Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

X_Toad posted:

Are you speaking of Bumi's "plan"?
What? No, I'm talking about the episode that's airing right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Hasn't Asami been more useful in combat than Sokka ever was? Hell, Sokka started as a joke and the progression of his usefulness amounted to "we're going to say he's not a joke, but he still is."

until Asami takes down Combustion Girl with a boomerang, she's got nothing on Sokka's tactical genius :colbert:

incidentally I felt a lot better at the end of Season 2 of Korra than I did at the end of Season 1, so I am optimistic that Season 3 will improve again and I can safely say that Korra is a worthy successor of TLA. Now I just need to convince my friends of this because I'm the only one who actually watched Season 2

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

What? No, I'm talking about the episode that's airing right now.
Ah sorry, I can't watch it live and with the time difference I never really know when it's airing.

On a side-note : blasted iTunes has taken all of Korra off its service now, where am I supposed to get Book 3 in a legal (well, kinda...) way now?

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.
So Korra/Asami is canon now?

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Hasn't Asami been more useful in combat than Sokka ever was? Hell, Sokka started as a joke and the progression of his usefulness amounted to "we're going to say he's not a joke, but he still is."

Asami peaked at not quite a chi bender(so she's useless if ever in a argument with the protagonists)/ master of the zap glove, which was beat by a trio of 5 year olds.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Or I was just pointing out that both stories have their good and bad parts and maybe Korra isn't as terrible and Avatar isn't as perfect as people like to say?

I can get behind TLA not being as good as people say, but Korra is most definitely not a good show on the whole. It's entertaining, but the writing is a trainwreck, and outside of the two Avatar Wan episodes it didn't really improve at all in season 2. I like the show but let's not kid ourselves about the writing

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
holy poo poo it's the goonbender

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Ahahahahaha this airbender.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Ha, they animated Debate and Discussion.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
I like that it was Bolin that finally suggested the plan that actually worked, ditching the "rebuild our culture!" in favor of "learn to control your new powers!"

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
These new villains look promising; I'm pretty optimistic at this point.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

YOU CAN loving FLY NOW@ GO TO THE G-DDAMN AIR TEMPLE ALREADY

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

FourLeaf posted:

These new villains look promising; I'm pretty optimistic at this point.

Yeah, I'm really digging this group. Especially with all the elements being represented.

Also is it just me, or is the Earthbender Lavabending?

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Did they think we didn't like Dante's voice enough?

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

dj_clawson posted:

Did they think we didn't like Dante's voice enough?

They probably thought he didn't sound "old" enough.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
oh hello Beast Boy

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I can deal with coincidence as long as it allows for good character development, which I guess this does well.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords
Villains are looking good. And am I the only one who loved the use of Maria Bamford's voicing talent to good use?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Aww gently caress, I completely forgot to DVR this. :doh:

Any chance they'll re-run these episodes during the weekend or am I SOL for now?

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
AWESOME ending hook. This season could be so good!

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

DizzyBum posted:

Aww gently caress, I completely forgot to DVR this. :doh:

Any chance they'll re-run these episodes during the weekend or am I SOL for now?
If you're in America you'll be able to watch it on Nick's website tomorrow.

Also, holy gently caress, Elevator Zuko, Mako giving up the scarf, the Dai Li being back, actually going to make a deal out of economic inequality, and god drat this show is back, y'all!

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords
Very promising so far... Back to basics, with a fast pace.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Also, holy gently caress, Elevator Zuko, Mako giving up the scarf, the Dai Li being back, actually going to make a deal out of economic inequality, and god drat this show is back, y'all!

God drat it's like you want to be disappointed. I mean it looks really nice so far, but so did the very first season and look what happened there.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Ahahaha, Ba Sing Sei is still a hellhole and the Dai Li are still being wielded like a club by its ruler.

But hey, at least we can look forward to the inevitable moment when the Earth Queen gets ground into the dirt.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords
I also liked the Mad Max vibe added to the old Western esthetics.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
It really does benefit from binge watching. You know if it had aired once a week there would be much complaining about how annoying Kai is or how boring the first episode was. But when you watch multiple episodes at once it's easier to see how all those things fit together into the overarching plot. This season I'll try to watch 2-3 episodes at a time instead of following from week to week.

FourLeaf fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jun 28, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Serella posted:

Ahahaha, Ba Sing Sei is still a hellhole and the Dai Li are still being wielded like a club by its ruler.

But hey, at least we can look forward to the inevitable moment when the Earth Queen gets ground into the dirt.

The Earth Queen reminded me a lot of Cixi which means she's probably paranoid as all hell.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Yeah, at the very least the first half of the book's really freaking good.

Evil Fantastic Four are great.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet
Just finished episode 1

1. Tenzin's speech was directed as much at us as it was at Korra.

2. They've gone out and officially told Republic City and the masses to gently caress themselves.

I can respect the writing team's lack of shits given.

Oh wait, this is a plot point. Faith begrudgingly restored.

Episode 2:

1. Doubling down on the flawed characters is pretty entertaining.

2. Those volcano guards are dead.

3. What is that otaku doing in the basement?

4. I knew they were keeping Asami around for the perks

5. Preteen romance is acceptable.

6. Bread and circuses

7. Not to impressed by Zuko's voice.

Sithsaber fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jun 28, 2014

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
So Ba Sing Se is now Pyongyang? I can get behind that.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Wow, it is incredible -- and a little bit sad how small the response this thread has gotten. I was kind of hoping that a bunch of people who were lurking earlier would come and post a bunch once the show aired. I remember in the first thread there'd be like three to five pages of live-posting and a ton of different responses from a lot of people afterwards. Now it seems it's dwindled to, like, maybe five people. :smith:

I don't have cable, so I'll be seeing the episodes tomorrow!

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

Wow, it is incredible -- and a little bit sad how small the response this thread has gotten. I was kind of hoping that a bunch of people who were lurking earlier would come and post a bunch once the show aired. I remember in the first thread there'd be like three to five pages of live-posting and a ton of different responses from a lot of people afterwards. Now it seems it's dwindled to, like, maybe five people. :smith:

I don't have cable, so I'll be seeing the episodes tomorrow!

After the wet fart that was the season 1 finale, and the equally bad season 2 finale, most people have decided to just wait for the season to finish and binge it to minimize the inevitable disappointment.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

kefkafloyd posted:

So Ba Sing Se is now Pyongyang? I can get behind that.

Pyongyang was an inspiration in AtLA, so it makes sense to stick with it.

Sly Deaths Head
Nov 5, 2009
I really enjoyed that premiere a lot more then the season two Korra premiere. At least they established the villains and the main thrust of the story pretty quick. I appreciate a slow introduction and plot build up but it doesn't work in a series where the seasons are stand alone stories and are only 13 episodes long. I do find it funny how irrelevant Lin Beifong has become though.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
The new villains look pretty awesome and as though they've got interesting back-stories. I look forward to being disappointed by all of them. :getin:

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet
They actually went with the feudal hellhole angle, which was inevitable when you realize capitalism hasn't ascended yet. (And was smacked down in the form of Varick) We also got another deus ex, but at least it led into the political age gap that has existed in places like Thailand and Cambodia. Unfortunately the rebels are shaping up to be khmer rouge crazies.

Ps. I'm pretty sure Jinora will be used to find this kid or at least purposely get kidnapped to avoid a ATLA season 2 rehash. I'm off to take advantage of my Spanish skills if you know what I mean.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

pentyne posted:

After the wet fart that was the season 1 finale, and the equally bad season 2 finale, most people have decided to just wait for the season to finish and binge it to minimize the inevitable disappointment.

Or maybe the fact that it was only announced a week before it debuted kept a lot of people from noticing.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I was at a Pirates game tonight, how did the premier go?

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

achillesforever6 posted:

I was at a Pirates game tonight, how did the premier go?

The general consensus is surprisingly, refreshingly good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Was... was that evil waterbending chick a double arm amputee? :stare:

• Locked thread