Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Dr. Marion Tipplepot, PH.D.

"Okay, think of this rationally." She said to herself in the car, across the street from the diner. Sitting in the car for the last twenty minutes, she realized that she had parked in her old parking space. Or rather, the one that never existed. In the world of the coma this had been their apartments, and Marion had not been thinking when she pulled in, it was like she had been gone away for a long time, but she was back home. Now they weren't apartments, but the parking space was there and that had been enough for her muscle memory.

"Just think of this rationally, just muscle memory is all, shake it off, Marion." She shook her head and then looked over the information she had managed to dig up before she had come. It was a rather large importer/exporter. Had a ton of offices over the place and smaller facilities like the one in Maars, Michigan. Marion took a logical leap and figured that these items were either very valuable or rather very illegal.

It would explain the need for armed guards and the the possibilities that David had not been subject to a mental breakdown. The signs were all there, a small insular community that depends on a single company for employment, much more likely to cover up, or at least be loyal to it. Whatever was happening here, Marion was sure it would take a lot of time for the townsfolk to warm up to her, if at all. That was going to be a problem, but not insurmountable.

The important part would be whether they would recognize David, if he had a mental break and caused a industrial accident that they were covering, it would be hard to track down officially. Wherever, David was it wasn't in a hospital, nor psych ward. She had already checked those months before, and anything that came in here, would have to be airlifted out most likely. Marion shook her head looking at her Laptop, all of the signs pointed here to this position and this job. Whatever had happened to David resided here.

Encrypting the data, she shutdown her laptop and glanced at her watch, and got out of the car, taking a few minutes with her compact to undo the damage of hours of driving. It wasn't until she seemed rather perfect in Marion's eyes that she started walking over toward the diner. Wearing a black blouse with a grey vest a slash of dull purple in her pocket was accented by a grey patterned skirt and purple heels, Marion felt ready to take on her rather harrowing task.

The heels clicking along the pavement crossing the street toward the diner sounded almost unnaturally loud in the deserted Maars atmosphere. Finally, getting to the door and opening it unceremoniously loudly as she strolled up to the counter. Managing to the get the last of the Kurt's declaration, she smiled at him and the crowd that had formed in the diner. "I assume we all are here for the job, aren't we?" She added to his comment.

"Why don't we all sit together, then?" Marion said with a friendly smile, giving the waitress's nametag a cursory look, "Kelly, I think I will have some green tea. Thank you so much." She added with a winning smile before turning to the others. Her critical eye looked between them hidden by her cheery smile and disposition. "My name is Marion." She said casting aside at least for now her honorific.

Online Character Sheet
pre:
Name:	Marion Tipplepot	CP:     	150
Height:	5'6"             	Disadv limit:	-
Weight:	125	                CP Used:	150
Eyes:	Hazel           	CP Left:	0
Hair:	Brown		

Attributes	CP	111
                CP
ST	10		
DX 	11	20	
IQ	13	60	
HT	11	10	

HP	13	6	
Will	15	10	
Per	14	5	
FP	11		

Basic Lift	20		
Damage			
Thrust: 	1d-2		
Swing:  	1d		

Basic Speed	5.5		
Basic Move	5		
Dodge   	8		
Languages	Spoken          Written 	CP
English  	Native          Native  	0

Culture	                	CP	
MidWest US	native   	0	

Social Stats                    CP			
Appearance	Attractive	5	
Status   	0		
Reputation	None		
Wealth  	Average		
TL      	8		

Advantages      	CP	15
                                        Notes
Eidetic Memory   	5		
Social Science Wiz	5		*
Empathy         	5		Sensitive

Disadvantages   	CP	-25
                                        Notes
Weirdness Magnet	-15		Fae
Chummy          	-5		
Pacifism        	-5		Reluctant Killer

Quirks          	CP	-5
                                        Notes
Skeptical       	-1		
Careful         	-1		
Nosy            	-1		
Like: Literature	-1		
Imaginative     	-1		

Skills                  CP	54
Skills                  	Stat/Diff	Stat Mods	Levels	CP	Notes
Area Knowledge(Penn.)    	IQ/E    	IQ+0    	13	1	
Bicycling                	DX/E    	DX+0    	11	1	
Body Language           	IQ/A    	IQ-1    	12	1	
Computer Operation         	IQ/E    	IQ+0    	13	1	
Cooking(Vegetarian)     	IQ/A    	IQ-1    	12	1	
Current Affairs(Science)	IQ/E     	IQ+0    	13	1	
Detect Lies             	Per/H   	Per-1+1  	14	2	
Diplomacy               	IQ/H    	IQ-1    	12	2	
Driving(automobile)      	DX/A    	Dx-1    	10	1	
Expert Skill(Faerie Lore)	IQ/A    	IQ-1    	12	1	
Finance                 	IQ/H    	IQ-2    	11	1	
First Aid               	IQ/E    	IQ+0     	13	1	
Guns(Pistol)            	DX/E    	DX+3    	14	8	
History	                        IQ/H          	IQ-2+1   	12	1	
Housekeeping            	IQ/E    	IQ+0    	13	1	
Judo                    	DX/H     	DX-1    	10	2	
Karate                  	DX/H    	DX+0    	11	4	
Literature               	IQ/H      	IQ-2    	11	1	
Mathematics(Statistics)  	IQ/H    	IQ-2    	11	1	
Meditation              	Will/H   	Will-2  	12	1	
Navigation(Land)        	IQ/A    	IQ-1    	12	1	
Observation             	IQ/A     	IQ-1    	12	1	
Occultism               	IQ/A     	IQ-1    	12	1	
Photography             	IQ/A     	IQ-1    	12	1	
Psychology              	IQ/H    	IQ+1+1+1	16	8	
Research                	IQ/A    	IQ-1+1   	13	1	
Running	                        HT/A           	HT-1    	10	1	
Savoir-Faire(Academia)    	IQ/E     	IQ+0    	13	1	
Shortsword(Baton)        	DX/A    	DX-1    	10	1	
Sociology               	IQ/H     	IQ-2+1   	12	1	
Swimming                	HT/E    	HT+0    	11	1	
Teaching                	IQ/A     	IQ-1     	12	1	
Theology(Pagan)          	IQ/H    	IQ-2    	11	1	
Writing                 	IQ/A     	IQ-1    	12	1

Totals	
Stats:  	111
Advantages:	15
Disadvantages:	-30
Skills:  	54
Total:  	150	

Equipment	
Starting Wealth:	20000
Money Spent:    	19373.5
Money Left:     	626.5
Combat Weight   	16.02
OoC Weight      	28.22
Combat Encumberance	None
OoC Encumberance	Light

Location	Armor   	DR
Skull		
Face		
Neck		
Torso	Early Concealable Vest	8|2
Arms		
Hands		
Legs		
Groin		
Feet	Reinforced Boots	5|2	

Melee Weapons 	Damage  	Reach  	Parry	Notes
Punch    	thr-1 cr	C	0   	Bare Fists
Kick    	thr cr  	C,1	No	Bare Feet
Baton   	sw cr/thr cr	1	0	ST 8

Ranged Weapons	Damage          	Acc|Range	RoF|Shots	Notes
TASER M26	1d-3 pi/HT-5(0.5) aff	0|7     	1|2(3i)  	Bulk -2, Rcl 2, ST 7

Item            	Location	Weight	Cost	Notes
Reinforced Boots	Feet     	3	75	DR: 5/2
Early Concealable Vest	Chest   	2	200	DR: 8/2
Pocket Notepad   	Vest    	1	1	
Droid Phone     	in pocket	0.5	350	C: 4
Belt holster     	belt    	1	25	
Load Bearing Vest	Torso   	2	30	
Handcuffs        	vest    	0.5	40	
swiss army knife	vest    	-	25	
Ballpoint Pen   	vest    	-	0.5	
Batteries (4)    	Vest    	1.32	4	S
Belt            	Torso   	-	20	
TASER M26        	Belt     	1.1  	400	Air Cylinders+8 XS 40 sec
M26 Air Cylinders	Belt    	1	80	Reloads: 4 (2 per)
Baton           	Belt    	1	20	
16 XS Batteries   	Vest    	1.6   	8	XS 16 batteries
Computer, Laptop 	in backpack	3	1500	C: 5
Backpack, Small(40)	back/car	3	60	
Basic Digital Camera	Backpack	0.5	150	
Scientific Calculator	purse   	0.2	30	
Purse           	shoulder/trunk	1	50	
Water Bottle    	Backpack	2.5	10	
Cigarette Lighter	purse   	-	10	
Compact              	purse   	-	5	
Blush           	purse   	-	5	
Fancy Ballpoint Pens(4)	purse   	-	5	
Wallet          	purse    	2	20	
Eyeliner         	purse    	-	5	
Lipstick         	purse    	-	5	
Mascara          	purse    	-	5	
Green VW Jetta (New)	Parking lots	-	10000	
First Aid Kit   	Trunk   	2	50	
Survival Kit     	Trunk   	1	5	
Heavy Coat      	Trunk   	4	180	
Low Rent Apartment				
Furnishings/Basics	Apartment	-	5000	Status 0
Medium Desktop Computer	Apartment	-	1000	Complexity 4
*Anthropology, Sociology, Psychology, History, Geography, Research

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jul 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Marion

"Thanks again." Marion says with a genuine smile at Kelly, and let her go on her way. To Jack the smile goes a little plastic, but she takes his hand and gives it a shake. "Charmed, I think we all are rather curious about that. I doubt they would tell us though, you know how companies are." She says rather diplomatically at the moment, taking it in slowly. Marion was not easily shocked, but Jack seemed to be rather devil may care about the situation.

Leaning back in her seat, she let out a sigh and then thought for a moment. "I don't suppose there is going to much to do around town on our time off." Marion finally said after a pregnant pause. "There doesn't seem to be a lot here at all."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Marion

The crowd in the diner was picking up, Marion decided. As the others gave a their introductions, she reciprocated quickly with a smile and a nod, though those that did not did not escape her notice either.
The woman ordering food seemed to be doing so in a great hurry as if the idea and order would escape her in an instant, while the new arrival ordered more sugar than coffee as her dad use to say. They seemed interesting, and before Marion could try to pull them over to the ragged group Jacob approached them.

"They might have a few things to enjoy, like maybe I don't know a book club." She said with a bit of a ragged smile.

Jacob broke her poker face when he approached with the photos of the his wife and daughters. There was a pang of regret as she remember's David Sarah, but her face hides the inner wince from the man in front of her.

"Oh they are are adorable, what are their names and how old are they?" She asks examining the photograph intently, Jacob's accent had been pleasant for sure and she felt a little envy toward his own family, but only a little. "Grand Rapids isn't that bad, I have a friend down there that is doing pretty well, but I can understand how it is to be far apart from your family."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Marion

"Oh 4?! That is a good age! They look absolutely priceless. I love the names too, though I'm partial to Lilly more." She says giving a little chuckle at his joke of his wife's age. They looked like a lovely family, and the picture was worn and well loved. "They look very much like their mother though, especially in those outfits." She says casually, "I can imagine that moving from England to the United States must have been a very large change."

"I've only been to Ireland myself, and I loved it. I did a stop over in London though, and went to a few events and the like there. This place seems so far removed from everything I have to admit." She adds looking out the window now instead of the people at the inside squinting her eyes as if she would see a tailor shop in the distance that wasn't there.

"I hope there is a gym, I really need to get a workout every day or I'm useless." Marion says a bit huffed and dazed, finally with a shake of her head she looks back at the others in the diner.

Calling out to the others that were still at the front, "Are you all coming for the security job? I think that we all are? Might as well get acquainted" Marion then proceeds to make introductions for herself and the others she knew to the newcomers ordering food.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Marion

She laughs at the idea of starting something big with the twins, "Either she wanted to start something big, or wanted to have it done all in one go." A little snicker follows it, before turning to Cheryl, "Hello Cheryl, nice to meet you. I'm Marion and it is a pleasure, though, I wasn't born in a city, just been around the last few years for school." She said a bit vague about her history, it wasn't the time to break out things when they were all just getting to know each other.

"Right now, I think we all are waiting for them to show up." Marion said to the newcomer letting Jacob have the first introduction before interjecting her own greeting. "I'm Marion, and I assume that they must hire them in groups at the very least. Maybe they have a high turn over rate." Her smile lessens a bit as she suspects strongly one reason why that might be. A reason named David.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Marion

"Shooting? I hope not, I have an agreement with management that I am not carrying any firearm if I can help it." She said stubbornly, looking at everyone else, "I'd rather not carry a weapon is all, if I do, I intend for it to be non lethal." She says tapping her fingers on the table awkwardly. "Oh hi, Aaron, nice to meet you."

Folding her hands together she smiles at the others, "I don't think we will run into many problems this far out." She says a bit ominously.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Marion

"Sounds like a good as reason for anything, Dre. Sometimes you just got to get away." Marion said, and turned to Cheryl, but the woman's antsy and anxious demeanor told her to not press the issue. "I think that everyone really needs to escape once in a while, even if just for a time." She says thoughtfully.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Marion

"Maybe, Jacob, you aren't the one that is escaping." She said with a twinkle in her eye. She digs into her purse for a moment and checks her phone and sees a message from Sarah, but quickly stows it away. Now was important as were meeting all these new people, Marion had decided that she wouldn't lie about anything, but at least not offer her profession. People tended to get a bit antsy around "shrinks" and she was sure that most don't differentiate or care what the difference is between a research psychologist and a "talking cure" psychologist was.

"I would hope that no one needs to shoot anything at all. It sounds like beyond a bit of hunting this is as quiet a town as you can get. I am sure though that they will make us earn our pay as much as they can." Marion said with a bit of a sigh at the thought of shooting and guns.

"Oh yes, I did hear that Aaron, I'm from the Midwest too, but my mother was very strict and proper. 'I will not have my child speak improperly,' and all that." Marion imitates a posh voice for a moment.

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jun 28, 2014

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Marion

"Yeah Kelly, I'm not sure at least the one I talked too didn't say at all, at least I didn't ask. I kinda had other issues on my mind for that phone call. Thank you for the tea." Marion said to Kelly, sipping at it with a bit of warm pleasure. She hadn't skimmed the menu really, but she kinda figured the greasy spoon wouldn't have the best salads and little to no chance of finding tofu. A few minutes later she was starting to get a bit hungry so she added on before Kelly left, "Kelly, might I have a chef salad without cheese, egg or ham, oil and vinegar on the side, and a fruit plate please?"

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Marion

"Me, too, but really no need for guns at all when you think about it. If things are getting that bad, we will most likely be locked down waiting for help." Marion shrugs and sips her tea, "I don't know if they would be as cruel to not to give us a light load, I've been driving for quite a few hours." She rubbed her eyes and drank from her tea slowly.

"I am hoping more for some orientation and to move everything into the place and taking a long long shower." Giving her neck a little crack and stretching a bit in her seat. Opening her purse she chows down on some trail mix (proudly exclaiming it was organic) before returning to nursing her tea.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Marion

She grumbles for a moment and then sips at her tea, "If we do, I'll need a lot more tea." The prospect of going for eight more hours of idleness after six hours of driving wasn't going to make her night for sure, but her eye raises a moment at Jacob and considered for a moment. "You seem kinda of anxious to start yourself, Jacob. Like to strike when the iron is hot?" She asks offhandedly before putting down her tea cup now empty.

Leaning back in her seat, she looked out the window and thought out loud, "I grew up in a small town like this, brings back memories. I always wondered growing up how they managed to survive, when it seems like time has past them by." Stopping her aside, she looks down at the time and digs into her purse for a small pill bottle, and takes out a few pills. Swallowing them quickly, she stows the vitamin bottle back in her purse that seemed designed to travel at the moment.

"Sorry about that, feels like going back in time every moment I am in this town. Lots of deja vu."

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jul 1, 2014

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Marion

"I grew up in a small town in Ohio personally. My dad was the town doctor, my mother one of the towns teachers. I guess that makes me a little bit of a storybook only without the tornado." She gave a ragged grin and thought of the last time she called them. "There is a lot more forest here, did you all see that on the way up? I was hiking last summer on the Appalachian Trail, not too far but far enough. I wonder if they have any trails through the woods."

Looking down at her now empty tea cup, she takes the water next to it and sips slowly, before look over the others for a moment. Breaking her pause with another thought, "Or there might be a lot of trails, but all of them from the local hunter routes." The aspect of going down a hunting trail wasn't very appealing, though she wasn't sure if it was hunting season or not.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Marion

"From my experience, they most likely won't tell us much on that front. Employment confidentiality and all that, at least if there was an accident at work, or some employee went postal or something." Marion expected the latter, and she had a sad conclusion already. David had disappeared within a very convenient window for the job posting to appear, so unless there was a new facility or they had promoted survivors, there had to be some incident.

The logical conclusion was that David had snapped and caused something bad to happen, at least going by Sarah's description of his state of mind. Marion had another feeling deep in her gut that wasn't as rational, but it was a half memory, another deja vu induced feeling that didn't mean anything. Looking down at her smart phone for a glance at the time, she also noticed another notification on her phone and her expression softened.

"I hope they have like a few stores around at least, going to send a gift to someone and they don't like amazon boxes or anything like that." Drinking her water slowly, she adds carefully, "It might be nice to get away from the city for a while that is true, I wonder when the limit for applying for a higher position comes along though. I guess I am too use to the creature comforts, not like all of you military guys." She gives a smile to Jack and Jacob on that last one.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Marion

She blinked for a moment, as Andre entered the conversation suddenly and unexpectedly. It hadn't be a question she had expected and for the most part she was curious herself what gave her that impression. In her head she had been thinking of Bob, but Bob was a hospital orderly. That seemed rather messy, to explain a coma, and even more so the similarities, and the experience of dying. That would also open up uncomfortable questions about her friend she was talking about.

"Yes, I've worked with a few big corporations for a few years." She said honestly, granted it was part of her research and the corporations allowed her to do it to assess group structures in high stress environment. "One of the thing that I found the most consistent is that there is the company story, and then the real story. Finding the other is the hard part, and takes a lot of effort on purpose. They also always make it a loyalty issue too, which makes the real story even harder to get." Marion says taking a more academic tone for a moment looking at her water not trying to correct it.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Marion

"A pleasure to meet you Ms. Południca, I only have one question. Did they inform you of my request when I was hired?" Marion said meaning that she would not wear or use a gun unless she requested otherwise, or at at least non lethal options. "I don't mean to be a bother, but I feel rather strongly about it." She says taking another sip of her water and then giving a nod. Marion was ready to begin, orientation sounded much better than a first night of work.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Marion

"Oh thank you so much, also as an aside because it will be on the forms. It is going to be Dr. Tipplepot. I am not a stickler for honorifics, but it will be on all these forms and I figured it might cause you a headache later." She said trying to be helpful. Marion didn't care for the titles nor all the prestige since hers wasn't a medical one and it seemed odd to have it in the first place, but it was that nagging need to correct that got the better of her.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Marion

"That is certainly a way to look at it." She says in a cold tone toward Mara, shuffling her papers with a fake smile on her face, she looks over the documents carefully, reading it. She seemed to be rather intent on doing so, more so than Marion would care to admit. She remembered a good friend telling her that she should have read the contract. Marion was use to reading documents and researching, but not the bureaucratic legalese that she was presented with.

Though she wasn't sure what she was looking for, she seemed to be searching for something in the documents. Memories swirled and Marion was not one to forget, what bugged her is that she seemed to half remember. She didn't have a photographic memory, but it was rather good. This was like a false memory, a dream that was just out of reach. She could remember remembering it, but not exactly what it was.

Rubbing her forehead, she furrowed her brow and studied the documents trying to break their secret.

Using the default of Administration (now that I think about it, she should have Administration(academic) but alas, hindsight) 13-5 = 8 to roll

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Marion

"If I was a psychiatrist, Mara would call me a doctor. No, a Psychologist. Yes, though it has only been a year and more since I graduated, so not a huge deal." She gives a wary smile, realizing that her defensive nature had pretty unraveled all of that intent on good will. Oh well, they would have found out eventually, and at least now she was being upfront about it. Jack's defensive nature toward her was curious, but she wasn't surprised by the hostility. Some people had a perceptions of mental health professionals, and she wasn't going to sway him by words at least.

"More to the point," She says to Jack slowly, "I asked the company specifically if I could not carry a gun. They felt at least on some level, the rest of my qualifications were strong enough to be hired. I am not here to be a watchdog, or be intrusive." Marion gives a small smile toward Jack and brushes a hair back that managed to free itself from her hair style. She might have added that she hadn't been asked to be a watchdog, yet, but then again they had just started orientation.

Marion was doubtful that Jack would feel as hostile of her real reasons to be here, but she was unsure, after all, she was going after someone possibly mentally ill.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Marion

"Makes me almost wish I had, those skills would have come in rather usefully right about-" She signs the last document, "Now." A pleasant smile on her face as she turned the signed forms over. Not able to find what she was looking for, but that was life. She couldn't hold them up because her legalese wasn't one hundred percent. Finally signing over her life seemed like a silent echo across her mind, a hollowness for a brief moment. It didn't make much sense to her, but she ignored it and focused on underhanded aggression with Mara.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Marion

Looking around at the others she then looks at Mara with a competitive glare hidden by false pleasantry. "Nothing from me. Ready to get the tour and the t-shirt." Marion says, resisting the urge to tap her finger on the table.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Marion

"Thank you, that is all crystal clear. I am glad your policy is so strict personally." Marion says with a very big smile, that made her feel much more secure in being surrounded by weapons. This was all crazy, this was a massive risk, but now that she was inside, she might be able to find out about her missing friend. David had had a hard time of things the last few years with no help from her. Marion starts getting up and sorting her things, looking at the others.

"I am ready to go personally."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Marion

She nods and picks up the keys to Mara with a bit of a fake smile, "Oh a map would be perfect, do you know if there is a local community center, or perhaps an events website or something. If we are staying here might as well see what there is to do." Marion said looked at the keys and looking across the street to her new green VW. Looking back at Mara, she gives a hesitant question, "Do you know a few good local sites to go?"

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Marion

"You know, since everyone is going to move in and we have the night off really, we should all have a BBQ with everyone at the apartments. Mara, of course, you should be invited too. I don't know if that is against policy, but I understand if it is." Marion says looking at the remaining hanger ons, as Jack appears to be walking out of the door. "How does that sound to everyone?"

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Marion

"Well, We should do it after everyone settles in a bit, and don't worry, I'm a pretty good cook. I'll throw some chicken and steak on the grill and we can bring whatever you want to drink. I know I have some nice wine at least to relax. I will have some grilled veggie kabobs for us leaf eaters. So everyone will have something!" Marion's smile is much more genuine now, "I only have a few things to move in really, so I might be able to get it started while everyone is putting stuff away."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Marion

"Then that sounds like a plan! I'll set up the BBQ and stop by the store for meats. Everyone can take there time, it most likely won't be ready for a few hours at least." Marion got up and smiled at Mara, "Of course you are welcome as well, feel free to drop by!" Now Marion walked excitedly out of the door, almost skipping on her heels. She liked these events and to be honest it made her feel better to have something so normal.

Her heels clicked across the street and she got into her car in front of the nondescript business. She drove looking for the grocery store and stopping to buy a few steaks, she didn't have much need for them herself, but she knew how to cook. In her head her mind raced, "This was going to be great, and maybe they could make it a weekly thing, and then after that we can maybe start a bookclub or something. Hiking, and the like would be nice too. That will really take the edge off searching for David." A last sigh as she drove toward the apartments, her car now filled with fresh food.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Marion

Turning back before she leaves, she says, "Oh I meant for it in a few hours at least. Since most people need to move in a bit. I don't think anyone wants to eat right away anyway. I am going to just get some food if anyone is going to be. Also we have to start getting on the night shift. Better start tonight." She smiled with a warm glow, before looking around one last time before walking out.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Marion - Front of the Apartments, near grill.

Walking down the grocery isles, Marion hummed to herself sweetly, this was going to be fun for her. Her cart full, she moved down the aisle to the check out, swiftly being friendly and open to the new grocers even going so far as to learn their name and when tofu comes in. Now, loaded with meats and veggies she went to her new apartment. Normally the uneasy feeling that she had done this before would have overwhelmed her, but Marion at this moment had a mission.

Opening the door, she rolled in her few suitcases, one with clothing, another with electronics and research help. The last boxes of food and other essentials. Marion had loved in dorms and moved quite a bit during her tenure at the university and she had a system. The system was extremely effective now as she at least put what was necessary in the right place, or nearby to be put up later that evening. In-between bouts of putting away things, she did some chores for her makeshift party.

As she wheeled out the grill and arranged the picnic tables together in front of the apartments, she wondered if it would be a success or not. It was hard to tell, but she hoped it would be a team building moment. Also if they worked together now, they would get along easier on the job, and best of all each of them would be able to do things together.

Marion's dastardly plan on getting a few together for a book club wasn't excluded either. As she went up to her apartment and crossed a few mostly unpacked boxes and suitcases, she decided that it would be at worst, a chance to sit outside and drink wine. She moved quickly and effectively until almost everything, but at least everything essential in her eyes was put up.

Finally done on the inside, she brought down the food and started heating the grill. Sitting on a picnic table leg, she had a open bottle of wine and a few glasses out. Sipping and enjoying the summer evening air was enough while the coals started to warm.

Marion is going to be outside starting to get everything ready, so if anyone wants to do anything or ask anything of her that is will she will be until the party is ready in what I imagine will be a few hours. :)

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Marion

Looking up from her book, Marion gives a bright smile. "It must be instinctive this town, I feel like I know what is here, without looking." She says peering over her Ireland’s Pre-Celtic Archaeological and Anthropological Heritage book and mentally places the red as a moderate vintage of wine, a very welcome addition to the drinks that evening. "I suggest you try some of this white, it is really good. I wasn't expecting much from it, but it is a really good Riesling."

Marion gave a quiet smile as he reminisced about his daughters with a warm smile, "It is hard to be away isn't it? I can understand that." She says genuinely. "And you better watch it, you might make your wife, jealous." Marion adds devilishly.

Clinking back against with her wine glass, she nods to his cider, "Cheers! To go back to the original topic, I think that most aren't going to be coming for a bit, the grill isn't really ready yet anyway, so it is all good. I imagine that most of it the reason is to stay up late and get eased into the schedule." She says with a bit of a giggle on the end of it. Alcohol had a way of easing in a lot of things in Marion's opinion, but now, a little relaxation would do her well.

"So where in Britain are you from?" She asks the seemingly benign question to Jacob.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Marion

"I love white wine, very crisp and fruity. I'll happily drink it all." She said as she lifted the grill cover and put on the steaks and some chicken for a first round, extracting her warmer she covered it with tinfoil and covered it with a cloth. Cracking open a container of potato salad, she reveals the most horrifying thing: There was no mustard potato salad. The mayo potato salad seemed to stare back at the sky in defiance of nature.

"I'm glad you and Sarah get some time together at least. It is better she isn't stuck here, believe me, I grew up in a small town like this, not fun." She said, putting ice on everything that needed to be iced and helped Jacob's wine into one of the buckets of ice. "I imagine that we will have a few Humvees to race around, who knows, it might just go straight down." She said distractedly, not realizing what she was saying.

"I never lived near the ocean, but when I was in Ireland, I understand exactly what you mean. It was great. I was never near Worthing, it sounds like a neat town at the least." She gave a quick smile and then a nod to Andre that appeared with water.

"Evening and yes, they are just lovely aren't they? I do wish I knew more about astronomy, but I really don't. Well, unless, I guess you count historical astrology." She gave a brief laugh and let them talk about soccer.

Taking another sip of white, she pours another, and begins to lean back on the picnic table looking at the grill, and resisting the urge to turn the meat and chicken before it is time.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Marion

She gave a smile to Jacob, "I can't eat it at all, but I do have a excellent vegan version of potato salad I didn't have time to make. Feel free to help yourself." Marion said crunching a carrot and looking up at the stars.

"-Oops! Time to turn." She says turning the seasoned meat and tufo kabobs.

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jul 13, 2014

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Marion

"Evening, we were just enjoying the evening with some refreshments. Chicken and beef are still cooking, but I imagine that we all are more interested in drink." A little twinkle in her eye gives off a much more mischievous tone than her voice in the matter.

"I believe that Jacob and Andre were having a nice soccer chat while I was cooking." The glass of wine was low again for some reason as she peeked at the grill. Marion filled her glass again with chilled Riesling and gave a nod to the beer now offered. "I'll have to try one in a bit."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Marion

Sipping the wine with one hand and just peaking at the items inside the grill, she seemed rather relaxed and content to listen to the others talk about sports. Though she had never been a fan of soccer, it had been all about volley ball and track, but she had enjoyed doing them rather than watching them. Just a personal preference that she rather not interrupt the current conversation to reveal, and after all she was enjoying the quiet evening.

Taking another carrot in hand, she chews quietly as she ponders, waiting for a break in the conversation, "I could get use to the peace and quiet. Really good on my nerves."

Marion is using that 5 cp to increase her will to 15!

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Marion

"Feel free, Jacob. I did most of the hard part, now is the boring part of just watching it cook." She says smiling putting her spatula on the Grill, and adjusting so that he as the clear line to the Grill. "It is almost done, I mean if you are feeling up to it, I mean, unless you want more potato salad." Marion says teasingly.

Little did she know, that the potato salad was doing its dastardly charms of filling up Jacob before the meal, and possibly, maybe even, causing the others to tempted to eating some in the evening light. Marion however, focused on her plate of carrots and celery, stolen by the various plates that were scattered around the picnic table.

"Is everyone here thinking of going for a permanent position with Basorus, or is this a road stop? I know, I am going to see what they offer after they 'vet' me." She says pleasantly.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Marion

"Hi Steve! Oh and there you are Jack! We are down here!" She says to both of the new comers waving to Jack from the front of the apartments, having been rummaging in the food to present it for everyone. Now beyond the potato salad that speaks of the depths of madness and possibly adjusting waist line. Now on the table were various side dishes that Marion had purchased at the store, ranging from the veggies that she had out, to potato chips and dip. Feeling accomplished she turns her attention back to the others.

"Don't worry, Kurt, I tried to buy everything we would need." There is a smile and a nod to him.

Marion realized that she had been talked too, "Oh, Sorry! I got distracted by laying everything out. Jacob, those kabobs are all tofu, you don't have to really grill it, you really are grilling the veggies. Those can come out whenever!" She swoops in with a large serving dish and puts it on the grill side.

"Kurt, I think mostly we have a few complaints about Americanized sports, and a bit of a side conversation about if we were thinking of keeping this job or moving on." She says piling up plates, forks, spoons and bowls. Actual metal knifes on paper cloths topped off the place setting.

"I don't suppose there is anything to do in this town." Marion sighs, "I might have to get Netflix again, hey maybe even weekly movie night!" She says with a bit of a smile.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Marion

Jack was as always very direct and crass, but Marion was not effected by it, nor did her smile wane as she leaned back. "I came up with this in the diner. Thought it would be nice to meet everyone and maybe drink and eat a little too much. Otherwise, just be in my room being bored. If anyone has any fun ideas, I'm more than welcome to help it out." She said genuinely.

"I'm here to help a dear friend, and who knows they might have a place for me after I earn my dues." Marion says quietly, She got the distinct impression that he thought that she was here for them and it was good it came out now and not on the job. "Other than that, I am just same as you. Mara didn't seem to like me much, I don't know anything more than you do." Awake at least, she considered with a bit of a private joke.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Marion

Taking a plate full of tufo kebab and other veggies, Marion found it complemented her full wine glass perfectly. Taking a large drink from the wine she is about to bite into the tofu when Jacob's question too her by surprise.

She holds up her hand and extends her finger before chewing and swallowing. "Thank you, I am glad it tasted good! As for my dear friend, I can't say much without breaking his confidence, but I fear he had a mental health emergency. I haven't seen him yet, but it is best ease into these situations if you understand. This job happens to be a bit of a blessing, nearby and, well the sort that caused his distress." She said carefully and tastefully before biting into another helping.

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jul 15, 2014

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Marion

"Yes, high stress for someone who has anxiety issues and other things. Now I wouldn't say that is his issue, but you would be surprised at what it would do to someone with preexisting conditions. Most people find a way to cope with it, but I am afraid that he could not." She says signing as she dug into the tofu and takes another deep drink of her wine. "Thank you though, I really appreciate it." Marion takes a moment and watches over the others noting Cheryl.

Cheryl seemed to want to keep to herself, through out this situation and so Marion let her be once again. "You don't need to hear me ramble on about myself though, I hope everyone is enjoying themselves."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Marion

"I'm envious, I was an only child, only had imaginary friends growing up. A whole fairy kingdom if you can believe that, never was into unicorns, but fairies I was into massively." She laughed, happy to have a good memory to relate with.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Marion

"Aww, thank you very much. I really do care, family and friends are all you have really. It would seem wrong to leave them stranded. I do so wish I had a big family growing up, but that is life." She laughs heartily and takes another drink of wine more concerned with conversation than food at the moment.

"Andre, I like your style, sometimes it is the simple life is all you need." She says slowly drinking and imagining herself on the beach relaxing as the waves rolled in. That would be peace and quiet in spades.

"Yeah, I would say there is a lot of pressure being the only child, but that is part of growing up in general really. You have to grow beyond what your parents want you to be, and become what you want you to be." Cheryl opening up gave Marion a wide smile and a quite innocent thought that the night was perfect.

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jul 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Marion

"You aren't being nosy, don't think that." She dismissively waves her hand and takes another sip of wine. "Just a long story, basically, without going into much personal detail. Well, him and I dated for a year." She settles back against the table looking toward Jacob and the others, with her browse furrowed with sadness. Her eyes started looking down and staring at the ground as she started recounting what happened.

"Near the end of the year, I went to Ireland to do a study on the progression of myth throughout a small community. At the end of it, I took a trip to a small castle by the ocean. It was really breath taking. Either way, a groundskeeper found me outside my car, unconscious and non responsive. The school paid for me go back to the states and I spent a few weeks in a coma." Marion said crossing her legs, tossing her hair.

"After the coma, he seemed to change. He started something was after him constantly, pulling pranks on him. Eventually, he seemed to say it was protecting, or at least surrounding me. So we said our goodbyes and I left it at that. He was a function successful analyst. " She said tactfully. "After we broke up he got worse and worse things seemed to happen to him. Eventually, he fell into a deep depression and anxiety about people out to get him."

Tapping the glass, Marion seemed to be marking time as she came down to present day. "Either way, as far as I know he left this job and had a complete break down. He had everything looking up until just a few weeks ago. Had a fiance, a new decent job and had things finally looking up after two years of struggles. So, here I am. Hopefully, I can convince him to seek help, or at least go back to his fiance. This is the reason I never became a therapist. Better to be in research finding different methodology and more larger scale actions to help out a lot more people at once. One of the reason why I think they might have chosen me despite my regards with guns." Smiling she raised her glass to the others and downed the rest in one go.

Marion felt like such an idiot secretly as she admitted the reason she was here.

• Locked thread