Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

LinkesAuge posted:

I don't think that but I can understand why the average viewer would think so. Like I said, why introduce a mystery if you won't want to explore it further.

I disagree with your characterization of the not-rapture as a mystery, at least in terms of the narratives. Just because something isn't explained doesn't make a mystery.

Imagine it was a story where characters are struggling with what happens to people when they die. Would that be introducing a "mystery" that has to be solved?

Like, the various cults - Wayne and the Guilty Remnant - I would say those are mysteries. We're meant to wonder what they're about, and they're introducing both new answers and questions about them. Same with the Dog Dude. We're probably going to learn more about what's going on with them eventually.

But the not-rapture hasn't really been portrayed in the same way. So far it's just been presented as a stand-in for, I guess, something like the fundamental uncertainty of the universe. Like, they could have just as well have used the afterlife, instead, but they're using a fantasy element to distance the story from the real world a little bit so they can discuss things without stampeding over people's personal beliefs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread