's not your cup of tea, it's not your cup of tea.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

What did happen with Gladys?
The GR killed her to make her a martyr (source Patti says it, but also in the book (different character though))

What are the ATFEC about and why are they [like they are]
You saw what happened when cults are allowed to operate unchecked, right?

what's with all the crazy animals
"the writers just threw everything at the wall to see what sticks". LOST style bullshit that will go nowhere I'm sure

At a cult compound, then a dirty NYC apartment complex, then on the run -> dead in a bathroom

what are the non-GR cults doing
Recruiting and being weird. The shoeless ones that Garvey Jr runs into are basically hippies / hedonists / do what feels good, man (source: book)

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

fullroundaction posted:

The GR killed her to make her a martyr (source Patti says it, but also in the book (different character though))

You saw what happened when cults are allowed to operate unchecked, right?

"the writers just threw everything at the wall to see what sticks". LOST style bullshit that will go nowhere I'm sure

At a cult compound, then a dirty NYC apartment complex, then on the run -> dead in a bathroom

Recruiting and being weird. The shoeless ones that Garvey Jr runs into are basically hippies / hedonists / do what feels good, man (source: book)

I picked all of that up from watching, I just didn't feel like any of those explanations went far enough for my satisfaction. Patti, specifically, seems like an unreliable source in that conversation, especially given the outcome she wanted. It's just as likely that Garvey did it in one of his sleepwalks, in my mind.

It's not an attack on the show, I just feel that they could have fleshed a lot of these things out more, especially w/r/t the wider panoply of cults and the government's response via the ATFEC. They set this up all season, but just left it on the vine at the end...maybe they will address it next season?

In any event, I don't want them to explain everything (and definitely not the central mystery of the show), but making the show show go :iiam: for huge swathes of the plot that they can choose to explain but do not felt like lazy writing. The atmosphere and acting were all top notch, so building it all up to just have the book ending of them all standing stupidly on Garvey's front porch seems disingenuous. Especially since the town had gone all Baghdad-'n-poo poo and he's supposed to be the head of law enforcement for this backwater. Then again, the show was so drat bleak that maybe we needed that little bit of Hollywood-closure to entice us to come back for a second season.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

That's a very good assessment. Ambivalence and mystery are fine, but the producers confuse that with being vague. Patti's "confession" is a good example. Lost threw in a lot of weird non-sequiters that had great effect with mixed results on explanation and payoff. Leftovers comes off clumsier and more poorly executed.

Automatic Slim fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Oct 1, 2014

Jubilee3rd
Dec 12, 2003
There's been something on my mind about the finale and I haven't seen anyone bring it up that I'm aware of. How does Kevin Garvey manage to run into a burning house and not succumb to smoke inhalation? Or first/second degree burns from being so close to the fire. He doesn't even give up a cough for crying out loud. Would the reference to the underwater spider be relevant here? A bubble was placed around Kevin that lets him survive extremes like that?

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
He asked Rev Wayne for a huge buff to his plot armor. Praise be to Wayne.

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I picked all of that up from watching, I just didn't feel like any of those explanations went far enough for my satisfaction. Patti, specifically, seems like an unreliable source in that conversation, especially given the outcome she wanted. It's just as likely that Garvey did it in one of his sleepwalks, in my mind.
Patti struck me as the complete opposite of an unreliable source. Half of that conversation was the writers speaking directly to the viewer. We killed Gladys, we will make you think of us and the departure, we will make your attempts to move on null and void, you don't like us because you know deep down that you can't move on from it and we are right, etc. Patti and a few GR members killed Gladys, whether the others were aware of it is unknown but possible. That they wanted a brutally murdered dead reminder martyr is not out of line of the entire ethos of a group based on being living reminders of the departure. It is not very mysterious, to me at least, why a group that believes it's bullshit that others are trying to go back to their normal lives and get on living would do this. Whether you think it is insufficient reasoning or in effective is kinda beyond the point - Gladys's death is not a mystery.

What is going on with the animals is not a mystery unless you're a canine psychiatrist of some kind? So I have to disagree with the reading that it is a "throw crazy poo poo on a wall to see what sticks" situation. Some domesticated animals, as exemplified by dogs, went nuts and basically feral when their owners disappeared in the departure. What else is there to question or explore on that front?

That the ATFEC has taken on seemingly extra-legal authority to murder/disappear cultists isn't a much of a mystery, though how/why they reached that point has not been explored yet. Knowing how/why it came to be doesn't seem to figure centrally into the plot. They aren't some shadowy unknown government agency, they're killing cultists because they think of them as a post-departure social disease that has to be eradicated at risk of it spreading, and they aren't investigating their deaths for the same reason. They could dedicate an episode to post-departure times in which a cult appears, does something bad, and the agency decides that the only way to deal with it is to kill them all, and no one raised a stink about it afterwards. It wouldn't teach you any unknown thing about them and there is no character to hang that decision on (yet), so what would be the point?

I mean, come on. Why the departure happened is a mystery, though one that will probably never be solved. How a guy being hunted by gun-wielding cult-killing government agents ended up shot isn't really much of one. Where a guy on the run was when he was off-camera not doing anything but being on the run is not a mystery, just unexplored.

Ashrik fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Oct 1, 2014

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Ashrik posted:

Some domesticated animals, as exemplified by dogs, went nuts and basically feral when their owners disappeared in the departure. What else is there to question or explore on that front?

I agree with you (and Toxic Fart's assessment), but I think what they meant was the way it was presented in the show. The writers went WELL out of their way to be like "there is DEFINITELY something supernatural going on with these dogs you guys!" several times, even though there's a simple explanation for what happened.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

fullroundaction posted:

I agree with you (and Toxic Fart's assessment), but I think what they meant was the way it was presented in the show. The writers went WELL out of their way to be like "there is DEFINITELY something supernatural going on with these dogs you guys!" several times, even though there's a simple explanation for what happened.
There are many elements in the show along those lines though, to the point that this assessment really characterizes its approach to the supernatural. And I don't see that as a weakness in a show about faith. With the exception of the Departure itself, every strange thing that happens in the show has at least a somewhat plausible explanation grounded in the way that we understand reality to work. But you'd have to be in Scully levels of denial to not admit to the possibility that something supernatural is happening.

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Oct 1, 2014

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Jubilee3rd posted:

There's been something on my mind about the finale and I haven't seen anyone bring it up that I'm aware of. How does Kevin Garvey manage to run into a burning house and not succumb to smoke inhalation? Or first/second degree burns from being so close to the fire. He doesn't even give up a cough for crying out loud. Would the reference to the underwater spider be relevant here? A bubble was placed around Kevin that lets him survive extremes like that?

Because it's a TV Show?

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Last Chance posted:

Because it's a TV Show?
He also isn't shown inhaling smoke or ever being within three feet of the flames.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

fullroundaction posted:

We've had one season.

One.

Do you need everything wrapped up already? Answered and explained?

ONE SEASON.

I'm not saying everything will be answered, but isn't it a bit early to be caught up on "BUT THEY HAVEN'T RESOLVED X, Y, and Z YET"

We've had ONE SEASON!#!^!@!#@(*!@

Maybe I just need to unbookmark this thread or I'll end up losing my mind. Some insightful posts, others just whiny. And I'm sorry to call you out fullroundaction, I don't think you're necessarily the worst example, I'm just a little tired of this theme.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Holy moly where are you even getting that I'm demanding answers? All I did was respond to someone else's criticism.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

LOST really hosed a lot of people up

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Professor Shark posted:

Your gimmick hosed me up, I'll never look at posting gimmicks the same ever again.

(Hope to see you in the season 2 thread next year :dance:)

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

fullroundaction posted:

Holy moly where are you even getting that I'm demanding answers? All I did was respond to someone else's criticism.

You're right, man. My response shouldn't have been directed to you at all. Sorry bro!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Xoidanor posted:

Your gimmick hosed me up, I'll never look at posting gimmicks the same ever again.

(Hope to see you in the season 2 thread next year :dance:)

Will do top buddy!

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Professor Shark posted:

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet
I just binge-watched the first season and really like how blinding rage has been given a leitmotif. It's like someone with synthesia snapped, banged his head against the wall for afew hours and then got hired because of his forehead calluses.

As for Hug Jesus, I don't know why no-one has taken the middle ground and called him a sin eater. Magic hugs are brilliantly ridiculously and the last episode seemed to show how they can do nothing for the underlying fury that maintains this show. It seems that catharsis is the only means of putting off total collapse. (The GR pogrom may have actually done some good in the short term)

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Sithsaber posted:

I just binge-watched the first season and really like how blinding rage has been given a leitmotif. It's like someone with synthesia snapped, banged his head against the wall for afew hours and then got hired because of his forehead calluses.

As for Hug Jesus, I don't know why no-one has taken the middle ground and called him a sin eater. Magic hugs are brilliantly ridiculously and the last episode seemed to show how they can do nothing for the underlying fury that maintains this show. It seems that catharsis is the only means of putting off total collapse. (The GR pogrom may have actually done some good in the short term)

You sure use a lot of fancy words for not saying anything!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

Shadow posted:

You sure use a lot of fancy words for not saying anything!

You sure waste precious seconds responding to "nothing"! Wait, I just did the same thing.

BYE!

Ps. Sin eaters were a thing in places like Britain up until the modern period. I heard his accent and just assumed Hug Jesus was a deluded imitator of that occult role.

SECOND BYE!

Sithsaber fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Oct 1, 2014

• Locked thread