Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

The grand city of Eridania is a triumph of the modern age! Here all the species live together in peace, prosperity and even opulence. The most potent magics and sagest sciences make the city the place to be!

Which means it can get kind of boring after a while, and besides, a place where you never really want for anything makes for an awful story. Which is why you're going somewhere else!

Here, specifically. Verde Town is the last place on the road out to the edge of the Great Plateau. The village nestles in the roots of one of the world trees, the vast pillars that hold up the sky.

Your reasons are your own, but you all have one thing in common - your time has come to begin a great journey!

-

Let's learn to play Ryuutama. The hard way! I mostly have an idea of what I'm trying to do. Let's stick our collective hands in the blender and see what happens!

Any character type is open. Along with your backstory, I want your reason as to why you're headed to Verde Town. A picture wouldn't go amiss, either.

You've got about a week to finish your applications.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
I'm down for this if just to use the copy of the game I bought for another PbP. I need to dig around in the book and remember all the weird fiddly bits but expect a farmer here soonish.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.
Oooooh yes please. I'll get a character up in the next couple of days.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

I'm interested too; I'll try and whip up a character soon.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Yes. I'm in.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

How many players are you taking? I'd like to know how much money to put toward a Party Kit. (I'm assuming everyone will want to put in for one.)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
This is very much my jam, I'm in.

Ergonomix
Apr 14, 2009

pffffff

Ilaria

Ilaria's parents run a small shop in the lower parts of Eridania. They mostly deal in the normal, everyday things people need but their position near the edge of town means travelers sometimes drop by looking to sell off bits and curios they find on their journeys. These were always the things she found most interesting, even if they seemed useless.

One day, a mysterious woman came in and dropped off a necklace without a word. Thinking she had forgotten it, Ilaria ran after her to give it back, but the woman was already on her horse and heading out the gate. A more sensible person might have assumed the necklace was cursed and gotten rid of it, but Ilaria is not that person.

Now, as a young adult, she has grown tired of manning the counter and stocking the shelves and seeks to go out on her own and find new curios and things in new places. She scraped together her wages from working in the shop and set off. Of course it's just a coincidence Verde Town happens to be in the direction the mysterious woman left.

pre:
Class: Merchant
Type: Magic

STR: 4
DEX: 6
INT: 8
SPI: 6

HP: 8
MP: 12

Mastered Weapon: Bow
Favorite Item: Mysterious Necklace

Inventory:
148 gold
Large Backpack (Holds 10)
Sleeping Bag
Utensils
Waterskin
Rations x2
Quill Pen
Leather Notebook
Umbrella
Pack Animal
Traveler's Clothes

Incantation Magic:
Arrow Compass
Shooting Star

Seasonal Magic: Winter

Ergonomix fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jun 28, 2014

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Curses from all directions!
Marin wasn't a character I was entirely happy with. If she was a character I wouldn't invite to a game, then she wasn't a character worth apping with. I'm terribly sorry.

bahamut fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Jul 1, 2014

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Yeah, sorry to everyone that my previous Ryuutama game was painfully shortlived. I'll be making a character for this when I have a moment later tonight.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Zoch Amran, Healer

Zoch grew up in Phon, a small coastal town. Though he was the son of a fisherman and a housewife, his interests lay more in studying local flora and fauna than sitting in a boat all day. His mind was keen enough that he was accepted as a student by the village healer, along with two other local children. He took to the work with gusto, and within ten years was permitted to open his own practice. But Zoch had other plans. Phon was a small village; it didn't need three healers.

So Zoch packed up his few meager possessions and set off toward the Great Plateau. Verde Town itself surely had enough healers, but the Plateau itself - well, it's an unexplored frontier. Who knows what sorts of life it might have, just waiting to be catalogued?

pre:
Character Name: Zoch Amran
Sex: Male
Level: 1
XP: 0/100
Class: Healer
Type: Attack
Mastered Weapon: Light Blade, Blade
Specialized Weather/Topography: -
Favorite Item: His notebook, containing sketches of the various exotic plants and
               animals he's encountered.

STR     DEX     INT     SPR
d6      d4+     d8      d6

HP: 16/16       MP: 12/12
Condition: 11   Fumble Points: 1
Initiative: d4+d8

Skill          Stats Used     Effect
Healing        Int + Spi      Use 1 healing herb & 1 water.  Restore HP equal to 
                              roll.
First Aid      Int + Spi      Relieve a target's status ailment for 1 hour, &
                              reduce its target number by own level.
Herb Gathering Str + Int      Find a single healing herb.  Use once per day, 
                              before the day's Movement Check.
Toughness      NA             +4 HP
Power          NA             +1 to Accuracy and Damage rolls.
Focus          NA             Gain an additional mastered weapon.

Weapon          Acc            Dmg     Dur     Effect
Knife           Dex + Int +1   Int -1  1/1

Armor           Def     Pen     Dur     Effect
Traveller's
  Clothes       -       -       3/3
Uncool Light
  Shield        -       -       3/3     Shield Defense Value 7

Outfit          Effect

Other Equipment          Size     Dur     Effect
Large Backpack           5        5/5     Capacity 10 (Used 8)
  Sleeping Bag           1        1/1
  Wooden Utensils        1        1/1
  Leather Notebook       1        1/1
  Quill Pen              1        1/1
  Waterskin              1        1/1     Holds 1 day's water
  Herb Bottle            3        3/3     Keeps 10 herbs fresh; usable for 7 
                                          days once opened
    Princess Apple x1    1
Ration x4              1 (4)

38 GP

Notes

5-Headed Snake God fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jul 23, 2014

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Let's do this!

Jorda Kade: Hunter of wild and crazy things!

The city life just isn't for some people. Well, that's not right. He's not some grunting savage leaping from tree to tree. Jorda likes the city just fine, he has no real objection to it, he just likes it best when it stays on its side of things and he can have his fun in the woods.

He comes from a long line of hunters, and gamblers, and drunks, and degenerates, more or less anyone who was the type to get pushed as far from the city as possible while not being properly 'exiled' can be found in his stock. He doesn't have a great deal of shame for his family name, though, sure he has a good bit of uncles and such he'd rather ignore, but for the most part he thinks things are just fine in the old family tree, if a bit rowdy at family reunions.

Ever since he was small he was taken on his father's hunts. On paper this was because the boy needed to learn the trade and all that, but really it was mainly because he needed an extra pair of eyes when he was a few bottles deep. Lucky enough young Jorda loved the trips, he got a real appreciation for nature in them. Just because he makes his living hunting doesn't mean he has any disdain for the animals he tracks after all. If anything, to him, it's a great experience, fighting bigger and more dangerous prey, bringing the pelts and meat and assorted trophies into the city to fill his wallet, then promptly spending the wallet on booze and food and other celebrations of a hunt well done.

Still, that life may have been good enough for most of his kin, but to him that was just the first step. He could stay in his comfy little cabin near the city, sure, he could hunt the lush forests and make a good living selling fresh game (and a few bragging rights trophies) to the rich folks and that's a just fine way to live, but it wasn't good enough for him. His mother always said he was born different than his siblings, maybe she just meant his magical calling (while hardly a 'mage' compared to most, he did have a knack for some things), maybe she meant his thrill seeking that prompted him to do things like rile up an angry boar to see if he could take it, or maybe she just meant he was a little bit of a dumbass. Regardless, all of those could be considered true for him.

What drove him to travel? Well, he's not that complex really. He doesn't care a ton about his time in Verde Town, he's mainly out to see the Great Plateau and see what kind of wild and savage beasts lay in wait there. Besides, the bigger and badder and stranger the prey, the bigger the rewards, be it in bounties, the sale of exotic pelts, or just good old fashioned treasure hordes! If he can make it through this little burst of wanderlust with his body in tact and a nice sum to retire on, he'll consider it a win.

pre:
Name: Jorda Kade
Class: Hunter
Mastered Weapon: Polearm
Favorite Item: A pair of his father's lucky (rigged) dice, currently tied around the end of his spear.

HP: 12
MP: 16

STR: 6
DEX: 8
INT: 6
SPI: 4

Skills
Animal Tracking: STR+INT when finding a monster's tracks to find its location and get +1 to damage against them.

Material Collection: DEX+INT after defeating a monster to harvest materials.

Hunting: DEX+INT before Camp check to get rations equal to target number, but cannot participate in Camp check.
                Critical: All food is Delicious
                Fumble: Receive [Injury: 6]

Will: Max MP +4

Spellbook: Get 2 Incantation spells per level.

Seasonal Sorcerer: Get Seasonal Magic.

Weapons and Armor:

Long Spear (Polearm): Accuracy: DEX+STR, Damage: STR +1

Gear:

Traveler's Clothes
Basic Kit: (Large Backpack, Sleeping Bag, wooden utensils, waterskin, rations x2)
Quill Pen
Leather Notebook
Alcohol x3
Soap
Sun Visor (+1 in heat)
Umbrella (+1 to Movement checks in rain or sunny days)
Hiking Staff (+1 in rocky/mountain terrain)

333 Gold

Spells:

Pure Crystal Light: 2 MP, cause 1 tool to turn crystallized and glow with light of a lantern, 12 hour duration.

Alert Bell Alarm: 4 MP, summon a bell that sounds alarm if a monster comes within 10m of it, Camp Check +1

Seasonal Magic: Fall

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Lynn Nacia, Attack Noble

When I was a child, my parents would often leave on journeys. They always told me where they were going, and how long until they would be back. They arranged for their friends and neighbors to watch over me and my two younger siblings, and to make sure we kept up with our studies. I was loneliest during those times, so nervous that they would never come back. But they always returned, bringing exotic gifts with them, and then I would count the days until they had to leave again.

I remember there was one time they came back home late, and when they came back I ran to them with tears in my eyes. I was afraid they had gotten lost. My mother held me close as she carried me to bed. She apologized because they had indeed gotten lost, and they wandered and wandered. But all lost souls eventually find their way to the World Tree and rest underneath its leaves. From there they knew the way back home, and came back as soon as they could.

Three years ago they left on another journey. It was always sad seeing them go, but this time felt different. They didn't tell me where they were going. They didn't tell me when they were coming back. They just told me to be a good girl...so I waited. And waited. Seasons passed. Our lives had fallen into a lonely normality. But I couldn't take it. My younger brother and sister are old enough to take care of themselves now. So I gathered my things, it was time for me to leave on a journey of my own. I'm not sure where I will be going, or when I'll be back, but I will return with Mother and Father. They're gone, and lost again. But I know where they will be.

All lost souls eventually find their way to the World Tree and rest beneath its leaves.

pre:
Name: Lynn Nacia
Class: Noble
Type: Attack
Mastered Weapon: Polearm +1, Bow
Favorite Item: Pillow, which I've used ever since I was too little to remember.

HP: 16
MP: 8

STR: 6
DEX: 8
INT: 6
SPI: 4

Attack
Toughness: Max HP +4
Power: +1 to Combat checks (Accuracy + Damage)
Focus: Gain 1 more Mastered Weapon: (Bow)

Noble
Etiquette: DEX+INT to leave a positive impression on someone of high rank/status

Trivia: INT+INT to know detailed information about the things you see or hear.

Weapon Grace: (Polearm) becomes an additional Mastered Weapon. 
If already a Mastered Weapon, gain +1 bonus to Accuracy checks.

Weapons and Armor:

Polearm: Accuracy: DEX+STR +2, Damage: STR +2

Gear: 6/9 Carried

Beautiful Traveler's Clothes (100) 3 Size
Polearm (350) 3 Size

Bad Attitude Curious  Pack Animal Chocobo (350): 5/15 Carried
Wooden Chest (10) 5 Size; Contains 3/15
-- Sleeping Bag (50) 1 Size
-- Cute Pillow <3 (20) 1 Size
-- Utensils (10) 1 Size

110 Gold left for odds and ends
Will worry about Rations/Water once we have picks.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
I lied, have an Artisan instead with a side of :words:. The gaunt look in this picture was far too fitting to pass up so I'm just going with the idea that those incredibly doofy clothes are 'intentional'.

Vigdís, Technical Artisan, Leatherworker from the Arctic North

Hailing from the far north near the border between the generally-liveable snowlands and entirely barren icelands, Vigdis follows in her father's footsteps and works in the trade of fending off the deadly cold. While still young and inexperienced, insulation is in constant need of repair and Vigdis' work manages to
sell fairly well.

Were she fully dedicated to her craft she would take the place of her father in his older years. Instead, she finds herself shoving travel supplies into a bag and staring out at the snow's soft descent. Everyone says the dead white expanse is the fastest way to kill a cat's curiosity, but the town's wives found plenty to gossip about as Vigdis loaded her belongings onto a dogsled headed to the border between white and green.

What's the green world look like? You can't see it across the snowy white no matter how hard you squint, but everyone says it's there. The world trees can't take root in the icelands, so it only makes sense that they're out there somewhere in the green, but the very thought of verdant greens seems like just a fantasy. Vigdis had never felt particularly confined before, but the more she thought about the green the more she got restless, and half a month later found herself standing in those very lands.

The allure of the grand cities and centers of civilization was lost on her; Vigdis wanted to see where the green began, and find out why it wouldn't paint the snowlands or thaw the icelands. She kept a fair bit more quiet about her goal after being laughed out of her first tavern, though.

pre:
Mastered Weapon: Light Blade
	Knives are critical in Vigdis' work, as with many crafts. Handling a head knife doesn't confer much in
	the way of combat skills, but she at least feels comfortable holding a good knife.

Favorite Item: Father's Leatherworking Kit
	Vigdis was given this by her father when he deemed her 'ready' to do more than simple cuts or sewing
	that he would ask of her. Seeing it as a symbol of her shift into adulthood, Vigdis has maintained
	this kit extremely well and nearly all of the small tools in this belt pouch remain from when it was
	given to her.

STR: d6
DEX: d8
INT: d6
SPR: d4

HP: 12

Skills:

Material Collection: DEX+INT to collect materials from defeated monsters
Crafting (Camping Supplies): STR+DEX to make Camping Supplies, half cost and requires a number of
 days equal to size of item
Repair: STR+DEX to repair item, 10% cost and requires a number of days equal to size of item
Accurate: +1 when using Concentration.
Quick: +1 Initiative
Pocket: +3 Carry Capacity

0 Gold
	Of all the things to have forgotten at home, Vigdis had forgotten her coinpouch. The dogsledder had
	given her enough to get by out of pity for her misfortune.

Capacity: 12/12

Worn Head Knife (Used Light Blade) 0g [1]
	From the leatherworking kit given to Vigdis by her father. The blade has been well kept, but the knife
	more than shows its age.

Vigdis' Separates (Uncool Traveling Clothes) 40g [3]
	While her attempt to make something suitable to the climate she was admirable, the clothes Vigdis made
	are regrettably nothing like what the people of the greenlands wear.

Wolf's Stand Hairclip (Accessory) 50g [1]
	An embossed leather hairclip displays the insignia of Vigdis' hometown: A wolf whose open mouth
	displays a fishing hook, head knife and miner's pick in place of fangs, symbolizing the town's four
	primary trades.

Waterskin [1]
	Keeping water insulated from the cold to prevent it from freezing was important in the snowlands, but
	the extent of this insulation doesn't quite match with the warmer climate of the greenlands.

Heavy Woolen Cap 200g [1]
	A cap Vigdis' mother knitted especially for her. She likes to pull it over her eyes when she feels sleepy, which is 
	terribly often.

Hefty Haversack (Large Backpack) 150g (Basic Kit) [5 (10/10)]
	Made from pelts of the common white wolf hunted in the snowlands, Vigdis put this together as her
	first project after being given her leatherworking kit. The design is simplistic, but the pelts may
	look a fair bit out of place in the greenlands.

Wolf Pelt Blankets (Sleeping Bag) [1]
	Mostly just a bundle of soft pelts, Vigdis quickly realized she had brought far too many with her for
	such a warm climate.

Wooden Utensils [1]
	"Stop eating with your hands." - Vigdis's Father

Pickled Fish (Rations x2) [2]
	Vigdis had been hoping for salted meats.

Shatter Pick (Snowcutter Staff) 280g [3]
	These long picks are essential to long distance travel in the snowlands to handle any poor situations.
	A misplaced sense of need led to Vigdis keeping hers rather than sending it back with the dogsledder,
	but she's since regretted keeping the heavy thing around with her.

Vigdis' Parka (Arctic Cape) 160g [3]
	Out of both attachment to them and a feeling that she might need them again, Vigdis kept her old
	clothes as well.

sentrygun fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jul 5, 2014

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Ossry Kalders

Farming is in Ossry's blood. His father is a farmer, his brothers are farmers, his grandfather was a farmer, and so was his grandfather's father and grandfather, and so on. Everyone in the family for as far back as anyone could remember has been a farmer. Ossry is fine with this, for the most part. He enjoys farming, he is good at it and well it is tradition. Its just that sometimes he would wonder about what is out there beyond the farm and the nearby village.

You see Ossry has never traveled, at least not beyond the nearby village, but he has heard wild tales from travelers stopping at the inn in the village. No Ossry has been bound to his father's farm all his life. He was given a small plot of land to grow his own garden, and a small watering tin, as a young boy and he watered it well and kept careful care. He moved on to watering the fields, and eventually to planting and harvesting as he grew older. Farming is all he knows, well that and a little bit of cooking though he isn't as good as his mother.

But Ossry is getting to that age, and well the farm has plenty of hands to keep it well tended, and one of his older brothers is going to take over eventually. So Ossry isn't really needed and his parents, after quite a bit of discussion, have decided to grant him the chance to head out into the world on his own to set up his own farm somewhere with plenty of land. Of course they are quite worried about him, and don't really know what he will come across far from home, so they have scrimped and saved, and gotten the family to build what they could, until they could outfit him properly before seeing him off.

Now Ossry is traveling the roads in search of a new land, a new home, where he could set up his own farm. And well if he has some adventures before finally settling down? His parents don't need to know. He has already begun to hear about Verde Town and how it is the last place on the road out to the edge of the Great Plateau. It sounds like a great place to seek adventure, and a good place to set up a farm when he finally decides to settle down like his parents expected. And so he has made his way there, with a few setbacks here and there, his already light purse all the lighter, but at least he hasn't lost any of the gear his parents and family gave him.

pre:
Character Name: Ossry Kalders
Sex: Male
Level: 1
XP: 0/100
Class: Farmer
Type: Technical

Mastered Weapon: Axe
	There are many tools that Ossry has learned to use over the years, shovels and various blades, but only one 
	really makes a good weapon.  And that would be the axe his father used to keep.  Though it may be some time 
        before he stops trying to cut things down as if he was chopping wood.

Favorite Item: Battered Watering Tin
	As a young boy Ossry was given a watering tin so that he could keep his own garden, and learn how to help his
        father with watering the crops.  It was the start of his own lifetime of farming.  To this day he still 
	keeps it with him everywhere he goes.  Though it has grown rather battered and beaten in the years since
	then.

STR: d8
DEX: d6
INT: d6
SPR: d4

HP: 16

Skills:

Robust: +1 bonus to Condition Check, everyday.  +3 bonus to Carrying Capacity.
Animal Owner: You can keep 2 more animals for a total of 3.
Side-Job: Use a single skill from another class with a -1 penalty.  Crating (food) selected, -1 included already.
Crafting (Food): STR+DEX-1 to make Food, half cost and requires a number of
 days equal to size of item
Accurate: +1 when using Concentration.
Quick: +1 Initiative
Pocket: +3 Carry Capacity

10 Gold
	Ossry has left home with quite a few things, but among those things there is one thing he decidedly 
	lacks, and that is any coin.  His parents spared a great deal to help him head out on his own, but
        they had no coin to give him.

Capacity: 11/17

Father's Axe (Axe) 0g [3]
	The wood axe Ossry's father used to use, given to him by his father when he left to make his own way
	in the world.

Threadbare Clothes (Uncool Traveling Clothes) 40g [3]
	Ossry doesn't have any fancy clothes, just the old and serviceable clothes he wore on the farm.  They
	aren't fashionable, but they are useful for work, or travel.

His mother's Care Package (Basic Kit)  150g [5]
	Before setting out Ossry received a handstiched backpack from his mother.  She called it a care package,
	and within the backpack he found a rolled up sleeping bag to keep him warm on cold nights, some 
	wooden utensils so that he can always have some when he needs to eat on the road, a full waterskin
        so that he has something to drink, and to carry more water later on, and a few days worth of her sandwiches.

Lucky and the load (Party Kit) 800g 
	Ossry's parents were kind enough to give him one of their old horses, Lucky, loaded up with just about 
	everything else they thought he might need.  This includes a barrel to transport even more water, or 
        perhaps something else like his own crops once he gets started.  A wooden chest where he can keep
        much of his things if he has to stay at an inn, or anywhere else where he might want to secure things.
        A small kit of tools for repairing various things, always useful if a shovel or cart breaks.  A couple
        torches in case he needs any light when traveling late at night.  And of course a firestarter kit
        to light said torches, or to light a campfire when he settles in at night.  Some soap, and a washing
        kit, so he can keep clean on the road.  His mother insisted.  And of course a tent so he can keep
        dry, and warmer, should the weather turn.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Maleketh posted:

How many players are you taking? I'd like to know how much money to put toward a Party Kit. (I'm assuming everyone will want to put in for one.)

Four or five, depending on who I pick out and who I think would go well together. That kind of stuff can be hashed out after characters are chosen.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Name: Alan Reiner

Class: Merchant

Type: Technical

Stats:
Str: 4
Dex: 4
Int: 8
Spi: 8

Mastered Weapon: Light Blade

Favorite Item: Silver Ring from his Fiancé

Inventory: Dagger, Uncool clothes, Walking Stick, Basic Pack, Pack Animal, 260g (will put in 200 for a Party Pack)

Background

Nobody would suspect that mild-mannered, easygoing Al Reiner was a shrewd businessman on first meeting him, but his head for numbers and seemingly unflappable demeanor lend themselves well to the art of deal-making. Born and raised in Eridania, his parents spent everything they had sending Al to the best schools in the city, ensuring he received a good education. This has opened up many opportunities for Al, and he intends to put what he learned to good use. In his short time as a merchant, he has already made enough that he was able to ensure that his parents would be able to live out the remainder of their lives in relative comfort.

Al's reason for setting off on a journey is as old as time itself. He wishes to find his fortune on the road, so that he can return home and settle down with his childhood sweetheart, Nina. The silver ring he always wears is a parting gift from her, a constant reminder of his promise to come back for her. She insisted that money wasn't important, but Al's wish is for his future family to want for nothing, and it's clear that he'll never make that sort of money by staying in Eridania.

Al has a gentle and laid-back personality, at least on the surface. His frail figure and serene disposition, however, belie his iron resolve and keen mind. He tends to take personal responsibility for his companions, always trying to take care of them. This can often fall more on the side of meddling than genuine help, but his concern is sincere. His attitude is usually cheerful and optimistic, and he holds out hope even in the worst situations. He has a hobby of writing bad romantic poetry in his free time, and shows no sign of either improving or giving up. He chose Verde Town as his first destination simply because it struck him as more profitable. World Trees tend to attract travelers and pilgrims, which Al believes will lead to more business opportunities.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Getting close to that deadline! If you're hanging on to an application, now's the time to get it in.

Ergonomix, what's the weirdest non-pendant item Ilaria's done trade in?

Maleketh, the land beyond the Great Plateau may as well be the end of the world. What drives Zoch to leave everything behind?

Tatum, when Jorda wants to impress someone, what hunting story does he tell people?

Krysmphoenix, what did Lynn do to make sure her siblings were taken care of before she left?

Sentrygun, how'd Vigdis convince her dad to let her out into the world when an extra hand in the shop can make or break a particular winter?

Ryuujin, what's the first thing in a potential farm Ossry looks for?

Eclectic, say Al settles down in Verde Town, what's his business plan? Does he have one?

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

grassy gnoll posted:

Maleketh, the land beyond the Great Plateau may as well be the end of the world. What drives Zoch to leave everything behind?

That's not how Zoch sees it. Saying farewell to his parents was difficult, but apart from them there's nothing for him in his hometown. No business, no close friends, no new plants and animals to catalog, and no real future. Maybe the Great Plateau is the end of the world. But if so, just imagine what lives there! What sorts of exotic creatures would call the very edge of the world their home? The very thought of it excites Zoch enough to make him forget all of his apprehension.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
Vigdis' father taught her well, and that included his sheer disdain at letting people do things any way but his way. Vigdis was at odds with her father's design decisions enough that she rarely worked on his own projects once she was given her own tools and a bit more freedom. While she might not have had experience or even sound reason behind her decisions, she was stubborn enough to stick with them regardless. Vigdis leaving meant more work for her father, but she wasn't under any obligation to stay and what work would have been contracted under her would simply shift to her father or either of the other two noted leatherworkers and laborers who would work under them.

That, and her parents both sort of expected her to get to the greenlands, panic, and arrive back with the dogsledder at the end of the month exclaiming as if she'd made some sort of grand expedition despite her usually dour attitude. If she did decide to go through with her little dream, that would show she had enough conviction to do it right.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Jorda's go-to impressive hunting tale is the story of his very first hunt alone. He was just a lad, 13. No wait, 12. No, he was 10 if he was a year. His father handed him his very own spear, carved and sharpened just for him, and told him 'son, you're a man now, it's time to hunt like a man'. It sounded noble and deep, in most families that'd be a touching bonding moment of father and son, but really for him the end result was being locked out of the house until he came back with a more respectable trophy than varmints and birds. He journeyed deep into the woods, mustering every bit of courage he had and making his way to the lair of a great beast nearby. No, it wasn't a beast, it was more like a monster.

The beast inside was massive, covered in fur like little pricks of black iron buried in its body. Its eyes were burning orbs of fire and hate, and its massive tusks were enough to gore five full grown men each! Its hooves crashed on the rock with each step, mighty obsidian clubs cracking and shattering the land around it as it advanced, and fire came bursting from its massive snout as it let out a warning snort, daring young Jorda to stay and fight.

I mean sure it LOOKS like a boar of average size, but that's just the form monsters like it take when they're slain, everyone knows that.

It was a long fight, a brutal one (hey, embellishments or not, boars are mean bastards), Jorda was left with a fairly nasty wound on his side and a badly bruised up arm, but he returned home with a corpse worthy of a hunter. Still has the head too, mounted above his bed, when he comes back home with his piles of cash, that's the one thing from home he knows he's gonna take when he gets his own mansion...

He loves telling the story, and every time he tells it the boar gets bigger and his wounds he powers through get worse, but it, at its core, is true, and it was a very shaping event in his life. It taught him to respect nature, because nature has no problem killing him, but most importantly it was the first time he felt the thrill of fighting a real prey. It could have killed him easily, but it didn't, and no matter what embellishments he adds to the story, at the end of the day it didn't, and he felt powerful and excited for the first time in his life.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

grassy gnoll posted:

Eclectic, say Al settles down in Verde Town, what's his business plan? Does he have one?

Well, the business plan is really to keep traveling. He's planning on doing as much business as he can while he's in bustling Verde Town, in order to fund further adventuring, but what he's really looking for is stuff you can't get sitting around town buying and selling wolf pelts. Rare herbs, hidden treasures, ancient artifacts, powerful magic, if it commands a high price back in town, he's hoping to find it, and willing to brave any danger for the chance. He's not done until he's made one million gold pieces, and that's not the sort of money you can make standing still. You hardly make any money if you buy the items from adventurers, you have to become an adventurer yourself if you want real profits.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

grassy gnoll posted:

Krysmphoenix, what did Lynn do to make sure her siblings were taken care of before she left?

Two things, mostly. I had been wanting to go out and find them ever since I had a feeling they weren't coming back this time. But at the time I couldn't leave my younger brother and sister. We still lived in the same house, so we adjusted. As the years went by they both learned to do their schoolwork every day without being reminded five times, and started to rely on me a little bit less. I know they'll be sad and difficult to see me go, but if I can come back with our parents...it'll be worth it.

Besides, whenever my parents were gone on a trip, their friends and neighbors would always check in on us. Once they realized too that this time they might not come back, they stepped in a bit more. In their travels, my parents met a lot of very interesting people from around the world, and just as often as my parents traveled these other travelers would visit in return. Even with my parents gone, other travelers still stop by every now and then bringing foods from distant lands or exotic gifts. I suspect some of them see it as a way to repay the favors my parents did for them, and others just out of sympathy to give a few orphaned children a better time.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Absolute last minute hail-mary app go!

Capella Azure, Musical Mage!

Capella always to be a archwizard, like her mother. Her mother passed when she was very young, but her father raised her to be forthright and heroic. He taught her of song and dance, his own vocation, but she wasn't content with busking in taverns.

Ultimately, Capella wanted to be an arch wizard too. She learned what she could from books, but most magic books are owned by wizards.

So when she was old enough, she travelled to the greatest archwizard she knew, the Grandiose Rendolo! Rendolo snorted and told her that he'd teach her if she found one thing: a Black Pheenix's feather. And so Capella set out to find just that.

He failed to tell her there are no Black Pheenixes.

Ever since then, she's travelled, looking high and low for her quarry. Civilization seems to be lacking in Pheenixes, much less Black ones, so she's having to set out on a journey across the wild. One day, she'll find it! After all, she's immensely hard to discourage from her path. Others have laughed at her. That's okay. The path to be an archwizard is tough!

She just needs a little help on the way, is all!

pre:

Class: Minstrel

STR: 4	DEX: 6	INT: 8	SPI: 6

HP: 8	MP: 16

Mastered Weapon: Light Blade (Accuracy: 15, Damage: 7)

Favorite Item: The old book of spells she learned from.

Skills
Well-Traveled
Knowledge of Tradition 16
Music 12

Abilities
Will
Spellbook
Seasonal Sorcerer: Spring

Inventory (45g)
Traveler's Clothes, Beautiful
Light Blade, Used
Walking Shoes, Used
Windbreaker
Basic Kit

Spells
Pure Crystal Light
Cure Touch

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Okay, applications are closed a little later than I anticipated due to fuckery at work. Decision later this evening, thread to follow.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

gently caress it, we have eight applicants, I'll ruin run two games at once.

Game 1 -

Ergonomix as Ilaria, magic merchant.
ARB as Capella Azure, yep, she's a bard
Ryuujin as Ossry Kalders, farmer
Krysmphoenix as Lynn Nacia, probably Batman

Game A -

Maleketh as Zoch Amaran, roving doctor
Tatum Girlparts as Jorda Kade, hunter of pretty much any drat thing
Sentrygun as Vigdis, leatherworker and catgirl
EclecticTastes as Alan Reiner, merchant with someone at home

Be thinking about if you've joined up with someone prior to the events of the game, your impressions of the others, and any other kinda stuff that occurs to you after finding out your lineup.

Threads will be posted here when I make them, which should hopefully be either soon or in the morning.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

grassy gnoll posted:

Ryuujin, what's the first thing in a potential farm Ossry looks for?

Well first and foremost you have to have good soil. You can't really grow anything good unless the soil is good enough to support it. Of course a ready source of fresh water, wide open spaces, and protection from wild animals, are all things that would help. But in the end the most important thing is the soil.

grassy gnoll posted:

Game 1 -

She seems like a hard worker, and from merchant stock which in my experience is good people, she also seems rather determined. And she is always wearing a strange necklace, I wonder if there is anything special about it.

grassy gnoll posted:

She seems straightforward and honest, a good person, if perhaps a bit naive.

grassy gnoll posted:

Krysmphoenix as Lynn Nacia, probably Batman

She seems lonely and sad, troubled. She also seems like she may be from a high born family, so I am not sure how to interact with her.

Ergonomix
Apr 14, 2009

pffffff
Oh, whoops, I kind of forgot about answering my question. :blush:

Anyway, the weirdest thing she's ever seen in the shop was the talking doll. She should have known something was up by the traveler's tired eyes, but she figured it was just from a long time on the road. And besides, the way the doll talked like a happy child was cute. At first. By the time the evening rolled around, the reason for the traveler's eagerness to sell off the magic item was obvious: it wouldn't stop talking. Whoever had enchanted it had apparently forgotten to emulate the act of sleeping and so the doll continued talking all through the night, keeping Ilaria and her parents awake even in their rooms above the shop. Putting it in a box just made it cry, which was even worse.

Luckily, the next morning, they were able to bring it up to the hall of magicians and pawn it off on them just like the traveler had done. She has a feeling it's become a tradition to foist it off on unsuspecting initiates to this day.

Impressions:

Capella: She's traveled around a lot, like the adventurers Ilaria looked up to, so Ilaria might trust her judgement more than she really should.
Ossry: Don't really know what to think yet, but she respects people who do honest work.
Lynn: The highborn types always intimidated her, since they never really came around to her section of town. She'll probably be overly formal.

I also noticed Ryuujin already has the party pack in his inventory so we don't need to worry about splitting one, so thanks to him. :) Also, Ilaria's pack animal is an ox who she hasn't named yet, so she just calls him Ox. She's been trained to handle animals, but never really had one of her own.

Ergonomix fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jul 4, 2014

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Are we going to have a chance in-game to do last minute shopping or should I grabbing food and water for everyone?

quote:

She seems friendly enough. I think I may have seen other jewelry in a similar style before, but I have no idea where it's from either.

quote:

I could tell her that it's spelled p-h-o-e-n-i-x, but she's so devoted I think it might break her heart. Who knows, maybe it's a different kind of bird.

quote:

Ryuujin as Ossry Kalders, farmer
He knows what it's like to have to look after younger children too. He's a better cook than me too... maybe it comes from growing your own food?

Krysmphoenix fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jul 4, 2014

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

You'll have time to fuel up before you go.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Game A guys, I think we should definitely be putting in for a party kit. It'll be 200 GP a head - everyone in? I notice that Vigdis, at least, paid for her weapon, which isn't necessary since you get one for free.

Jorda: Find intresting things, and kill them? Seems like a waste to me. Still, we do share an interest in exotic creatures, so there's that.
Vigdis: Wow! I've never seen a cat-person who wasn't a koneko goblin! Fascinating!
Alan: Money seems like a boring reason to travel, but he seems like a really nice guy. I hope we can be good friends.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yay go A Team! I can chip in for a party kit too if needed.

Impressions:

Zoch: He does what? He just studies these things? So you're telling me if we come across some...I dunno, fire breathing bunny rabbit, this guy's gonna...what take a sketch of it and call it a day? He's not gonna try to get its head as a trophy? Well hey, I guess whatever floats your boat. Seems like a decent enough guy, and I gotta respect another guy who likes animals and nature even if he is a little wussy about it.

Vigdis: Now here's someone I can get on with. I gut em she tans em and we all have boots or whatever by morning, it's...whatchacallit...symbiosis! Plus she's a bit of a wild child too. I like the cat, even if I always had dogs growing up...Besides, I hear way up north they have crazy parties, warriors chugging mead around the fire and all that jazz. I hear some tribes even hunt bloody MAMMOTHS...I gotta get an invite home from her...

Alan: Man after my own tastes. Fella may be more focused on numbers and junk than me but we both have the same goals, cold hard coin. Nice fella too, I bet he can help do stuff like sell trophies and junk when we get into towns. Anyways, I get the feeling he has a little more than meets the eye, I mean, dumb, sweet, merchant boys don't decide to walk to the edge of the world for shits and giggles, right?

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

I've already got money on the table for the Party Kit, so I'm good to go.

Al's impressions of the team

Financial evaluation:

Honestly, I couldn't have planned it better if I'd tried. With a hunter, we can bring down more dangerous monsters, and the leatherworker can turn them into much greater profits than if we'd sold the remains as-is. The potential scales exponentially with the rarity of the game, too. Boar hide might not be worth all that much, relatively speaking, but minotaur hide is worth a small fortune. As for Mr. Amran, his skills will be invaluable for ensuring we have sufficient funds, even if we run short of quarry. Healers are always in-demand, so that's a guaranteed source of income whenever we're in town. What's more, he can probably recognize medicinal herbs and other plants better than the rest of us, and rare medicines are some of the most valuable commodities on the market. Further, given his interest in researching rare animals, we might receive a sudden windfall if he should make any groundbreaking discoveries. If we keep an eye out for treasure or other lucrative curiosities on top of all that, I could be headed home in no time. Truly, this partnership will be most beneficial for all involved.

Personal evaluation:

Zoch and I seem to have a good deal in common, although my personal goals only indulge my curiosity by coincidence, rather than intent. It will be nice to have someone along with which to discuss more academic matters. That's not to say, of course, that I at all dislike my other companions, quite the opposite. Vigdis' naivete reminds me of Nina, and her joviality will be welcome when we hit bad times. Jorda is honest and without pretense, and I appreciate his pragmatic attitude. Zoch and Vigdis appear to be more idealistic and dreamy-eyed, much like myself, so a dose of realism will help keep us grounded. I'm fairly certain he's had the most experience out in the wilds, so I'll be sure to consult him on matters of navigation and wilderness survival when necessary. My own skills in the field are a bit lacking compared to everyone else, but I hope they'll find me as trustworthy in the marketplace as I consider them on the road.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Threads are up.

Group 1.

Group A.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
I feel like death from a combination of work and sick and don't think I can put words together that make sense at the moment or even stay awake. I will get all my stuff in tomorrow, sorry!

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
Totally forgot about the free weapon thing, can't even spot it in the rules but I remember it being a thing now. Cut the cost of my head knife out and split the remaining 400g between the party kit and a woolen cap.

Each and every one of these men is terribly excitable, to the point of being draining. I find it difficult to speak up over them though, but it seems as if they're headed where I'd like to be. I just wish it was a quieter experience.

That Zoch man seems quite knowledgeable, but also fascinated with me as if I were some odd sort of animal. I try to keep my distance from him when I can.

Jorda insists that I must be some sort of grand warrior who has taken down animals I've never even heard of. Considering how much trouble I had just keeping the village dogs from bowling me over, I'm afraid I might disappoint him when he expects far more from me.

Alan reminds me of the dogsledders. They would always speak of money and what they needed to bring out to the greenlands, but it never made any sense to us. Perhaps in the greenlands there are more like the dogsledders, given how many more people I have seen. I just wish he wouldn't stare at my work so much while counting, it's a bit unsettling.

They all seem to see me as quite important, but I wonder how much that's true given that every home seems to be made of wood rather than pelts. For now I'll simply trust that they understand these things more than I do, as they certainly seem to.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Oh, we should also probably divvy out secondary roles (Leader, Mapper, Item Keeper, & possibly Diary Keeper). Alan or I should probably be Mapper, since we have the highest Int. I'd nominate myself, but if anyone cares about actually drawing maps I'm a poor choice 'cause I can't draw maps for poo poo. Otherwise, I'd say I should be mapper and Alan item keeper, since he's the merchant. Jorda seems the most leader-y to me, but that's up for debate.

IC post will be made within a few hours, once I've had time to unwind from work and buy groceries.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Now that the Freedom Apple Fest is over, let's do this!

Ilaria: We're a lot alike, but she seems more serious! I wonder if there's more to her? More importantly, I wonder if she has magic I haven't seen, ~hm hm~!

Ossry: I guess farms are important too, huh? More importantly, though, he's a really good cook! I'm not sure he should settle down and make a farm, I think he should open a restaurant! But maybe he's set in his ways...

Lynn: She's so gracious and skilled, but a little sad...? I wish I was that stylish, but I don't know if I could be as reserved! Still, I feel safer traveling with her.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Well, speaking practically, Alan has no experience with traveling, so despite his storage capacity, he wouldn't really know how best to store food to protect it from the elements and such. I would think Zoch or Jorda would be better as item keepers due to their more developed survival skills. Plus, Al has the highest Spirit of the group, which seems like an important stat for a Leader (as it represents emotional fortitude, not just magic stuff). Leaders don't always give orders, they're often just someone whose resolve keeps the team together and motivated. Additionally, as the person responsible for selling the group's trophies, he's already going to need to coordinate everyone to a certain degree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
Vigdis would probably be Diary Keeper even if all the other party roles weren't being jumped at. She left home out of sheer curiosity, after all.

• Locked thread