Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I'm also cautiously optimistic even though I wasn't really that negative on season 2. Then again I can take a lot of stupid poo poo and enjoy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

SatansBestBuddy posted:

The Storm, The Blue Spirit, and the finale are basically the best parts of Avatar Season 1, but it's still pretty drat good as a whole. The whole of the show is miles better than it's best parts alone.

Also where the hell did Korra Season 3 come from?!? I literally just heard about it! Season 1 had months of build up before the first episode aired, and season 2 I remember was at least a couple of weeks between trailer and premier.
I think Nick wants it to fail for some reason, kind of like Cartoon Network and how they gently caress over every Gendy cartoon or DCAU cartoon with dumb schedule changes.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

I was at a Pirates game tonight, how did the premier go?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

DarklyDreaming posted:

The general consensus is surprisingly, refreshingly good
I was judging by what I was reading on Twitter, which was a little less positive, so I'll probably check it out later. Does Nick show the show on their website?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Just finished watching the 3 episodes and goddamn its much better than season 2. Like the new bad guys and also how hosed up the Earth Kingdom is, whoever brought up the North Korea parallels was spot on

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Level Slide posted:

Well now he's going to be a brainwashed child soldier*

*I haven't seen the leaked episodes
Man I knew Platinum Games was making a Korra game, but didn't expect Korra to start taking stuff from Metal Gear :v:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Genocyber posted:

Probending was interesting the first few times. But there's a lack of flair to it that makes it boring after seeing it a couple of times. Makes it a realistic sport at least. :\
Should have just made it Pro Wrestling with bending, that would make it interesting, especially when it gets to the petty backstage politics of who's going over :v:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

First Bass posted:

Also :drat: Zaofu is some space-age poo poo. I'm going to feel really bad when the Fearsome Four start wrecking it.
Its kind of amazing how the world has advanced from the Feudal Age to retro-futurist 1920s Age, but then again being able to manipulate metal lead to some amazing leaps in technology.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

FriedDijaaj posted:

I wholeheartedly agree.

On a related note, Henry Rollins' delivery is fantastic.
Hahah they made Zaheer look just like him, though now knowing Henry Rollins is voicing him I'm sad he isn't like Mad Stan. :smith:

NowonSA posted:

Throwing my speculation into the mix, I think that Lin's sister did something decently evil in the past, which probably gave her the means to create the awesome metal city. Lin found out about it and left in disgust.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the heck the actual reason for the rift is though. There's no way that it's just Lin being mean for no reason.
Well she did say that she went with a bunch of pirates before joining a circus.

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jul 12, 2014

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

dj_clawson posted:

Last night I caught up on Sylvia Chan's new book on Dowager Empress Cixi, on whom the Earth Queen is quite clearly based. She's been mostly misunderstood by historians (which is explained in the book) but new documentation is giving her a makeover.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empress_Dowager_Cixi

Dowager Empress Cixi (1835 – 1908) was a Manchu woman born in the late Ching (Manchu dyansty) who was chosen as concubine to Tongzhi but was raised in status almost equal to the actual empress when she produced his only son. She outlived four emperors - her father-in-law, her husband, her son, and her stepson - and she ruled behind the throne for long periods during the reigns of the last two. Even though she did not have a strong education, she became a sophisticated diplomat and reformer. During her day she was mostly extremely popular for being a strong and competent ruler when the emperors were very weak in personality.

She lived during a long period of decay and destruction of the Chinese empire. She was raised during the Opium Wars, when Britain forced China to open trade with the west. Over time more sovereignty was conceded. She attempted to modernize the army to keep up the arms race with Meiji Japan, which was rapidly becoming a major naval power and invaded Korea, which at the time was under Chinese rule. Since she couldn't actually rule, court etiquette forced her into retirement when her son and then her stepson came of age, which were disastrous periods for Chinese history. The traditional political forces in the Forbidden City shut down her reform programs, and China was completely unprepared for the war with Japan in 1894. Each war caused the loss of territory with tremendous financial hardships forced on the loser. China was in debt when the Western powers who had traditionally respected her decided to take chunks out of China's shorelines and Russia demanded a railroad and more control over Manchuria. Intelligent nobles basically begged for her to come back into power, but it was already too late. Frustration with outside forces and loss of Chinese dignity lead to the Boxer Rebellion, which was poorly equipped and only succeeded in losing more territory and rights to foreign powers. She attempted more reforms, and continued that program until her death in 1908, when she named Puyi emperor. The Ching dynasty was overthrown almost immediately after her death.

Fun facts:
- Cixi was for the modernization of China, especially its military. She introduced the first railroad, telegraph lines, and electricity. She bought the first gun ships and would have spent more money had she had complete power over the government. She changed the educational system to teach modern subjects instead of exclusively teaching Chinese classics. She learned English. She discouraged corruption.
- She was an especially talented leader, negotiating China's way out of several disasters or at least limiting their scope. She preferred winning over political enemies over punishing them, though she did inflict revenge on people. She had very few people actually executed; she thought it was in bad taste. She maintained good relationships with foreign envoys (despite not being allowed to see them until very late) and sent out the first Chinese diplomatic missions to Europe and the United States. She accepted criticisms from censors and rarely punished them.
- People were either terrified of her or loved her; she loved to laugh and was generally a very amicable person when not in an official meeting. She outlawed various barbaric practices, including foot binding.
- She did love nature and gardens, which was difficult for her since most of her life she was not allowed to leave the Forbidden City. When foreign forces burned down the Summer Palace during her husband's reign, she spent a good portion of her life trying to restore them, for which she was criticized, as it was a major expenditure and possibly the only time she used corrupt methods to get the money she needed. Today it is still considered the gem of the tour of the Forbidden City.
- She loved birds and animals. On her birthday she would buy 10,00 captive birds and set them free. She ended the habit of breeding undersized "sleeve" dogs which were malformed so they could be carried around in clothing and promoted healthier breeds. She also loved Chinese Opera, essentially making into the form it is today at the Peking Opera House. She even wrote operas herself.
- In public she wore a Manchu headdress which was in fact very heavy; in private she was allowed to remove her jewels to lighten the load.

So yeah, tons and tons of parallels. Until the 1980's she was a villain of Chinese history, responsible for the decay of the empire, but a lot of the historical documents from her time were written by her enemies (failed assassins like Kang the Silver Fox) and she did not respond because explaining the situation would have caused scandals.

For the Earth Queen to be upset about loss of land to the United Republic and conspiring to develop new military technology makes complete sense to me.
So basically she got the Nero treatment where all we learned of her was from the writings and propaganda of her enemies?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

dj_clawson posted:

The show is mostly watched by adults; Nick is not in the business of marketing to adults. It cannot sell advertising space for companies that sell to adults because it's not part of its general business structure. Adults are also more likely to watch it online, which skips commercials. Basically, they're probably LOSING money on Avatar and trying to figure out a way to stop that from happening, and burning off episodes as quickly as possible wasn't working for them, so they're pausing to do some thinking.
So basically the same reason why Cartoon Network hosed over Symbiotic Titan and the DCAU stuff?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

Just another instance of the positively bizarre impulse all the animation-carrying networks have been exhibiting for years of self-sabotage and spite. Young Justice, Green Lantern, Scooby-Doo Mystery Incorporated, the DCAU, all that stuff - treated like garbage for no discernible reason.
The reason is that they are pissy that no one who watches the shows buys the toys from the ads because they want a certain demo.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

i hate meatloaf posted:

This is the television industry; they'll just decide that female lead action cartoons don't work.

Or maybe they're banking on the fan outrage boosting ratings once it's shown again on TV this fall. :tinfoil:
Not just the TV industry, seeing how we still haven't gotten a Wonder Woman film.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

Yeah, you'd think that. Then you realize how horribly CN treated Justice League Unlimited
And Samurai Jack, and Symbiotic Titan (which did Enders Game better than the movie), and Young Justice, and Green Lantern TAS. Come to think of it, wasn't CN doing really bad compared to Nick and Disney (another channel that really fucks over good cartoons see: Gravity Falls :argh:) business wise a few years ago?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

X_Toad posted:

I think Verrick is coming up to some comeuppance soon : Bolin has rejected his relationship advices, he's been shown to be an idiot with his ridiculous airbender detector and, most importantly, Zhu Li is starting to show signs of weariness. He loses her, he's done for, I think.
Gets arrested and has to go to court where Gary Cole will voice the judge is what I hope

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

TheModernAmerican posted:

No one said anything about a giant Mad Max reference :allears:
You know I've seen some people call out that reference as lame and cliche, but really if you are going to do impoverished biker raiders, you can't go wrong with Mad Max biker raiders. :colbert:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I knew that the Red Lotus were anti-establishment! Didn't expect Zaheer to straight up be Senator Armstrong, tho
I kinda super agree to their point about the White Lotus, tho.
Now we really know why Platinum is making a game for them :v:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

You know I just realized how ingenious it was to have the antagonists be anarchists what with the whole 1920s type setting.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Zaheer's plan involves the complete dissolution of leadership. He actively says he doesn't believe in the idea of monarchy, for example, and we saw him planning to assassinate the democratically elected leader of Republic City. He doesn't just want freedom, he wants the destruction of governments. Even if you dropped the regicide, the elimination of elected leadership enforced by a demigod doesn't really sound like a good thing unless you're extreme libertarian.

I do think Korra is going to change by the end of the season but I don't think it will by adopting Zaheer's goals and ideas.
And really you can take out as many leaders you want and allow people to choose their own paths of freedom, it isn't going to stop the driven and ambitious to take control of a group and start to form nations.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Shabadu posted:

He's trying to play a more enlightened kind of anarchist, not his normal fast angertalking. It works for me even if he could put a little more emotion into some lines.
Everytime he goes on a monologue I can only think of "Liar"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awY1MRlMKMc

Plus he already did a fast angertalking anarchist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFpE_iNtWAo

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Aug 9, 2014

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Jimbot posted:

It's not quite political. They tend to exaggerate features, embiggen them and use visual metaphor rather than state "this guy is a communist" and "These are the peoples". I'd love to see some fan art like that.
All it needs is a fat guy in the lower right corner saying a bad pun and it's a perfect Kelly,.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Superstring posted:

That's another reason to have Bumi be part of the fight. This is a fight involving all three of Aang and Katara's kids you guys! How cool is that!? They're over the hill (Bumi is retired for chrissake) but they're going down fighting four of the toughest benders we've ever seen to give their dad's dream a chance.
I don't think Tenzin is that over the hill really

Azubah posted:

I can't wait to see the Red Lotus get ruined, I'm tired of them winning all of their fights.
Hey at least they are actively fighting and not sending proxies while at the end of each episode go "Everything is going according to plan"

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Can I also say the music during the action scenes was amazing, that actually made me even more engrossed listening in the episodes.

Also I know everyone here is thinking Air Nation becoming the Justice League/Batmen, but for me the first thing that popped in my head was MSF from Metal Gear and I suddenly pictured Snake/Big Boss as an airbender with him talking in Metal Gear dialogue for everything

Also I think Varrick has a solution to Korra's problem if its permanent:

:getin:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Wildeyes posted:

I'm saying they won't have a queen anymore. They'll transition into a democracy.

Electing Suyin, who is leader of an Earth Kingdom city, is like having a governor get elected president. Which happens.
If anything there will probably be fracturing of the Earth Kingdom since isn't it pretty large?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

raspy trashfucker posted:

what is a platinum game
A game made by the people who created the greatest boss of all time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mALkd3DG6HA

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Aug 23, 2014

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

So It Goes posted:

What a crazy improvement for this show. I wonder what changed in the development of this show to make it improve so much over season 1 and 2. I guess they listened to feedback about those seasons.

The most underrated part of this season was the new "fighting" music used throughout this season. Does anyone know what that song is called? It was used in pretty much every episode that had a fight.
Didn't they get a bunch of writers from the original series back after they were gone in seasons 1 & 2?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

MacBook Air Gamer posted:

Probably sadness at being so helpless and weak that others have to step up and bear her responsibility of keeping the peace/balance, as well as joy for seeing the Air Nomads flourishing again after nearly 200 years.
That last shot also really sums up Legend of Korra's relationship with Nick. :v:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

AshB posted:

P'Li was the weirdest character to me all season. She was just a prop, really. Hardly ever said a word and just blew things up. Her only purpose other than fighting was to die to make Zaheer stronger.
I liked how much taller she was compared to Zaheer, for some reason that made me laugh when they were together in the temple

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

That said she was pretty weak as a character for someone who was so important to Zaheer. It really would have helped if she got a little bit of time to herself the way the other members did.
Maybe there will be a flashback episode to explain all the backstories of the four now that they got Zaheer.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

I'm wondering how in season 4 they are going to get Korra out of the wheelchair, personally I'm hoping for Rocky montage.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Egregious Offences posted:

Although the Red Lotus don't really have a name for their ideology, I wouldn't be surprised if it's used to "poison the well" whenever someone voices an opinion that could be tenuously related to it.

Especially since the United Republic is slowly entering the era of mass media, I could see some political pundit jabbering on the radio about how "Candidate X must be some Red Lotus sympathizer, with his constant whining about our (hypothetical) President's 'Authoritarian abuse of executive power'. I bet he keeps a little book of quotes by the so-called 'Guru' Laghima to break out whenever he make those speeches of his, amirite?"
You could say its the beginning of a Red Scare :smug:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

PupsOfWar posted:

Ozai would have been pretty terrible if he were the only antagonist, but, considering that he was just the unifying authority behind an extensive cast of much more colorful villains, it was fine. He didn't need to be either colorful or sympathetic because we had other people for that.
That and he was voiced by Mark Hamill and by the end he is basically doing the Joker voice/maniacal laughter

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

Korra should get metal limbs or some kind of exoskeleton just like Combustion Man and become an awesome bending cyborg. :awesomelon:
Especially since mercury poisoning causes muscle atrophy anyway :stonk:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Filthy Casual posted:

Really hoping for a begrudging team-up with Zaheer in the series' finale vs. whatever super big bad guy they come up with. Speaking of, where are they gonna from here? I always wondered whether guns could be a factor in the show, it seems contrary to the spirit of the franchise, but at least Asami could have some meaningful participation in a major battle.
I honestly expect in the end to have the past lives restored in Korra's spirit even though that is probably a terrible thing to do.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

MrAristocrates posted:

This is getting really funny.
Its like Nick is either incompetent or really really bitter that LOK was not the success they thought it was going to be.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Applewhite posted:

Or!

Orrrrrrrrrrrr!

Post apocalyptic! All the fun of mideval times, and whatever trappings of civilization you feel like keeping.

Easily explained by having the Earthbending Cold-War Avatar gently caress things up royal.

Is anybody writing these ideas down? We need to send this in to Nick before they start working on the next cycle.
How about Post Post Apocalypse

Bending... bending never changes

Ron Perlman is pretty cheap so they can even get him to be a villain/anti-hero.

Oh wait they already got him before, eh Clancy Brown is probably easy to get a hold of.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

MrAristocrates posted:

Should we even bother with a new thread for that then?
I mean we could just change the thread title then

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Ravane posted:

Hop Hop Hoppity
Jumped 100 times.

That is the dumbest achievement I have ever seen.
Eh Saint's Row IV had it as an achievement so why not

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

I kind of want to see something new from Bryan and Mike after Avatar; I mean they've done Eastern Mythology/fantasy why not do a thing that's a bit more... classical?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

Excellent post/avatar combo.

Also, it'd be pretty cool to see a cartoon show with an Avatar-like arc-based story based on Classical mythology (yes, yes, I've seen Disney's Hercules and all that).
I mean all you have to do is change away all the rape origins and it could work. Jason and the Argonauts could work or the Odyssey or the Trojan Cycle; I mean Hollywood has already hosed up that easy money train of making a LOTR style Trojan War movie, so why not making an animated version in the style of Avatar?

• Locked thread