Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«16 »
  • Locked thread
ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Cheryl

Marion's actions do manage to bring Cheryl back in control of herself, but probably not for the reasons she expected. Her eyes go wide and after a few seconds she struggles to break free and back away from the would-be therapist. "No really, I'm fine," she says, wiping away the rest of the tears and indicating her dry eyes. "See? Totally fine. I just need to get to work. Keep busy while I settle in to the new routine. There'll be no problem; I am a professional, after all."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.

Clapping Larry

Marion

She backs away as Cheryl starts fighting her embrace, well that was as clear as sign that Cheryl didn't like her much. "Oh sorry, I didn't mean to get into your personal space. I just thought a hug might help. You looked rather distraught is all." Marion said with a bit of a frown, "Well if you ever feel homesick and want to talk you can always find me. Only if you want too, of course." Marion steps back and goes to the other end of the table and realizes that she had kinda spaced out for a bit.

That was quite odd to her, and whatever had focused her attention seemed to have drifted away like a memory, "Oh something in the woods? I hope it isn't a bear. I've heard of woods like these and bears." She shrugs and gives a shiver to another large furry thing that had come from the woods once.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Jacob

"Ah, okay," he says as Jack snaps back from his stare. "What do you think you saw?" He follows the man's gaze out to the woods. "I don't see anything." Looking back to the women, he frowns a little as Cheryl protests just how fine she is, knowing that tends to mean quite the opposite. He remembers to keep an eye on the girl, but figures Marion and some of the others will likely be doing the same from now on. "A good night's rest will do you good, Cheryl. It's been a long day, after all."

He smiles sideways at Marion. "I certainly don't see anything that looks like a bear out there either. It, uh, wasn't a bear though, right, Jack?"

Razage
Nov 12, 2007

I'm sorry,
I can't hear you over the sound of how HIP I am.

Steve

Steve only passively paid attention until Jack asked for a camera. For some reason this tuned him back in, "I have a pretty fancy camcorder in my car if you need some detail." He offers as he takes another sip of bourbon. Seeing Cheryl start to breakdown makes him sigh inwardly a bit. It seems they all had some problems. He reflected out loud, "It's the human condition isn't it? We all have those things that get into our heads and mess things around up there. You'll do alright, Cheryl." He says encouragingly.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

Outside the Apartments

When Jack points out where he sees the hand, the others look in that direction. The area where Jack points is in a shadow, but its still light enough not to need flashlights. Jack seems to be pointing to a cleared spot on the ground that sticks and branches on the ground. Nothing unusual to note.

Jack meanwhile sees the fingers of the hand twitch.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.

Clapping Larry

Marion

"Oh, I guess it is gone now then isn't it?" She said with a bit of relaxation, and started to move toward the bench and starts drinking still looking in the direction. Marion tries to look through the shadows, and tries looking for an animal in the distance. Maybe Jack was just playing a joke on her, that wasn't very nice at all.

Axe-man fucked around with this message at Jul 23, 2014 around 20:23

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Aaron

He looks back and forth between Cheryl, Marion, and now Jack, slight concern on his face. Aaron doesn't move at all, though. Frayed nerves and tiredness, that was what he figured. "Hell of a long day," he says. "Suppose it was for all of us. Guess everyone's a bit on edge. Maybe we should just try to relax, have some fun while we can, you know. Thought that was what we were here for?"

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Jack Plissken

Nobody else saw anything. The fingers were twitching, and nobody could see it. Must have been all in his head.

"See? Never saw anything, just thought I did. Little too much time spend in that sandy hellhole and working paranoid as poo poo jobs."

Delusions and hallucinations? Flashbacks were one thing, and they loving sucked, but now Jack was seeing poo poo that wasn't there? Motherfucker. Docs never said anything about that.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.

Clapping Larry

Marion

"I am feeling fine!" She said in a distracted voice, "Just kinda got lost in thought there for a second." She grabs a piece of broccoli and bites into it letting the crunch echo softly in the night.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Jacob

And, as he said, there is nothing in the forest to see but the trees. Whatever Jack saw, or thought he saw, must have skittered off. Maybe just an animal caught his eye. "Well, I'd just put it down to the lengthy drive and the drinks, Jack. Besides, a big open forest around us, we're bound to catch things out of the corner of our eye scurrying around in the trees. Just animals is all." He grins before laughing softly. "But one can never rule out the possibility of a bigfoot sighting."

Still, it's slightly worrying how some of those around him have been reacting in the past moments. He nods at Aaron in agreement. "Indeed. A good bit of relaxing and rest will get us sorted out. May even turn in early tonight, at the risk of sounding like an anti-social oldie." But the cider still needs finishing first, before he thinks of leaving, and he seems in no rush to down the rest of it.

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007
Fighting poverty...one bum at a time.

Kurt Williamson/Simon Marino

Simon finished the last of his beer and scraped the last of the food from his plate. He got up to leave; while he was having fun hanging out with his coworkers(?)/potential obstacles, Simon was tired from the drive over and there was still work to do. "Well, it's been fun, but I am dead tired and I haven't even moved my stuff in yet. Thanks for the food and beer."

Simon went up to his apartment to check to see if it was 'safe.' He was pretty sure that the apartment wasn't bugged, but Basorus WAS under suspicion of doing legally questionable things. Plus, if Simon ruined this whole operation because he said the wrong thing in a bugged room, he would never hear the end of it. Better to be cautious.

Spent some points, I'll update my sheet on page 1. Anyway, Simon is searching his room for bugs. He has Search 14 and Electronic Op/TL8 (Surveillance) 12 (if applicable).

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

The Apartments

Kurt is the first to leave, but as time goes on the others also go back to their rooms as the get together slowly dies down.

Kurt makes a sweep of his room and finds no electronic signals that would indicate surveillance equipment hidden in his room. A search of the room finds no peep holes in the walls or ceiling to spy on him either. The room was clean. Basorus apparently didn't set up the room to spy on him. The other rooms were probably clean as well, but he knew he couldn't tell his coworkers that.

Characters have some free time now. They can sleep and then they will have some time before heading into work. If there's anything your characters want to do before starting work, now is your time to do it. After everyone is set, we'll move onto the first day of work.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.

Clapping Larry

Marion

"Night everyone!" She said as she started to clean up everything and start to take it to the trash with the rest of the food bundled up and put in the fridge, she was done. Clapping her hands together, she felt just the proper amount of tipsy for the night, she felt satisfied with the night. It had been a great BBQ and an even better start of the day. It seemed to be going very well. Marion decided that she wouldn't let the evening go completely wasted.

Using her computer, she started searching for private ads, and memos looking for David. He had to be around her somewhere and if he wasn't, she was going to at the very least search for a way to contact him. The listings and personal ads would make sense for someone with limited funds or at least trying to sell a lot of stuff in a pinch. She just had to find something that was distinctly Davids.

It shouldn't be too hard, but she couldn't imagine that his funds would last forever, and this place might have a pawn shop, but online required less human interaction and would feed into his anxiety and paranoia.

While she was searching for that, Marion decided that should would start a log and journal of her progress on her computer. She wasn't stupid and knew to encrypt all of her data, but she had to keep straight. Also there was going to have to be some evidence of David in the company records, the biggest problem was getting a hold of them without raising alarm. That was going to be the tricky part to get through, but who knew.

Marion already had a few plans for that, but for now, it would just be cursory scans. The other thing she decided to research was the town itself, after all, there might be a website. Sure it would look crazy, but maybe it might be the link she needed. If anyone knew what was going on here, it had to be the town.

Rolling for research 13 to find two things: Either evidence that David is in the area (via like craigslisting stuff, or anything else) and information on the town itself.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Jacob

Acting on his idea of an early night, he stands to leave not long after Kurt does. Giving his thanks to the others for the gathering, especially Marion, he grabs whatever remains in the bottle of red he came with and exits back to his apartment. Not a bad night in the end. A few minor concerns from a select few here and there, but nothing he finds himself worrying desperately over right now. Still, it proved a good chance to know everyone a little better. And at the very least, the BBQ helped him remember the names of his new coworkers.

Entering his apartment again, he takes the chance for a quick shower. Afterwards, he's glad to have little else to do except grab an empty wine glass from the cupboard and finish off the remaining drops of red wine.

Sinking into an arm chair, he turns the Tele on and flips it over to the news. He watches, but doesn't pay much attention. His thoughts are more focused on what he can expect tomorrow. But after all he's seen, how difficult can guarding a warehouse be? Who knows, maybe this will be more of a vacation than he realizes.

With the Tele providing some nice background noise, he sinks further into the chair with his wine, grateful for this moment of piece and quiet.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Jack Plissken

As the party dies down, Jack grabs his bottle, with whatever is left in it, and makes his way back to his apartment. He was still on edge from seeing that goddamned hand. But nobody else saw it, so it had to have been in his head. Maybe a call to the VA was in order? Not that another chat with a goddamned army doc would likely help. Fuckers were entirely useless outside of fixing bullet holes.

Jack has one more drink, before locking the doors and falling asleep on the couch.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Andre

Andre is the next in the steam of people to call it a night. He tells everybody still there "Goodnight," and heads back to his apartment. He refills his water bottle in the sink, brushes his teeth, and lays down on his bed, still clothed. He sets a few alarms in five minute intervals on his phone, plugs it in, and then pulls up a white noise generator on his laptop and sets it to "rainfall, crackling fire, waves, night train" and zones out to the ambient noises, eventually passing out.

He wakes up to the sound of an air raid siren about a good bit before everyone else would have set their alarms. They had no reason to get up this early, but he did. Once he's up, he gets two vacuum sealed packs from one of the cardboard boxes he brought in the night before, throws them in his backpack, and then heads to his car. In his trunk are a plastic gallon bucket with a top and a shovel. He takes them both, then heads into the woods near the apartments, far enough that nobody could see him from the apartments themselves, but not far enough that he would have trouble getting back. He settles on a location between two distinct trees he'd be able to recognize even if he didn't mark them. He starts digging. Andre had done a fair bit of smuggling before and even more hiding drugs, but never out in nature like this. He's got a cold sweat dripping down his face and his adrenaline is pumping.

Twenty minutes later, he's dug a hole big enough to fit the gallon bucket in with some space to space on the top. He puts the vacuum sealed packs into the bucket, then fits the lid onto the bucket, then puts the bucket into the hole and begins filling it back in, covering the freshly dug ground with sticks and dirt. He hoped the plastic and the vacuum seal would be enough to protect from the elements and whatever worms might be underfoot. He takes photos with his camera phone of all the different sight-lines he sees while standing on the spot, and then of the identifying trees. His final act is to bash both of identifying trees the trees with the shovel right above where the trees meet the dirt, leaving another mark for himself to find.

After that, he inspects his work and feels pretty good about the job he's done. He heads back to his car and puts the shovel back in the trunk. Back inside, he locks the pot he kept for personal use (just under an ounce, roughly 3-4 weeks worth, if not more) inside the small safe he brought. He puts some water on to make coffee and hops in the shower. He emerges a few minutes later, clean of all the sweat and dirt, and puts on his uniform, and makes himself an iced coffee.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Aaron

People seemed to be filtering out. "Well," says Aaron, "I guess that's my cue." There was still plenty of beer left, and he elects to take it with him. As he hoists the remainder of the case, he waves and smiles. "Have a good night, everyone. And get some sleep, but don't be waking up too early - our schedule is going to be tricky from here on out, dontcha know."

Soon enough he's in his little apartment, another beer in hand, pecking at the keyboard on his laptop. A couple emails to family and old "friends" - he didn't have many good, legitimate friends really - to let them know he'd arrived okay and everything was fine so far. Innocent enough. A few minutes surfing the web, poking at the news, and so forth. He tries to force himself to stay awake as long as he can, with the looming specter of night shifts waiting.

After a while, though, it occurs to him that now's as good a time as any to get a little extra research here. There were questions that he had, ones that needed answering sooner or later, questions that were part of why he'd left his consulting work behind. And if he was going to be forcing himself to stay awake anyway...why not be a bit more productive?

He downs one PBR, cracks another, and mutters to himself: "...and down the rabbit hole we go..."

Computer Operation/13 and Research/12. Single-Minded also, if it applies. Going to see if some shadier corners of the internet might turn up anything on Basorus that might not already be known, specifically relating to whatever business contacts (or "business contacts") they might have. Will, of course, be using proxies and so forth just in case our fine Basorus overlords are monitoring our apartment internet use.

Fraction Jackson fucked around with this message at Jul 28, 2014 around 23:17

Razage
Nov 12, 2007

I'm sorry,

Steve

As the others left, so too did Steve. He gave a friendly nod to anyone still left when he leaves and then walks up to his apartment with the remainder of the bourbon. Upon entering he looks at the apartment for anything odd or out of place. After feeling satisfied, he takes a seat on the bed and begins to slow his breathing. He stops the idle thoughts in his mind, and brings everything in his mental picture to the present moment. A routine that he had worked himself into, he meditates at the end of a day. Allowing his mind to focus on events, cases, or even whatever personal problem he might need to attend to. He meditates on the strange messages he saw today, on the oddities he found with his companions this evening.

After 30 minutes to an hour, he resigns himself to sleep. He could definitely tell there was something here, he knew why he got the message now. It was just a matter of figuring out what that something was.

Going to use Search [2] (Perception: 12) to check the room for anything strange.

Then going to use Meditation [2] (Will -1: 11) to meditate on the days events, probably more so on the messages then the strangeness of the evening.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Just a warning, I might be phone posting for a bit. My internet is down for some reason. I'm trying to find out why right now, but for all I know my ISP might have disconnected the wrong damned address again.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Marion

She begins a search for her friend by looking at the local craigslist ads. The Craigslist listing for the area happens to be for Northern Michigan which makes her search a little more difficult. She finds no ads that would be from David. In fact there are no posts from Maars posted on Craigslist. Marion's search for information about the town of Maars brings up its Wikipedia page. The page lists geographic and demographic information about the town. When she looks at who has been editing the page, she finds that most of the edits were done by bots. A number of which were reverted by a wikipedia admin by the name of Yooptrooper12. The only other person who made edits is a user by the name of RoneveT. This person seems to have done most of the edits to the page himself. The only other mentions of Maars on the internet come from paranormal forums. It is mentioned in passing by a couple of people that they're heard stories of some cryptid sightings around Maars. No one seems to have posted any details however.

Aaron

Aaron starts his search by looking at the Basorus website. Its contained on a single page with only a single link to get more information. The website merely states the industries the company is active in and its corporate address in New York. There are no other references to Basorus online, which is unusual. For a company to be this incognito on the web, they must make a dedicated effort to remove any mention of the company from the web. An expensive and tedious procedure. When Aaron looks further into Basorus, he looks them up on some websites that aren't easily found. He just happened to know about them. These hidden websites mention Basorus as having a lot of connections to the U.S. Government. None of the people who write about Basorus say they currently are or have ever been Basorus employees. The only information to be found is through second hand sources when employees were less then tight lipped. The basic business plan of Basorus is that it transports classified cargo and then stores it at various warehouses across the United States. Basorus seems to choose out of the way locations for their warehouses. One or two people mention that they have heard of Basorus disregarding laws when the laws were considered a hindrance to company operations. Another person mentions that because of the government contracts Basorus has, the government won't interfere with Basorus operations. Everyone posting on these websites that know of Basorus say that it isn't the NDAs that keep its employees quiet. Basorus has other ways of maintaining secrecy.

Andre

He sneaks out early in the morning. With the moon in the sky, Andre makes his way into the woods around the apartment. Out of sight of the apartment Andre hides his drugs. When he's done, he's pretty sure no one saw him do this and no one would just accidentally find what he buried here.

Steve

Searching his room, Steve finds nothing out of the ordinary. He almost expects to find some message left for him, but for once there is no message waiting for him to find.

He meditates on the events of the day. Unfortunately he finds that he can find no deeper meaning to the messages. The messages seemed to be warning him of trouble, possibly trouble originating from within the group of his new coworkers.

Finding no new answers, he goes to sleep. In the middle of the night, he wakes up needing to take a leak. He goes into the bathroom to take care of his bladder. Then while he's washing his hands he looks into the mirror and finds the name "Marion" in the streaks on the mirror.

The apartments

The night goes without incident. People wake up and find that they have time before reporting into work.

Day time stuff if there's anything anyone wants to do.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Jacob

For what feels like the first time in a long time, he sleeps in and doesn't feel bad about it. From the rays of light peeking past his drawn curtains, he guesses it to be close to midday. Normally he'd feel bad about sleeping his morning away, but it looks like this is going to his sleeping schedule for some time so he may as well get used to it.

Soon enough, he exits his apartment in his running gear and takes off on a leisurely jog around town, getting a better sense of where everything is now that the sun is high in the sky. But it's not all too surprising to find little more to the town than what he has seen during his drive through yesterday, but at least the streets are looking a lot busier. He smiles and nods to any he passes during his jog.

Feeling suitably worn out before long, he passes by the local shop to buy groceries on his way back to the apartment.

With an apartment fridge soon full of food, he takes a shower and changes for work now to save time later. Now paying attention to his rumbling stomach, he decides to be lazy and get breakfast at the diner instead of make it himself. After all, it's just across the street and their guaranteed to make something better than he can make himself.

Entering the diner, he places an order for a full English and a cup of the tea he had the night before. He slides into a booth to wait for his meal and looks out the window, wondering what to expect of his first night at the warehouse.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.

Clapping Larry

Marion

That is interesting, Marion thought to herself staring at the computer, with a brief pause she wrote down the two user names. The lack of anything was actually rather comforting, for some reason. Marion wasn't quite sure why that was, but it seemed to be less ominous by the minute. Locking and closing her computer, she flopped into bed and felt the night take her. Voices and faces flashing before her dreams, maybe they weren't dreams just memories. It didn't matter in the end, she didn't remember anything at all from the night and woke up with a start.

A quick shower and some gym clothes, Marion emerges out of her apartment with blue running shorts and a black top. The pony tail that wrangled her hair seemed to make her look much more strict than yesterday, but her demeanor seemed unchanged as she stretched in front of the apartment complex. A deep breath and she starts jogging toward town, it had been two years since she started jogging everyday. It just felt natural now, and something she really looked forward too.

As she ran in the morning cool air, her mind wandered to the company and what she was doing. What on earth was this supposed to be, she wasn't a cop, she wasn't anything special just a psychologist. It didn't make sense to be here, and she shouldn't be here. Deep in Marion's mind though she knew she was the only one who was going to find anything. Maybe it was paranoia, but when it came to Basorus she just expected them to control everything.

That thought carried her a few miles, but then she found that she was sprinting and running as hard as she could. Marion stopped in front of a store, panting. A moment to just catch her breath, she started walking slowly back toward the apartments.

Marion reached the diner just as Jacob entered the diner and considered following him, but always conscious of her appearance, she starts to adjust and make herself look presentable.

Razage
Nov 12, 2007

I'm sorry,

Steve

Steve looked up and saw the name written in the mirror, he stopped and paused a moment. It was never possible to know weather these messages, or in this case, dare he think it, signs, came from the same place. However, now they began to paint a picture. Flee, wolf among sheep, Marion. Did that mean she was the wolf? Or was she the prey? She seemed fairly harmless. She was a psychologist and while some distrusted the profession, Steve saw nothing wrong with it on the whole. He went back to bed and let the possibilities run through his mind.

When he awoke for work, he got dressed in some casual clothes and had a quick breakfast snack of the left over peanuts from the ride in. Afterwards he went outside and settled down on the lawn to do a morning meditation session before work. Given the messages, it would be best to have his mind calm and ready for the day. He sees Marion take off on for a run and briefly flashes back to the message in the mirror.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Aaron

At first, Aaron's expression as he begins to dig through the mass of information is simply a blank one. His beer becomes almost forgotten as he tries to sift through what is admittedly a jumble of second-hand reports and hearsay. But his eyes go wide at a few points - the same general details were showing up often enough that, whether they were true or false, there was certainly something going on.

He takes a moment to stand, snatching up his beer as he does. He takes a long, slow drink, and wipes his mouth. And then, Aaron starts to laugh, and not all that quietly, standing alone in the middle of the floor in his apartment. "Oh man, this is just too good," he says to himself in between laughter and a few stunned shakes of the head.

After his bout of mirth, he goes to sit back down and make some sense of it. If it was true, the company had some ins with various Feds. And not only that, but if he was reading some of it right, they were a contractor. Possibly involved in some kind of illegal activity - maybe at the government's behest, maybe not. Either way, shuttling stuff around from warehouse to warehouse out in the boonies. And God knows what else.

Of course, he couldn't take it all at face value. At least, not yet. He would need to find more, and to find out what it was all for. If he had the guts to, anyway. He'd assumed there was a good chance that Basorus was some kind of front - but this kind of front had never occurred to him. One step at a time, he had to remind himself of that. But someone needed to know that this had all popped up, that there might well be some kind of metaphorical fire to go along with the smoke.

He kills off his beer, composes a quick email; the contact in his address book is listed as "Vasa". The email itself, though, simply talks about how pleasant his trip up to the UP was, and some interesting landmarks he rode past on the way.

Then he tries like hell to get some sleep.

Cryptography 12, Computer Operation 13. Aaron is both a bit freaked out and a bit intrigued - he's gotta tell someone on the outside that he has some suspicions; but he's sure as hell not sending a message like this in plain English, and he's going to make sure he covers his tracks as best he can...

---

The next day, his chores are more pedestrian. A little bit of unpacking. A run to the grocery store - real food this time, and not just beer. Some light exercise, checking the news, and everything else. Nothing particularly out of the ordinary.

Eventually he and his motorcycle roll up where the others are meeting up before work. "Morning, friends," says Aaron. "...or afternoon. Boy, this schedule is going to get confusing, huh?"

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Simon hummed a merry tune as he screwed the last electrical outlet cover back on, now 100% sure that the apartment was free of eavesdropping. Hell, he was probably a lot more thorough than he needed to be, not necessarily a bad thing. Simon yawned and checked the time; much later than he thought it was. He got ready for bed and passed out quickly.

Simon woke up slightly before noon and started moving his stuff from his car to his apartment, making especially sure to put the safe containing his more 'sensitive' items somewhere out of sight. After he was done moving, he went to the grocery store and picked up some basics. He spent the rest of his day getting ready for work, as well as working off some of the diner food he had eaten the previous night.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Jack Plissken

A good nights sleep, assisted by a few drinks and thankfully free of nightmares, leaves Jack feeling surprisingly good. The memory desiccated hand that nobody else could see, dampened that somewhat. He goes through his morning routine, uneventfully. Push ups, sit ups, a short jog, and a shower, before heading to the diner to grab something to eat.

Opening the door to the diner, he sees his coworkers again. "Hello everyone. Seems we all had the same plan." Jack waves to the waitress, ordering a burger and some coffee.

"So, you all think they have teams planned out already, or we're gonna be dividing ourselves up?"

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Jacob

His meal arrives just as some of his coworkers do. He's all nods and smiles for the arrivals as he digs into his late breakfast, his appetite well worked up after his morning exercise.

"Afternoon, chaps." He nods at Aaron. "Oh, indeed. It does feel odd waking up at such a late time doesn't it? Been so long since I slept in, I forgot how nice it is." He laughs, swirling the sugar into his tea. "Although I suppose we'll all pay for that nice sleep in when we work into the early morning hours."

He shrugs at Jack. "I'd imagine our supervisor will pick for us. Not that it really matters who we're teamed up with in the end. I'm happy with whoever."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.

Clapping Larry

Marion

She walks later than the others, having ducked around into the bathroom after a brief hi and straightened up. It was important to stay calm and Marion had always found the perfection and lines of her dress and look to be a calming effect. It was almost like mediation and it had the added benefit of of making her look her best. Finally straightening the lines of her utilitarian outfit bought and put together by Marion just for work.

Walking out of the bathroom, she looked the part that she had to play. Marion was very calm as she sat down the next to the others, her morning or afternoon at least felt complete. Even her lunch in her car was ready.

"Morning again." She said pointedly, and sat down to her preordered coffee. "Hope everyone slept well, I'm sure it will be by schedule, worse case we can be adults about it." She says sipping her coffee and wishing she had ordered tea, "I mean we all have unique skills, just have everyone where they work best." Taking another deep sip she looks over at the others and ends with a slight smile, "Of course, I say this to angle my way into the cushy position."

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Andre

After Andre buried his treasure, he fell back asleep for a few more hours. He woke up naturally around 10 AM, made a supermarket run for coffee, tea, ice, olive oil, spices, rice, chicken stock, and value pack of chicken breasts. He made an iced coffee, ate some chicken and rice in his apartment, and caught up on ESPN.com. Later that afternoon, Andre changed into some gym clothes and checked out the apartment complex gym, where he ran into Kurt, already in the middle of a workout.

He pops off his headphones off when he sees the other guy. "What's goin on," makes for a greeting while Andre looks around the gym.

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Simon nodded at the other man. "Not much, not much. Workin' off all that food from last night." Simon stopped to drink some water then resumed his workout. Mostly running on a treadmill, some pushups. Simon was never a fan of weightlifting.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Andre

Andre could say the same thing, though not about the food. Working out was the best way to knock out the residual sluggishness of getting stoned the night before. 'True," Andre says, then pops his headphones back on, grabs the 40 lb. dumbbells, and moves over to an open area. He starts with some butt kickers, squats, high knees, burpees, and pushups, then moves on to more strenuous exercise with the weights, doing either agility movements or weights for a minute, then taking a short rest, then moving on to another movement.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Aaron's apartment

In the morning Aaron looks in his email inbox. Among the emails he sees, one is a spam email that somehow slipped by his spam filter. Curious he looks at the email. After reading the body of the email, he realizes that this is the reply for the message he sent last night.

Maars

The day passes. The new employees eat and prepare themselves for the first day on the job. The time to go to work comes and they make their way down the road to their new job.

The Warehouse

The Basorus corporation built the warehouse building several miles outside of town. Those several miles between the town and the Warehouse building contained no buildings along the road. That stretch of road had no development, only trees. Except for the road the area showed no sign of people being in the area.

A large granite sign for the warehouse stood next to the road. Below the name of Basorus was a sign instructing people to turn left to go to the Maars warehouse facility. Turning onto the driveway, you find yourself crossing a railroad line. After the railroad tracks, the driveway runs for several hundred yards. At the end of the driveway stands a guardhouse on the right. A rolling gate made of chain link has been rolled out of the way. On the right side and on the left after the guard house is a seven foot high brick wall.

Approaching the gate on the left is a sign announcing "Basorus Maars Warehouse." On the left in front of the guardhouse is a sign that announces,

pre:
No Trespassing 
Private Property
Use of Deadly Force Authorized
The man standing in the guardhouse waves you in. As you go in, other cars pass through the gate leaving the facility.

Up ahead is a parking lot. Behind the parking lot is another fence. A path leads from the parking lot to this second fence. The fence is seven feet high and topped with barbed wire. Large metal poles supporting lights and surveillance equipment are spaced uniformly along the fenced. Inside the fenced in area is a small building made of glass and brick. It looks like some kind of an office. Beyond the little building stands a structure that looks nearly as large as an airplane hangar. The building has a few small windows near the roof of the structure and an attached entrance at the front. Several people are leaving the building.

Pulling into the parking lot, there is another building to the left. This building has only a few small windows and looks to be two stories tall. It is built like a military bunker. Standing in front of the building are Mara Południca dressed in a blue-grey dress with a matching suit jacket. Next to her is a man slightly taller then her with thinning brown hair. He has stubble on his face and his hair is unkempt. He's wearing the same Basorus security T-shirt and black pants as were assigned to you. While Poludnica stands looking like she's prepared for an inspection, the man stands leaning to one side and smoking. Poludnica waves you over as you park.

Decided to move things along to the Warehouse. If there was anything you wanted your character to do before work, but mention it in your post. I assume travel arrangements have been made to get everyone over to the warehouse.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Jack Plissken

Jack pulls his old muscle car into a open parking space, letting the V8 purr for a few seconds before turning off the ignition. Getting out, and locking the door behind him, he walks over to his new superiors. He reminds himself not to swear at his bosses, at least not until he knows that it won't lose him the job.

"Afternoon, ma'am, sir. Jack Plissken," he says, holding out his hand to the man, "I assume you're one of my new bosses? Facility looks quite solid, better built than some of the mortar-resistant barracks we had in the sandbox."

I'm not sure if this would work, but Soldier/TL9 at 10 to evaluate the facilities' ability to keep out intruders, just from what's visible.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.

Clapping Larry

Marion

After a pleasant but quiet lunch, Marion drove toward the warehouse nervous. Her back filled with all the things she would need for the night and the black slacks and uniform expertly adjusted and fit on her. Topped with a pulled back and utilitarian pony tail, Marion felt ready for the evening, but was slightly unsure what the night would bring. There was a taste in her mouth of dread for the night and she wasn't exactly sure why.

The job was mundane hours of just standing there, and patrolling the same places over and over, Marion reasoned to herself. She looked over the compound and decided that it was secure enough and remote enough to be safe. The feeling in the air for Marion that something was amiss didn't leave her as she parked and slung her backpack and purse over her shoulder.

Holding out her hand, she looks to Mara, "Hello again, nice to see you this evening. So I'm all ready to get started." Marion gives a natural laugh and looks around at the others arriving.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Jacob

After his filling meal at the diner and a needed fix of tea, he feels ready as he'll ever be for working through the night. Pulling up into the parking lot, he leaves his car next to the ones of those who have already arrived. He observes the ground's fixed security of the wall, fence, cameras and lights as he steps away from his vehicle, making mental notes to himself as he walks to the impressively sturdy-looking building that the others are gathering by.

"Hello again," he says joining the others. "And nice to meet you, sir." He nods with a friendly smile to the new gentleman, guessing him to be their supervisor. As they wait for the others to join them, he turns to look at the warehouse, its impressive size easily catching his eye. "Quite the size," he says to no one in particular, finding himself drifting into thought. "Now I see why there are so many of us for one shift."

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Cheryl

Cheryl spent most of the afternoon jogging through the woods before arriving at the warehouse in her regulation shirt and meticulously pressed navy-blue slacks. She stops at attention about ten feet from Ms. Poludnica. "Ma'am." When she takes notice of the unkempt man beside her, she fires off a quick salute to mask her shock and horror.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Aaron

"Nice evening, I'd say, and good to meet you." Aaron waves happily, a bit surprised at the size of the whole place, and more than a bit eager to get the introduction. His new friends seemed various degrees of intrigued as well, but he had to assume not for the same reasons.

"I would guess," he says, "orientation might take a little bit."

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Simon parked his car and stepped out, finishing the last bites of a turkey sandwich while doing so. He joined the others, pondering how to best handle this having-a-second-job-but-not-really thing. Would it be best to be a model employee? Would they suspect someone who at any given moment is on the brink of being fired? Simon reasoned that it would probably be best to do as average job as possible, so as to not stand out.

Razage
Nov 12, 2007

I'm sorry,

Steve

Steve finished up his morning meditation and after getting dressed for work, he strolled around town for a while to get the feel of the place. Once it came time to get to work, he got into his car and headed to the warehouse. It was good he had a map of where to go, he could see getting lost on these random back roads. Once he pulled into the parking lot he got out of his car and stood with the others in front of Mara and the stranger, nodding his head in greeting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Andre

After his workout and a shower, he gets ready for work and drives over to the Warehouse. The multiple layers of security lend a new weight to what he was doing and he imagined it was not dissimilar from prison. Like in addition to keeping things out, they might be trying to keep things in.

When he gets out of the car, he doesn't share this thought, just joins rest of the group.

• Locked thread
«16 »