Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords
Villains are looking good. And am I the only one who loved the use of Maria Bamford's voicing talent to good use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords
Very promising so far... Back to basics, with a fast pace.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords
I also liked the Mad Max vibe added to the old Western esthetics.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords

First Bass posted:

Does anyone else think Asami's flying yacht looks terrible as a CGI render? I mean, I was willing to let things like the Mechatanks and some of the RCPD airships slide in the past two seasons because it was only used sparingly (I know that some animators like Titmouse use 3D when an object like a car or plane or flying sphinx is particularly difficult to animate hand-drawn the way the producer wants), but every single far-away shot of the airship--hell, even the Earth Kingdom airships in episode 3--is/are all 3D all the time and they are just so blocky and featureless and incongruous with the beautiful, lovingly drawn backgrounds. It doesn't seem to matter if it's moving or sitting, it's just WHAM here's your grey filigreed monstrosity, please await scene change.

I concur. But it's not as annoying as Studio Pierrot's lovely animation last season (if they couldn't get Mir, I wonder if they could have hired Sunrise instead of Pierrot then).

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Hell, even if that's just a stone door, they're in a mountain, they can dig their way out.

A bunch of benders of pretty much any kind should be able to break out of an unguarded prison cell pretty quickly.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords
It seems we'll be getting 2 episodes (4 and 5) on July 11th. It appears Nick really wants to catch up to the leaks.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords
There is power creep, but nowhere near the scale of those unending manga/anime series. The 13 episode books, 4 books total also prevents things from going too much over the top. I hope. At least it's not 300 episodes of power creep and cheap filler.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords
It was read out loud for the audience who can't read Chinese. It's a classic TV trick. In foreign dubs of cartoons they will sometimes literally have a character read out loud signs and posters that the audience in the original language could read on their own when the animation cannot be altered.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords
OK, I'll be the crazy conspiracy theorist. Suyin's skin tone is darker than Lin's, thus her dad must be from the water tribe, thus it must be Sokka! :tinfoil: Or it's just some random darker skinned guy from one of the 3 surviving nations.

Jorghnassen fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jul 12, 2014

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords
There's also the age of the protagonists. Aang hadn't hit puberty yet. Korra, Mako, Bolin and Asami are all 16-17, their hormones would drive them crazy...

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords
Jessie Flower (voice of Toph) doing the voice of young Suyin... :allears:

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords
Speaking of Tumblr, for those of us who missed an inside joke in Old Wounds.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords

Fried Chicken posted:

If they weren't telling him to kill that entire fight makes no drat sense

They couldn't say it explicitly because of Standards and Practices... Still, it's important that they didn't explicitly state it, so that the deus ex machina of energy bending actually fulfilled the advice of all four avatars.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords
Oh, mid-season hiatus, how I had missed thee! :allears: Not! :cry:

Are they thinking doing the same as they did with Avatar, they'll get A:TLA ratings? As frustrating as the waits within and between seasons were, they might have helped in building the audience, giving time for new people to catch-up in the olden days of less internet availability... Or perhaps since the critics and fans are happier with this season, they think a hiatus and better promotion could work out to rebuild an audience for this book and the next. They're unlikely to lose those hooked on the new season at this point, are they?

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords
The Friday night slot, for regular networks, is usually called the death slot. With a kids' channel it's different, but your 8pm crowd is not the same as the Saturday morning one.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords
The San Diego Comic Con preview of the remaining episodes that was quickly put together is now available on Youtube

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords
And the kinky bondage Korrasami shippers exploded with joy! Or am I the only one who noticed?

Seriously, the season's been keeping up so far. Only 4 episodes left, and I'm a bit disappointed we don't get double episodes each time. Oh well, might as well make the pleasure last, there's only 3 more weeks as they will finish with a pair.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords

Oh Snapple! posted:

You're the only one being creepy enough to have done so so far, at least.

And I just realized how still ambiguously creepy the second paragraph can be interpreted (though it wasn't meant to be).

Anyway, Aiwei's body will eventually wither and die, right? It's not murder-suicide level of horrible death on a kids' show, but still, sort of pushing the limits of implications with Standards and Pratices, no?

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords
Perhaps Standards and Practices are weird about this, something of the incomplete information kind. Like doctor confidentiality, if I know X is a patient of doctor Y, I can't know his condition, and if I know some patient has condition Z then the doctor cannot reveal the person's name. So if you see someone die, they can't say it explicitely; or if they say someone died, you're not allowed to see the death. It probably has to do with reproducibility. On the plus side, vacuum bending the air out of someone's lungs is non-reproducible in real life, so they can actually show that. Unlike slicing the head of melon lord. I remember a Gargoyles' episode where you see someone essentially burn alive after striking a magical orb thing, because you couldn't have Macbeth strike the guy with a sword and kill him directly (as that's reproducible). Perhaps if you see someone suffocate to death by magical means, and they explicitely say "well the Earth Queen died", then that's a no-no because you can suffocate someone by other means than fictional airbending, so death by suffocation becomes reproducible.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords
Short clip from next episode: looting and commandeeering an airship.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords

Dante Basco's words on the passing of Robin Williams

But, to keep to the thread topic, here's an interview with Janet Varney and David Faustino posted today.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords
I'm in a hotel that blocks Imgur for whatever reason so I can't see all this fanart at the moment... :(

But anyway, here's a podcast (Nerdist Writers Panel) with with Mike and Bryan talking everything from AtlA to Korra.

EDIT: At the end of the podcast, they explain that the crazy TV schedule was NOT due to the leaks.

Jorghnassen fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Aug 21, 2014

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords
I don't know about you guys, but I'm pretty traumatised. Mind you, I saw the end of AtlA book 2 after starting to watch the show in season 3. That was brutal.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

The good kind of traumatized though, right? Not the bad kind we got after Book 1's finale.

The Crossroads of Destiny kind (though I hear some people were going apeshit about Zuko's betrayal, in my case it's just the equivalent of "Aang shot by lightning through the back" sort of deal). Book 1 season finale I had little problem with.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords

Wildeyes posted:

I really thought that was what they were going to do, since they had Zaheer throw Aiwei in that thing, and Zaheer told Korra exactly what it was. This franchise really loves its Chekhov's Gun.

Speaking of Chekhov's Gun, I feel like they could have reminded us that Mako can lightningbend sometime this season. He hasn't shown he can do that since, what, season 1?

He disables a car with lightning at the beginning of season 2.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords
Speaking of Tumblr, here's what Bryan posted back in June 2013. And then Tumblr noticed.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords

PupsOfWar posted:

grownup aang's chinstrap is weird

I used to have a chinstrap when I was stupid

It's because Michael Dante DiMartino has a chinstrap.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords
In related news, Mike DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko will be on The JV Club podcast (Janet Varney's podcast on the Nerdist network) tomorrow. They shouldn't talk too much about Korra, but you never know. Plus I highly recommend that podcast, no matter the guest(s).

Jorghnassen fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Aug 27, 2014

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords
JV Club podcast with Mike and Bryan, direct link. Not a lot of Korra discussion but still interesting.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords
New book 4 related pic of Korra for New York Comic Con (panel October 9th, after the premiere of book 4 incidentally...). New hairdo, doesn't seem bound to a wheelchair.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords
I want that Peanuts meets FLCL project they mentioned in the Nerdist writers podcast. I don't care for FLCL story-wise (or complete lack thereof), but I can appreciate the love of the visual esthetics.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords
Supposedly, we'll get a clip from season 4 tomorrow if this Tumblr post gets reblogged 15,000 times by then. Also, new Season 4 portrait of Korra by Bryan Konietzko.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords

Jackard posted:

It's already at 16k+

That was quick. It was less than 3K when I posted. It's now 33K. Well, can't wait for that clip. No surprise the Nick figures the place for this show is online. At least they are right about the popularity there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords
Agreed 100% on that. Since the season starts in 2 weeks, I was hoping for some sort of trailer by now... But marketing is not Nick's strong point.

• Locked thread