Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Dre Prince

After pulling into the graveled diner parking lot, Andre confirms he was in the right place on his phone's GPS and notices he'd let the battery run down (should have plugged it in). No time to charge it now, he slides it into his pocket. Doesn't really matter since he doesn't have anyone to call. It was pretty much a one road trip, trees on trees on trees, but he wasn't going to take any chances getting lost. This was the farthest he'd been from Detroit in a while and he was out of his element, but that was the price for being able to take a break from his old life for a while. He turns his car off, gets out, locks it, and heads into the diner.

He takes a seat at the diner's bar and when Kelly glances his way, he says, "Yeah, lemme get a grilled chicken plate, greek salad--no lettuce, and an iced coffee, little milk, lotta sugar." Once the iced coffee is delivered, he swivels on his bar stool and watches the room, waiting for his food, sipping on his iced coffee.

pre:
Name: Andre “Dre” Prince
Race: Human
CP: 150/155 

Attributes [80]
ST 10
DX 11 [20]
IQ 12 [40]
HT 12 [20]

HP 10
Will 12
Per 12
FP 12

Advantages [39]
Very Fit [15]
Fearless X2 [4]
????????  [20] 

Perks: 

Disadvantages [-33]
Addiction: Marijuana (Minor, Cheap, No Withdrawal) [-5]
Pacifism: Cannot Harm Innocents [-10]
Secret: Imprisonment(Unlikely) (Trafficking Narcotics) [-10] 
Greed (Self Control 15) [-8] 

Quirks [-5]

-Thinks He's the Smartest Guy in the Room
-Sarcastic as Hell
-Keeps His Head Down (Quirk Level Loner)
-Loves Horror Movies
-QUIRK

Skills [69]
Acting IQ/A IQ-1 11 [1] 
Area Knowledge: Detroit IQ/E IQ+0 12 [1] 
Armory: Small Arms IQ/A IQ-1 11 [1] 
Boxing DX/A DX+0 11 [2] 
Carousing HT/E HT+0 12 [1]
Chemistry IQ/H IQ-2 10 [1]
Climbing DX/A DX+0 11 [2]  
Comp. Op IQ/E IQ+0 12 [1]
Connoisseur (Drugs) IQ/A IQ-1 11 [1] 
Current Affairs: Pop Culture IQ/E IQ+0 12 [1]
Detect Lies Per/H Per+0 12 [4]
Diplomacy IQ/H IQ-1 11 [2] 
Driving: Automobile DX/H DX-1 10 [2] 
Fast Draw(Pistol) DX/E DX+0 11 [1] 
Fast Draw(Baton) DX/E DX+0 11 [1] 
Fast Draw(Sprayer) DX/E DX+0 11 [1]
Fast Talk IQ/A IQ+0 13 [4]
First Aid IQ/E IQ+0 12 [1] 
Forced Entry DX/E DX+1 12 [2]
Gambling IQ/A IQ-1 11 [1] 
Guns (Pistol) DX+2 13 [4]
Holdout IQ/A IQ-1 11 [1] 
Intimidation Will/A Will+0 12 [2] 
Jumping DX/E DX+1 12 [2] 
Liquid Proj (Spray) DX/E DX+0 11 [1]
Mechanic (Automobile) IQ-1 11 [1] 
Melee (Shortsword) DX+0 11 [1]
Observation Per/A Per+0 11 [1]
Public Speaking IQ/A IQ+1 13 [4] 
Pharmacy IQ/H IQ-2 10 [1] 
Psychology IQ/H IQ-2 10 [1] 
Running HT/A HT+0 12 [2] 
Search Per/A Per+1 13 [4] 
Scrounging IQ/E IQ+0 12 [1]
Shadowing IQ/A IQ+0 12 [2]
Smuggling IQ/A IQ+0 12 [2] 
Stealth DX/A DX+0 11 [2]
Streetwise IQ/A IQ+0 12 [2] 
Tactics IQ-2 10 [1]
Throwing DX/A DX+1 12 [4] 
Urban Survival IQ/A IQ-1 11 [1]

Possessions:
Small Backpack $60
Extendable Baton $60 High Tech pg. 198
TASER M26 $400 High TechPg. 89
Pepper Spray (Pack of Six) $60 High Tech Pg. 180
Winter Clothes X2 $720
Boots $80
Smartphone $300
Burner Phone $30
A Small Safe (3.6 Cubic Feet) $300
Used Car $5000
1lb Marijuana  $4000 
4oz Cocaine    $6800
Cash $2000

xian fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jul 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Dre Prince

"Andre, Dre if you want." He says, then nods at Steve, "Not that different. Figured it would be good to get out of the city for a while. Opportunity opened the door I just had to walk through. Now I'm here."

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Dre

Dre, hunched over his food, makes a face when he hears Marion's order--a plate of lettuce and a fruit salad--but doesn't say anything, just takes another bite. His greek salad and chicken wasn't as good as his favorite greek diner in Detroit, but it wasn't a kitchen nightmare, either. After he finishes his mouthful, he speaks.

"That would be something." Dre said, "If I were hiring a group of people to guard my poo poo, I wouldn't put them straight to work after a long day of driving unless I had to."

xian fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jun 30, 2014

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Andre

"If we're starting tonight," Andre swivels on his stool and asks Jake, "Then who worked today's shift? Or last night's? That's what I'm wondering."

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Andre

Andre hadn't been paying attention to Marion's talk of deja vu and feeling like she'd gone back in time partially because, starving after his drive, he was engrossed in his salad, partially because he didn't have a frame of reference for Small Town, USA, and partially because he didn't engage in that surface level ice breaking unless he had to.

His nightmare customer was the guy who, coming over to buy an eighth of whatever, wanted to sit down on the couch with him while he was watching the end of the Pistons game and talk for thirty five minutes about life, his job, his girl. Andre didn't care. Same when he went to re-up. He didn't feel comfortable sitting in the middle of someone else's business. Just get it and leave.

But something Marion says catches and he repeats it as a question, "From your experience?"

xian fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jul 2, 2014

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Andre

"Same." He says to Mara, then to Kelly, "Can I get another iced coffee?"

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Andre

Andre finishes signing the paperwork and hands it back, "No questions from me." He says.

Back from a long weekend.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Andre

Before Marion leaves, Andre glances at Cheryl and the others who ordered food, "Think some of us just ate, but I could unwind for a little bit. Not trying to show up for the first day of work hungover, though..."

Had a longer thing that I thought I posted last night, turns out I only hit preview, whoops.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Andre

Andre pays for his meal after he finishes, says "See you guys at the cookout," to whoever is still at the diner, then gets in his car and drives to the Gas Station. He fills up the car's gas tank, buys a few 1.5 liter bottled waters and a few packs of cinnamon chewing gum from the gas station convenience store, then drives to the apartment complex. Once he figures out which unit is his, he parks his car, grabs his bag of waters and his backpack, and heads inside.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Andre

After giving the apartment a good once over, Andre goes back to his car for the three cardboard boxes in his trunk and the duffel bag in his back seat. After a few trips, they're all inside, but he doesn't worry about unpacking them yet. He locks the door, draws the blinds, pulls out a laptop and a pint container out of his backpack. The pint container has a pack of rolling tobacco, papers, and a zip lock bag with a gram or so of weed he'd ground up before he left. He didn't want to risk driving with more than just a tiny bit out in the open--the rest of it was in a safe in one of the boxes.

He flips open the laptop, sees it's dead, grabs the charger out of his backpack and plugs it in. While the laptop charges, Andre rolls a quick spliff, takes the still charging laptop into his bedroom, and falls down on the bed. He checks for a smoke detector above him, and there is one, he pops out the battery, and then gets stoned, clicking through basketball articles on ESPN.com as he does so and for while after.

After the better part of an hour, he replaces the battery in the smoke detector, hops into the shower, and after he's out, throws on the same clothes, grabs his half-finished bottle of water, pulls on his jacket, and walks out to the BBQ.

He nods at the others when he gets to the Barbecue, and finds a comfortable looking reclining lawn chair to sink into. He looks around and then up at the stars, so visible given the lack of light on the ground compared to Detroit. "Nice out here." He says, "the stars are crazy."

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Andre

"No you do not," Andre agrees, taking a long swig of water. "So you're from England? Soccer fan?"

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Andre

"I play a poo poo-ton of FIFA." Andre says, "Got into it that way. Pretty slow to watch, but there's no commercials, so it is what it is."

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Andre

Andre says what's up to the new arrivals as they come. "Don't know much about rugby. See it on late at night sometimes and can't follow it. Same as cricket. Cricket makes no sense." He shrugs.

"I don't know how long I'm gonna stay, Marion. Probably just see how it goes and go from there."

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Andre

"Definitely a minute to kick back and stack some paper," Andre says in response to Kurt. He gets up from his lawn chair, grabs a paper plate and heaps a steak onto it. "This looks tight," He says to Marion, "Thanks." Before returning to his seat, and digs in.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Andre

"I got no problems with Michigan," Andre says, washing down some of the steak with a pull from his water bottle. "But I could see myself doing pretty well in a place with a beach and cost of living less than ten dollars a day."

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Andre

"Those commercials were nuts. I always wanted 'em to be a whole show about army dudes juking dragons and demons... way more interesting than just brown people."

Andre finishes his steak--he tends to eat quickly--and leaves a few bits of chewed but not swallowed gristle on his plate. "That." Andre nods to Aaron's concern, "But, also, your ex thinks he has a poltergeist? And he's up here too?" Andre asks, not quite following.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Andre

Andre notices the trio of guys scoping him out a little bit more closely than the rest of the people at the barbecue. Sniffing in his direction, even. Real subtle. Being stoned in public is nothing new to Dre--but he thought that showering and being outside in front of a grill would hide the traces of his weed smoke. Looks like he thought wrong. Must be his clothes. He'll need to be more careful.

He wonders if they'll bring it up before or after their next glass of bourbon; from the porch of their glass house or from inside the living room.

xian fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jul 21, 2014

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Andre

Andre catches Jacob's shrug and mouths 'the gently caress?' in Jacob's direction. The fact that he smelled like weed was definitely not the most out-there thing going on at the moment. He had Cheryl pegged as a former cop in the diner, but watching her now, he doesn't know what to think. He wonders about the split in the group between people keeping to themselves and people sharing their secrets at the first opportunity, and figures he'd be on the keeping to themselves side.

After Jacob does, Andre also notices Jack staring into the woods and asks, "You hear something out there?"

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Andre

"Yeah," Andre pulls out his phone and swipes up to activate the Camera without unlocking the phone, "Probably not gonna get a good shot though. Light's too low and the flash on this thing sucks."

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Andre

Andre is the next in the steam of people to call it a night. He tells everybody still there "Goodnight," and heads back to his apartment. He refills his water bottle in the sink, brushes his teeth, and lays down on his bed, still clothed. He sets a few alarms in five minute intervals on his phone, plugs it in, and then pulls up a white noise generator on his laptop and sets it to "rainfall, crackling fire, waves, night train" and zones out to the ambient noises, eventually passing out.

He wakes up to the sound of an air raid siren about a good bit before everyone else would have set their alarms. They had no reason to get up this early, but he did. Once he's up, he gets two vacuum sealed packs from one of the cardboard boxes he brought in the night before, throws them in his backpack, and then heads to his car. In his trunk are a plastic gallon bucket with a top and a shovel. He takes them both, then heads into the woods near the apartments, far enough that nobody could see him from the apartments themselves, but not far enough that he would have trouble getting back. He settles on a location between two distinct trees he'd be able to recognize even if he didn't mark them. He starts digging. Andre had done a fair bit of smuggling before and even more hiding drugs, but never out in nature like this. He's got a cold sweat dripping down his face and his adrenaline is pumping.

Twenty minutes later, he's dug a hole big enough to fit the gallon bucket in with some space to space on the top. He puts the vacuum sealed packs into the bucket, then fits the lid onto the bucket, then puts the bucket into the hole and begins filling it back in, covering the freshly dug ground with sticks and dirt. He hoped the plastic and the vacuum seal would be enough to protect from the elements and whatever worms might be underfoot. He takes photos with his camera phone of all the different sight-lines he sees while standing on the spot, and then of the identifying trees. His final act is to bash both of identifying trees the trees with the shovel right above where the trees meet the dirt, leaving another mark for himself to find.

After that, he inspects his work and feels pretty good about the job he's done. He heads back to his car and puts the shovel back in the trunk. Back inside, he locks the pot he kept for personal use (just under an ounce, roughly 3-4 weeks worth, if not more) inside the small safe he brought. He puts some water on to make coffee and hops in the shower. He emerges a few minutes later, clean of all the sweat and dirt, and puts on his uniform, and makes himself an iced coffee.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Andre

After Andre buried his treasure, he fell back asleep for a few more hours. He woke up naturally around 10 AM, made a supermarket run for coffee, tea, ice, olive oil, spices, rice, chicken stock, and value pack of chicken breasts. He made an iced coffee, ate some chicken and rice in his apartment, and caught up on ESPN.com. Later that afternoon, Andre changed into some gym clothes and checked out the apartment complex gym, where he ran into Kurt, already in the middle of a workout.

He pops off his headphones off when he sees the other guy. "What's goin on," makes for a greeting while Andre looks around the gym.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Andre

Andre could say the same thing, though not about the food. Working out was the best way to knock out the residual sluggishness of getting stoned the night before. 'True," Andre says, then pops his headphones back on, grabs the 40 lb. dumbbells, and moves over to an open area. He starts with some butt kickers, squats, high knees, burpees, and pushups, then moves on to more strenuous exercise with the weights, doing either agility movements or weights for a minute, then taking a short rest, then moving on to another movement.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Andre

After his workout and a shower, he gets ready for work and drives over to the Warehouse. The multiple layers of security lend a new weight to what he was doing and he imagined it was not dissimilar from prison. Like in addition to keeping things out, they might be trying to keep things in.

When he gets out of the car, he doesn't share this thought, just joins rest of the group.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Andre

Andre follows dutifully. His eyes are darting throughout the tour, paying attention as best he can, but also trying to soak everything in, acclimatize to his new surroundings as best he can, but he's also in a state of mild shock. He didn't expect to be guarding something as highly secure as the warehouse, let alone the vault under it. He's thinking this poo poo ain't exactly Paul Blart but tries not to let that show on his face.

As he thinks about all the security that he's being in charge of--no that's not right--that he's being left to not mess up, he can't help but wonder who it's meant to keep out. He sucks his teeth when he follows that to the logical conclusion, which is that he might find himself in the way of some very determined people.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Andre

"Nope. No Questions right now." Andre says. All told, Andre is pretty happy to be out of that warehouse, considering his imagination is running wild with what could actually be in it.

He's pretty eager to get to work. "Me too," Andre says after Jacob. All of this is going to keep feeling surreal until he can build it into a routine, and doing that started tonight.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Andre

"Got it." Andre says to Mara before she leaves, and nods appropriately as Bob explains the layout of the security room. At every turn, there is a new security camera or motion detector staring Andre in the face and telling him this place was locked up tight. Better to be in here than on the outside, and until poo poo went off, they had a pretty good set up. The couch in that rec room looked pretty comfortable.

Andre steps into the gun line. No stranger to weapons, but at the same time, wasn't about to bring his own to a new job.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Andre

Andre's inspection of his gun isn't nearly as thorough as the inspection that the former soldiers and police officer give their guns. Once it's in the holster on his hip, he heads downstairs.

After Bob explains everything, Andre nods, "I understand the rules." Andre says, then turns to Jacob, "Those teams sound good to me, and I agree that we probably don't need team leads since we're going to be taking orders from Bob."

Sorry about the lack of posting, been a really rough week.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Andre

"Can't really hate on a good walk though, especially if we're about be sitting for a long shift."

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Andre

The walk was good to get acquainted with the grounds, and at every turn (this seems to be a recurring theme to him), Andre sees how buckled up tight this place is. Given that, he's hoping this job will be relatively easy. Just watch as nothing happens.

"What's up John, I'm Andre." He says when they meet Mr. Matrix back at the base. After John explains the relationship between day and night shifts, and the reason for leaving, "So let's not gently caress up." Andre comments dryly before John leaves.

"Yeah," Andre says to Jack, "but no different than us not being told... all the things we haven't been told so far. Previous security problems, what the secret response team is, we're in the dark about a lotta poo poo."

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Andre

"So..." Andre says as the other team leaves, "Is there like... a checklist of things we need to get done while they're on patrol, or do we just chill and wait for them to get back? Or what?"

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Andre

Andre walks over to near Aaron and listens in to the conversation through his radio. "The gently caress? On the first night, too." He says softly.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Andre

"You wear dark clothing and a mask when you're lost in the middle of nowhere?" Andre asks rhetorically.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Andre

"Good lookin' out," Andre says before pouring himself a cup of coffee and one for Aaron. He checks the freezer compartment for some ice, but finds only empty trays. "Dang," he says, before filling up the trays. The next one would be iced coffee.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Andre

Andre walks to the humvee after Jack and Aaron, "Imposing." Andre says, "They're imposing. Would love to roll through the old block in one of these." Andre hops into the back bed of the hum-vee. He figured somebody needed to take that spot.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Andre - Patrol 2

"Doesn't seem to be stopping." Andre says, his voice more tense than it's been up to this point. "That's not the response we're looking for..."

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Andre - South Side

"Umm..." Andre says into the walkie, then realizes he's not transmitting. He fixes that. "He stopped, Bob, but he's got company, and I have no clue what it is. He's got some kinda--" Andre realizes any way he described this is gonna sound ridiculous, but it's what he's seeing. "Some sci-fi poo poo, I don't know, cloaking, going on. Everything's blurry and the guy that was just there fell down into the grass. Like the cloaking knocked him down. Lost visual."

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Andre

"Ah, poo poo." Andre checks his walkie, #No, not a cloak. Cloaking. Like sci-fi poo poo. Everything went blurry around him and it looks like the cloaking, or whatever is using it, knocked him down into the grass. Lost visual.#

Sorry, thought walkie format was for inter-team talking, not talking to Bob.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Andre

#Think we're gonna follow protocol on this one.#

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Andre

Andre hangs by the hum-vee, keeping watch to make sure this wasn't a diversion for something else until Bob tells them they should investigate. #Copy that, Bob.# Andre says, trying to make sure his voice didn't give away his reluctance. He carefully follows Jack towards the fence.

Per 12

xian fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Oct 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Andre

Andre draws his gun and holds his flashlight under it in his steadying hand, the way he's seen cops do it on TV, scanning the depression in the grass. "One of you guys who's been in the military should probably take the lead, but I got your back. Let's get this poo poo over with. We got coffee to drink."

Observation 11

• Locked thread