Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Jack Gladney posted:

I can't wait for him to do a pretty good job making the show, but then blow years of good will when his thin-skinned narcissism makes him attack all the viewers for the next five years because some people were rude to him about the ending.

I really hope this thread is full of tired, rehashed posts like these!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

This episode was great.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Sober posted:

It would be interesting to see exactly if Nora is assigned people who needs the form filled out or she works in Mapleton. But I suppose it doesn't matter because the whole thesis of that part of her was supposed to say that was she kinda giving off that vibe unintentionally because of her view of the world in the wake of the departure of her entire family.

^^^ e: f;b

Yeah, but 100%? There wasn't a single person that overlooked the way she asked the question? Seems a bit odd, but humanity is seemingly losing its mind, after all.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I'm hooked. This show does have some serious ups and downs, though.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Snowy posted:

I was hoping you guys would see the little Jeff K shoutout on the refrigerator!

I was working on the show for a little while and was able to get that in there for fun :toot:

Haha, I noticed it! I thought it was way too far-fetched for it to actually be a real SA reference, though. Nice.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

This show makes me feel weird when I watch it. I get these weird cold sweats-- I think it triggers some deep seated anxiety or something.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

lifts cats over head posted:

The dog guy just wants to see things through so he can get that dollar.

He did get really pissed off when he thought Kevin was trying wiggle out of the bet by faking amnesia.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I just want to know what GR has planned for their real dolls and clothes. It's going to be hosed up.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Flesh Forge posted:

[...] it's still pointless because their token appearance at the dance is just as diversion so they can go do their mass theft of people's mementos of the Departed, which itself has no consequences

They are clearly building up to something with the mementos, though. I don't think it's just going to be a pointless exercise.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Flesh Forge posted:

Maybe they'll go somewhere with it later, I don't know, but what I meant was the event that appears to be a consequence - Gladys' murder - ends up being really not. All the careful maintaining of the status quo is frustrating. And oh god obviously they're not going to maintain that status quo forever right? No no of course it's going to go somewhere later.

Well, they've already revealed that they've stolen the mementos in order to make real doll versions of people, right? And if I'm not confusing my GR members, Gladys has been used by the reverend-guy as a poster girl for his cause, right?. I don't think we've seen the last of Chris Eccleston.

My point is, I guess, that it's sort of silly to say that things we've seen don't have consequences or haven't paid off when they actually are and the season's not over yet.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

What in the actual gently caress is this

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Tomahawk posted:

This show has been pretty deliberate with its breadcrumbs so I really don't see them not coming back to that scene at some point.

Yeah, it really looks like the show's presenting us with the idea that some people knew what was coming to varying degrees. I can't imagine them dropping that idea.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Then again, likeness rights do exist for a reason. I'd assume you wouldn't want to make a replica of someone and sell it if they're alive and willing to sue you.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Christ, this thread has been trying to answer that question after every single episode that's aired. I personally think this show is great.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

God drat it

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

AxeManiac posted:

Most likely those dolls are stolen and the delivery men shouldn't have given them to the GR, that was most likely bribe money or payment for taking them.

But wouldn't those who ordered one notice that their loved one's avatar had shipped but had gone... missing? Boy, talk about déjà vu.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Semen Arsonist posted:

was it ever explained how the priest won gambling?
It was against Jacob's rules for him to lose. They explained this in season five.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Slackerish posted:

They were "making them remember" and with GR's MO of antagonizing everyone I'm sure they were going for a "more creepy" angle.

Or the more economical one since they were ordering in bulk.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Loved this episode, thought it was the strongest in the season. So, did the Jesus-guy grant Nora's wish a too? Is that why the baby showed up at her door?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

WeAreTheRomans posted:

She didn't wish for anything, the baby wasn't at her door, and you're not going to get any unambiguous answers to these types of questions.

Well, thanks for letting me know, I guess.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

WeAreTheRomans posted:

The whole show is basically an exploration of a post-Gary Busey society
Haha, I just remembered that Busey was gone. Didn't an earlier episode touch on the fact that the entire main cast for some show disappeared? Can't remember which show it was though, was it Seinfeld?

Subterfrugal posted:

Controversial opinion: The GR are tragic heroes. :colbert:

Even though Survivor's Guilt isn't a thing anymore, (it was wrapped into PTSD a while back), almost every character in the Leftovers is mired in it. People were either shattered by the mystical nature of the Departure (Kevin, Nora, Laure, etc), or by the collateral effect the Departure took upon others. Jill didn't lose anyone close during the Departure created the ultimate conditions that broke up her family. Even where there is a definite, logical cause for a tragedy, it is our nature to blame ourselves. If a loved one dies in a car accident, one might retrace the events leading up to it and blame themselves for whatever they did to contributed to bringing their loved one to the wrong place at the wrong time. If Matt hadn't gotten a completely clean bill of health, for example, they wouldn't have left the clinic at the same time and thus avoided the accident that made Donna a mute.

At our most basic level, we're problem solving monkeys who recognize cause and effect. A completely random departure doesn't fit with how we understand the world to work. Given a completely random event, it is our nature to impose some sort of reason upon it. Almost every character we've seen so far who is Not Okay has a reason to blame themselves. But that's crazy. It isn't logical to believe that you somehow managed to wish grandma into the corn field and it certainly doesn't explain why millions of assholes you don't know vanished also. Government studies will address and eliminate possible causes (not radiation, not the commies, the Moon didn't seem to do anything weird) but there will never be an official finding that "you didn't cause this." And so, in quiet moments, how can it be anyone else's fault?

Now enter the nihilistic, antagonistic GR. Every day, there they are, silently judging you for what you know you did. Sure you hate them, but it burns because they can see your secret shame. If you feel bad enough about it, you join them and spend your days rubbing peoples' noses in it. All day everyday until you pull your memorial day prank and you get shived by a lady coached your daughter's soccer team. The GR gives all these people a target for their guilt and rage and a motivation to let it go. I'm thinking of the parents of the down syndrome kid as they threw his body-double into the fire saying to themselves "We're letting him go so you don't get the satisfaction of making us hurt. He wouldn't have wanted us to hurt."

In their own way, Patti's merry band of assholes are a fulfilling a Christ-like role. Through their knowing sacrifice, they have forced catharsis by offering themselves up as an alter upon which people can sacrifice their internalized grief and anger.

I really hope they go this route and we pick up with a new group of characters that occasionally directly or indirectly interacts with the Mapleton storyline continuing on its own elsewhere.
This is a Good Post

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Jubilee3rd posted:

There's been something on my mind about the finale and I haven't seen anyone bring it up that I'm aware of. How does Kevin Garvey manage to run into a burning house and not succumb to smoke inhalation? Or first/second degree burns from being so close to the fire. He doesn't even give up a cough for crying out loud. Would the reference to the underwater spider be relevant here? A bubble was placed around Kevin that lets him survive extremes like that?

Because it's a TV Show?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Sithsaber posted:

You sure waste precious seconds responding to "nothing"! Wait, I just did the same thing.

BYE!

Ps. Sin eaters were a thing in places like Britain up until the modern period. I heard his accent and just assumed Hug Jesus was a deluded imitator of that occult role.

SECOND BYE!

Can't you just say "Actually, what I meant was x" instead of sounding like an insane person?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Sithsaber posted:

You do know that I was responding to a troll post, right?

I don't think that person was trolling. I reread your post a few times and it really seems like word salad to me.

• Locked thread