Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Hasn't Asami been more useful in combat than Sokka ever was? Hell, Sokka started as a joke and the progression of his usefulness amounted to "we're going to say he's not a joke, but he still is."

until Asami takes down Combustion Girl with a boomerang, she's got nothing on Sokka's tactical genius :colbert:

incidentally I felt a lot better at the end of Season 2 of Korra than I did at the end of Season 1, so I am optimistic that Season 3 will improve again and I can safely say that Korra is a worthy successor of TLA. Now I just need to convince my friends of this because I'm the only one who actually watched Season 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

ShadowCatboy posted:

EDIT: Also I know you guys probably hate him but holy crap Kai is such an adorable little scamp. Might also be because Kai is part of my Chinese name. :3:

naaaah he's going to be fun to watch. Gotta say that so far I am impressed with how quickly they turned Bolin's character around. He still has bits of the "I'm a celebrity now" that he picked up throughout Season 2 but thankfully he lost the arrogance it brought him, guess that's what happens when your boss tries to assassinate the president. It's also nice to see him just being his normal goofball self and not trying to impress anyone or try to hit on every girl he sees. Not that I didn't enjoy him acting that way in Season 1 but there he seemed only interested in Korra and once that didn't work out he just became the animal guy, which was fine and seems to have returned here :3:

Gonna echo the sentiments of Korra and Asami's new relationship, it's nice to see the two girls reconcile over Mako and just grow up. That and their tormenting of him is pretty entertaining as well. Although there is one thing I'm kind of confused about, didn't Asami lose most of Future Industries last season? Or does she now own that and Varrick's company due to him being arrested? It's not a huge nitpick but I just couldn't remember if that had been resolved at the end of last season or if they're just ignoring it and moving along.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

speaking of Katara, where is she any ways? Bumi made a comment about how she would be proud to know there's another Airbender in the family but we haven't seen hide, nor hair from her since the end of Season 1. We didn't see her during the civil war, which you'd think would be important to her seeing as she also has ties to both the North and South tribes now.

I understand that they want to distance themselves from the Gaang but it would appear Zuko's going to be a big player in this season and I wouldn't be surprised if we hear more about Toph's brood since we're supposed to be meeting Lin's sister. It's not a huge deal but it would be kind of nice to know what she's been up to since she was a non-factor for her country's civil war

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I clearly do not remember Season 2 that well

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I thought it was established that what Amon did was just a really refined version of bloodbending, not any energy poo poo. As far as that's concerned then she doesn't know how to completely strip someone of their spiritual connection to their element, or whatever the gently caress it is that allows people to bend.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

them stating that Toph is still alive made me feel really :smith: for Aang. He's been dead for almost 17 years and pretty much all of his friends are still kicking around, that's gotta suck just sitting there in the afterlife and seeing all of your friends do other stuff.

Incidentally, so Zaheer is going to the Northern Air Temple to find Korra? Or is he gonna go back to the hiding place and tell them they have to go on a hunt? Considering these guys who have been in prison for 16 loving years can easily beat loving Firelord Zuko I'm sure they will have no problem just rolling into all of the major cities in the world looking for her.

I'm sorry that sounds kind of bitter but watching all of these characters that have been labelled as "the best benders of their generation" being punked by what should be emaciated prisoners that have not been able to exercise their powers for years just feels really stupid and poorly thought out.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

no I understand that these benders aren't amazing but it's not like there isn't precedent, in fact Kya was doing well on her own and the only support she had was bunch of White Lotus nobodies and I understand that we have to establish that these 4 are a force to reckoned with. Although I do agree that not sending Zuko after the new airbender did seem silly considering he spent a fair amount of time either fighting against Aang or specifically training WITH him. That is a whole lot more training against airbenders than any of the others involved.

At any rate I am looking forward to Tenzin actually being combat useful since the last we saw him fighting he got easily taken out by a taser. Man remember when we would all complain about how OP those things were? Good times

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Deep Winter posted:

Also, can we discuss previews? Am I the only one who saw *HUGE SPOILER*

:siren:

loving mother loving Korra metal bending? This is all I want, an avatar special bending, let's get this poo poo going!

Remember when all we wanted was for Bolin to be taken under Lin's wing and taught how to metal bend? I still want that :smith:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

after watching the episodes again alls I can really say is that Zuko's dragon had better be hardier than that because that would just blow if we find out Zuko's got a dragon and then it dies because of Sparky Sparky Boom Girl :(

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

The entire narrative is about Aang's failure and inability to confront danger head-on. He fails frequently and largely succeeds against mooks or one of his friends defeats them. Korra wins more than one fight (and psuedo-fights such as Pro Bending) and has successes. Aang certainly had more Adventure Of The Week successes but going "Korra only one a single fight before season 3!" is disingenuous at best.

What fights did she win in Season 1 though? She busted a training ring with the rest of the task force Tarlokk got her involved in but then went home and had the same thing happen to her courtesy of Amon. Sure the championship match was thrown in her opponent's favour for Probending but in the ensuing attack by Amon and his supporters Korra and friends were trounced quite handily. When facing off against Tarlokk to stop him from detaining an entire neighbourhood she loses and then when she attacks him in his office he beats her with surprise blood bending.

Ok she could've won that one if not for the blood bending but the plot says "no" but even when facing off against Amon for the final time he gets the better of her and strips her of her bending and only through sheer force of will does she airbend Amon out the window. Hell Mako and the Lieutenant did more leg work in that fight since Mako got off a lightning strike and the Lieutenant distracted Amon long enough to let Mako and Korra get out of there.

In season 2 this got a lot better and the only times I remember Korra getting really wrecked was at first because no one knew how to calm spirits and then getting surprise drowned by her cousin. Yes they learned the lesson that seeing Korra get her poo poo kicked in every week is kinda boring, so instead we saw her continue to get manipulated instead.

Also I think everyone is forgetting that Aang specifically did everything possible to a) avoid confrontations and fights and b) when in them would specifically be acting defensively to get out of them. Remember, Aang is an airbender first, Avatar second. His entire culture and upbringing is about avoiding conflict at all costs because that Air Nomads are the Buddhists of his world. The only fight you could say he truly lost was when Azula shot him with lightning, every other fight he won purely because he got away safely

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

King of Foolians posted:

So after seeing the past few episodes does this mean that spirit-walking is now considered an 'ultimate' form of airbending, like lightning, metalbending, and bloodbending are for fire, earth, and water?

Well it does link to the whole "spirituality" that the Air Nomads strive to maintain but the only people we have seen do that are Jinora and Aang. Maybe it is an ultimate form but I get the feeling that there will probably be a more practical bending that will come out of air now that we have more airbenders.

A friend of mine has a theory that soundbending or some type of sonicbending will be the ultimate physical airbending form. Can't remember what her justification was but I think it had to do with the fact that sound uses air, seeing as there is no sound in a vacuum, and so if an airbender was good enough they could manipulate the waves of sound and do some scary things with it, like tear down bridges :v:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

well that's the other reason why Mako's plot sucked. The writers (creators? Guess it's the same in this instance) needed to make Mako look right but for some reason the only way they could convey this was to make everyone else look absolutely retarded in comparison, thus we have Lin Beifong, whom we have already seen display many reasons why she is the Chief of Police for Republic City but now she doesn't notice that her detectives are either on the take and delaying the case to bury it or are just THAT bad at their jobs?

I found that that whole arc was probably one of the lowest points for Korra as a whole, not only do we see everyone act like idiots to prop up Mako we also had to keep him in the romance spotlight so after Korra and him split off Asami comes back at him. Why?! What purpose did that serve except to bring in stupid teenage romance that nobody wants (unless the targeted Korra demographic still eats Twilight up) and the only good thing I remember coming from that was Bolin's "Korra's been gone for a WEEK?!?!" calling out.

Bolin was pretty insufferable last season too but you could excuse it as him allowing Varrick to continue inflating his ego and no one being around to force him to rein it in. Yes he did some creeper things but in retrospect you can chalk it up to a kind of awkward, goony guy who has never had the spotlight, it's always been Mako at the helm, so of course he would act like an rear end in a top hat, he's a celebrity and his boss is feeding into that every possible moment he can to manipulate him.

I actually like the evolution of Bolin's character, in season 1 we got a sense that he is a very nice and good-natured guy that doesn't really know how to really act on feelings he has. Korra probably never was going to pursue him romantically but she was nice enough to put up with his awkwardness and let him down easy because he wasn't doing anything wrong, she just wasn't interested in him. Then we move on to season 2 where he gets in an abusive relationship (at first) because he likes the idea of being in a relationship. He gets along well with Varrick because he shares a similar eccentric energy but doesn't have the raw confidence and esteem that Varrick has so it is easy for him to fall under Varrick's charms. Varrick feeds off of this naivety and uses it to corral Bolin under his wing and keep a hold of him while he does his other work. Bolin is finally pointed out the error of his ways and is still able to be the hero in the spotlight he always wanted to be by saving the President from being abducted but is also brought back down to the ground by Mako.

Now in season 3 we are seeing that he still gets overly emotional about any little thing, such with him immediately buying Kai's story and even after Kai countless times betraying his trust he still loves the little scamp. However what is important, and may prove to be more important as the season goes on is how his relationship with Opal will develop. They clearly like each other and Bolin quickly admits that he doesn't really know how to act when he knows a girl likes him, so he puts on the macho act because, well it works with Mako right? Logically it should work for Bolin too right? Thankfully Opal quickly points out that she likes him because he's a goofball and he shouldn't try to impress her in a way that is not true to his natural character.

I don't know how talking about how lovely Mako's arc in season 2 got me on the Bolin spiel but dammit, I really like Bolin ok

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

awwwwww all those baby Sky Bison :3:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I can't recall if they even mentioned this or not but since most of the new Airbenders were non-benders before does this mean Opal was a black sheep in her family? A non-bender surrounded by benders like Bumi?

Also, is Team Avatar just gonna continue chilling in Metal City and Opal is going to NAT by herself? That doesn't seem like something Su would allow but Korra didn't sound like she was preparing to move out when speaking with Tenzin. However if Team Avatar were to move out, maybe that would be a chance for Lin to teach Bolin and Korra more metalbending stuff :)

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

That was a pretty great sequence, but seriously is anyone actually sitting down and telling Bolin the whole "feel the earth in the metal" idea? I mean yes he was eavesdropping on Korra so I guess he would've heard it but from the way he's reacting around metal, I don't think he gets it.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

dj_clawson posted:

Also, she could put on a drat shirt once in a while

did I miss something? I thought she was always wearing her tank top. Is this a sleeves thing?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Jinora also mentions that it is a high-level airbender technique.

Eeeeeh, I get the feeling she was just saying that to impress Kai seeing as Mr. Truthsayer was also shown astrally projecting, Unalaq was the first person in LoK shown to be able to do it. Yes spirituality is tied to it and because of how spiritual Airbenders tend to be they are kind of naturally apt but I think LoK is demonstrating that anyone spiritual enough should be able to astrally project

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

VanSandman posted:

I just rewatched "The Ultimatum." I never noticed it before but Iroh has Earth Kingdom clothes on. He must've stayed in Ba Sing Se :3:

hey man, he was carving out a nice little chunk of the tea shop/restaurant market, I would return there after the war too

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

But Korra is the only "anime" I watch and I was happy that it was here in TVIV, I don't want to go to a different sub forum. I'm scared of the transition

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

uncleKitchener posted:

Korra channeling Bryan Fury here.

Also, the new bob cut is nice.

When is the new season premier again? Word of god was that it's supposed to be on Oct 3rd, but is it gonna be this year?

so her hair is shorter? I'm not really seeing what's different here outside of the fact that her hair isn't tied up or anything. I don't know hair though, I just wash mine and pull a comb through it so I don't look like Wolverine from my bedhead

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Yeah, Bryan Konietzko posted it after there was a shot of Book 2 (which was taken from a camera) that had Tenzin, Bumi, and Kya, and some Tumblrites complained how Katara's kids were all "whiter" than her, and Bryan got pissed about it and showed everyone that they were objectively wrong.

whenever I see things like this I just imagine some :smug: gently caress sitting at their computer mumbling "trap sprung". I mean I sure didn't need to see a palette swatch confirming that Katara and Kya do have the same skin tones, Kya just always looked like Katara. However I did find it weird how none of the kids were as bright as Aang.

What I'm saying is come on Bryan, it's loving tumblr, you should know better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

i hate meatloaf posted:

It was actually a pretty interesting post about color theory and lighting. Some people still got mad about it though lol.

Aang's probably brighter than Tenzin because LoK's color palette is more subdued. Adult Aang in LoK looks about on par with Tenzin's skin tone.

See I kinda figured that he would've had something like that lined up because it IS pretty cool on its own, but the way Spiderhyphenman was phrasing it made it seem like Bryan posted to show those tumblrites how dumb and wrong they are and, well that's kind of dumb because most of those tumblrites ARE pretty dumb and wrong.

However after making my post I had realised that, yes TLA was a lot brighter than LoK is but hey, edits are for chumps :v:

• Locked thread