Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
I am invested in the show. I'd rather trust that the show runners know what they are doing and go on the journey they want to share with me.
That having been said, I still am questioning just what the hell I am watching. Which might be the point.
It reminds me of the film Cookie's Fortune. Which also featured Liv Tyler. Odd. Anyway, I was watching it and it felt painfully slow. At one point I realized that was a deliberate pacing choice and I accepted that people who know what they are doing got to together to make a thing. Then I enjoyed the hell out of a skillfully made movie. I hope this is similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
Sometimes a gun under the bed is just a gun under the bed?

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
I just feel the need to throw this out there. My Monday night DVR double feature is The Leftovers and The Last Ship, and I enjoy them both equally.

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
I want a spin off buddy road trip movie. Dog Sniper and The Twins.

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
Short answer: It's a discussion.

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
I gathered that post-departure a whole lot of cults popped up. Some are harmless like the barefoot bullseye hippies. Some are like Wayne, compound savior types. And more than a few are really dangerous, well funded national groups like the GR. And in that kind of situation the government had declared a secret war/martial law kind I deal. Whatever it takes to make things seem normal. Which is where you get wholesale slaughters of compounds on flimsy legal justification.

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker

Flesh Forge posted:

Interesting that you immediately write them off as harmless, because the show told you to. There's no way they won't go back to that group.

I just made an inference, based on the barefoot/hippy connotation and their general attitude. In the absence of other evidence I filed them under harmless.

Edit: I would say the they were shown being harmless, as opposed to being told they were harmless.

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
Matt's wife.......
When I saw her walking around at the party I recognized her face but couldn't place the character..... Because she was walking around. Then it hit me.
Awesome episode.

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
It's also the difference between remembering the Departure as a past event/tragedy and as something that is still tangibly affecting the world. A memorial service makes the departure a THING THAT HAPPENED and not a THING THAT IS. The GR don't ever want people to put the Departure in the past. They think it's something that can't be reconciled, filed away, and moved past.

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
In regards to learning about what actually happened I look at it like the background story of Wolverine. For years it was so much fun speculating and wondering about what kind of life he must have lead and what made him the man he was.

Then we found out. And it was an okay story I guess. But now we all know. And......Well. Now we know. Mystery gone.

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
I think he it was more that he was trying to handle it above board and within the local government, time and time again, he was the only one that actually took them seriously as a threat. His hands were tied and he got little support except when skulls needed cracking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
The LOSTovers, Season 2.

• Locked thread