Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

Menamino posted:

so how full of poo poo was Patti when she talked about how Gladys was cool with being killed and that the GR was responsible? Cuz Gladys was straight up abducted off the street with no witnesses and begged for her life the whole time. Did she have second thoughts, did the GR do it against her will, or did the GR have nothing to do with it at all? Although if they did do it, the brief flashes that Laurie had of Gladys getting stoned during that episode make a lot more sense since she could've actually been there herself.

Another good episode though. I'll play ping pong with you, twins :unsmith:

I think that she was blowing smoke to try to provoke Kevin more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I gotta say I have no idea what is going on and I'm hooked.

I really don't get the point of the GR though other than providing viewers with hate fodder because they walk over old dude who fell down and watch people and are generally an unwelcome presence everywhere, chain-smoking. I mean, what the gently caress. I'm sure I'm not the first nor the last to ask what the gently caress.

Also, Patti. Another what the gently caress.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
What the gently caress did I just watch? I am not even sure if I liked it.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

life is killing me posted:

I gotta say I have no idea what is going on and I'm hooked.

I really don't get the point of the GR though other than providing viewers with hate fodder because they walk over old dude who fell down and watch people and are generally an unwelcome presence everywhere, chain-smoking. I mean, what the gently caress. I'm sure I'm not the first nor the last to ask what the gently caress.

Also, Patti. Another what the gently caress.

Patti, who is one of their local leaders, doesn't even get their point, judging by the speech she gave. Like that poo poo double-backed around to the point where she was contradicting herself by the end of the speech, and if she really believed what she was saying then the Gr's actions certainly don't support her beliefs.

Slackerish posted:

I think that she was blowing smoke to try to provoke Kevin more.

I think that the GR really did do it. As much as we've seen people be pissed at them over the course of the season, we've never seen any of them try to band together or anything like that. There's Matt's religious group, but I don't see Matt leading a murder posse. Plus I figure if they were willing to commit such a brutal murder already, then they'd have done it again after the provocation of the break-ins.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

mistermojo posted:

Maybe its not a good idea to get rid of the best actor on the show

Wait, they killed the prius twins off screen? That's some bullshit right there.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
I really don't know why anyone thinks they are expected to like the GR. The GR are Westboro style antagonists. You're supposed to hate them. Get over it.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Tomahawk posted:

I really don't know why anyone thinks they are expected to like the GR. The GR are Westboro style antagonists. You're supposed to hate them. Get over it.

I'm well aware of them basically being objects for viewers' hate, there's literally no other way to view them because they are not likable at all.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

So the GR are going to display all the people who disappeared or something? Also when the dog killer guy walks out of the cabin he says 'oh shut the gently caress up, I tried', what was up with that?

And the whole thing with Patti, I kinda wish was she still around. The GR are much more interesting when they aren't mute. Fantastic episode but I'm pretty confused as to what's actually going on.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Toshimo posted:

All the good characters in this show:
Dean
Nora
Matt
Lucy
Aimee
Adam&Scott
Patti

Unlikable, boring assholes:
Everyone else.

Welp

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

cheerfullydrab posted:

Turned out that it was easy to make a "show about nothing", as long as that show was a comedy. Seinfeld will forever be known as the program that showed us how that could be done. But it would take nearly two decades before a final, entertaining, serious dramatic form of the "show about nothing" could finally be released to American TV audiences.

Treme

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

CODChimera posted:

So the GR are going to display all the people who disappeared or something? Also when the dog killer guy walks out of the cabin he says 'oh shut the gently caress up, I tried', what was up with that?

1) Yes, they are using the service that makes fake bodies in conjunction with pictures/clothes from the disappeared people to recreate them and "make people remember". I am actually really curious about how they are going to display it; like are they doing to break back into people's houses and pose people in beds/chairs/just chilling so people freak the gently caress out when they come home? Either way it's sure to be super hosed up.

2) He was hearing voices just like Kevin's dad, and presumably if we are supposed to think the voices are real this confirms that he is the person the voices sent to help Kevin.

This was a great episode but yeah it made everyone even more unlikable. At this point I kind of just want the town to tear itself apart.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

AxeManiac posted:

That was a good episode, this is a good show. I like how the Twins are trying to explain stuff for people too, that was great.

Dog Killer dude not having any background is interesting too.

He's an angel!

I like to think that when 2% of the population disappeared, new people showed up from some other Earth and Dog Man is one of them. No background, just having a blast in this new place killin' dogs.

Wiggly
Aug 26, 2000

Number one on the ice, number one in my heart
Fun Shoe

CODChimera posted:

Also when the dog killer guy walks out of the cabin he says 'oh shut the gently caress up, I tried', what was up with that?

I would have to re-watch it, but didn't Patti make some kind of noise as he was leaving? I thought he was directing it towards her?

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Wiggly posted:

I would have to re-watch it, but didn't Patti make some kind of noise as he was leaving? I thought he was directing it towards her?

I think Guy A. Person is right and he was hearing the same voices. Just like Scott Glenn always talks back to the voices, seems more likely that it was what dog-killer guy was doing too.

Weird dog-killer guy always has a dip in, I'm from the south and that poo poo is common here, but I guess I have to challenge my pre-conceived notions of upstate New York? I mean the guy SOUNDS southern.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

It really came off to me as he was saying Shut the gently caress up to Patti as she was breathing heaving, and yelled "I tried" as a general just frustrated comment directed at no one in particular.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Wiggly posted:

Yeah she does make a noise and that's what I initially thought but the "I tried" afterwards doesn't seem to fit.

I could see either explanation being right though.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Actually, considering she ended up pulling the shard of broken glass across her throat anyway, maybe Random Redneck In New York Who Kills Dogs With Absurdly Powerful Rifle knew she wanted to die.

I don't know. I also can see either being right.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
I've no idea why I'm watching this show. It's dumb as heck, nothing makes sense, every character is an idiot or an rear end in a top hat, but in some weird way it's entertaining. I'm kinda put off that the voices seem to be an actual 'thing' rather than the Garveys just being crazy, but it seems par for the course considering Wayne's magic healing powers and prophetic dreams.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

It sounded very much like the way Garvey Sr addresses the voices, and that was certainly intentional. Whether or not dogman was actually talking to the source of similar voices or not, we were supposed to make the connection.

The other option, revealed in the next scene, was that dogman was addressing Patti directly, as in "I tried to help you kill yourself". It is feasible that she convinced him to do it.

mamelon
Oct 9, 2010

by Lowtax
I enjoyed the goofy twist on the GR supposed motives: "They're not nihilistic, they just seem that way!"

But there was too much plot effort needed to result in Patti killing herself and thus taking the blame off Garvey. Some Lila-swoops-in-and-kills-Doakes lameness.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

mamelon posted:

I enjoyed the goofy twist on the GR supposed motives: "They're not nihilistic, they just seem that way!"

But there was too much plot effort needed to result in Patti killing herself and thus taking the blame off Garvey. Some Lila-swoops-in-and-kills-Doakes lameness.

Man, how would the blame be taken off Garvey? Unless you mean from the viewer's perspective, and not from a police standpoint. Like, if someone were to discover that cabin it has Kevin's fingerprints (and duty shirts) all over the place and she has clearly been beaten up and taken here against her will. Nobody would ever believe Kevin didn't kill her.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

James Woods Fan posted:

What the gently caress did I just watch? I am not even sure if I liked it.

That's my one sentence review of the seasons thus far

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

The Dave posted:

It really came off to me as he was saying Shut the gently caress up to Patti as she was breathing heaving, and yelled "I tried" as a general just frustrated comment directed at no one in particular.

I was thinking he said "I tried" to Patti too, because he was trying to kill her, which is what she wanted it seemed.

I was trying to explain this show to somebody, and the best I could come up with was, it was kind of like real life. If something like this happened in real life, people wouldn't know what happened. We might never get an answer, but it deals with how it impacted the characters. Some people are convinced they know what is going on, some people are upset, some accept it and they are all going to keep doing what they think is right, just as they did with everything else in life before the event. Getting caught up on "what happened, I hope they explain it" would be like being upset you don't get an answer on what religion is right. But I'm enjoying watching the characters deal with it.

HOT SQUATS
Sep 24, 2006

How all the DJ's cut
How all the DJ's cut
Cut me a slice of your track now
Did anyone notice the Simpsons reference with the gun in the vegetable crisper?

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

HOT SQUATS posted:

Did anyone notice the Simpsons reference with the gun in the vegetable crisper?

I did.

Anyway this show is pretentious and dumb as gently caress and full of unlikeable characters and utterly nonsensical but goddamn I can't stop watching. It's like a better produced Under The Dome or something.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
So I guess Lori's gonna have to encourage her teenage daughter to start smoking now

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

savinhill posted:

So I guess Lori's gonna have to encourage her teenage daughter to start smoking now

Also encourage her to do poo poo which is directly going to lead to her getting the poo poo beat out of her by a crowd of people...

That for me was the best part of this episode. Laurie just affirmed that they are going ahead with a plan which is likely to get many/all of them brutally attacked. Then her daughter walks in the door. The look on her face was chilling.

Also it looks to me like next episode will be Kevin hitchhiking back to town (since the dog shooter left him there) only to get back after the GR has pulled its stunt and all hell has broken loose. I'm pretty pumped for the next two episodes.

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

savinhill posted:

They can perform GR assisted suicides together, it'll be quality bonding time.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
makes abso no sense for liv tyler to start loving yapping away all through this episode. this show is trash

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

ICHIBAHN posted:

makes abso no sense for liv tyler to start loving yapping away all through this episode. this show is trash

She's new and undisciplined. That was just the most she has been tested while being a member of the GR.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

The Dave posted:

She's new and undisciplined. That was just the most she has been tested while being a member of the GR.

I just kept thinking that what she did to Matt was what she wanted to do to the GR before she joined the GR, like in the first episode. All of a sudden the tables are turned and she's part of the most reviled group of people in town.

In other words, I have no idea what my point is here.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

I just kept thinking that what she did to Matt was what she wanted to do to the GR before she joined the GR, like in the first episode. All of a sudden the tables are turned and she's part of the most reviled group of people in town.
I laughed pretty hard when she was yelling about Matt's group following her around and getting in her face with stuff and how dare they and how can we let them do that!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'm pretty pumped about Liv Tyler being slapped again, as well as Patti dying and the possibility of many more GR members dying soon.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Ersatz posted:

I laughed pretty hard when she was yelling about Matt's group following her around and getting in her face with stuff and how dare they and how can we let them do that!

Yeah, I laughed too. I am still waiting for the writers to explain why the gently caress she joined the GR in the first place...she was about to get married and poo poo and seemed happy enough and blew her top at the GR when they were watching her and her husband outside her house for whatever reason it is they watch people, then all of a sudden she's joining the GR.

I don't get it.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

she was about to get married and poo poo and seemed happy enough

She seemed absolutely miserable. Did she ever seem happy in the show? I just remember the dinner scene where she was awful.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

The Dave posted:

She seemed absolutely miserable. Did she ever seem happy in the show? I just remember the dinner scene where she was awful.

I'll have to go back and watch that scene and the other scenes in which she's involved.

Seems weird to me, still. It's like the GR is really just this place to run away to from whatever your life problems are, at least for most people. I'm not sure if there even is an ideology, but if there is I'm sure most of the members aren't there because they're gung-ho about the cause.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Yeah, I laughed too. I am still waiting for the writers to explain why the gently caress she joined the GR in the first place...she was about to get married and poo poo and seemed happy enough and blew her top at the GR when they were watching her and her husband outside her house for whatever reason it is they watch people, then all of a sudden she's joining the GR.

I don't get it.
She had been miserable ever since the not-rapture and, despite her fiancé's efforts, she couldn't find it in herself to move on. So she joined a cult that cultivates obsession and encourages depression.

Seems weird to me, still. It's like the GR is really just this place to run away to from whatever your life problems are, at least for most people. I'm not sure if there even is an ideology, but if there is I'm sure most of the members aren't there because they're gung-ho about the cause.
It's pretty much the go-to cult for people who are ready to give up on life, but aren't (yet) willing to kill themselves.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Ersatz posted:

She had been miserable ever since the not-rapture and, despite her fiancé's efforts, she couldn't find it in herself to move on. So she joined a cult that cultivates obsession and encourages depression.

It's pretty much the go-to cult for people who are ready to give up on life, but aren't (yet) willing to kill themselves.

NOT A CULT

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Ersatz posted:

Because *reasons*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Ersatz posted:

Yeah seems like the join just to make themselves more depressed so they can finally summon up the gumption to put a gun in their mouth and end it all, which most viewers probably wouldn't mind anyway if the whole GR went all Heaven's Gate or some poo poo. I'm still sort of expecting that.

• Locked thread