Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Al Nipper
May 7, 2008

by XyloJW

oswald ownenstein posted:

It's kind of like going back to highschool and remembering the goth (or emo if you're younger) kids who demanded to be taken seriously for their deep dark pain:

Ahahahaha I started skipping ahead before this and wish I hadn't. The cult is so loving stupid. Compare it to the initial threat and reveal of The Others, there is nothing intriguing or frightening about a bunch of chain smoking women in a halfway house.

Also I can't get past the central concept that the disappearance of a few million people would cause that much social unrest outside of their immediate families. Like would teenagers really give a gently caress? Nevermind the formation of cults. Did any of that happen after 9/11?

This whole thing feels like an early 2000 basic cable pilot and I'm shocked it's on HBO. I feel this will be Lindelof's Shyamalan moment, when people realize LOST (the beginning anyway) was a fluke and it's only getting worse from here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Nipper
May 7, 2008

by XyloJW
I mean initially, yeah. I guess I'm putting too much faith in people's ability to get over bad poo poo that doesn't directly effect them.

I guess the supernatural aspect may have more effect. Or less in that it's not as grisly or shocking as terrorism or mass murder.

Also as others have said the number is relatively low, and for some reason disproportionately concentrated in this one town. If it'd been half the world's population I could understand. There have been pandemics far worse than this and people still got through that somehow.

Al Nipper fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jul 3, 2014

• Locked thread