Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Props on the thread tag, and ahaha FREE AT LAST!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

computer parts posted:

It will not feel anything more than a standard kid's show until Season 2.
Um... The Storm?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

ufarn posted:

Some episodes from season 3 leaked, so the Korra people decided to launch the series early, being as clueless about promotion and drumming up hype, as they are at writing a character ensemble.
And you're clueless about how television actually works if you think the people who write the show have any say at all about when it gets released.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Sithsaber posted:

He even took out mooks without bending. Now he's just another bending novice.
I'm just gonna point out the dramatic potential of Bumi living his whole life feeling like a part of his father resented that he wasn't an airbender, and now he is one.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
In Korra's defense, that was a good idea that only didn't work because that's how stories go.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

X_Toad posted:

Are you speaking of Bumi's "plan"?
What? No, I'm talking about the episode that's airing right now.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I can deal with coincidence as long as it allows for good character development, which I guess this does well.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

DizzyBum posted:

Aww gently caress, I completely forgot to DVR this. :doh:

Any chance they'll re-run these episodes during the weekend or am I SOL for now?
If you're in America you'll be able to watch it on Nick's website tomorrow.

Also, holy gently caress, Elevator Zuko, Mako giving up the scarf, the Dai Li being back, actually going to make a deal out of economic inequality, and god drat this show is back, y'all!

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Sithsaber posted:

Do we have the air time schedule up to episode 7? I need more.
August 1st.

Yeah, looks like you sorta hosed yourself there, bud.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

DarklyDreaming posted:

I disagree with the idea that he's better than Kai, but I will make two arguments on why he should have gone along:

1: Seriously what kind of goon passes up the opportunity to join an ancient order of mystic martial arts practitioners? It would make sense for him to be obsessed with bad radio dramas and dime novels about adventure and be continuously disappointed by what reality turns out to be
2: If he did go along he would constantly perv out on Korra and Asami, being a walking parody of a certain type of Avatar fan. Though I can't really imagine how that would go over with Nickelodeon's S&P so I can understand why they wouldn't pursue that angle.
Boy am I glad you're not writing this show.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Jorghnassen posted:

It seems we'll be getting 2 episodes (4 and 5) on July 11th. It appears Nick really wants to catch up to the leaks.
Discourage piracy by drastically altering your release plans in accordance to leaks! :downs:

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Jorghnassen posted:

It seems we'll be getting 2 episodes (4 and 5) on July 11th. It appears Nick really wants to catch up to the leaks.
Can we get a source on this, actually?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

TheKingofSprings posted:

Why do I have this terrible theory that Kai's big "change" he was talking about after gaining airbending has something to do with Aang's now disconnected/destroyed spirit?
The hell? They made a huge point of showing that Kai hasn't changed just because of airbending. He's still a terrible rear end in a top hat.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea scratch that I'd kinda love if he was 'possessed' by Aang but just the side of Aang that was a total shitbag.
You mean like some kind of Dark Avatar?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Regalingualius posted:

On another note, is there anywhere to legally rewatch these?
Not at the moment, and yes that is unusual, and no we don't know why.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

ImpAtom posted:

I'm not sure how I feel about Kai yet. It depends on when he goes, but I don't dislike him that much. He's sort of hilariously shameless which I appreciate but he could easily wander off into annoying-town real quickly.
I get the feeling getting thrown in prison training camp will be his wake up call. Just a thought.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

pentyne posted:

It caught on really early and most people just keep running with it. Also, ShadowCatBoy's effort post was lost in the noise of the episode releases.
Fact is that history tends to repeat itself so audiences will generally assume a reference is more contemporary than it actually is.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Oracle posted:

Korra's was shown going all glowy white-eyed in the first episode, so I'm going to guess the avatar state is still available to her (I think it was during the 'meditation' scene when she was trying to reach the previous avatars and failed).
It was when she tried to make the vines go away with Unalaq's spirit purification technique. Which, I'll say again, was a good plan despite not working, and Korra thought of it on her own.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Re: Advancements in bending, here is a side by side comparison of the gold medal winning Olympic vaults from 1956 and 2012.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Also, with regards to the new airing schedule, my theory, as someone who knows absolutely nothing about the inner workings of Nickelodeon or any television network, is that their eagerness to finish off the season is related to Book 3 not being on iTunes, Amazon, or even the official website. Again, I have literally nothing to back this up, but considering Korra is such a heavily serialized show on a network that is not known at all for that sort of thing, along with the fact that there is no legal way to watch episodes that you have missed, leads me to this hypothesis.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

dj_clawson posted:

I would be fine with all of this if somebody in the show took the time to explain the mechanics of how new skills were popping up. Bending's been around for 10,000 years. An Industrial Revolution (which, to be fair, was caused by war and fire bending) isn't really going to change that. If they explained how Amon's powers worked instead of us speculating, I would say, "Oh, that's neat. It's cool that you thought of that world-changing ability but still kept it within the logic of the universe you've created." The same thing with Unalaq's evil spirit bending - I just wanted to know how it worked. The show didn't take the time to explain it to me.
How can Combustion Man blow things up with his mind, anyways?

It's like, "hey, how does the same thing that lets you pyschokinetically choke someone allow you to manipulate their mind in a way to make them more agreeable without also causing lasting brain damage?"

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

ShadowCatboy posted:

Combustion Man emitted explosions from his Third Eye chakra, which is supposed to have spooky powers when "opened" in eastern metaphysics.

EDIT: Just sayin' that there's a legit reason for these things.
I know, but the show never explained that explicitly. I'm not saying there isn't a reason for why things in Avatar work the way that they do, or that it isn't fun to speculate about it, but to hold it against the show for not explicitly explaining how bending can be used to do X is foolhardy.
The Book 1 Blu-Ray Commentary has Miike and Bryan saying that Amon uses bloodbending as some sort of reverse-healing to take away bending. We know that waterbending can be used to open chakras and heal Qi and even wounds, so the idea of Bloodbending being used to block bending is not at all a stretch. But to say, "no, that's bullshit, the show didn't explain it explicitly enough," I feel is just asking for bendingchlorians at a certain point.
Unalaq's spiritbending was just healing for spirits. Again, not hard. Just because Unalaq didn't say in the show "I'm applying healing techniques to spirits!" doesn't make his abilities inconsistent with the show's universe.
Psychic Bloodbending, on the other hand... while Combustion Man is a sort of precedent for psychic bending, I do agree with people who feel that it's kinda bullshit since there isn't really the same eastern metaphysical backing to psychic mass puppetry. Unless there is. Is there?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Bringing this back to Book 3, I just hope that they never call what the armless waterbender is doing "psychic" so as to keep the phantom limb fan theory alive, because that's way more interesting than loving "I was born with no arms and learned to use waterbending to compensate for my disability like Toph!"

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

X_Toad posted:

No, it does not. It depends on the existence of a bloodbending prodigy and the technique he created to take away bending with bloodbending. Amon himself almost never uses psychic bloodbending (he used it once againt Tarlokk).
Actually psychic bloodbending was how Amon dodged nearly every attack that was thrown at him throughout the season.
That part was pretty bullshit, honestly.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
What part of the thread title do you not understand?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
AIrbending wouldn't even work for Pro-Bending since its whole thing is knocking people back it would be horribly unbalanced.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

AnonSpore posted:

Amon takes off his mask to reveal Tenzin!

"It's me Korra! It's me Korra! It was me, all, along Korra!"
Oh god, linear time is a lie.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
A new Nickelodeon commercial for Friday's episodes boasts that Legend of Korra Book 3 "Cannot be seen online."

Which I guess answers the question of why the episodes aren't online legally at all.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I think that spoiler tag should start a little earlier.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
There's gonna be a Book Three panel on Friday July 25th at Comic-Con, where, in an alternate universe where the leaks didn't happen, the Book 3 trailer will debut. However, in our universe... poo poo, I don't know. Due to the accelerated airing schedule, the panel will take place AFTER the leaks have been caught up to.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Jackard posted:

What times does this air?
Two episodes a week every Friday at 8 pm EST.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
So those new benders are awesome.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Oh hey half-siblings in a Nickelodeon cartoon.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Varrick's back, fuckers!

Edit: Also holy poo poo the writing needs work.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

McCheese posted:

Did harmonic convergence just effect Republic City or what? The rest of the world seems pretty free of giant spirit whales and stuff.
There's the Wilds Vaatu made in his fight with Korra, which is where the spirits had centralized.
Also what the hell didn't Lin have like, an arc? When she got over Tenzin? Wasn't that a thing?

I liked Bolin getting called out. That was nice.

Also I guess the Earth Queen isn't a threat anymore even though she promised to declare War on Korra? I guess it makes sorta sense, because Korra and Lin Bei Fong would both just go "Hey the Earth Queen kidnapped a bunch of people to draft them into an army including a literal child using the same organization that allowed the Fire Nation to take over Ba Sing Se."

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jul 12, 2014

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
So wait did I hear right when Suyin said "Neither of us knew our fathers"?

Like either Toph is cursed, or S&P has really loosened up.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder if there was a moment in the writers room when they realized they were going to have to have Zaheer read the locket out loud to himself like a goddamn child learning to read.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Sithsaber posted:

You've never recited a mantra or quoted scripture?
Recitation is way different from reading.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Jorghnassen posted:

It was read out loud for the audience who can't read Chinese. It's a classic TV trick. In foreign dubs of cartoons they will sometimes literally have a character read out loud signs and posters that the audience in the original language could read on their own when the animation cannot be altered.
I know that's why they did it, it's just that usually in Avatar/Korra when the Chinese text needs to be read out loud because it's important to know what it says, there's more than one character in the room.

It stood out to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Those better not be actual spoilers.

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

That is actually a surprisingly plausible theory.

To crazy that poo poo up some, what if Lin didn't so much choose to give Opal up as Suyin took her in while Lin was otherwise indisposed?

Doesn't quite line up with them not having spoken for 30 years, though. Actually them having not spoken in 30 years puts a big hole in the "Lin is Opal's mom" theory in general.
Also it was all but outright said that the reason Tenzin and Lin broke up was because Lin didn't want to have children.

• Locked thread