Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elmerus Juniorus
Aug 17, 2014
Liked the show and look forward to season two tho I do hope with the renewal they get a bigger budget for extras because the few times they showed the ships company assembled it seemed kind of thin for a DDG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I'm sure they might address it tonight, but if they have the cure and working radio/Internet, why would you not immediately send the cure details out to other scientists/CDC and like minded people around the globe? Let's get this cure out now.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Silly Burrito posted:

I'm sure they might address it tonight, but if they have the cure and working radio/Internet, why would you not immediately send the cure details out to other scientists/CDC and like minded people around the globe? Let's get this cure out now.

:ssh: You're watching a summer show on TNT.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

richardfun posted:

:ssh: You're watching a summer show on TNT.

One that's been picked up for another season, so we all have to stay on the Good Ship Lollipop for at least another season.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Silly Burrito posted:

One that's been picked up for another season, so we all have to stay on the Good Ship Lollipop for at least another season.

I've really changed the way I look at this show. Whenever there's a solemn moment where Baldwin's voice gets even more gruff and Captain McSteamy (my girlfriend used to make me watch Grey's Anatomy with her, what of it?) starts clenching his jaw, I just start to laugh out loud uncontrollably.

I'm pretty sure the makers of this show don't intend for me to respond this way, but it makes it a hell of a lot more enjoyable to watch.

The only character that has to stay alive in order for me to continue to watch is Tex. He's by far the best character on the drat show (and the best actor. He makes me miss Alphas *sigh* )

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

richardfun posted:

I've really changed the way I look at this show. Whenever there's a solemn moment where Baldwin's voice gets even more gruff and Captain McSteamy (my ex-girlfriend used to make me watch Grey's Anatomy with her, what of it?) starts clenching his jaw, I just start to laugh out loud uncontrollably.

I'm pretty sure the makers of this show don't intend for me to respond this way, but it makes it a hell of a lot more enjoyable to watch.

The only character that has to stay alive in order for me to continue to watch is Tex. He's by far the best character on the drat show (and the best actor. He makes me miss Alphas *sigh* )

prezbuluskey
Jul 23, 2007
A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Tex is the best part of this show by far. He just said how he was embarrassed by the cheesy rear end line he said last week, I liked that.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
can someone pls refresh me on who the bad guy is either on here or PM I feel that I'm really missing something by not remembering?

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice

luscious posted:

can someone pls refresh me on who the bad guy is either on here or PM I feel that I'm really missing something by not remembering?

Everyone who isn't an assigned crew member on the James is evil. Most have shown their cards but some haven't. Count down until 'Mom' uses the cure as some kind of pseudo-weapon to gain power.

Edit: It's good to know that the bad guys send their leaders on every minor mission, just like the NJ.

Two Feet From Bread fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Aug 25, 2014

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
I really think that I'm supposed to remember / know who he is.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

luscious posted:

I really think that I'm supposed to remember / know who he is.
The Rahm Emanuel-lookalike bad guy? I remember him in White Collar and he's in a Jack Daniels commercial.

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008
no means no Tex jeez

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice
loving CALLED IT!

If you aren't a NJ crew member then you are evil!

Edit: Holy poo poo, that is brutal, burning the bodies to power the city. This ain't your daddies TV show.

Two Feet From Bread fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Aug 25, 2014

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008
So did they port into Ferguson, Missouri or what

Edit: Yeah I don't actually think that would work

Iowa Snow King fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Aug 25, 2014

prezbuluskey
Jul 23, 2007
A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
I always come to the defense of this show, but I don't buy that one fat guy with a glock can take an entire ship hostage.

prezbuluskey
Jul 23, 2007
I hope next season is Tex roaming the American wasteland gunslinging and breakin hearts.

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice

prezbuluskey posted:

I always come to the defense of this show, but I don't buy that one fat guy with a glock can take an entire ship hostage.

Yea, that was some serious BS.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

prezbuluskey posted:

Cops seizing an entire Navy ship? hahahahaa

Bachelor Numpad
Sep 16, 2001

All wreckin' and smashin' my junk on the crossbar
1) Who was the first guy who got shot on the bridge (not Quincy)? Anyone?
2) Was Chandler's dad in the last scene? Or am I just not remembering?

I'm calling it now that Titus Welliver is the leader of the resistance and not actually one of the bad guys.

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice

Bachelor Numpad posted:

I'm calling it now that Titus Welliver is the leader of the resistance and not actually one of the bad guys.

Is he a crew member of the NJ? No, so he has to be a bad guy. My money is that he likes to execute 'Mom's' henchmen but he is reform-able and will be granted honorary-crew status once the CO and him link up and take back the ship.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Well, I guess they've already gone too far with the 'government' being comically evil. I mean, it makes sense to be giving the cure to essential people. I know I wouldn't be getting it if this happened, but do they actually have to be killing the poors and using their bodies for fuel?

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Bachelor Numpad posted:

Oh course he will be, he gave a fruit to that kid.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Octy posted:

Well, I guess they've already gone too far with the 'government' being comically evil. I mean, it makes sense to be giving the cure to essential people. I know I wouldn't be getting it if this happened, but do they actually have to be killing the poors and using their bodies for fuel?

They had a modest proposal for moving past this crisis.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I can't help but feel incredibly frustrated with what the writers have done. I know a new antagonist was needed, but this one feels exceptionally contrived. Normally, I wouldn't mind season-end cliffhangers, but this one really grinds my gears.

Great Enoch
Mar 23, 2011
Isn't this pretty standard plotting for this sort of genre fiction though? Even the tacticool cops taking over a ship seems like a pretty run of the mill ClancyLand idea these days.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.
Holy poo poo, hahaha. "They're burning the bodies... to power the city..." is an actual line from this series. Now I can't wait for next season.

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice

Josh Lyman posted:

I can't help but feel incredibly frustrated with what the writers have done. I know a new antagonist was needed, but this one feels exceptionally contrived. Normally, I wouldn't mind season-end cliffhangers, but this one really grinds my gears.

I would have liked it better if the writers used the cure as a way to reestablish government in the US and then a unified government around the world. This comically evil 'Mom' Gov. is very ham-fisted and banks on her subordinates not actually being people but mindless drones. 1/5 for effort & realism. As a bench mark, the super virus that has a 100% infection and mortality rate, technically impossible, is a 2/5.

Joachim1167
Feb 24, 2014

Batham posted:

Holy poo poo, hahaha. "They're burning the bodies... to power the city..." is an actual line from this series. Now I can't wait for next season.

Noooooo. Soylent Green causes global warming dammit!

Joachim1167
Feb 24, 2014

Acquilae posted:

Yeah. Was kinda hoping the writers would let Adam go all Jayne Cobb on the cop's rear end, but alas it was not meant to be. :(

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
That fat cop is going to die at some point next year. It's almost guaranteed.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
How much energy do you get from burning a human? It's about 2/3 water, so you ain't getting any energy from that. Seems highly unlikely to me that you can power anything by burning humans without some major engineering problems to solve.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Get some Byzantine/Greek Fire going (the kind that would burn even in the ocean), add humans.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

GaussianCopula posted:

How much energy do you get from burning a human? It's about 2/3 water, so you ain't getting any energy from that. Seems highly unlikely to me that you can power anything by burning humans without some major engineering problems to solve.
They're using a coal fired plant so all they need is heat.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
So they are using the energy from burning human corpses in the UK to generate power
http://www.nbcnews.com/id/45526347/ns/technology_and_science-science/t/burning-deceased-humans-will-produce-electricity/#.U_tLsPl_vuM

but it only works because they have to use other fuel to burn the bodies anyway and just dont want to waste the heat. You can't generate energy by burning corpses.
http://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/energy/stories/no-we-cant-burn-people-for-electricity

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV > The Last Ship S2 - They're burning the bodies... to power the city...

Chandler has a serious condition of dumb face

Two Feet From Bread posted:

I would have liked it better if the writers used the cure as a way to reestablish government in the US and then a unified government around the world. This comically evil 'Mom' Gov. is very ham-fisted and banks on her subordinates not actually being people but mindless drones. 1/5 for effort & realism. As a bench mark, the super virus that has a 100% infection and mortality rate, technically impossible, is a 2/5.

Not 100%, that black girl lived :science:

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

GaussianCopula posted:

but it only works because they have to use other fuel to burn the bodies anyway and just dont want to waste the heat. You can't generate energy by burning corpses.
http://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/energy/stories/no-we-cant-burn-people-for-electricity

How do writers get this poo poo past editing and fact-checking in the year 2014? You'd think that a program that had access and funding to use an actual naval service ship as a set would at least run stuff through a bullshit filter.

Next thing you know, they'll make a main gun that fires boat anchors, on which the captian and XO will hurl themselves over to the enemy ship and take out their whole crew with combat knives.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
I dont really get why they are so mad about killing infected people (who will die anyway). If that stops the spread of the infection it might not be the worst idea. Additionally how does the socio-economic status help you in anyway, as "mom's" speech implied? Or are they giving the fake cure/vaccine to healthy people too? The guard said that Olympia was only for the sick so in my book everyone in there was already as good as dead before they got the lethal injection.

It's fun that the Navy is super cool with some state cops being the bad guys, who have to be defeated by the superior forces of good (the navy). I guess making them army guys would have been against some internal Pentagon rules.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Acquilae posted:

I think the guy up at the bridge said there were some other state troopers (that they decided to mention but not show on the ship), so I assume they all got taken by surprise or something. Which is odd because I would assume they would make even the cops confiscate their weapons on the way in or someone would be in the armoury (I guess none of the named characters were though, so...)

I don't know what their plan is other than take the goods and then ... sink the ship? Wouldn't you want a destroyer though? Too bad you have to basically murder the entire crew and staff it with a new one with what training?

Evil government was kinda over the top but I guess I haven't heard the Black Plague used as a rationale so I guess that was original enough.

GaussianCopula posted:

I dont really get why they are so mad about killing infected people (who will die anyway). If that stops the spread of the infection it might not be the worst idea. Additionally how does the socio-economic status help you in anyway, as "mom's" speech implied? Or are they giving the fake cure/vaccine to healthy people too? The guard said that Olympia was only for the sick so in my book everyone in there was already as good as dead before they got the lethal injection.

It's fun that the Navy is super cool with some state cops being the bad guys, who have to be defeated by the superior forces of good (the navy). I guess making them army guys would have been against some internal Pentagon rules.
Mom was basically all "well the Black Plague killed indiscriminately, but I will make sure civilization continues on because we have the foresight of something like the bubonic plague" and "well if you aren't important to society at least you can be fuel".

Sober fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Aug 25, 2014

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Two Feet From Bread posted:

Believe me, I complain about the realism of this show constantly, but I could see a high ranking government official who has (seemingly) used a crisis to initiate a coup being capable of convincing an ethnic or, in this case, socioeconomic group that they are better than others and that this is their chance to rid themselves of the cause of all their problems. It also helps when you're appealing to scientists/police with "we can't afford to save everyone so why shouldn't we prioritize the smart, law abiding citizens".

Also, even though the "burning people for power" thing is currently only the assumption of one guy who doesn't have any direct knowledge of biology or power production (I'm sure they'll go with it anyway, assuming they don't get called out on it too hard during the break), I was even more incredulous when they said they had a coal fired power plant running in the first place. Google tells me a coal plant requires over 3,000 tons of coal per day to produce 500 megawatts, which is even more than I thought when I was yelling at the TV. I might pretend they're just using leftover coal at the plant for body disposal and there is a nuclear plant still running nearby.

That was straight bullshit that half a dozen cops with pistols could take control of a military ship of ~200 soldiers. There probably would have been a team grabbing assault rifles running around as soon as they heard a gunshot on the bridge (does not actually know anything about procedures aboard a naval vessel).

Edit: I'm assuming maybe 12 cops total based on 9 people per RHIB and still having room for 3 Navy guys per boat to drive and man guns and the fact that I doubt they made more than one trip. I am admittedly pulling everything I just said out of my rear end.

Cat Hatter fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Aug 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
I just rewatched the relevant scenes. It looks like all 3 SUVs that brought the troopers to the port left with the Captain and "Mom" and most of the troopers can be seen when they arrive at Lab/HQ. Further the guy with the gun on the bridge is the only person to get a shot of the cure/vaccine with no other troopers to be seen. Even when the crew marches out there is not a single bad guy having a gun to be seen, but we see 3 ships and 3 heli's approaching the NJ. From the scenes it looks like the XO stood down to protect the people on the bridge, including the pregnant woman that nearly died last episode.

• Locked thread