Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

There's going to be another stream in about 20 minutes (2pm Eastern), judging by what just popped up on my Twitch alerts. It will probably be uninformative and pointless like the last one, but you never know.

http://www.twitch.tv/40kcrusade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I can't view twitch at work so if someone wanted to post highlights, that would be great.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Hal_2005 posted:

They have 2 maps, the only one which is stable enough to have more than 7 Players on it is the box canyon as of November. They recently did a total engine overhaul which pushed the open-Alpha back to March/April 2015, and the open beta to sometime in 2016. Assuming they don't run out of cash sometime in 2015. Which is likely given how high the burnrate is on this game.Their existing server-side suffers from calculation overflow, much like early EvE (around Red Moon Rising) which, given that every shot is fully mapped and calculated on the server, leads to massive bloat then 500+ calls are made for each bullet to hit a hitbox.

Nothing I said should be shocking, but at this stage unless you have 200 bux to burn in your pocket, this game reeks of another PGI. On that note, I was bang on about PGI and Chris Roberts by the way, so I'm going to go 3 for 3 that this game will be a blackhole by 2017.

drat. I actually liked the multiplayer in Space Marine, so a Planetside 2 sized version of that would be great. No way I'm buying any sort of pre-order pack though, I learned my lesson with :pgi:.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

Zaodai posted:

There's going to be another stream in about 20 minutes (2pm Eastern), judging by what just popped up on my Twitch alerts. It will probably be uninformative and pointless like the last one, but you never know.

http://www.twitch.tv/40kcrusade

Anyone know what it was about?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I was (and still am) at work, so I haven't had a chance to investigate it. I hope it had some gameplay or design updates or something, but based off the last one it was probably just them interviewing themselves in front of a camera.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

robziel posted:

Anyone know what it was about?

I checked in during when it was supposed to be streaming and there was nothing but dead air.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

There's no VOD on their channel for it either, so either they didn't highlight it or they realized "oh poo poo, we've got nothing to stream!" and just pretended it never happened.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

Zaodai posted:

There's no VOD on their channel for it either, so either they didn't highlight it or they realized "oh poo poo, we've got nothing to stream!" and just pretended it never happened.

It's there. It's under their past broadcasts dated Feb 27.

First 30 minutes is dead air countdown on the screen and they they talk about eldar and my brain just trails off. Also couldnt hold my attention because their mic was hosed up and it was hard to concentrate listening when you hear that interference.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The one nice thing about twitch's otherwise awful VoDs is that you can get timestamped URLs.

Click for EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE http://www.twitch.tv/40kcrusade/b/630422197?t=49m28s

Sindai fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Mar 2, 2015

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

Hal_2005 posted:

You sound (note, sound, not are) a smart goon. So look at my post history, and then use that clever aspie brain of yours to figure out how I know, what I know. It involves something whimsical called a Term Sheet and a kinko's NDA. Go google that, as you may learn alot more than posting snarky follow ups' to this post. Which I won't respond to anymore.

They have 2 maps, the only one which is stable enough to have more than 7 Players on it is the box canyon as of November. They recently did a total engine overhaul which pushed the open-Alpha back to March/April 2015, and the open beta to sometime in 2016. Assuming they don't run out of cash sometime in 2015. Which is likely given how high the burnrate is on this game.Their existing server-side suffers from calculation overflow, much like early EvE (around Red Moon Rising) which, given that every shot is fully mapped and calculated on the server, leads to massive bloat then 500+ calls are made for each bullet to hit a hitbox.

Nothing I said should be shocking, but at this stage unless you have 200 bux to burn in your pocket, this game reeks of another PGI. On that note, I was bang on about PGI and Chris Roberts by the way, so I'm going to go 3 for 3 that this game will be a blackhole by 2017.

But I know what you say to be true. :cry:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

CheeseSpawn posted:

It's there. It's under their past broadcasts dated Feb 27.

First 30 minutes is dead air countdown on the screen and they they talk about eldar and my brain just trails off. Also couldnt hold my attention because their mic was hosed up and it was hard to concentrate listening when you hear that interference.

It wasn't there when I went looking for it at the time of my post. It is indeed there now.

But yeah, doesn't sound like it inspires the greatest of confidence.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

So, they've fleshed out their Early Access plan by killing it entirely.
The old module based founders program is going to instead be that you get into the closed beta based on the package you bought.
The beta will be Dark Angels vs Word Bearers, with their 4 classes and 3 vehicles on a single "32+" player map.

To some extent, it sort of makes sense that they do it that way, as it lets them focus on some core gameplay rather than a non-sensical tech demo type module progression.
On the other hand, the feature backdown begins!

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I cant believe this is still alive

The emperor protects

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Waroduce posted:

The emperor protects

It won't die until a lot closer to launch.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
So I've vaguely followed this since it was announced and i have one question. Is this still an mmo? With the talk of maps, it seems like it's an fps now.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Elblanco posted:

So I've vaguely followed this since it was announced and i have one question. Is this still an mmo? With the talk of maps, it seems like it's an fps now.

Well how much money do you have.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Waroduce posted:

The emperor protects

This game will have people 'invest' thousands of dollars to play planetside 2 meme edition.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
pro tip

download some custom skins for planetside and replace text files to mention the emperor

congrats on ur ham game

alternativly reskin xcom

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Waroduce posted:

alternativly reskin xcom

Do you know of a Warhams XCOM reskin?

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Skoll posted:

Do you know of a Warhams XCOM reskin?

I would play this forever.

Recent events should exemplify why you should never, ever back a game before you can play it.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

Paineopticon posted:

Recent events should exemplify why you should never, ever back a game before you can play it.

Heretic!

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Naw but ones gotta exist

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
Just get some of those cling decals and move them around on your monitor. Also you can cover up any immersion-breaking environmental stuff with skulls. Mailbox-sized skulls, car-sized skulls, UFO-sized skulls. Find one of those YouTube videos of DoW audio, XCOM volume down, YouTube up. Sorted.

e: don't use the decals that come with the minis. The water runs down the monitor which makes it tough to position then correctly.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
W40k XCom is called Warhammer 40000: Chaos Gate

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

At least Dark Millenium woulda been a feasible WoW clone. This... why do Games Workshop keep giving their license to people who literally don't know how to make the game?
"We need an MMO! Lets give it to these guys who have never made one before and seem to have no idea about the most basic concerns of server-side games."

Its going to be exciting to see whether in the next 2 years they release a budget version of Space Marine's multiplayer or it just implodes and never comes out.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

nopantsjack posted:

...budget version of Space Marine's multiplayer...

I used to be a QA tester for AAA games at a mid-size studio in Austin, and even got to test a fair amount of Behavior Interactive's stuff. The above quoted is a best case scenario.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

nopantsjack posted:

At least Dark Millenium woulda been a feasible WoW clone.

Dark Millennium looked so good. It makes me sad to think back on it.

A budget version of Space Marine would be at least fun, assuming it doesn't have Space Marine's asstastic netcode. That said, the realist in me knows that the netcode is going to be the hardest part, and the entire thing is going to be a hilarious clusterfuck.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Why is netcode still such an issue? Some have figured it out, there must be some off the shelf not poo poo solution available so why do people keep trying to roll their own and gently caress it up? Also GW keep giving licenses to lovely games companies because they can negotiate bigger cuts of the profits from them. They have a history of loving up who they deal with in relation to vidya games e.g. blizzard and warcraft.

Orv
May 4, 2011
This game is gonna be so good.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

Another raging success in a long line of successful wh40k games.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
:rip:

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Blood for the blood god

Skulls for the throne

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Developers leaving the project are the second step on the road to disappointment.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

An open developer position is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded

Orabilis
May 6, 2014
Would it be accurate to say that Eternal Crusade is going to be a mix of Space Marine's multiplayer and the Planetside games?

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Orabilis posted:

Would it be accurate to say that Eternal Crusade is going to be a mix of Space Marine's multiplayer and the Planetside games?

That's the plan. Remains to be seen what it will actually be in reality.

Infeckt
Feb 17, 2014

Wait, is this game still a thing? Last I looked it was supposed to be an open world mmo with quests and poo poo.

Infeckt fucked around with this message at 15:24 on May 16, 2015

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Its fuckin dead imo

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

It's definitely not looking good. Lol @ people who spent money before anything was even fuckin made

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Have any more lead devs left?

• Locked thread