Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis
Help Wanted - Security at warehouse

The job was a simple security position. Besides the fact that the ad made it clear that this was an armed security job, the position shouldn’t be difficult. Maars, Michigan? Its in the middle of no where. What possible problems could there be? A stray bear or some dumb hick hunter? The worst problem will probably be boredom.

The ad for the job didn’t talk much about the company doing the hiring or what was to be guarded. After initial contact was made with the company, it became apparent the company’s name was Basorus and they needed people for a night time security position guarding a warehouse property. Details about the warehouse, its contents, or further details about the assignment were not forth coming. The contact said that such questions would be answered when the prospective employee got to town.

Information is not knowledge.

Research on Basorus turns up that they are an Importer/Exporter company with many subsidiaries in different fields. The company headquarters is in New York City and it has offices throughout the United States and abroad. There are also other smaller facilities as well. One of them is located in Maars Michigan.

After applications and pre-employment forms are filled out, the prospective employees got a phone call letting them know that they were hired. The Basorus rep on the phone gave instructions on how to get to the town and requested that new hires arrive June first for orientation. New hires were asked to meet at a local restaurant in Maars, Maars Town Diner at five p.m. A Basorus Human resources person would meet them there to start the orientation.

Midway upon the journey of our life
I found myself within a forest dark...

Driving to Maars is an unexciting drive through a thick forest. Except for the road there are few signs of people around. Occasionally houses can be seen through the trees. At times the trees look as though they are trying to reclaim the land from people with the way they crowd the road.

When the sign for Maars comes into view, the trees relent to civilization. A handful of businesses border the road. The buildings look as though they’ve been standing since the sixties. None of the businesses look busy, most of them look closed (possibly closed permanently). At the intersection into town there is a gas station. This gas station looks like it hasn’t been around for that long. Possibly a few years, but not much more.

After the turn the road goes through the center of town. First few blocks are old stores and shops built of brick and stone. The buildings that are encountered next are of a newer construction with designs that eschew the older design esthetic of the previous buildings. The diner then comes into view.

eggs and sausage and a side of toast
coffee and a roll, hash browns over easy
chile in a bowl with burgers and fries
what kind of pie?

Welcome to my game. This is the game thread of [GURPS 4e] Wanted: Full time Security Personnel. Inquire within.

Here is the current roster of Characters:

Dr. Marion Isadora Tipplepot, Ph.D. Psychologist after a missing friend - Axe-man
Jack Plissken Former Soldier haunted by undead - MohawkSatan
Kurt Williamson Undercover Government Agent - Roland T. Dapperman
Cheryl Grayson Cultist - GoatLord
Steve Fishman Private Investigator who gets messages - Razage
Aaron Jameson Security Consultant - FractionJackson
Andre “Dre” Prince Former Criminal - Xian
Jacob Barnes Former Soldier - A Velociraptor!

General rules for this game are as follows:

Post format:

Name

In game text.

Actions and rules stuff

Out of character posts can either be regular text without a name tag or in italics.

When skills, advantages, disadvantages are needed, please post them. When there’s combat, please post a combat stat block to make things easier. I’ll post an example of a combat stat block later in the thread before combat starts.

I need people to be fairly consistent posters. After I post, I expect people to respond within a day or two. I'd rather not have to repeatedly prompt people to post. If something comes up, just let me know and I'll work around it. If the game isn't working out for you or if there's some reason you want to drop, please let me know. If its a non-game related problem, I can work around it or at the very least make sure it doesn't impact the other players too much. If the problem involves the game itself, then I'll do what I can to resolve the problem.

On the other hand, if people are not posting because they forget or ‘don’t have anything to post,’ then you’ll be warned. After that point something bad could happen to the errant player’s character.

Everyone in the game should include their character sheets in their first game post.

Ille qui meritus est praemium habeat

Go ahead, go into the diner and have a seat. Don't worry, you can seat yourself. The place is empty except for people who work there. Take a seat anywhere, the waitress will be by in a moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Maars Town Diner

The waitress writes down the Brit's order and then takes the woman's order.

"You all must be here for the Basorus person. I'm sure she will be along. I'll take the rest of your drink orders now."

Only when she addresses the group is her name badge visible, and it says Kelly. She stands just a hair over five feet. Her fine nearly white blonde hair is pulled back into a pony tail. She wears a basic uniform of a white buttoned down shirt and black pants. She doesn't seem too interested in the conversation.

Razage, I wasn't expecting to start rolling for stuff tonight, but I'll post something for you tomorrow. For the most part there's nothing out of the ordinary here. Except maybe your new coworkers.

DocBubonic fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jun 27, 2014

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Maars Town Diner

Kelly comes out with the food and more drinks for the group. As she serves the food, she says,

"Oh, you're new Basorus employees, eh? Seems they like to hire people in groups. At least in my experience that's what they do. Did they say what shift you'd be working by chance?"

Along with the other food Cheryl ordered she also got a hot large turnover that smells savory with a ramakin of gravy. Also Cheryl gets a slice of apple pie.

DocBubonic fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jun 29, 2014

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Maars Town Diner

"Will do folks." Kelly then goes back to the kitchen to send in the next order of food and drinks.

Now that the group had met each other, real first impressions could be had.

I'm rolling various skills that will help the characters get a first impression of their coworkers. I'm going through everyone's sheets, so there is no need to post anything this time. Also just so everyone knows, I don't roll fast talk, diplomacy, detect lies or any other social interaction skill between players. These skills are strictly PC vs. NPC or vise-versa.

For these impressions, I'm going to use spoiler tags. Everyone is on the honor system not to look at anyone else's. If by accident, you do, then make sure you keep that information out of character. Failure to keep out of character information out of character will bring harsh penalties.

Jacob Barnes
Steve, Kurt, and Dre and seem like they'll do the job fine. Marion seems a little off, but maybe its because of her stance on guns, Jack is a soldier and you can expect him to act like one when trouble starts, Cheryl you can't get a read on, and Aaron seems to be the most suited for the job (or maybe too much).

Steve Fishman
Everyone seems suited for this job in some way except maybe for Marion. The others seem to be from security, military, and law enforcement backgrounds.

Kurt Williamson
Most of the people seem like professionals except Dre. Dre wasn't very forth coming about what he did before this. He wanted to get out of the city? That's suspicious as hell. Possible criminal history. Not a good idea to ask Dre too many questions, no telling how Dre might react in such a situation.

Marion Tipplepot
Steve, Kurt, Cheryl, and Jack seem like O.K. people. They are all on the level. Jacob, Dre, and Aaron aren't all what they claim to be. All of her coworkers seem very capable. If something happens, they'll be ready to deal with it.

Jack Plissken
These folks seem O.K. You get the feeling you're gonna clash with Marion. In better news, you can tell Jacob Barnes is a vet in a way that vets known when they another man who has been in a conflict.

Cheryl Grayson
The other people seem O.K., but they are all outsiders. Best not to speak too much about her history in front of them. The best way to avoid suspicion is to go with the flow.

Andre “Dre” Prince
Cheryl was or is a cop. The others don't seem like they're cops or crooks. Dre has trouble figuring people out, but he knows Steve and Kurt will be good to rely on when the poo poo hits the fan.

Aaron Jameson
Steve and Jack seem on the level. The others aren't what they seem. Don't turn your back on Marion. Aaron has trouble getting a read on the others except for Kurt and Cheryl. Kurt seems like he could handle himself when things go bad. Cheryl, on the other hand, she's hiding her true abilities. If things go bad, she'll be the one you want by your side. Also Dre is either an ex-con or a criminal of some sort.

For these impressions, I used empathy and various skills (such as psychology, savoir-faire, etc). These impressions may or may not be correct.

Edit I got AV's guy's name mixed up. I fixed it now.

DocBubonic fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jul 1, 2014

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Just so everyone knows, in my last post, the spoilered stuff is to be read by the character's player.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Maars Family Diner

As the group makes small talk, another person enters the restaurant. This new person is a petite blond woman wearing a grey fitted blazer and a matching skirt. Her hair is pulled back into a sleek bun. She wears wire frame glasses and carries a brief case. When she enters the room, she scans the entire restaurant before looking directly at the group assembled. Without saying a word she walks over.

"Hello, my name is Mara Południca. I am the Human Resources Director for Basorus Operations in Maars. I assume you are the new hires. It looks like you are all here."

She puts her brief case on the table and opens it.

"We shall begin in a moment. Are there any questions before I begin your orientation?"

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Maars Town Diner

"You are to start the job tomorrow night. Tonight I will be having you fill out paperwork and give you keys to the apartments we have have ready for you all." She looks over to Marion.

"Ms. Tipplepot, we are aware of your request. Your exemption was granted." The woman then looks to the others again.

"Welcome to the Basorus company. We at Basorus hope your employment is long and productive. Your position here is night time security. The group of you will maintain the security of our warehouse building just outside of town. The reason for hiring a large team and for them to be armed is due to Basorus standard operating procedure. It is also Basorus procedure to hire an entire team for security at the same time. You will not be alone while working though, you will have a supervisor watching over you. This supervisor is an experienced security person and they will be in charge of night time operations.

Now before I go any further, I will need each of you to fill in the paperwork." She reaches into her brief case and pulls out a stack of papers. The stack is composed of stapled packets. She hands out a packet to each person at the table.

"These are your W-4s, Non-disclosure agreements, Code of Conduct, Arbitration agreement, criminal and financial background check, and other necessary paperwork."

The packet in question is at least twenty pages if not thirty.

"After you are done filling in the forms, we can continue."

Kelly comes out. Poludnica looks at her sternly.

"I'll have my usual." She tells the waitress. The waitress then finishes up and heads back to the kitchen.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Maars Town Diner

"We are aware of your schooling, Ms. Tipplepot. As far as I'm concerned a P.h.D. does not make one a doctor. When you have gone through medical school, then I will call you a doctor."

Kurt finds nothing amiss in the forms. They all were standard for a large corporation that dealt with Government contracts. The forms didn't say what Basorus did for the Federal government, but it mentioned that employees might have to apply for security clearances through the Department of Defense.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Maars Town Diner

"If you were a psychiatrist, I would call you a doctor. However if you were a psychiatrist, I doubt you would be here." The HR rep then looks to Jack. "The company has reviewed Ms. Tipplepot resume and has found that she would be a valuable asset for this position. Mind you, I am not the one who decided to hire you for this job. That decision was made at the corporate office."

The paperwork is fairly standard, but very lengthy. It seems that Basorus sought to cover all sorts of possibilities with the forms. The forms contain a lot of legalese making the reading of the forms a difficult chore. To make matters worse several pages have small type making it difficult to read some details. Overall no one finds anything objectionable in the paperwork.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Maars Town Diner

Mara begins to collect the signed documents. She responds to Steve.

"Yes." She says this in a quiet, serious tone making one wonder if she has a weird sense of humor or if she actually believes that the contracts have some binding control of the souls who signed their names.

"Are there any questions on the forms?"

Want to make sure everyone signs the forms, before moving on.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Maars Town Diner

Południca collects up the documents from everyone. She then puts the completed forms into her brief case.

"Now that's over with, I can discuss details of the job. You are working the night shift security at our warehouse facility outside of town. Your shift will be seven p.m. to five a.m. Your schedule will be four days working, one day on stand by, and two days off. When you are on stand by, you need to be ready to come in for work if needed. Of course if you work more then forty hours in a week, you will get time and a half.

A tour of the facility will occur tomorrow, when you report into work. You will be issued button down shirts as part of your uniform. Otherwise wear black or navy blue pants. As far as firearms go, you are allowed to use your own hand gun or you will have one issued to you by your supervisor. Ms. Tipplepot is exempt from carrying a fire arm. You will also be assigned other equipment for your job as needed.

Just to be clear, the Basorus corporation has a strict policy regarding fire arms. No illegal fire arms are to be used. Long arms are not allowed except under special circumstances. The misuse of firearms will result in an immediate disqualification of being armed.

Do you all understand so far?"

At this point, I assume everyone has signed the documents she passed out. If anyone has questions now would be the time to ask them.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Maars Town Diner

"Yes, the next thing on my agenda are the apartments you will be living in. They are furnished currently. If you wish to make any changes to the apartment or the furniture, then you have to get permission from the Basorus office here in town. Its just down the street. The building is relatively new, so it should be easy to spot. Also you are liable for any damage done to the apartments."

She reaches into her briefcase and hands everyone a set of keys.

"Here are the keys to your new apartments. The apartments are across the street in the Silent Pines Apartments. Parking spots for the apartments are in a carport and correspond with the number of the apartment. Take the night to move in and adjust to the town. Tomorrow I expect everyone to be at the job at seven tomorrow night. And if there is nothing else, I'll be going."

She waits to see if there are any questions before she leaves.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Maars Town Diner

"Maps? Oh, yes I have something like that in my brief case." She pulls out maps of the area for everyone. "Those maps should help you get around. The warehouse is marked on the maps for your convenience."

She listens and then responds to Marion.

"There is not much to do in town. No community center or anything like that. I guess this town is too small to support anything of that sort."

Południca then begins to leave. When she reaches the door, she answers Marion.

"Fraternization between employees isn't against the rules."

She then leaves.

O.K. I know some of you want to leave the restaurant and rush off to get away from each other, but I'd like everyone to have a chance to go to Marion's impromptu cook out. That's if people want to go to it. Its up to you all. Before she has her little shindig, people will have a chance to engage in other activities before the party gets going (like calling handlers and such).

Here's a link to some maps:
http://tradwiki.foxxtrot.net/index.php/DGD_Maars

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Maars

The group breaks up and goes their separate ways.

Off by himself, Kurt makes a phone call.

"Hi Kurt. You in town? How is the move going?"

Steve goes to the liquor store to stock up on some potent potables. As he drives around the corner he spots a liquor store. One that looks out of place in a small town like this. Considering how small the town is, the assumption would be that there would only be a convenience store or a grocery store to buy alcoholic products. This town has a liquor store larger then most convenience stores. The name of the store is Zagam's Liquor.

After Steve parks and gets out of his car, he looks off to the side. He noticed something in the corner of his eye. Looking over he sees trees. The leaves seem to spell a word, "FLEE." Steve blinks and the message is gone.

Cheryl arrives at her apartment. She sees several of the others who came right over from the meeting as well. As she opens the door, she hears a deep, growling voice demand,

BLOOD

Not sure where everyone else is, so post and let me know. Even if people don't go to Marion's party, I have events planned.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

In the woods by the apartments

Cheryl goes into the woods. In the distance she can hear voices and the smell of grilled foods. She finds herself swallowed up by the trees. The voices disappear. She then finds a baby squirrel on the ground crying for its mother.

Inside Jack's apartment

Jack begins to drink his bourbon. Watching TV and drinking, he feels himself relaxing. His thoughts only concern the show on TV. He takes another sip of his bourbon. It tastes off. Taking another sip, he realizes why it seems off. There's some kind of a grit in the bourbon. A fine silt, like sand. Checking the bottle, he finds that the bottle of bourbon has nothing but bourbon in it. He sees nothing that looks like it would taste like gritty sand.

Zagram's Liquor

The clerk at the register is a tall thin brunette. Her nametag says, "Joan," She looks to be in her twenties.

"I know its a little weird. This store seems a little out of place in a town like this. I guess if you're not from around here, you might think we're all drunks. The truth is, Basorus a lot of the local businesses here. Not sure why they do that, but it keeps me in a job." She begins to check out Steve's order.

I meant to post on Friday, but I didn't get around to it and I don't post on Saturdays much. I'm caught up for now and everyone gets 5 cp to spend on anything they think their character might need and didn't buy before. You can save these points for later otherwise.

Steve can tell the woman is telling the truth and isn't hiding anything.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Around the apartments

Kurt heads over to the apartments and smells the distinctly delicious smell of flame kissed meat.

In the woods

Cheryl performs her blasphemous deed. The voice (or is it voices?) are pleased. The voices say nothing, but Cheryl knows the voices and she knows they are pleased with this offering of blood. In the air is the scent of BBQ.

Zagram's Liquor

Joan smiles at Steve.

"If Basorus didn't come to town, there wouldn't be a town. Uh, we're not all employees though. Business owners get a little financial assistance from the company and people who have lived in the town for over a year or more can get a small stipend from the company too. I don't understand why the company is so nice to everyone. Sometimes it makes me wonder why they're doing this, but then I don't want to rock the boat or anything. I think a lot of people in town are like that. Don't start asking questions or Basorus might stop the money."

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Outside the apartments

Marion looks at the grill. The flames below the grate undulate in unison. She stares intently at them and they begin to take the shape of little humanoids with wings. They all seem to be dancing to some tune that Marion can't hear. As she watches them dance, they begin to grow.

Kurt, Steve, and Aaron all begin to pick up on the tell tale odor of marijuana. Its not something you could mistake as something else. It doesn't take long to realize the source of the odor is Dre. You all can tell that he either smoked or was around marijuana smoke quite recently.

Jack looks off into the woods for a moment. Something catches his eye momentarily. He then looks in the area to see if he can see what caught his attention. It doesn't take him long to see what it was that caught his attention. About a hundred yards into the trees behind the apartment complex he spots something in the shadows. Jack sees something sticking out of the ground. He can not see it that well, but it has the shape of a hand. A skeletal hand whose flesh has long since disappeared or perhaps only a hand dessicated by heat and dryness. The hand doesn't seem to be moving, but perhaps its only waiting for the right time.

Cheryl keeps seeing the animal she killed. She can see it looking up at her. Its eyes are big and pleading with her not to kill it. These thoughts are then interrupted by the voice.

Blood! Energy and life. Power to those who seek it. A bullet for a gun. Armor and shield for those who need protection. The more blood, the greater blood will bring superior evocation. Flesh fails and steel can only hurt the mundane. Blood is the greater weapon. Your destiny lies in blood. And death.

Steve notices a gum wrapper by his feet. Without thinking about it he picks it up. He reads it.

gum wrapper posted:

Betrayal. Wolf among the sheep.

Dre looks around and notices that some of the others (namely Kurt, Steve, and Aaron) looked at him oddly. It seems as if they noticed something off about Dre. Why they did this is hard to determine.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Outside the Apartments

The flames in the grill begin to change. They lose their shapes and become flames again. As the flames lose their shape, they begin to grow smaller as well.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Outside the Apartments

When Jack points out where he sees the hand, the others look in that direction. The area where Jack points is in a shadow, but its still light enough not to need flashlights. Jack seems to be pointing to a cleared spot on the ground that sticks and branches on the ground. Nothing unusual to note.

Jack meanwhile sees the fingers of the hand twitch.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

The Apartments

Kurt is the first to leave, but as time goes on the others also go back to their rooms as the get together slowly dies down.

Kurt makes a sweep of his room and finds no electronic signals that would indicate surveillance equipment hidden in his room. A search of the room finds no peep holes in the walls or ceiling to spy on him either. The room was clean. Basorus apparently didn't set up the room to spy on him. The other rooms were probably clean as well, but he knew he couldn't tell his coworkers that.

Characters have some free time now. They can sleep and then they will have some time before heading into work. If there's anything your characters want to do before starting work, now is your time to do it. After everyone is set, we'll move onto the first day of work.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Marion

She begins a search for her friend by looking at the local craigslist ads. The Craigslist listing for the area happens to be for Northern Michigan which makes her search a little more difficult. She finds no ads that would be from David. In fact there are no posts from Maars posted on Craigslist. Marion's search for information about the town of Maars brings up its Wikipedia page. The page lists geographic and demographic information about the town. When she looks at who has been editing the page, she finds that most of the edits were done by bots. A number of which were reverted by a wikipedia admin by the name of Yooptrooper12. The only other person who made edits is a user by the name of RoneveT. This person seems to have done most of the edits to the page himself. The only other mentions of Maars on the internet come from paranormal forums. It is mentioned in passing by a couple of people that they're heard stories of some cryptid sightings around Maars. No one seems to have posted any details however.

Aaron

Aaron starts his search by looking at the Basorus website. Its contained on a single page with only a single link to get more information. The website merely states the industries the company is active in and its corporate address in New York. There are no other references to Basorus online, which is unusual. For a company to be this incognito on the web, they must make a dedicated effort to remove any mention of the company from the web. An expensive and tedious procedure. When Aaron looks further into Basorus, he looks them up on some websites that aren't easily found. He just happened to know about them. These hidden websites mention Basorus as having a lot of connections to the U.S. Government. None of the people who write about Basorus say they currently are or have ever been Basorus employees. The only information to be found is through second hand sources when employees were less then tight lipped. The basic business plan of Basorus is that it transports classified cargo and then stores it at various warehouses across the United States. Basorus seems to choose out of the way locations for their warehouses. One or two people mention that they have heard of Basorus disregarding laws when the laws were considered a hindrance to company operations. Another person mentions that because of the government contracts Basorus has, the government won't interfere with Basorus operations. Everyone posting on these websites that know of Basorus say that it isn't the NDAs that keep its employees quiet. Basorus has other ways of maintaining secrecy.

Andre

He sneaks out early in the morning. With the moon in the sky, Andre makes his way into the woods around the apartment. Out of sight of the apartment Andre hides his drugs. When he's done, he's pretty sure no one saw him do this and no one would just accidentally find what he buried here.

Steve

Searching his room, Steve finds nothing out of the ordinary. He almost expects to find some message left for him, but for once there is no message waiting for him to find.

He meditates on the events of the day. Unfortunately he finds that he can find no deeper meaning to the messages. The messages seemed to be warning him of trouble, possibly trouble originating from within the group of his new coworkers.

Finding no new answers, he goes to sleep. In the middle of the night, he wakes up needing to take a leak. He goes into the bathroom to take care of his bladder. Then while he's washing his hands he looks into the mirror and finds the name "Marion" in the streaks on the mirror.

The apartments

The night goes without incident. People wake up and find that they have time before reporting into work.

Day time stuff if there's anything anyone wants to do.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Aaron's apartment

In the morning Aaron looks in his email inbox. Among the emails he sees, one is a spam email that somehow slipped by his spam filter. Curious he looks at the email. After reading the body of the email, he realizes that this is the reply for the message he sent last night.

Maars

The day passes. The new employees eat and prepare themselves for the first day on the job. The time to go to work comes and they make their way down the road to their new job.

The Warehouse

The Basorus corporation built the warehouse building several miles outside of town. Those several miles between the town and the Warehouse building contained no buildings along the road. That stretch of road had no development, only trees. Except for the road the area showed no sign of people being in the area.

A large granite sign for the warehouse stood next to the road. Below the name of Basorus was a sign instructing people to turn left to go to the Maars warehouse facility. Turning onto the driveway, you find yourself crossing a railroad line. After the railroad tracks, the driveway runs for several hundred yards. At the end of the driveway stands a guardhouse on the right. A rolling gate made of chain link has been rolled out of the way. On the right side and on the left after the guard house is a seven foot high brick wall.

Approaching the gate on the left is a sign announcing "Basorus Maars Warehouse." On the left in front of the guardhouse is a sign that announces,

pre:
No Trespassing 
Private Property
Use of Deadly Force Authorized
The man standing in the guardhouse waves you in. As you go in, other cars pass through the gate leaving the facility.

Up ahead is a parking lot. Behind the parking lot is another fence. A path leads from the parking lot to this second fence. The fence is seven feet high and topped with barbed wire. Large metal poles supporting lights and surveillance equipment are spaced uniformly along the fenced. Inside the fenced in area is a small building made of glass and brick. It looks like some kind of an office. Beyond the little building stands a structure that looks nearly as large as an airplane hangar. The building has a few small windows near the roof of the structure and an attached entrance at the front. Several people are leaving the building.

Pulling into the parking lot, there is another building to the left. This building has only a few small windows and looks to be two stories tall. It is built like a military bunker. Standing in front of the building are Mara Południca dressed in a blue-grey dress with a matching suit jacket. Next to her is a man slightly taller then her with thinning brown hair. He has stubble on his face and his hair is unkempt. He's wearing the same Basorus security T-shirt and black pants as were assigned to you. While Poludnica stands looking like she's prepared for an inspection, the man stands leaning to one side and smoking. Poludnica waves you over as you park.

Decided to move things along to the Warehouse. If there was anything you wanted your character to do before work, but mention it in your post. I assume travel arrangements have been made to get everyone over to the warehouse.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Warehouse

Poludnica reciprocates greetings. The disheveled man ignores attempts to shake his hands. Attempts to greet him are met with a grunt.

"Now that everyone is here, we can start the tour and you can begin your work here. By the way this gentleman here is Bob. He is your supervisor for your crew. Don't mind him, he doesn't care for ordinary pleasantries."

Bob then speaks up,

"Don't care for shaking hands."

"So," Mara speaks up to move things along, "We're going to go on a short tour of the facilities. The facility sits on a square property that is 40 acres total. This means that the grounds are a quarter mile in each direction. North of us at the gate to the road is also Basorus property, but it isn't guarded. Your priority is making sure the area inside the fence and the area immediately outside the fence is secure. Surrounding the property is a seven foot high chain link fence topped by barbed wire. At intervals along the fence are metal poles holding lights. Most of the property is lit up at night, but not all of it. At the North end, where you came in, is the main entrance. During the day, the guard house has someone manning it. At night the gate is locked and kept closed most of the time. At the southern end of the property is a smaller gate that allows access out. Inside the perimeter fence is a gravel road for security vehicles to patrol.

The building behind me is the security building. This building is where you will work from. Bob will monitor surveillance equipment from the operations desk. When security teams aren't patrolling, they will be located at this building. Bob will tell you more later on. Come on."
She guides the group towards the center of the property to the second gate and the second fence. Mara stops in front of the gate. This second fence is chain link like the outer one, but it is topped with razor wire. Also the lamp posts surrounding this are seem to have surveillance equipment next to the lights.

"This is the inner fence. The warehouse and the Warehouse administrative building are within this fenced in area. At night this gate is locked. The area inside of the fence has several alarms in place in case someone makes it this far onto the grounds. Anything larger then one pound that sets foot in this area at night will set off an alarm. At which point the security team will investigate."

Mara walks through the gate. She walks down a path as a three warehouse employees walk by her. They keep their heads down and don't look up at the security team. They say nothing. Mara points out that administration building takes care of the day to day logistics of the warehouse as well as any paper work that directly affects the building. At night the building is locked and alarms are set. She then brings the group to the warehouse building.

"This is the warehouse building. This building houses various Government and private sector shipments. The nature of these shipments is on a need to know basis. The reason they use this warehouse is because they know their property will be safe from theft or damage." She leads teh group inside the warehouse. She shows the group the small employee areas like the break room and a meeting room. She passes by a couple of offices and then leads the group out into the main room.

The main room takes up the majority of space of the warehouse. The ceiling is over twenty feet high the floor is worn cement with various markings. The room is largely empty. Inside are a couple of fork lifts and at least a dozen pallets on the floor. To the right (west side of the warehouse) are a couple of loading docks. At the back of the facility is a room that looks around twenty by twenty feet with a large "garage" door. The door is closed. Strangely the only property being stored here is one pallet with wooded crates stacked on it. A fork lift is parked next to it.

"I know this looks odd. A warehouse that is empty, but this is a security precaution. Even though we have multiple layers of security here, Basorus knows a determined force of intruders could make their way to the warehouse. The final layer of security for this property is that property is stored underground in a vault built underneath this building. The elevator over there is the only way to the vault where property is stored. The elevator can only be accessed during six hours during the day. At night the elevator is completely inoperable. So even if an intruder made it this far, they wouldn't be able to access the property they were seeking."

She pauses and looks at the group,

"Any questions?"

Bob meanwhile has put out his cigarette and is standing off to the side.

Jack finds that the security measures are thorough. Most intruders would be stopped before they could reach the inner fence and at that point they would then be spotted. The area outside the outer fence has twenty to thirty feet of open space with no cover and there's only a couple trees inside the outer fence for cover. Any intruder coming in would have a hard time hiding.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Inside the warehouse

"Security should have intercepted the intruder before they make it to the inside fence. If an intruder can make it this far, it should only be after the security team has expended all available options. If the security team has to come in here, then it means you failed at doing your job or someone on the security team is actively aiding the intruder." Mara doesn't look at anyone in particular as she speaks, instead she makes sure each member of the team realize that they realize the severity of a break in of the building. Bob then speaks up.

"All the gates and doors are electronic, so there's no need for keys. The property has emergency power as well in case of a power outage. In the event of some emergency and entry into these areas is needed; say, a fire happening or hell a meteor strike on the building, the operations desk can open gates and doors remotely. In the event that something does happen that is beyond the capacity of the security team to deal with, Basorus has emergency measures in place."

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Warehouse

"That is correct," Mara says. "I hope you prevent anything from getting this far onto the property though."

Bob then speaks up to answer Jack's questions.

"What the nature of the emergency response is a secret. None of you have a Basorus internal security clearance high enough to be briefed about the emergency protocols. I do have that clearance and that's why I'm in charge of night time security. If something does goes wrong, I'll call in the cavalry."

DocBubonic fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Aug 7, 2014

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Warehouse

Mara looks at Marion.

"Do you normally schedule doctor's appointments in the middle of the night? You do remember this is a night shift security position right?"

Bob then speaks up, cutting off Mara.

"There's no switching shifts here. If you have to be absent, your team has to pick the slack. If you can't make it, you need a real good reason for not showing up. Being sick means you have to go to a Basorus approved doctor. And before you ask, you don't have vacation time until you've worked for the company for a year. Also overtime is two times your normal hourly rate." Bob then looks over at Steve.

"Information concerning past incidents here at the warehouse is above your clearance level. The company studies past incidents and mistakes in order to revise security guidelines. I'll be going over security guidelines after the tour is over, so everyone will be aware of what to do and not do."

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Warehouse

"Most of the incidents involved the security personnel overreacting to situations. Also we have two humvees for the security teams to get around."

Mara then says,

"I think we're done in here." She leads the group out the door. After leaving the warehouse she goes through the interior fence gate. She walks over to the little blocky building where she and Bob first met the group.

"This is the security building. I'm going to leave you with Bob. He'll get you orientated for your first night. Before I go are there any questions?"

DocBubonic fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 11, 2014

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Security building

Mara pulls out a business card and gives it to Marion.

"Bob will also give you an employee's handbook that has information about pay schedule and other administrative details. The handbook will also let you know of the company's rules of conduct. Most of which you are already familiar with by now. Night everyone."

Mara heads off to the parking lot.

"O.K.," Bob says. His tone of voice sounds more positive as Mara leaves. "We'll head inside and finish up your orientation."

Bob heads up to the door of the security building. He takes out a small card and waves it at a sensor next to the door. He then heads into the building and waves everyone in. He then unlocks a second door and makes sure the group enters the building.

Inside a table sits in the middle of a large room. In different areas of the room is a small kitchen, lockers, a sofa and chair, stairs going up and down, and two bathrooms.

"This is lounge area and general purpose room for security." Bob then hands out credit card sized blank white cards with names on them. Bob hands out the tags to everyone. "These are keys to the security building and other buildings except for the warehouse building. These are your locker keys too. You can keep your work gear in the lockers here."

Still getting over a cold, but here's a short post moving things along.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Security building

Bob points to a rather large metal locker off in the corner.

"That locker has emergency gear for medical incidents and other issues. Hopefully it won't be needed, but if something happens you know where it is. We're going to go upstairs next, the security desks are upstairs along with the weapons locker."

Bob leads the group up the stairs.

Upstairs there a small hallway, to the left are two doors with placards saying "Security Operations." Both of the operations rooms have small card readers next to the doors. To the right is an unmarked door and at the end of the hall is a metal door set into a metal frame there is a keypad next to the door.

Bob walks up to the second of the two doors and swipes his key card to open up the room. He opens up the door. Inside are a handful of monitors and at least two computer screens. Those with previous security experience notice that the set up has more to it then what a normal monitoring station might have.

"This is where I am most of the night. I'll be monitoring things up here, while you are out patrolling or waiting down stairs."

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Security building

"Why would you pick the wrong door? There are only four doors up here. Two labeled, one is obviously the vault and then there's unmarked door. If you feel some dire urge to look behind the unmarked door, go ahead, but its just storage." Bob lets Marion think about that and answers Kurt's question.

"Its a specially designed system by a company named Portunes Security Ventures. I believe they handle the security equipment for all of Basorus. At least that's what I've heard. Not sure if they managed all the security systems for Basorus or not."

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Security building

"We handle things differently here." Bob says to Marion. He turns his attention to the others to avoid embarrassing Marion any more.

"The cameras are are mainly trained on the area surrounding the inner fence. There are some cameras trained at the front gate as well. Elsewhere on the property we have other means to detect intrusion, which I'd rather not go into at the moment."

Bob closes the door and walks down to the locker. He punches in a code and opens up the locker. Inside the locker is a space the size of a large closet. The locker has shelves from floor to ceiling. On the shelves are handguns and ammo. A table is in the middle of the armory locker.

"We assign handguns to the security teams. Everyone except Marion gets one assigned to them. If you would prefer to use a different pistol, then I'll need to see it first. Make sure its nothing that would be a problem. Now, everyone line up and I'll start signing out pistols.

Also we'll be splitting the group into two teams. One team patrolling, one team here in the security building. Alternate occasionally. Both teams get a dinner break. If need be I'll send out the other group or part of the other group if I think its necessary."

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Security Building

"Pick your own teams. You know each other better then I do." Bob says as he signs out guns.

When he gets to Jack, he says,

"Prepared I see." Bob then inspects Jack's gun. He writes down some notes on the ledger he has in the gun locker. After he's done, he hands the gun back to Jack.

Marion looks into the locker and sees at least a dozen handguns that roughly all look the same and boxes of ammunition.

After everyone is done with the weapons locker, Bob locks it back up and heads back down stairs. He has everyone gather around the main table. Downstairs he places a map on the table.

Map legend posted:

1. Entrance drive way
2. Outer Fence
3. Parking Lot
4. Security Building
5. Administrative Building
6. Inner Fence
7. Warehouse
8. Warehouse Garage
9. Utilities Building
10. Rear gate.

"See the colored regions on the map? Those are all different zones. The green one is the Exterior zone. This is the area outside the fence surrounding everything. This area is cleared of brush, trees and the grass is mowed. There are no lights in this area. It is owned by the Basorus company, but is used as a buffer area. If you happen to spot something in this area, you are to radio it in. If you spot someone and they're within range of communication, then you are to warn them that they are on private property and they should leave immediately. You are not to pursue anyone in this area without my approval.

Inside of the Exterior zone is the outer fence. The Outer fence marks the edge of property to be patrolled. Patrols should remain on the inside of this fence. This fence is seven feet high chain link fence. At intervals around the fence are metal poles with lights on top. At the southern end is the gate for the property. There is a guard house just inside the gate. The gatehouse is manned during the day hours, but at night it is vacant. The assumption is that there should be no visitors to the facility at night. The gate is stronger then the regular fence. The opening and closing of the gate is done in the security building. During the day the gate is always open. At the south end, there's a door to allow access to the south end of the property quickly. This door has a locking mechanism that can only be opened from the inside with the security cards that you have been issued.

If you see an intruder approach the fence, then tell them that they are trespassing on private property and that they should leave. If that doesn't get them to back off, let them know that deadly force is authorized. You should not take any other actions until they make it into the yellow area.

The yellow area is the Outer zone. This is your primary patrolling area. Ten feet inside the outer fence is a dirt/gravel road that circles the entire property. Most of the area in the outer zone is well maintained grass, but there are trees scattered through out the zone. There are several buildings in this area. Besides the security building, there is also the garage and the utilities building. The garage is where basic maintenance is done on the vehicles and where ground maintenance is based. No one should be there during the night and the door should be locked. The third building is the utilities building. All of the properties utilities are routed through there. At night either Mort or Grim should be working. When they're working, they stay in the building making sure there's no problems. Both of them are quiet guys who don't like to be disturbed. If need be they can be reached via radio and if there's a problem they can radio us.

Now if you happen to spot an intruder in this area and this is the first time they've been noticed, then tell them that they are trespassing on private property and they are to desist in their actions. Its up to your discretion whether you tell them that deadly force is authorized. If the intruder stops and surrenders to you then you are to escort them to the front gate. At this point, I'll make the decision as to whether or not to involve the police. If police aren't called, then the intruders should just get a verbal warning and told not to come back. If police are needed, then I'll give you instructions at that point. Usually police aren't needed.

On the other hand, if the intruder disregarded your verbal warning before and they continue to intrude, then you are to apprehend them. Use minimal force when subduing them. If necessary you are allowed to use pepper spray or a taser. Lethal force should not be used to apprehend them. The exception to this is if your own life is in danger. This means that there is a clear and present danger to your life. The trespasser drat well better have a weapon present before you consider drawing your own. I can't give details, but previous security personnel have drawn weapons on unarmed people. The company narrowly avoided a law suit over that incident. I don't want to have to go through that situation again, so be damned careful. After the apprehension of a troublesome intruder. We'll keep the trespasser in custody until such time as we can turn them over to police.

Next we come to the Inner fence. This is the fence that surrounds the warehouse and the administration building. At intervals there are metal lamp posts. Most of the fence is illuminated by these lights. At the northern end of the fence is a gate similar to the one at the outer fence. This gate is open during the day and at night its closed, openable only by the security desk. Any intrusion that gets this far in will be detected and should have been met with a security team. Any intruders approaching this inner fence should be apprehended using non-lethal methods. If an intruder makes it to the fence and attempts to get through the fence and they have been warned, then you are authorized to use lethal force to stop them.

Inside of this fence is the inner zone. No intruder should be allowed to get in this far. Alarms will be going off and I expect the whole team will be taking down the intruder. At this point emergency procedures will be enacted. Hopefully this situation doesn't happen. There's been a couple incidents where intruders got to the inner fence and the emergency procedures came into play, but they were stopped before they got to the warehouse. Since then, new procedures have been implemented to prevent incidents in the future.

Now, while lethal force is discouraged in most circumstances, if an intruder starts shooting or actively commits a violent act against an employee or to one of the buildings, you are allowed to respond in kind. It should be considered that last option though. Any questions?"

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Security building

"That's right Aaron. Also you all will have tasers. Check your lockers. We don't bother keeping those locked up in the weapons locker." He then looks to the people who haven't spoken up.

"What about the rest of you? Do you understand the rules?"

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Security building

"Sounds like you got the teams figured out. I'll be calling most of the shots, so you don't have to worry too much about who's in charge on the teams. I figure within the first night or two, you'll probably figure out who's the leader anyway. It seems to happen that way a lot." Bob begins to walk back towards the stairs.

"You should take a walk around the perimeter of the property. Walk, no vehicles. Your shift is about to begin and I think it would be good for you to get a look at the property before it gets dark. The other security team is out doing their final patrol too. Say hi to them."

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Warehouse Grounds

Leaving the security building there are two identical black humvees. On the front doors, it says "Basorus Security" confirming that these are the vehicles assigned to the security teams. The group begins their walk by going towards the front gate. The parking lot to their left is mostly empty now. They see their own vehicles as well was a couple of other vehicles, most likely belonging to those people still on the property. Most of the day crew seem to have left. The group walks up to the front gate.

Even though the front gate is still open, they can see what the gate positioned behind the outer fence. While the fence is only seven feet tall chain link, the gate seems to be constructed more sturdy. The front of the gate is thin sheet metal, behind the sheet metal are metal bars going from top to bottom with about a foot of space between them. At the top, middle and bottom metal bars have been welded onto the back of the vertical metal bars. The gate looks as though it could withstand being rammed.

A gravel path starts at the edge of the drive way.

Gonna do a quick run down of what the outside looks like and point out the interesting security details.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Warehouse grounds

Walking around the fence allows the group to see the set up of the place. Most of the lights were located around the inner fence, but the light managed to illuminate most of the area inside the outer fence. Anything getting over the outer fence would have a hard time finding shadows to hide in. The grounds had a few trees, but the trees would provide little cover for anyone trying to sneak onto the property. Outside the fence the grass had been mowed and there were no trees within fifty feet of the fence. Beyond the fifty feet, it was a forest. The group kept walking and found that at the back of the property the forest gave way to a swamp. Trees gave way to tall grasses and cattails. Some glimpses of water could be seen peeking through the plant life as well. As seen on the map inside the security building, there is a gate for access to the area beyond the southern fence. Along the way back to the security building, the group also happens to spot several other buildings as marked on the map.

When everyone gets back to the security building, they walk inside and see a man wearing black fatigues and a Basorus T-shirt sitting at the table. He wears his blonde hair cropped close to his head. The man shirt barely fits his large physique. He looks over at the group as they come in.

"So you must be Bob's new crew. Welcome to Warehouse. Hi, I'm John, John Matrix. Nice to meet you folks. I'm the head of the day security."

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Security building

"I had my team take off. Figured Bob's team was on the clock, so my team didn't have to stick around. Yeah, we're just leaving when you get here." He looks at Kurt and smirks.

"Schwarzenegger? Never heard of him. He some kind of an actor or something?"

He then answers Steve's question.

"The day shift? I imagine its like the night shift, except we deal with more people. Occasionally we'll have an incident, but not much. The day shift doesn't talk much with the night shift. One is leaving while the other is clocking in, so we don't have much time to have a rivalry. Might be some resentment from the night shift, since we work normal hours and the night shift doesn't. The day shift has been working together for a few years. I don't know what it is with the night shift, but those people don't seem to stay in the job too long. And if you're wondering, I don't know why that is. Bob seems like an O.K. boss and the job itself doesn't seem too hard or dangerous. Hope you folks decide to stick around for a while." As he says that last line, his eyes linger on Marion.

John gets up from the table and walks to the door. He looks back to Aaron.

"If you ask me, I think the company is a little too paranoid about its security. A lot of worry over nothing. The few incidents that have occurred were the fault of the security personnel they hired. Those people are gone now. The company probably knew exactly what they were doing when they hired you all."

Steven notices a small piece of paper on the floor. Without thinking he picks it up.

Picture

Go ahead and look. You know you want to.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Security building

"Hey everyone," an intercom in the room came alive with the sound of Bob's voice. "All of the day shift people are gone, so I'm shutting the gates for the night. Which ever group is first can head out."

When people are speaking on a radio, I'd like them to put a pound sign (#) before and after what is said and bold it. I believe this what we did for the last game and it seemed to work out O.K.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Security building

After a short search Jack finds a pack of playing cards in the kitchen. Cheryl looks through the small kitchen making a mental inventory of what's in the kitchen. In one drawer are plastic utensils, another has several kitchen knives. In one of the cupboards Cheryl finds a can of coffee and filters for the coffee machine sitting on the counter. She begins to make the coffee when she hears a voice in her head.

Go to the basement.

The voice is only as loud as a whisper. Even though it wasn't loud, she knew it was a command. The voice wanted her to go down into the basement. Bob mentioned the basement and pointed to the door, but didn't bother going down. He didn't say that no one should go down into the basement either.

On Patrol

The front part of the property is quiet. Nothing can be seen at the edge of the woods which surrounds the warehouse. Even in the dim light anything trying to sneak up to the fence would be spotted before it could reach the fence. The only place to hide are the woods beyond the flat grassy area.

When the group drives to the back of the property, the woods give way to a high grass swamp area. The swamp doesn't look like it could hide anyone unless they were keeping low to the ground. Also the intruder would have to make their way through a swamp that looks as though it would be tough to move through during the day, much less the night.

Those looking out the driver's side windows then see something stand up at the edge of the swamp. The lights of the warehouse only provide enough light to help spot dark shapes to be silhouetted against the darker background. The shape of the shadow is taller then the grass and has a rough humanoid shape.

I've been sick for the last couple of days, so I haven't posted. I'm not at the top of my game right now either, but I managed to get a post up for everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Southern side of property

As Roland calls in the incident, Marion brings up a flashlight and shines in the general direction of the figure. She trains the flashlight on the dark shape. The light of the flashlight doesn't reflect off of anything on the person nor can Marion see any details. It seems that the person out by the swamp is wearing black clothing and nothing reflective. Even stranger, the person seems to be wearing some kind of a mask hiding their face.

Then as Marion tries to make sense of what she's seeing, she sees the shape move out of the light and deeper into the swamp. The figure moves into the swamp so the bottom half of their shape is hidden by the tall grass. All that shows are the figure's shoulders and head.

#Are you sure its a person? I don't want you going chasing after it, but make sure its a person and not just shadows.#

Also I don't know if I made this clear before, but the radio chatter can be heard in the break room at the security building. It comes over the same intercom as Bob's voice did before.

• Locked thread