Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Golden Goat posted:

The second season also ended with Korra turning into a blue Gatorade giant which was awful for the fact they pulled that resolution out of their rear end.

No worse than energy bending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hakkesshu posted:

I just started watching Avatar, first time I've seen it. It's decent so far, but a lot of the humour is just so goofy and cringeworthy. The whole episode with the old crazy earthbender king was so goddamn corny. I know it's a kids show, and I do think it's been mostly alright so far (wonderfully animated, of course), but it's not quite living up to its reputation. Does it take a while for the show to find its groove?

It will not feel anything more than a standard kid's show until Season 2.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Serella posted:

Ahahaha, Ba Sing Sei is still a hellhole and the Dai Li are still being wielded like a club by its ruler.

But hey, at least we can look forward to the inevitable moment when the Earth Queen gets ground into the dirt.

The Earth Queen reminded me a lot of Cixi which means she's probably paranoid as all hell.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

pentyne posted:

After the wet fart that was the season 1 finale, and the equally bad season 2 finale, most people have decided to just wait for the season to finish and binge it to minimize the inevitable disappointment.

Or maybe the fact that it was only announced a week before it debuted kept a lot of people from noticing.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Aces High posted:

speaking of Katara, where is she any ways? Bumi made a comment about how she would be proud to know there's another Airbender in the family but we haven't seen hide, nor hair from her since the end of Season 1. We didn't see her during the civil war, which you'd think would be important to her seeing as she also has ties to both the North and South tribes now.

I understand that they want to distance themselves from the Gaang but it would appear Zuko's going to be a big player in this season and I wouldn't be surprised if we hear more about Toph's brood since we're supposed to be meeting Lin's sister. It's not a huge deal but it would be kind of nice to know what she's been up to since she was a non-factor for her country's civil war

Wasn't she there when Jinora left her body?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Rincewind posted:

Aang would have died right when Korra was born 17 years ago.

So they probably made an attempt on her life when she was 4 (maybe they're former White Lotus) and then got locked up.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

dj_clawson posted:

People genuinely used to worship the Emperor, who ruled with the Mandate of Heaven. Modern Asian regimes have copied that because they're not dummies. Mao created a cult of popularity around himself leading up to the Cultural Revolution so that he could use public sentiment to eliminate his enemies, which at that point was everybody. Since the regime he's founded has never fallen (just altered over time) and his real history has never been shown in China, people still think of him as a god who could do no wrong and make a pilgrimage to his mausoleum.

This isn't true incidentally, post-Mao the CCP distanced themselves from him about as much as you can do while still acknowledging that he founded your country.

The US equivalent is sort of the "Jefferson was a good philosopher but he was also really bad at practicing what he preached" consensus but in a more "he practiced what he preached but he was very bad at it" way.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Brightman posted:

There's probably mass produced books on bending techniques, rather than handwritten scrolls that are hard to come by. A bender could just buy Earth Bending for Dummies instead of tracking down a master to teach them. There's probably even be classes for it and poo poo. Better dissemination of information allows for advancement and such.

Yeah, it's entirely possible (and indeed quite likely) that there are a bunch of benders out there that can do a lot more in the first series but were limited by education. Psychic Bloodbending is sort of the exception but stuff like lightning or metal bending definitely.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

seravid posted:

The only part people really liked in Book 2 was the two-parter, so we're gonna love Book 3!

Honestly it's paced better that way. It seemed like for a lot of the episodes last season it was "oh something interesting is happening? better cut to credits!" and then it's resolved in the first five minutes of the next episode.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

DrSunshine posted:

She set off for the Grand Line in search of Gol D. Roger's treasure and became the Pirate King!

Oh, so this is the void century we're seeing.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

theblackw0lf posted:

Episode titles for all episodes have been released

http://kidstvinfo.com/eplists/nick/the-legend-of-korra.txt

201 Jun-27-2014 A Breath of Fresh Air
202 Jun-27-2014 Rebirth
203 Jun-27-2014 The Earth Queen
204 Jul-11-2014 In Harm's Way
205 Jul-11-2014 The Metal Clan
206 Jul-18-2014 Old Wounds
207 Jul-18-2014 Original Airbenders
208 Jul-25-2014 The Terror Within
209 Jul-25-2014 The Stakeout
210 Aug-1-2014 Long Live the Queen
211 Aug-1-2014 The Ultimatum
212 Aug-8-2014 Enter the Void
213 Aug-8-2014 Venom of the Red Lotus

I guess we haven't heard the last of The Earth Queen.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

AshB posted:

I don't know, I don't necessarily like that none of the adults on this show are particularly mature. I get wanting the characters to be flawed enough that they have some challenge to overcome, but all the main adult characters feel pretty childish in a somewhat weird way when you compare them to any minor character or even villain.

Most adults are in fact squabbling children.

Going to villains though, Amon was basically the guy with daddy issues in Season 1.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

iSheep posted:

They sneak in some car insurance commercials though. Adults love car insurance!

Car commercials and car insurance commercials are on literally every network at every time of day barring saturday morning cartoons (maybe).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Did someone catch the name of the Red Lotus members from the beginning? I don't think they've been mentioned before then.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

TheModernAmerican posted:

Alright, I just finished up season one, and it ended on an obnoxious sour note. So I guess I'm stuck.

I think that if Season 1 didn't have Aang wrap up everything in the last 5 minutes people wouldn't hate Season 1 as much as they do.

I mean yeah the Equalist stuff wasn't as deep as people were imagining but it was still a mastermind plot by a dude with daddy issues which has been the MO of Avatar since forever.

They could even have done the same ending more or less, just have Aang tell her that her powers will come back and end with her struggling to try to earth/water/firebend again.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Season 2 was perfectly fine from the 2 parter onwards.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Also I've never really criticized an animated work for the quality of its animation. I've noticed the quality is lower, that's for sure, but do visuals impact the plotline in any way? No. (this is coming from someone who watched the original run of 12oz Mouse when they were 11, so I don't think I'm typical)

They get better after the two-parter.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

meristem posted:

It could still be a case of 'don't go against the established order unless you are the Avatar/the main character, you peasant'.

Which kid doesn't think of themselves as the main character?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I guess this also answers the question of how Zaheer knew where Korra was.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ImpAtom posted:

You can argue that is what he was talking about though. There were small cities on the back of the turtles but no overarching force that controlled huge territories of land and even in Wan's city it seemed more like those with power controlled things instead of elected officials or monarchs.

Zaheer doesn't seem to want Captain A Anarchy. He's basically seems to be arguing from a libertarian 'get the gubment out of our bending' perspective.

That's literally capital A Anarchy. It's small groups that aren't really led by anyone else (though I guess the rich guys in Wan's village are kind of breaking that).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Baron Bifford posted:

Fill in the blanks as much as you like. I wish the writers for once would elaborate what their villains believe in and what they are aiming for, instead of giving us vague lines like "for equality" and "the balance".

To be honest they're more articulate than most anarchists regarding their end game beliefs.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Baron Bifford posted:

LoK is a kids show, and kids need no justification to tag along on adventures with their friends because they don't understand the meanings of the words "respinsibilities" and "legal liability".

Besides, having *more* female representation is rarely a bad thing.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Raenir Salazar posted:

I would also find it interesting if there was a 'Dark Avatar' who embodied not exactly the opposite of what the Avatar embodies but was something like the other side of the same coin. That existed as an active force to better define the Avatar's role other than being the world's referee. Who also could bend all four elements. There are 'evil' virtues, Ambition, Determination, Resourcefulness, and a certain sort of Valour. Some works of fiction argue that Good cannot exist without Evil and they are defined by each other as much as they are different; so maybe there's good story telling potential there that doesn't devolve to "Evil bad" like with Unalaq.

The problem with that is that we've already had Avatars that are valorous dicks (ie, Kyoshi) so there's not much ground you can cover in that respect.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ImpAtom posted:

Balance doesn't only mean "there are equal amounts." It is also possible for something to be unbalanced by having corrupted elements. That is in fact the way Star Wars uses it.

The irony (semi intentional?) is that Luke brings balance to the Force in both ways - he physically destroys all of the Jedi & Sith, and he's also merged their techniques to remove the corruption of both.

(The corruption of the Sith being self evident and the corruption of the Jedi being the past Avatars style of "oh yeah you totally need to murder your enemy")

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sydin posted:

I think it's less that he'll be able to suddenly do it the critical moment, and more that something will convince him that he can do it. The focus so far has mostly been on the fact that Bolin seems convinced that he doesn't have the potential, which is what is ultimately holding him back.

I am 100% behind tossing him lava bending, though. :black101:

It'll be to save Opal.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Babygravy posted:

Oh well it's ended now, will be interesting in seeing if they form a new monarchy or maybe do the republic city route with a president.

Well if they follow real history it's a big civil war and then :china: next.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Again, the biggest problem of Season 1 is that I sympathized with the Equalists. Could you imagine being some farmer that moved to the city for a job but can't get one because you aren't a bender?

You're supposed to think that their arguments have some merit even if their practices don't, that's why they dissolved the council at the end of S1.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Spergatory posted:

It's a weird situation. We're shown with Wan and company that you don't really need all that much skill to sling fire around (probably why everyone's parents got killed by firebenders; much like a gun, it's lethal even in the hands of the unskilled). And airbenders can apparently kick up some pretty powerful winds with very little training (with cases like Daw even doing it accidentally and needing training in order to stop). But Katara struggled with waterbending before she found the scrolls and got tutored by Pakku. And I don't think we've ever seen an untrained earthbender. So it's kind of unclear how important the actual 'art' of bending is compared to just being born with the power.

It depends what you mean by "trained"; earth benders probably have a hereditary aspect to it so they can learn father to son but I doubt most of the earthbenders outside of Ba Sing Se ever received formal training for their abilities.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

cmykjester posted:

So when does the episode go up? I honestly have no clue.

It should be in an hour and a half.

Kingtheninja posted:

And where is it available to watch? Just nick's site?

Yes.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

TheKingofSprings posted:

No way Tenzin's dead, with how liberally they were spouting the words "die" and "kill" this episode, even ignoring the fact that he's the last bargaining chip they have to get Korra.

Good episode, Bumi remains a loving joke though. I get that it's a kids show and he can't do anything lethal, but isn't he a close quarters fighter and an airbender besides? It was hilarious how he stuck around with his siblings to fight as if he was going to have meaningful impact.

Bumi was actually very clever this fight because instead of trying to depend on air bending he just grabs the dude and tries to bite his ear off.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Also:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Kiran posted:

I think that Sokka is funnier than Bolin, but I think it's because ATLA was a lighter series as a whole. When this series gets going you don't really want comic relief.

Even Hamlet had comic relief. Actually the cut to Naga & Pabu fighting over the scarf is pretty classic comic relief.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

AshB posted:

That would've kept the avatar cycle going, which is the opposite of their whacked out plan for "true" balance.

Having someone sacrifice themselves for the cause sounds like something Zaheer would do.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Darth Nat posted:

The Red Lotus are pretty bad at plans, as evidenced by how almost every one of their plans throughout this season fails.

That more has to do with them being the baddies, though.

They basically captured Korra about 3 times, and once they were discovered, once the Earth Queen beat them to it, and once they actually succeeded and nearly killed her friends in the process.

Actually, if Korra hadn't sent the airship down they would've treated with the Earth Queen and been on their merry way with no one the wiser on their real intentions.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Genocyber posted:

I don't like things that are different :cry:

Zuko's S3 haircut is actually more in line with traditional Chinese style; the ponytail is a Qing (read: Manchu) artifact.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hauldren Collider posted:

That was probably one of the biggest problems with Season 2. The Fire Lord may have been a mustache-twirling comic book villain with absolutely no depth or complexity, but at least his motivations were clear. Vaatu wants to destroy the world so he can....destroy the world. OK? Can we have a reason that isn't circular? Maybe he has some grudge? The world threw out all of his childhood photo albums? I dunno.

Presumably creatures like humans are influenced by Raava, so eventually similar creatures would come out of Vaatu. You see this to a certain extent with the dark spirits.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Legend of Korra isn't really designed for that sort of epic story against a foe with vast and expanding political power. It's always been about villains with a personal interest in the Avatar, because, I and I need to stress this point, Legend of Korra and Avatar The Last Airbender are fundamentally different shows.
This is where comparisons to the Star Wars prequel trilogy fall flat, because while those films were trying to "recapture the magic" of the Original Trilogy, as evidenced by how it desperately mined iconic imagery in order to attempt to connect the two trilogies, Korra embraces its fundamental differences from its predecessor. That's just what Mike and Bryan want to do. For better or worse.

The only connection between the OT and the PT is that the Jedi are lying deceitful shitbags, which both series point out explicitly.

Actually there are quite a few parallels between the OT and ATLA - in both series, the final chapter has a climax of the protagonist saying "gently caress you mentors, I'll find my own way" and they do so. A hypothetical prequel series about Avatar Roku, by contrast, would follow the Prequels quite well - both would feature the rise of an empire and the death of the previous [super people] by way of incompetence.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Aug 24, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Android Blues posted:

I think you'd have to be kind of bonkers to call S1 of Korra "just terrible", but a lot of people have very strong opinions on it so it's possible I'm outvoted. I think at very worst it was an extremely strong and ambitious season with a couple of hiccups sticking the landing.

People remember a bad ending really strongly, I honestly think if they had done that differently most of the other complaints would be nitpicking.

That being said, the ending was really bad and even if you thought you only had one season you still could have done it better.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Baron Bifford posted:

I wonder just what life in the Earth Kingdom was like that the people would revolt the moment their queen died and that wall was knocked down. Usually the death of a monarch does not cause this; the heir to the throne takes over life goes on. As with the Equalist movement, there's a lot of important backstory that the show leaves unexplained.

We already know there were small rebellions in regions that were outside of the immediate reach of the Earth Queen (i.e., the taxes Korra had to go get). Couple that with some literally free looting opportunities and it's no wonder that people started a riot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

NowonSA posted:

It would actually be pretty sweet if after two comets of Firebenders trying to take over or flat out burn the world, the comet arrives and all firebenders do is jetpack around and shoot fire patterns into the sky and such.

Since I'm curious, can anyone refresh my memory on if earth and airbenders were ever assigned a time period or set of conditions that drastically increase (or decrease)their bending abilities, similar to how sozin's comet boosts firebenders and a full moon boosts waterbenders?

It makes sense that only water & fire would have those since they're opposites.

• Locked thread