Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/i-played-with-fire-in-platinum-game-s-the-legend-of-korra/1100-6420711/

I am so loving hype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Wildeyes posted:

It's hard for me to believe the creators suddenly forgot how to write good characters. I kind of want to blame the fact that they were going for a darker story with a slightly older cast, but I think a lot of it is -- as others have said -- the seasons are so short that they don't have enough time to draw out characters.

I think it's more due to the fact that the creators had other writers involved for Avatar who knew how to write good characters...

Compare the first few writing credits (of many) for Avatar:

With the entirety of the writing credits for Korra:

Aaron Ehasz was head writer for Avatar, whereas I don't think they have any head writer for Korra.

v v v Pretty much.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jun 27, 2014

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

thexerox123 posted:

I think it's more due to the fact that the creators had other writers involved for Avatar who knew how to write good characters...

Aaron Ehasz was head writer for Avatar, whereas I don't think they have any head writer for Korra.

So, George Lucas syndrome?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Here's an article about how Platinum got around to signing on.

quote:

Being an action studio, Platinum also appreciated the thought that went into Korra's action sequences, and the way that they were inspired by real-life styles. The Legend of Korra is the sequel to Avatar: The Last Airbender, which was a similarly popular show that aired on Nickelodeon until 2008. Both are based on the idea of elemental martial arts practicioners being able to harness air, water, fire, and earth, each with their own specialty. Amusingly, the lack of a translated version meant that the translators had to go to special lengths to get Platinum a version they could watch. They ended up transcribing scripts from whole episodes and dropping them into Word documents, which the team followed as they watched.

"We had two screens, one with the show and one with the document," Kurooka says. "We were torn between wanting to watch the action and wanting to understand what was going on." Ultimately though, he says, Platinum liked what they saw enough that they decided that "the brand was worth pursuing."

I guess the takeaway here is that no one at Nickelodeon knows how to use Aegisub.

MacBook Air Gamer
May 6, 2007

Here I go, deep type flow.
Jacques Cousteau could never get this low.
That's actually kind of surprising to me, though I guess it shouldn't be since there probably aren't a wealth of Japanese people who write subtitles for American animation.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
So I thought that this was a joke thread but it turns out to be for realsies.

And I was just going to spend the night drinking heavily and watching the first season of Vikings because I miss Game of Thrones.

But now I shall spend the night drinking heavily and watching anime...

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011

Fifty Three posted:

Wait, the right half is a shot from the game, not S2 right? How do I not remember it being that awful?

That pic was floating around way before the game was announced. Not sure what ep it's from though.

thexerox123 posted:

Ah yeah, good call. Forgot all about that.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Strange Quark posted:

Here's an article about how Platinum got around to signing on.

I guess the takeaway here is that no one at Nickelodeon knows how to use Aegisub.

What surprises me is that there isn't a dub for LOK like there is for the original show!

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

thexerox123 posted:

v v v Pretty much.

I think it was either Aaron or Elizabeth that created the character of Zuko. Arguably the most compelling character of the show.

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I'm pretty sure they knew they were getting more than one season almost immediately? As I remember it, they were given two seasons originally and that was quickly expanded to four.

They were only given 12 episodes originally. They got an additional 14 later on, but by then Book 1 was already in production as a stand-alone story.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I just started watching Avatar, first time I've seen it. It's decent so far, but a lot of the humour is just so goofy and cringeworthy. The whole episode with the old crazy earthbender king was so goddamn corny. I know it's a kids show, and I do think it's been mostly alright so far (wonderfully animated, of course), but it's not quite living up to its reputation. Does it take a while for the show to find its groove?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hakkesshu posted:

I just started watching Avatar, first time I've seen it. It's decent so far, but a lot of the humour is just so goofy and cringeworthy. The whole episode with the old crazy earthbender king was so goddamn corny. I know it's a kids show, and I do think it's been mostly alright so far (wonderfully animated, of course), but it's not quite living up to its reputation. Does it take a while for the show to find its groove?

It will not feel anything more than a standard kid's show until Season 2.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

theblackw0lf posted:

I think it was either Aaron or Elizabeth that created the character of Zuko. Arguably the most compelling character of the show.

It was the setting that made that character great. That and honor.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

computer parts posted:

There were a pile of bones in episode 3. That isn't standard.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

computer parts posted:

Um... The Storm?

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Um... The Storm?

Yeah, for me that was the turning point. Season 2 is more consistent, but The Storm (ep 12 for the curious noob) was superb and everything after it was better than everything before it.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
I thought the plot started getting a bit more compelling when they got to the northern water tribe.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

Wildeyes posted:

I thought the plot started getting a bit more compelling when they got to the northern water tribe.

That's the end of season 1.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Yeah, Season 1 did get rough in spots with more than a couple needless filler episodes, but I'd say it started really picking up my interest by the time of the Blue Spirit.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The Storm, The Blue Spirit, and the finale are basically the best parts of Avatar Season 1, but it's still pretty drat good as a whole. The whole of the show is miles better than it's best parts alone.

Also where the hell did Korra Season 3 come from?!? I literally just heard about it! Season 1 had months of build up before the first episode aired, and season 2 I remember was at least a couple of weeks between trailer and premier.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Mexico.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

Trolly yet accurate. Should we make profiles for the creep twins?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

SatansBestBuddy posted:

The Storm, The Blue Spirit, and the finale are basically the best parts of Avatar Season 1, but it's still pretty drat good as a whole. The whole of the show is miles better than it's best parts alone.

Also where the hell did Korra Season 3 come from?!? I literally just heard about it! Season 1 had months of build up before the first episode aired, and season 2 I remember was at least a couple of weeks between trailer and premier.
I think Nick wants it to fail for some reason, kind of like Cartoon Network and how they gently caress over every Gendy cartoon or DCAU cartoon with dumb schedule changes.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Some episodes from season 3 leaked, so the Korra people decided to launch the series early, being as clueless about promotion and drumming up hype, as they are at writing a character ensemble.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

ufarn posted:

Some episodes from season 3 leaked, so the Korra people decided to launch the series early, being as clueless about promotion and drumming up hype, as they are at writing a character ensemble.
And you're clueless about how television actually works if you think the people who write the show have any say at all about when it gets released.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Wildeyes posted:

Is it unpopular to say that I really loving hate Bumi?
Not really. I mean, he gets lots of love from the fans overall, but the people who can't stand him are rather numerous. Some people compared him to Jar Jar Binks after all.

Wildeyes posted:

It's the same problem with Bumi -- they go way, way too far in trying to make these characters lovable idiots, to the point where they're too impossibly stupid to fit into a dramatic plot.

Sokka was a goofball, but he was quite smart, and he switched to responsible-big-brother mode often enough.
Bumi never struck me as stupid, he's just incapable of focusing. It's like he has to obfuscate whatever point he's trying to make under piles of ridiculous lies, so that no one but the most patient of people (Asami included, apparently) can see the wisdom behind all the foolishness.

Bolin is just stupid though.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

X_Toad posted:

Not really. I mean, he gets lots of love from the fans overall, but the people who can't stand him are rather numerous. Some people compared him to Jar Jar Binks after all.

Bumi never struck me as stupid, he's just incapable of focusing. It's like he has to obfuscate whatever point he's trying to make under piles of ridiculous lies, so that no one but the most patient of people (Asami included, apparently) can see the wisdom behind all the foolishness.

Bolin is just stupid though.

Bumi could have worked if they focused on his inferiority complex that he compensates with badass recklessness but now he's just another superfluous airbender, further trivializing the nonbender majority.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

X_Toad posted:

Some people compared [Bumi] to Jar Jar Binks after all.
My god! I cannot unsee it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xRN1SMUg7g

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Now that is some great Binks-ing! Be useful because of your idiocy and clumsiness! And you get to save the day!

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

X_Toad posted:

Now that is some great Binks-ing! Be useful because of your idiocy and clumsiness! And you get to save the day!

He even took out mooks without bending. Now he's just another bending novice.

Barlow
Nov 26, 2007
Write, speak, avenge, for ancient sufferings feel

X_Toad posted:

That's actually exactly what The Clone War show did with Binks. Which makes sense, because they had many of the writers of ATLA on it.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

Barlow posted:

That's actually exactly what The Clone War show did with Binks. Which makes sense, because they had many of the writers of ATLA on it.

Don't forget inexplicably getting laid every arc. At a certain point Jar Jar was almost self assured, which is obviously unacceptable.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Sithsaber posted:

He even took out mooks without bending. Now he's just another bending novice.
I'm just gonna point out the dramatic potential of Bumi living his whole life feeling like a part of his father resented that he wasn't an airbender, and now he is one.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I'm just gonna point out the dramatic potential of Bumi living his whole life feeling like a part of his father resented that he wasn't an airbender, and now he is one.

I wouldn't have pursued this subplot. Normy Bumi had to act out and struggle before accepting himself, and even then he was laughably resentful of Tenzin. This continued cheapening of non benders trivializes their role in society when they could be world builders and avenues for exploring things like the military or industrial super dickery (a la Varis) At this point the only non bender left (Asami) is only good for teenage angst and the occasional invite to fancy parties. (Because gently caress peasants)

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.
It starts before Shabbos this is so nice!

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Sithsaber posted:

I wouldn't have pursued this subplot. Normy Bumi had to act out and struggle before accepting himself, and even then he was laughably resentful of Tenzin. This continued cheapening of non benders trivializes their role in society when they could be world builders and avenues for exploring things like the military or industrial super dickery (a la Varis) At this point the only non bender left (Asami) is only good for teenage angst and the occasional invite to fancy parties. (Because gently caress peasants)

Hasn't Asami been more useful in combat than Sokka ever was? Hell, Sokka started as a joke and the progression of his usefulness amounted to "we're going to say he's not a joke, but he still is."

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Sokka was saddled with a weapon he couldn't use due to kids show, but he was still consistently proficient and contributed heavily to several important strategic undertakings.

Glad this thread is still in the habit of talking down parts of TLAB to make Korra look better.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
In Korra's defense, that was a good idea that only didn't work because that's how stories go.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Oh Snapple! posted:

Sokka was saddled with a weapon he couldn't use due to kids show, but he was still consistently proficient and contributed heavily to several important strategic undertakings.

Glad this thread is still in the habit of talking down parts of TLAB to make Korra look better.

Or I was just pointing out that both stories have their good and bad parts and maybe Korra isn't as terrible and Avatar isn't as perfect as people like to say?

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

In Korra's defense, that was a good idea that only didn't work because that's how stories go.

I liked that it not only didn't work, it got worse, because vines are spiteful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Are you speaking of Bumi's "plan"?

• Locked thread