Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Max
Nov 30, 2002

Fuligin posted:

I dunno I thought it was pretty good. It seems like it's intentionally going for a slower, melancholic pace, and that's fine by me. Also a feeling of disorientation is kind of the point. But yeah gently caress stupid moody "teen" storyline, it was the worst part of the pilot by far. I'm not optimistic about Liv Tyler either but I guess we'll see.

The thing I noticed and actually really appreciated is that there was never a moment where the creators left us hanging with some stupid tease about what's really going on. There is no indication that anyone knows anything, and it looks like it's going to stay that way, and I'm perfectly fine with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I do agree with the reviewers that the comedy of the show was lost due to the complete melancholy of the actors. There were some really funny bits in there that fell flat or ignored because everyone is so drat morose. Gary Busey and Shaq getting raptured aside, the cop complaining about calling his brother-in-law a hero because he was a dipshit in real life was pretty funny.

I don't think we're ever going to get a reason for the disappearances. I think that can work as a premise as long as the show never pretends to be leading to an answer, and just commits to its ambiguity.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

R. Mute posted:

I don't expect a big 'why/where did they go' or 'what happened' plot, I know this is about the characters and how they deal with this strange bizz, but what I'm saying is that it'll stray even from that and become a muddled mess.

Eh, maybe. If this wasn't already based on some written material, I would believe that.

I do wonder how long they can stretch out one book, though.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

bryn987 posted:

Considering Lindelofs track record, I have no problem with not explaining the event. However, if they keep adding to that mystery without explaining it, then I will be pissed. They've already started doing this by making some of the people that disappeared seem unworthy of a rapture so we will see.

I actually think that making it random was done to take the air out of the idea that it may be the actual christian rapture. That way you have both science and religion shrugging their shoulders.

If they start showing a mysterious man appearing in the cop's dreams and telling him "You gotta go to Boulder" and then tease that out for 4 seasons before going "Gotcha!" then gently caress that. Again, I'm hoping they just commit to the ambiguity and never even bother to explain what happened.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Dryb posted:

I think he felt the mayor was throwing barbs at him because his wife was one of them.

Were we supposed to believe that his wife had been raptured, until the reveal at the end? That's how I read it, unless I missed a very obvious visual clue.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Sober posted:

It was pretty obvious he was cheating on his wife, but up until he visits her at the GR homes, they didn't explicitly tell you. They even purposely framed the shot where he smashes the family photo impossible to read. Although it was weird the daughter took the glass out AFTER her father goes to the mother; could've cut inbetween or put before that scene for shock value, I guess.

Yeah, they had that moment where the guy the daughter has to choke says "sorry about your mom" and it read like they wanted you to believe she had been raptured. His hatred of the GR makes more sense looking back on it.

I liked the pilot as well. It's interesting to me to see a pilot that doesn't end with a strong plot hook. It feels closer to the way older HBO dramas were constructed.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Mr. Boogie posted:

By the way, I kind of have to admire the balls on Lindelof to adapt a book where the premise is "a mysterious thing happens and we're never going to get an answer to it" given how much people hated him after Lost for that exact reason. I'm already seeing speculation online with theories about alien abduction and all that, and when this show ends with no reveal about the departure, people are going to have the exact same violent reaction towards Lindelof that they did 4 years ago. I have to admire him for being interested in this project and pursuing it because he believes in it, all the while knowing for a fact that he's going to have to go through poo poo from fans all over again.

Hopefully the difference between the two shows is that this one doesn't make the audience think that answers are out there. Lost pulled some real BS maneuvering by implying there was an answer and we were going to eventually arriving at it before pivoting and going "Sorry, this is how the real world works, sucks that you built up your expectations."

If this show doesn't pull that, I think it could be really interesting.

Placing the show in a small town with limited resources sort of solves this problem as well. I can imagine a story about some plucky hero who is valiantly solving the case as we speak, but we'll never see that since these people are stuck in a tiny town and have their own personal concerns.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

ApexAftermath posted:

I thought it was fantastic and I really don't get the "it's boring" complaints during the live posting. We have some pretty strong characters and really the only part of the episode I got a little annoyed with was the stuff with the kids partying, but even that makes sense given how broken society is after the event.

I saw an ad for the show that actually did a better job explaining the kids partying thing then the show did. Or maybe it will be explained better in the future.

They summed it up as basically no one knows why anyone was taken, or if anyone will be taken in the future, so teenagers now just don't give a gently caress because who knows if or when another rapture event will occur.

Edit: I was curious if we'll see anyone that physically was looking at someone as they disappeared, and if we'll get an account of it. Like, did they just pop out of existence?

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Tomahawk posted:

I think this show is actually a sequel to Lost. LEFTOVERS is an anagram for LOST FEVER. Makes you think...

I like to think of this show as something taking place in a universe like Lost, Fringe, Flashforward, etc. Except instead of focusing on the intrepid heroes as they travel around the world trying to solve this giant mystery, we're seeing what all the normal people in that world see and deal with, where they can't do anything other than put their hands up in the sky and yell "WHAT THE gently caress IS GOING ON!"

I watched the first episode again, and knowing that the cop's wife is the woman in the GR really makes a lot of things more clear.

There were also a lot of nice little touches in the set design that remind me of the way Children of Men dealt with background information. The entire GR household has removed all their mirrors, and has a bunch of empty picture frames set up all over the house. That deer shows up early when the cop tells the woman about her dead dog as a statue in her lawn, so maybe he is going nuts. It was a nice visual flourish.

NESguerilla posted:

I only had time to watch about 45 minutes if the pilot before I had to go to work but I'm already pretty wary of the show and all of the "mysterious" stuff that is going on. I'd probably be more intrigued by it if I didn't know that the dude from Lost was involved. I don't really feel like being strung along for 2 season all over again before I realize what I'm watching is lazy bullshit that will never be satisfying in the end.

I think the big difference between this show and Lost is that Lost implied that an answer would come, eventually. This show seems to be very upfront about letting you know that the big "mystery" is never going to be answered, and that this is a lot more about the characters' day to day life. I know there are those two cults that seem like they know something, but in the end I think they're just cults who have a message they want to spread, nothing more.

Max fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jul 1, 2014

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I saw this and yeah it's gonna be another Damon Lindelof film/tvshow where nothing is ever explained. I'm honestly not sure why that man continues to get work, when he literally does the same story over and over and over again. Film Critic Hulk is stupid, but his summation of Lindelof's single story is extremely accurate. The story starts off with "There is a mystery, I want to know." There are vague biblical and christian theology here in the middle of the story that are mostly about Damon's crisis of faith, and how when he prays God doesn't respond. The final answer to the mystery is at the end is conversely the answer that God is (presumably) giving him: "You can't know."

Again, I think this is a different beast all together, because the show never really promises the viewer that it will answer the questions. Everyone and everything involved with this shows seems very upfront with the fact that the cause of the non-rapture will never, ever be explained.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Junkenstein posted:

Most people won't have read interviews with the writers etc. beforehand. Most won't even know that 'That Lost Guy' is involved with this. With that in mind, if the show frames the Whatever-Rapture as a mystery to be solved, you can't blame people for that.

But it didn't. One of the first scenes of the show is a scientist sitting in front of a congressional hearing telling everyone he has no idea what happened, and apparently neither do any of the religions. There isn't some crazy backwards dude that's screaming about how he knows what's going on (he's just shooting dogs), and almost everyone in the town wants to just get on with their life and the ending hook of the pilot was character development.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Tomahawk posted:

I'm not sure that they have. Source?

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...-leftovers.html

Given how much TV doesn't like to make definitive statements about the plot until its all over, I doubt you'll find a quote of him saying "There will definitely never be an answer," but this comes pretty close:

Lindelof posted:

Because the book embraces this idea of, “I’m not going to tell you about The Departure; I’m not going to tell you how or why these people went, because that’s not what the story is about. The story is about these characters living under the condition of felling like they’ll never know. If that’s the show that you want to watch, that’s the show that we want to write. But that might not be the show that people want to watch.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Edit: beaten - Lost also promised answers, which is why it was so built up. One mystery led to another, and another. This show doesn't seem to be doing that.

Anyway, like I said, he can't really come out and say "no, we will not answer the question." But every bit of media from him suggests that it just won't be explained.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Philthy posted:

I just want to know what happened to the missing people. Is it a god thing? Did any prisoners from rape penitentiary disappear? How about from Murder U?

People here are saying they don't want to focus on that, but the characters they've shown thus far are completely boring and uninteresting. I want to know more about the missing people more than the ones left behind.

It is better than True Blood, though.

Given what the creator has said, maybe don't watch this show if that's what you want.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Philthy posted:

Yeah, you might be on to something. I had no idea, honestly. I'll nuke it from my season pass.

Ok, cool, glad I could help.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

E the Shaggy posted:

I bet an actress could convey the necessary emotions to hammer that idea home.

I had forgotten just how bad Liv Tyler could be.

I'm digging the show, but then again, I like weird poo poo and have voluntarily sat through quite a lot of tortuous films, so I get why this isn't going to click with people.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Slackerish posted:

They're making it very obvious that they don't want to reveal GR's purpose and why people joined them just yet, did you really expect a crystal clear picture of everything in two loving episodes?

I was actually thinking about this last night, and I think I hit on why the GR is kinda missfiring for people.

All the other Garvey's are in the dark about things. They don't know much about anything and are left to their own devices to figure it out.

Contrast that with the mom, who is actually in a place where she does know something significant (ideology and purpose of the GR,) but she's not in a place to inform us about what that is. So instead, the audience surrogate is going to be Liv Tyler. And that's not a good thing.

It's a shame, because I would really much rather see and understand the inner workings of the GR and their day to day life. Instead we're getting the mysterious indoctrination stuff that isn't going to hit that well because the actress can't really support it.

I remember in the advertising that lead up to the show, Liv mentioned that the character she plays had a seriously diminished role in the books (I think it was a one off character that never shows up again) but that she felt she needed to really embody and expand her.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Siets posted:

She's fine. I'm just gonna chalk it up to :bandwagon:

It's not really. She's a fine person, but the scene where she freaks out at Laurie in the woods about the tree was pretty bad. From an acting standpoint, there was no build up to the moment and her reaction seemed very flat.

I am not a fan of her acting. You may be.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

thathonkey posted:

Been reading this thread and it seems like a lot of people are confused re: candy.

Gummy bears still exist in the world. Amply. The kid just had to smuggle them into the cult's compound because Wayne enforces all types of crazy rear end rules. The world is fundamentally the same. They obviously picked the percentage of population to disappear at a number high enough that it would impact an appreciable of those who remained but at the same time low enough that it would not fundamentally change the global economy, commerce, etc etc

It's actually simpler than that. She currently lives on an out of the way closed compound that is guarded and sees very little traffic. There just isn't any time for someone to run out and buy some gummy bears/worms on a regular basis, unless you're one of the dudes that drives visitors in and out.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Yeah, that stuff got really bad.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

The Piper posted:

just to make sure I didn't hallucinate it: the Mayor is romantically involved with Garvey Sr, right? They kissed when she was leaving from visiting him in the mental hospital and she told him about Garvey Jr going dog-hunting.

You hallucinated it. They're just good friends, and would have been working together for a while since he was the previous sheriff.

Cotato posted:

What makes you think his father is crazy?

There was certainly an aspect of "ghosts are telling him true things." However, telling someone you haven't lost your poo poo and then immediately having an argument with an invisible person is a pretty big indicator that you are crazy.

Geno posted:

Her char/acting reminds me of Betty Draper

I kind of agree with this, insofar as J Jones and Liv Tyler have pretty limited ranges. Betty played well for a few seasons, though, because her role on the show fit what Jones could do really well. Once it started moving her character away from that material, things started to fall apart for her.

Liv's character seems to already be out of her comfort zone, so we may never see her play it well. Or maybe we will!

Max fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jul 7, 2014

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Carteret posted:

I don't know many "good friends" who kiss each other on the mouth :v:

I do but I may also hang out with weird people, so I guess I don't know anything about anything.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Dirk Pitt posted:

I re watched the pilot because there is nothing on my DVR. Is the GR trying to recruit the chief or were they just stalking him for kicks at the bar when he was talking to laundromat lady?

Very likely trying to recruit him. I doubt that will be the case after he drunkenly assaulted one of their guys.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

the posted:

One thing I wonder which I don't know if they answered or not: Did anyone actually witness anyone disappearing? The Pilot made it seem like people vanished out of sight. I didn't know if anyone had actually seen anyone, because then that might shine some light on what happened. Did they just "blip" out? Were they lifted into the sky by a white light? Did they transport out like on Star Trek?

I wondered that earlier. Maybe Kevin's dad did, since he went nuts.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

In the pilot there was also the kid walking around yelling for his dad. Also I'd have a hard time believing that with 140 Million plus people that not a single person had eyes on someone so I'd venture to guess it would be like they just beamed away in an instant. I'm also interested in Nora's storyline. Like a few others when they introduced the whole gun thing and then she visited that house I really thought it was like some sort of euthanasia thing but I'm a bit glad it wasn't. The questions that she was asking were also pretty interesting as far as trying to get an idea of what exactly the gently caress happened. What did all of these people have in common? Given what the creators have said I doubt we'll get much in the way of in depth on the event itself, but I'm still onboard with the show. Really don't know what the gently caress about gun dude and why are there so many wild dogs now? In a small town like that not too many people would have disappeared so there shouldn't be a reason that there are roaming packs of formerly domesticated dogs.

They have shown other domesticated dogs that are fine. There was one sitting around during the Heroes Day thing in the pilot.
From my own experience with dogs, they tend to be looking at their owners far more than people look at each other in day to day interactions, so it makes sense that more of them would have gone bonkers.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

tadashi posted:

I mean that and the guy in the bed was like 20 years younger than the guy running around.

They probably hadn't cast the father when they filmed that shot of him running around naked, so it's just some generic dude's back instead of a distinct face.

Then again, most of those quick flashbacks are from behind with obscured faces.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

maniacripper posted:

Go back and watch it again. The scene in question is a smash cut right when someone is talking about the father's incident or however they phrased it.

It's the father.

I'm agreeing with you. I'm saying there's confusion because no one saw his face, and since it was the pilot, it's safe to assume he hadn't been cast yet.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Alberto Basalm posted:

Yeah 2% of people dying worldwide would all its own be one of the biggest events in history, but the fact that they disappeared without explanation is what makes it the most significant event in all of history. Or it would be if it really happened.

Yeah, that event would be enough to completely destroy people's faith on a very large scale. It's major.

Also, I liked this episode, despite a lot of the plot twists being telegraphed like crazy. Everyone in the episode was solid.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

tadashi posted:

Yeah, the "Hugs" guy's cult is out west but the smokers are in NY where most of the characters we see live. At least that's how I understand it from the AV Club's coverage.

Considering the insanity of what the preview showed, I wonder if they'll switch back-and-forth between character-centric and present tense episodes. I think it works well to give us an overview of where people are first and then take us into the back stories of some of the characters. I like how they blended the present and past tense through the dream sequences.

It was also nice to see it was integrated into the opening scene. It makes the car crash more than just a spectacle.

Makes me wonder if we'll see any more characterization of the boy screaming for his dad or the mother.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

thrawn527 posted:

So I get almost all of the dreams/visions the priest had, but what was going on with the one of him in the hospital with the doctor telling him it was spreading? Did I miss something there? Or is that one just not explainable yet?

edit: Oh, also, why was the episode titled Two Boats and a Helicopter? That one I'm assuming is just something I missed, but I have no clue what that's supposed to be referring to.

It would have been easy to miss, but in his opening speech he talks about a little boy that asked god for attention and was then diagnosed with Leukemia. Then he describes the little girl who is in a coma and he says "That little boy is asking for your attention again, please pray for her." He was describing himself. I think that scene was when he was actually diagnosed by the doctor when he was a little boy, just played by adult Eccleston.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I watched this episode again. I like it even more the second time. Matt's character seems like the most interesting to investigate in the scenario the show sets up. A man who's entire belief system is presented with undeniable proof that something is actually out there, and watching him do everything he can to ignore it is pretty amazing.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

If you're listening, you can hear his native accent while he speaks, but it's not bad / it stopped bothering me by the time he baptized the baby. And his acting is great, I don't know how you could think he would let something small like an accent get in the way of that.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

fullroundaction posted:

I don't think it's a game changer or anything, he just sounds like someone recovering for a mild stroke to me. I guess I'm on the opposite side of things where I can't see how it wouldn't bother people that a professional actor fails to sound like a normal person.

To each their own. Eccleston's best acting has always been done on his face anyway. He's very emotive.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

It's basically Stockholm Syndrome.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

thathonkey posted:

You must not be familiar with the True Detective thread :smug:

I am not relishing that experience when the second season rolls around.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Can we discuss whether the GR that were hanging out in front of the church were actually trying to recruit Matt, or were they scoping out their potential new digs?

Max
Nov 30, 2002

fullroundaction posted:

I wonder if he even would have been able to get the church, or if the banker guy was just putting him off because he knew there was no way Matt could come up with the money.

I'm not a banking/real estate expert but I don't think you can just walk into a bank with a bloody envelope full of money and that is the financial equivalent of the GR's lawyer-drafted, bank-approved title transfer paperwork.

I got the feeling he would have let him do it, if it was at all possible. He was trying to get a hold of him for a while, Matt was just ducking his calls.

Like, that would have been much more possible had he just addressed the phone calls when he first started getting them.

messagemode1 posted:

The thing that took me out of the episode the most was the sort of cliche dream-immolation and his sister's uneven acting when he asked her for money.
At several points in that scene I was taken out of it by her capital A Acting.

She was kind of putting it on, but it really hit home when he dropped the "your husband was cheating on you" bomb.

tadashi posted:

I think the idea was that we were led to believe in the beginning that they were watching him but, as it turns out, they were just watching the church. That makes it more of a "gotcha" moment.

Unlike the GR who watch Liv Tyler, the GR who are watching the church are not shown to be watching Matt anywhere else, as far as I remember.

I got that.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I was trying to think about what the "Two Boats" were in the episode. The bank guy trying to call him for weeks has to be one, and his sister telling him she'll give him the money if he just stops his investigations must have been the other one.

I don't know about the helicopter.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

IMB posted:

Maybe he took the helicopter.

Then some rear end in a top hat bird got caught in the engine and "OH NO! I'M IN A COMA!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Knives and Hot Dust posted:

Somebody brought up that he has 160k with no burden to continue running the church now. Maybe that is the helicopter.

For another character, like one of the teenagers, that makes sense. But for his character, I doubt he cares that much about personal wealth.

Like, he wasn't burdened with it to begin with. It was foreclosed and he was staying there only because the bank let him. Dude could have walked whenever.

• Locked thread