Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Kurt/Simon

Simon got out of his chair, giving a noncommittal, "I might do dinner tomorrow, we'll see. I'll see ya'll tomorrow night then." This first shift had already given him some things to think about and report back to his handler. Simon figured that Jack might find just the events concerning the mysterious figure in black and Bob's pseudo-cover up alone interesting. Simon changed out his things at his locker and began to head back to his car. There was no other work to be done for now, so when Simon got home he had a quick bite to eat and passed out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Jacob

"Personally, I can't say I have much of an appetite right now," he says, leaving the building and heading for his car. "I'm sure that'll be quite different when I wake up, so I'll save a visit to the diner for then." As he reaches his car, he opens the door but waits to bid everyone else goodbye before he gets in. "Well then, until our dinner tomorrow. Sleep well everyone."

As he drives out of the property he looks in his rear-view mirror at the grounds and has to wonder what further strange occurrences will come his way when he returns here, in what is to be less than twelve hours from now. Only one night over and already the list of near-unexplainable events is a little too long for his liking. But at least this job is not nearly as boring as he had been led to believe, so that is a twisted upside to it all.
When he pulls up to the apartment block, he manages to push all thoughts of possible answers to these maddening questions out of his mind for now, leaving only the desire to just sleep and deal with it all when he's fully rested.

As he unlocks the door to his apartment, he reaches into his pocket and pulls out his phone, scrolling through the contacts to 'Sarah'. The chance to finally sleep may be near, but he still has a promise to keep; to check in every morning and let them all know he's safe and sound.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Marion

"I'm tired, and feel like I'm going to just fall asleep." Marion yawned into her hand with her backpack slung over one shoulder watching the others. "Might as well head on home and take a early night." She gave a bright smile and waved to the others, "See You tomorrow!" A bit of a wave on the tips of her fingers as she walked away from the crowd and toward her car in the quickly approaching morning light.

The parking lot behind her and the twisting road curtained by dark woods in front of her, she had thought that maybe this had all gotten her closer to where she needs to be. Dan was no closer, but it was obvious that someone or something that had tugged his leash until he broke. Just like the tire being slashed. Whatever it was was targeting Dan and now she supposed her. Marion had absolutely no idea who or what it could be, but she had a nagging suspicion that maybe she could figure it out. She just had to lay low for a while and try to make obvious attempts while keeping an eye for the truth.

The truth had to be something different than shadow men and self cutting tires. The truth had to be out there.

It only took a minute for her to realize that she was now at the apartment complex and realized that she had completely zoned out again getting there. She took up her backpack and got out of her car, running up her stairs to her room. Opening the door the the apartment felt a bit lonely, dark and foreboding, like it had resisted her efforts to actually be moved in. That was quickly dismissed by Marion, as she pulled the blinds closed to block out the sun. Turning around the corner, she threw herself in the bed, barely taking time to get her work clothes off.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Jack Plissken

Jack nods to the others and waves goodbye after hearing what they had to say. The diner tomorrow before work. In the meantime, a drink, and something to eat from that greasy spoon place. And hopefully, no more weird poo poo.

Jack's heading to the diner, spending $10 on something greasy, and then going to his apartment for a drink or seven.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis
Around Town

Everyone then left the warehouse grounds and went back to Maars. Marion, Jacob and Aaron head straight back to their apartments to get some rest before dealing with the job again. Jack and Andre go to the restaurant they were at before to get a late dinner. Jacob goes to his car and calls up his wife. Shortly after he too joins the others going back to town.

Jacob, Kurt and Aaron find that they have messages waiting for them. After they get some sleep, they have phone calls to make.

Jacob finishes his phone call and drives home. Along the way he gets another phone call and he knew what to do.

Andre and Jack head home after their meal together. Andre happens to notice a police car sitting in the parking lot of the apartment complex. Andre plays it cool and acts like he doesn't notice. After he goes into his apartment, he sees the police car leave the parking lot. Jack meanwhile finds that the door to his apartment isn't right. It looks as though someone was trying to break in using brute force. Who ever it was trying to break, it seems that they were not able to open the door up. Jack opens up the door and goes inside to drink away his problems.

So I make an announcement about people posting and then I don't post. Sorry about that. I got the flu bad and I've been having a hard time posting anything. So for the people still around you get 6 cps..

As for the two people no longer in the game, Ziege dropped out because she wasn't feeling it. Razage appears to have just disappeared. And it won't be long before the fates of both of the characters are known.

DocBubonic fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 20, 2015

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Jacob?

"Of course, darling," he says at the end of his phone conversation. "Yes. I'll take care of it. Give the kids a kiss for me." He then hangs up and places the phone by his bed, looking at it for a moment before he steps over to his clothes drawer, reaches into the back and pulls out a pair of leather gloves which he then stuffs into his back pocket.

Walking back across the room, he lifts up his mattress and reaches underneath, finding an object that he knows to be there. With it firmly in hand, he then sets down the mattress and sits on the side of the bed and watches the clock. He stays there and waits for over an hour, practically motionless except for his slow and steady breathing. When well over an hour has passed and he can be sure that most of the others are fully asleep, he stands and walks silently over to the door.

He tucks the object from beneath the bed under his jacket and quietly steps outside when he his certain none of his coworkers are out there to see him. There is no hesitation. He has purpose. The man who calls himself Jacob Barnes knows what he has to do.
And he gets it done.

When the deed is done, he comes back to his apartment, returns the leather gloves to the back of the drawer and places the object back underneath his mattress. Peaceful sleep then finds him quickly as he falls into bed. It always does after a day like today.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions
Aaron

From where they part ways to when Aaron arrives at the apartment complex, he can't shake the feeling of being watched. Maybe that's just as well, because an appropriate sense of dread and paranoia might be his best chance to survive - and his gut feelings, his hunches, rarely steered him badly. He had known going in that there was more to this place, this company, than was evident on the surface. The online digging had told him that well enough. The reason he ended up in Maars in the first place, and did that digging at all, was because of that suspicion - and because that suspicion was shared by others. To find that things were strange was no surprise at all.

But there were levels of strange, here, levels upon levels, going further and further down. And from where he was standing, Aaron couldn't see the bottom. It wasn't what he had seen and what he knew so far that scared him, though. No, it was that what he had seen told him there was poo poo deeper down he really didn't want to see, or that he didn't want to be found seeing.

And yet: there was no way out. Maybe he could bail on the whole thing, pop up in Montana or Belize or somewhere farther afield, start over. He had the skills to make a clean getaway and make an acceptable living somewhere else, if he wanted. But that would likely only be a short respite, and cowardly. Aaron was a lot of things, but not a coward, and not someone who would fail to see a job through. And regardless, he had to know what was going on with Basorus. He was in too deep to turn away, now, and whatever they were up to, whatever they were hiding, had to be a secret that would blow the doors off the world.

As soon as he gets in his front door, he makes a cursory check around the apartment - making sure nothing is amiss, that everything is in its place, that he does not need extra reasons to be paranoid. Satisfied, he grabs a beer, and goes to check his emails and phone, taking appropriate precautions. Most of it seems, and is, routine. But there's one - thankfully, only one - that gives him more to worry about. One more little wrinkle to add to a day full of little wrinkles.

He stares at the screen, then at his phone, and then, for a long moment, at the can of beer. He downs what remains in seconds, and his grip roughly crumples the can with the telltale metallic popping and crackling of aluminum. The can is tossed across the room, no thought put into where it might land or what damage it might do. Aaron has already turned his attention back to the phone, and the message, and the desperate effort now necessary to revise how he had planned to go about finding the secrets he was here for...

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Jack Plissken

So someone had tried to break into his new place. So headless black bodies had been seen getting attacked by hazy cloaks of light and sinking into the ground. So his immediate boss lies and says it's just nerves(and that there's no proof to say it's anything more). Oh, and a goddamned loving shrivelled hand was sticking out of the goddamned ground the other day.

Nothing half a bottle of bourbon can't fix right?

Except the hangover in the 'morning'. For that, there's Advil. Or there would be, if Jack hadn't forgotten the damned bottle in another state. And the bourbon hadn't alleviated the growing sense of unease either. Something was seriously hosed up. Hella goddamned weird. Not even the slightest bit right. Basorus was hiding something serious. The insanity the night before, the make up of the team, none of it made any god damned mother loving sense at all.

And maybe, just maybe, given the madness of the night before, Jack had been hired for a reason.

Like, say...

Afghanistan.

Banking the points for later, until I can find a good use for them

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Simon/Kurt

Simon entered his apartment, intent on passing out for what little remained of the night. However, there was something else to attend to first. He walked over to his closet, opened it up, and punched in the code to his fire safe. His handler had left a message on his 2nd phone wanting to know how his first day went. Simon resolved to call him first thing in the afternoon. After making sure everything was in order and closing the safe, Simon went to bed. He dreamed.

Late for work. Brush your teeth. It's 14:83, hurry up. Put on your suit. Get out the door. Start the car. Park the car. No time to take the ladder. No time to take the bucket. Just jump. Right on time.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Maars

Dreams came to those who slept. Strange unusual dreams involving darkness and things that hid just out of sight. The darkness seemed to creep around the dreamers leaving some light for them to stand in, but not enough light to see what lurked in the darkness. This torturous continues until people begin to wake. As they wake during the day, specific details of the dreams they had vanish. All that they are left with are vague impressions of darkness and a lurking danger.

After waking up, they find that they have most of the day to do with as they please.

If anyone wants to do anything (specifically like making calls), now is the time to do them.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Andre

Andre got back to his apartment exhausted but full, and carrying a BLT to heat up before his shift. He gets spooked by the cop car parked in front of the complex, but once he sees that it's local PD and not state, or, worst case scenario, Detroit PD, he relaxes a bit. He gets inside and hops in the shower, by the time he got out, the cop car was gone. That could be coincidence, or it could be another bad sign on top of a weird night. Just wanted to see Andre get home and confirm that's where he lived. He rolls a small doobie, then makes sure the weed in his apartment is well hidden before smoking it.

As he's smoking, he brews up some coffee to stash in the fridge with his sandwich for before his shift. Feeling extra cautious, he lets a cup of coffee sit out, right next to the door. He'd rather his hallway smell like stale coffee than pot.

Then he crashes, and has weird dreams, like he was always just about to discover something horrible, but once he tried to pursue it, it got farther away. At least, that's all he could remember when he woke up, and even that gets harder to recall as he drinks the now chilled coffee he stashed in the fridge.

After his first cup of coffee, he begins doing a workout, just some pushups, but can't get into a flow, so he abandons them and heats the bacon from his sandwich up in the microwave.

He toys with ordering a go pro on amazon, but doesn't yet, figuring bringing a camera would violate some non-disclosure thing he signed. He'd have to ask Bob. He reads some sports news while he eats his sandwich. The pistons were doing well for once. After that, he's into his uniform and out the door.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Jacob

He sleeps in for as long as possible. He feels he deserves it after such a busy previous day and night. Sadly the sleep does not last forever and the alarm does eventually sound off in the afternoon. Despite the odd sleep schedule, he wakes easily and is up and walking about in seconds. The hazy memory of his dream fades quickly and by the time he's stepped into the shower he's forgotten most of the vision of being surrounded by an endless black. By the time he exits the shower, all that remains in his head of the dream is the persisting sense of impending danger. But such a feeling is never too far from his true thoughts to being with, so he thinks little else of it and gets dressed for work.

When he's dressed and ready, he grabs his phone and makes a quick call. A brief and simple check in of little note. Once done, he leaves his apartment for the diner and the group's prearranged meal together.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Jack Plissken

As expected, a hangover. Not that a hangover is anything new for Jack. No, it's a pretty regular thing. The decision to ignore it, and the dreams that managed to penetrate most of a bottle of bourbon... Well, that was loving new. And unpleasant. Shadows and fog, and things lurking in the black. gently caress it, coffee was needed. And a call to the jackass who set up this job. To do that, he needed a phone though. And one that wasn't on the company dime.

Going to find somewhere that sells phones, buy one, and then call Dean Taron, the old buddy from Jack's bio. See what he knows about this madhouse/company

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Simon/Kurt

Simon awoke from his slumber with a vague sense of unease. Something about a well? Simon got some coffee brewing and went to take a shower. No sense in calling Handler Jack half-asleep. After he was done with his shower and sufficiently caffeinated, he cracked open his safe to get his other cell phone. Simon dialed the number for Jack's office, smirking. Jack was gonna get a kick outta what happened on his first day.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Jack's Apartment

Jack leaves his apartment and finds a shop in town that sells phones. He gets one and calls his friend.

"Hey Plissken, You started that job I told you about? Thought you would be good for it. Basorus gives vets preferential treatment for hiring. If you work hard at the job you're at now, you probably could go far in the company. You can get out of boring poo poo like guarding boxes and do some real security work. The kind that needs a soldier and not just a rent-a-cop. If you get what I'm saying. Yeah, that's how I found out about the company. I know some people who did work for Basorus overseas. I'm not sure if you met any Basorus security people overseas. They tend to run around with people from the CIA and that Black Water company. I did some off the books work for some spooks while I was in the service. Ran into Basorus people during that time. They struck me as real professionals, kept their mouths shut and got their mission done. I guess I impressed them when we worked together, because they let me know that Basorus was always looking for talent. Since I didn't want to do security work, I thought you would be up for something like what they did." He pauses when Jack asks about weird stuff.

"Weird stuff? Mind you, I just know of a few Basorus guys. Not sure if the whole company is like them or not. In the states I hear almost nothing about the company. Its like the company goes out of its way to stay in the dark. I know the company does some black ops kinda stuff, but nothing terribly weird. What happened?"

Simon/Kurt's place

"Hello Kurt. Nice to hear from you. We've heard some rumors that Basorus can be paranoid about their employees. Firing them the first day if something in the employee's background even had the hint of being off. Not sure if they're worried about corporate espionage or Government investigations. After I heard the rumors, I decided to see what I could dig up about operations involving Basorus. Apparently there's been five attempts to infiltrate Basorus. At least that's what I heard from the people in the office. Don't worry I didn't mention you at all. The five operations were conducted by different agencies. I couldn't get much information about how those operations went, but I got some basic details. Out of the five operations, two of them were halted by higher ups before someone could go undercover. One person got fired the first day because Basorus found a discrepancy in their paperwork. The person got fired for lying on their application supposedly. Another person got into a bad car accident after a week on the job. They couldn't work again after what happened. The final person who got sent in is still working for Basorus. The woman stayed in contact with her handler for a month and then she went dark. The handler didn't hear anything from her after that. A couple years later, she popped on the handler's radar. The reason why? She got busted for facilitating an illegal arms deal. Officially she didn't work for Basorus, but I think she was still working for the company because an attorney showed up where she was arrested and got her out of jail. The case got dropped shortly after. That sounds suspicious as hell to me. She couldn't possibly have that much influence on her own. She had to be part of something larger. So how did your first day go?"

Dealing with these phone calls might take a while, so anyone who isn't making a phone call can just chill for now. I'll try to keep the phone calls short.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Aaron

It isn't a matter of nerve that makes him wait. Part of it is, instead, politeness - by the time he had gotten the message it was extremely late, and waiting until daylight hours seems to him to be more appropriate. Regardless of how strange the message had been, how out of the blue it still seemed - how did anyone even find this number? - and how much it had bothered him, he figures he owes at least that sort of nod to propriety, and in any case getting whatever sleep he can manage after hearing that is probably for the best in terms of keeping everything straight in his head.

He wakes after sleeping in fits and starts, not too early, although maybe a shade early by graveyard shift standards. He takes a while to get ready - coffee, shower, news. Even then the gears aren't quite turning as fast as he would like, and so he gets to work despite it, not wanting to burn off more time.

His luggage has a false bottom; from that hidden space he brings out some small electronic-looking gear, and patiently he gets to work on his phone. Whoever it was that had found the temerity to call him out of nowhere, regardless of whether or not it turned out to be useful or not, is someone who he intends to find out as much as possible about. Like hell that anyone is going to put him at a disadvantage for information. It is far past time to step up his game - acquaintances, co-workers, Basorus, everyone. Things are moving too quickly to do otherwise.

When he's satisfied that everything is set up properly, he dials the number given in the message. "Good morning," he says when the call is picked up. "Sorry I missed your call yesterday." His apology comes out as an almost comical sorey, playing up to his accent in an effort to hide the hint of nervousness - and avoiding any mention of anything that came up in the message. Including the name. "Is now a good time?"

Setting up an audio bug on his own phone for the call to try to record the person on the other end, and taking extra time to do it. EO/Surveillance 12 + maybe single-minded bonus + extra time - Slow Riser?

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Marion

Emerald dreams fluttered through her mind as she dreamt her dreams. She couldn't quite remember them the morning after, but that wasn't so unusual, after all Marion was extremely tired and dreams are flighty things after all. There wouldn't be much of a shift in Marion's world if she had, it would be another flight of fancy another dim perception that was out of the corner of her eye.

Marion's dreams were filled with the dark and surrounding forest, that is what she remembered most later. Walking through the woods that seemed far from unfamiliar or uncertain in fact they seemed welcoming, and very soothing. It felt nice to walk in the woods, and just let the sun filter through the threes as the wind made them sway back and forth. A soothing creaking heard as they rock back and forth in the still air under the canopy.

Walking deeper into the woods seemed like such a good idea for dream Marion. Viridian flecks seemed to surround her as she went deeper until, she was completely surrounded by emerald glow.

Opening her eyes, she shook her head, and was disoriented by where she was, yesterday had just been so busy that for a brief moment she thought she was somewhere else, but for the life of her she couldn't remember why. This all seemed crazy, all of it. The plan of hers to try to find David, everyone's belief that the man had disappeared into the ground and the whole shadow men.

It had to have a real reason, none of this magical nonsense. It had to have a reasonable explanation and the only way she was going to find out is if she researched it.

Getting ready for work, she sat down at her laptop and started searching for hunting supplies, camo, and binoculars. Marion's idea that he may have gone into the woods, but she didn't know why she had thought of it. David was never especially drawn to woods or camping, but it seemed to make sense.

Marion brushed aside a twig from her hair without a second thought.

Due to weird Marion dreams, she is going to call up some hunting supplies and camping suppliers in the area and see if anyone knows about david. Sorry for the delay, been really crazy lately for me. Seems to work well when I bring my laptop to work.

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Feb 27, 2015

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Simon/Kurt

Simon frowned; it would've been nice to have known about all that before he took the assignment. Bit too late to back out now, only 50% of investigators even made it this far after all. Simon took a sip of coffee and spoke into the receiver, "Well, Jack, I made it past the first day, so I'll make sure you're the first to know if I end up in any accidents. I had a weird fuckin' first day. I guess I'll just start from the beginning."

"Started off with meeting the supervisor, Bob. Didn't get a last name. Then, we went on the grand tour, the place has security out the rear end. Security cams, pressure sensors, all electronic locks, you name it. Hell, the warehouse itself is even kinda fake; they keep whatever it is they've got underground, in a vault. And, I'll be honest, the only way anyone is getting in there is being on the list of people allowed in, a search warrant, or some Ocean's 11 poo poo. Let's see, what else. There's also some emergency response that none of the security personnel are allowed to know about. I'll let you take from that what you will. I think that's about it as far as the property itself is concerned. I can sketch you a map if you like."

Simon took another sip of coffee and leaned back in his chair, "Alright, so after all that we took turns doing patrols. Well, while my team is on patrol, we see this, uh, person rise out of the swamp that the warehouse is adjacent too. Looked like they were wearing all black or something. Couldn't even make anything out if you shined a flashlight on them. The weird thing is how this person acted. You know how most perps might, I dunno, run away when they get caught? This one didn't. We did the whole, 'You're on private propery, blah blah blah' routine. Whoever is was just did nothing other than move out of whatever light we shined on it. Eventually it went back into the water and just vanished."

By now, Simon was finished with his coffee. He took the empty mug to the kitchen, putting it in the sink. "So by that point, Bob asks us to continue our patrol and he sends the other team in to watch that patch of swamp. So my team is driving around the rest of the property and the tire on our humvee pops. So we look at the tire and it looks like it was cut deep. Whatever did it must've done it while we were moving. But the thing is, nobody in the humvee saw anything and I'm pretty sure we didn't drive by anything that could've done it. About around this time the other team was dealing with the swamp intruder. By the time my patrol looped back around to check on them, they must've seen something even stranger. Or at least thought they did. They were twitchy and on edge. All of them said they saw a black figure similar to the guy my patrol saw, get this...", Simon paused for effect, "Melting. I poo poo you not, Jack."

"So Bob has my patrol take over at that bit of fence. We didn't see much of anything after that. Rest of the night was pretty uneventful. Then the end of the shift comes and Bob wants to have a word with us. In so many words he tells all of us that we didn't really see any intruders and we let our imaginations run wild. Pretty reasonable, but I dunno. Something about his spiel seemed a little off. Laying on a little thick, perhaps. And that, Jack, was by far the craziest night I've ever had on any job. Sorry if I talked your ear off. Any questions?"

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Aaron

A woman on the other end of the phone line replies.

"You have questions. I have answers. This isn't the best time for you. You should call this number again when you aren't tied up with things at home." She then hangs up.

Marion

"Eh?" Comes the reply on the other end. Marion happened to call Hobbs' hardware and unlike the the other places the man answering the phone seems to remember her friend.

"I think I remember a man like that. Came in here a few times. Got some camping equipment and a couple guns. I can check credit card statements and make sure its the man you're asking about."

Simon/Kurt

"Did they put something in the water up there? That is one hell of a story. I don't know what to say about what you saw up there. Maybe the company is trying to pull something on you. Just because we haven't heard of them trying to pull something like this doesn't mean that they aren't up to some kind of trick with the weird stuff you saw. That's assuming this Bob guy wasn't just telling you the truth. If it sounded like he says this a lot, then maybe new people just get spooked up there? But you didn't get hurt right? If you didn't get hurt, then maybe all this stuff you saw was just harmless. Or maybe it was a prank? I'm really not sure what to tell you about this stuff. This guy Bob on the other hand. What do you know about him? Do you think you can get any information from him? If you want we could run a background check on the man. We would need some more information then his first name. If you can get his last name, then we might be able to get a list of likely people and narrow it down by geographical region. I'm assuming you can't get a fingerprint from him. That would probably give us the most information, but that's a difficult proposition.

Now about the warehouse facility itself. Sounds like the company is run by either by paranoids or people who have enemies. It might be very well that the company has enemies interested in what's going on with their business. It doesn't surprise me. We know various government agencies have shown interest in the company. There might be corporate rivals as well. Basorus has done some work overseas too, so foreign governments or terrorists might have an interest in Basorus.

I'm thinking we shouldn't try to get inside their vault or whatever they're hiding underground. Without proper legal authority it doesn't seem like its going to happen. Maybe you can get into the office there. They must have records about what they have shipped there and what has shipped out. A company that size always has records. The company is probably more worried about people sneaking into their warehouse then into an office. The security is probably lighter in their offices."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Jacob - Diner

He enters the diner and finds none of his coworkers have already entered, at least not that he can immediately see. He sits himself at a free table and smiles warmly at the waitress when she approaches him. "Good Afternoon. I don't suppose there's a chance of ordering an English Breakfast, is there? It's well past serving time for it, I know, but I work the night shift and I'm afraid this will be my breakfast time from now on. I'd be very grateful if it's at all possible."

Ordering a breakfast meal at this time might be impossible, but he can only hope that what charm he might posses and his soft pleading is enough to persuade them. "And also a tea, please." He takes another look around the diner for his colleagues and then makes a try at conversation with the waitress. "How has business been today? Is it often quite quiet around town in general?"

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Simon/Kurt

Simon sighed and continued, "Nobody got hurt, just freaked out. I'm currently toying with the idea that it might've been a distraction or a cover for something else. You're probably right though. Want me to let you know if anything else weird happens? As for Bob, I got nothing else on him other than a physical description." Simon briefly describes him, "He doesn't seem to be the type to volunteer information either. I suppose I can keep an eye out for info on him when I check out the administration building."

"Speaking of which, got a specific timeframe for the office? That might require a little planning. There's probably cameras, I might have to deal with electronic locks, and I know there's at least one person in there during the night shift. Her name's Mara Południca, Human Resources. She's also in charge of calling in the emergency response. What do you advise?"

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Aaron

It's no small frown that appears on his face at the response he gets and at the audible beep from his phone as the line goes dead. But he seems to know what to do, regardless. Aaron sets the phone down for a spell, finishing up his morning (now late-morning-to-early-afternoon) readiness routines before grabbing the phone, his keys, and his wallet, and heading outside. If there's anyone around, he doesn't say a word - he clearly knows what was meant, and even if it's a hassle for him, it also makes sense.

Soon enough he's on his motorcycle, the engine rumbling, his eyes scanning for somewhere less likely to be under Basorus's watchful eye...

Heading out for a little ride towards the outskirts of town. When he feels like he's out of the way enough and no one seems to be around to watch, he'll call again.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Aaron

Aaron finds a spot outside of town that he could pull off and not be spotted by anyone on the road. He calls the number. The same woman answers.

"Are you in the clear?" When Aaron tells her he is, she continues. "I'm sorry about the precaution, but I find that you can't be cautious enough when dealing with Basorus. They are dangerous. Possibly more dangerous than you think. Yes, I do know about you Aaron. I have my sources when it comes to certain situations. A colleague of yours who should remain anonymous let me know about your employment at Basorus. I thought it would be a good time to contact you and discuss matters. You can call me Nal."

Diner

The waitress smiles at Jacob.

"Sorry hon, we don't have much in the way of tea here. I think I might be able to find something other than Lipton in back for you though and we serve breakfast all the time. Its just how we do things here." She takes down Jacob's breakfast order. When he asks her about business, she looks up.

"Kinda slow today. Things tend to pick up on the weekend. And when there's corporate types from Basorus in town, we see a bit more business."

Kurt/Simon

"Yeah, I would like to hear about these weird things. There must be a logical explanation for what you saw and its possible that Basorus is trying to hide something or distract you from something more important. Seems a bit theatrical, but Basorus does hire some strange people from time to time. And there's no time table for the office. I'd rather you hold off on sneaking into the office until you are ready to do it. Better to be cautious than fast. As far as this Mara person goes, do you think we should investigate her at all or do you think she's too low in the food chain to worry about?"

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Kurt/Simon

Kurt replies, "Roger that. As for Poludnica, I don't know. Hard to say. I am leaning towards 'no' on her at the moment, but that might change. Anything else?"

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Aaron

"I understand the concern, but I swept everything the first night in the new place. Like to make sure things are tidy, dontcha know." Aaron is starting to wonder if a second sweep might not be worthwhile, though. Especially if he's getting calls out of the blue and they seem to know where he is. At least he'll have a recording.

"I won't bother to ask for details on how you know me," he says. If they know why he's here, they probably know everything, and so there's no point in probing further on that point - at least, not in this conversation. He lowers his voice and looks around furtively to be safe. "But on the other thing: I am starting to learn just enough about these guys to know that I should be more than worried about 'em, and they're more dangerous than I guessed. So I'm already with you there. What I don't know is enough to guess by how much. And I'm guessing that if you're calling me, and you have more details than I've already got, then we're on the same side of the ice here."

He pauses. "There's some weird poo poo going on around this place, you know. Real weird. Unseemly." He sits down for a moment in the grass and moves on past that comment with nonchalance. Instead, it's to business. "So. I'm sure there'll be a catch that we'll discuss later, but for now: whatcha got for me?"

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Jacob - Diner

He's visibly upset when she mentions the likely lack of tea, but perks up again at the sound of all day breakfast. "Well if you do find some tea back there, that'd be wonderful. If not, don't worry. We Brits just have a stereotype to uphold, you know?" He smiles brightly with a quick wink. "Breakfast all day is a grand idea. I'm sure my fellow night shift colleagues will be just as happy to here it as I am."

When she talks about business, he turns to look out of the windows at the seemingly sleepy town. "Busy weekends, eh? It does seem like a nice and quiet place, although, as you say, I'm sure Basorus has a habit of making it lively every now and then. You must hear all sorts about Basorus and that Warehouse? It seems like employee there would be hard pressed not to let slip what they sometimes see when working over there."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Marion

"Oh really, you know of David? He went into the woods too?" Marion thought for a brief moment and mentally did the time calculations and came up wanting. It was too soon for her to go there and see what he bought and then go out herself. She would have to organize and plan first, but the forest. That seemed to be the key to David. It was deep in the forest that Marion would find the truth to him. It seemed silly to go alone too, she would need someone to help back her up out there all alone. It wasn't like she could wander the woods alone, but who would be trustworthy enough to follow her out there? She left the mental question dangling and went back to the caller.

"I will be by tomorrow and get some camping gear, but I will need a bit more specific information what he got. He is a dear friend, and I am helping his family try to get in contact with him." She said with a bit of a smile, and then decided she might have said a little to much, "Sorry, important family matter that came up after he came out here. Lets talk tomorrow afternoon?" She said pleasantly.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Jack Plissken

It just keeps getting better and better. At least now Jack knew a bit of why poo poo was so hosed. Full on black ops CIA poo poo. This wasn't just a security guard gig, it was full on armed patrol duty.

"Aight man, thanks for the info. Gig was starting to make me sketch the gently caress out, eh? Here I was expecting some mall cop poo poo, and poo poo starts getting weird. Now that I know these are some black-ops motherfuckers? Makes a bit more sense. I'll call ya later man, gotta get to work in a bit. If you're ever in town, as much as this place can be called a fuckin' town, swing by for a beer. Later."

Jack kills the call and heads to the diner. Spotting Jacob, he joins him and orders a coffee and breakfast.

"So, made a call to an old friend. Basorus ain't just some rent-a-cop deal. Full on black ops, CIA poo poo apparently.Real quiet on the home front though. Should be, uhhh, the kind of fuckin' job that actually needs vets like us, if you catch my drift. Explains a bit of why poo poo is so strange at least."

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Marion

"Yeah, he seemed pretty excited to do some camping and exploring the woods around town. Didn't want to talk about what got him all excited and I'm not one to ask questions. Its just best that way." There's a pause. "Sorry about your friend. You sure he just didn't move? Sometimes folks just need to start fresh somewhere else."

"O.K. I'll see you tomorrow then."

Aaron

"We are on the same side of the ice. If you're wondering how I found out where you live, its because I have some access to Basorus's computer systems. Not much, but I managed to find out where you were sent." Aaron figures out that she probably tapped into Basorus's human resource network. He puts that bit of knowledge away for later.

"By this time, I'm sure you know Basorus isn't on the level. The place you're working at now? Its not listed along with other warehouses. Its categorized as special. I don't know what that means except that it has some purpose other than being a warehouse. The weird stuff you have run into might have something to do with its special status. Basorus does top secret research in weapons development. That warehouse might be connected with some kind of experimental research. The U.S. government got out of conducting experiments on its citizens, but the experiments didn't go away. The government just outsourced the experiments to corporations. That's enough for now."

The voice disconnects, leaving Aaron with a dial tone.

Jacob

"I hear stuff from the local workers here, but when one of the suits. Usually more then one suit comes in at the same time. When they are here, they're real quiet. They barely talk to each other or anyone else. I didn't think there was anything secret over there, but they acted like there was something worth hiding over there. The local workers, they talk about their jobs. I mostly tune it out though. A lot of boring stuff."

Jack then comes in and she takes his order. She heads back to the kitchen.

Kurt/Simon

"I think we're all set for now. I'll hold off on Poludnica. If you get any more info on this Bob guy, then send it over to me. I'll talk to you tomorrow then."

DocBubonic fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Mar 11, 2015

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Jacob

He leans on a hand and listens to the waitress talk. The secrets of Basorus are well kept in this town, it would seem. If he were to bet on anyone overhearing anything of interest from the local workers and suits, it would have been the waitress. He doubts the others will have much luck in finding out anything, but he'll just have to wait and see.

When Jack enters, he waves the man over and then thanks the waitress when she leaves to fetch their orders. What Jack says definitely puts a surprised look on his face. "W-what? Really?!" He catches himself speaking a bit too loud and lowers his voice before continuing. "Black ops... And they're mostly doing this stuff overseas? You're right, it explains why they'd hire veterans. Seems like their type of people to recruits, just like that daytime security chap who looked like he was out of an action movie."

"Who's this friend of yours that knows so much about Basorus?" He sighs and looks about the place, making sure no one is noticeably listening to them. "Bloody hell, we've really gone and buggered ourselves here, haven't we?"

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Aaron

"Okay, but-"

He doesn't manage to get anything else out before the line goes dead. At least he had a record and a bit more to go on. Assuming he isn't being pushed in a certain direction, that is - and Aaron can't seem to shake that possibility. Still, it was something, and he was more motivated than ever to get cracking now.

He allows himself a short hop back to the apartments to grab a few things - electronic hardware, mostly. Also his pistol, which he'd said to Bob he would check in tonight, and even though he doubts it will make much difference, following through will at least avoid raising any suspicion. It'll stay in the side bags on his bike until then. From there, it's only an easy ride over to the diner, where everyone would presumably be meeting up sooner or later.

He spies Jack and Jacob and tromps over, looking - well, just tired. If he caught the tail end of the conversation so far, he doesn't let on. "Got an extra seat?"

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Simon/Kurt

"Alright, Jack. Talk to ya tomorrow.", Simon said before hanging up the phone. He mulled over some of the information Jack had given him while putting his second phone back in the safe, covering it with a pile of clothes and other assorted closet detritus. He would have to be extra vigilant; of the two other undercover agents who had made it past their first day, one had gone turncoat and the other ended up in what Simon felt was a suspicious accident. Simon decided that tonight would be spent casing the administration building as surreptitiously as possible, noting camera locations, seeing which lights were left on or off in which office, stuff like that.

He would also have to procure someone else's security ID in case he ran into any of the electronic locks. Or find a legitimate reason to be in there in the first place. Neither sounded particularly simple to him. Simon's stomach growled, he would have to think this over lunch and some diner food would hit the spot right about now.

Simon made his way over to the diner, spotting Aaron, Jacob, and Other-Jack when he walked in. He took a seat nearby and sarcastically greeted them, "Hey, fancy meeting ya'll here."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Marion

"Thank you so much, I will see you tomorrow. " She said cheerfully, and put down the phone. After a montage that involved jumping on one foot and combating a hairdryer, Marion emerged from her apartment feeling relieved and redeemed, but certainly ready for the day. Marion walked to the new place, disturbingly late. Not that it being a social gathering she should be the first one no, but she was decidedly slightly off on fashionably late. She hoped the others wouldn't too adverse to her new idea. It seemed to be a great idea or even a brilliant idea.

Marion still didn't know why it was a great idea, but it made everything fit together for her.

Walking into the diner, she waved to the others and sat down. "Good Afternoon. How is everyone?" She said smiling to herself inwardly that almost everyone was here, but there was a sad void left by the few that didn't. "Looks like we didn't get everyone today, sadly. I guess we will see them at work." She says sitting down and nodding to the others. A hand flipping her hair back into her tight very businesslike pony tail.

"I do have a good idea for the weekend though." Marion said politely during a lull in the conversation.

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Kurt/Simon

Kurt flagged down the waitress, ordering a patty melt with extra onions, before turning towards Marion, "Oh yeah? Whatcha got?"

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Jacob

He greets each of the others in turn as they arrive, composing himself quickly from his conversation with Jack. "Hello there," he says lastly to Marion. "I'm just fine, thank you. Although a little groggy, I must admit. Jack and I were just discussing some new discoveries about our employer, but perhaps that's best discussed when we're all together, to avoid repeating ourselves in public like this?" He looks to Jack for confirmation. Whether the subject is left unspoken for now is ultimately up to the other man.

When the others have all taken a seat he glances around the diner again. "It does seem that we're still missing Andre, Cheryl and Steve. But perhaps they're just running late. Although, I do hope they haven't overslept. Maybe we should go check on them if they don't show up soon?" He looks to Marion and asks nonchalantly; "What are your weekend plans, Marion?"

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

At the Diner

As the group sat around the table, they wondered if any of their other coworkers were going to show up. It seemed odd to them all that three people would skip the dinner, but stranger things have happened.

If people want to continue the conversation, go ahead. I'm going to give Xian a couple more days to post.

DocBubonic fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Mar 20, 2015

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Andre

As if responding to Jacob's cue, Andre walks through the door and sits down with the rest of the group. He's in his uniform and has energy in his step, like he had a good day's sleep. "Everybody ready for another night of Fun and excitement with Bob?" He asks sarcastically.

sorry for lack of posing, been traveling this week and didn't realize that the phone calls had ended

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Aaron

He slides into a seat right as most of the rest of the crew arrives. "Fun and excitement, sure." Aaron's gaze flicks back and forth around the table. "Not worried if people don't show. After last night I'm surprised more of us aren't hung over or trying to find a way out, dontcha know." He grins to indicate it was a joke. Probably.

He eyes Marion. "Plans for the weekend already? You sure we shouldn't worry about surviving the week first?"

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Diner

Time passes and it is soon time to get back to work at the warehouse.

If there's anything anyone wants to do before going to work, do so now. I'll be moving things to the warehouse soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I got nothing. Final exam in two weeks, final project not even started, I'm about as braindead from stress as can be

• Locked thread