Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
The best episodes have been the ones that center on one character. Although I have to say Cairo was pretty good, and I can feel for the Garvey guy to some degree. The final pieces of his life that were holding him in place are pretty quickly giving way now. The big question to me which we may never get an answer is what the hell it is that him and the father see and/or lose time to?

edit: Also the minimalist score is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Sober posted:

Kevin felt like he was not in control of his life, that was the message I got. Literally everyone just shits on him in this episode (and mostly in the present anyway) no matter what he does. Father and the department laugh him out for wanting to save the deer, everyone has this perception he's mooching off Laurie (who I assume was making most of the money), Laurie doesn't like how he handles Tom (since Tom is not Kevin's actual biological son). Oh and his father literally just shits on him during his birthday party (and at great heights) and basically tells his son be stay mediocre because he's probably a trophy husband to Laurie, who he thinks is making all the decisions in the household.

Then he bumps into that woman (I thought she was Indian, not Middle Eastern, but whatever) and seemingly finally gets what he wants (well, the deer in exchange for her basically offering herself to him) and she gets departured away mid-gently caress. It's like someone is punishing him for trying to assert himself.

I think the best part is that Kevin in the present is basically one step from losing his mind and he is being constantly entangled in poo poo he does not even remember doing. Generally, I am kind of sympathetic to him; not because he is a great guy or anything, but because like you said it just feels like the guy keeps getting kicked even when he is down.

It was also a pretty big :masterstroke: to save this episode for later. At first I kind of groaned at a huge flashback episode, but it does an interesting job of filling in blanks in a way that would have been powerless if this was the first or second episode. Raptured foetus was horrible, and poor Garvey cannot even get some without the universe laughing at him.

edit: Finale in 2 weeks, oh gently caress you HBO.

unlawfulsoup fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Aug 25, 2014

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
Someone actually tabbed out the main theme (Vladimir's Blues) for guitar. That made my day, and I know what I will be doing for the next couple of days. :D

Also the finale was excellent, I am stoked for a second season even if there is no more source material.

Fragmented posted:

Kevin and the priest rolling back in to town and everything that happened after that was awesome. I guess I can understand people hating on the show, but drat. For me that was the best ending of any show this season. I guess I don't really care about the why of it all so maybe that makes a difference? I'm not religious at all, I'm a science nerd so I don't really care what happened unless it is explained.

I agree, it was this crazy release for everything the characters had bottled up. Also, I am fine with this show not explaining things because whatever explanation they came up with would probably be awful and end up ruining any actual power an inexplicable event has. I was fine going into this show knowing that mystery would not solved.

unlawfulsoup fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Sep 12, 2014

• Locked thread