Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

This thread is for asking about who your dumb team picked, who they should've picked, and speculation about UDFAs, summer league invites, overseas buyouts, and other such things. It'll also serve as the intermediary thread between the 2014 draft and the 2015 draft (which will probably get started sometime in October or November or really whenever you've given up on your team for this year).

Also post highlights and GIFs and I'll add them to the OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

For the Raptors fans who are panicking, DX made a scouting video based off of one game's worth of tape right here which let's be honest is about as much as anyone had on Exum

hellzno
Jan 15, 2008

Primo

Declan MacManus posted:

For the Raptors fans who are panicking, DX made a scouting video based off of one game's worth of tape right here which let's be honest is about as much as anyone had on Exum

I'm warming up to the pick. Napier was never going to put the Raptors over the top anyways. Ennis would've been nice (hometown kid) but I like Bruno's potential as the youngest kid in the draft with insane wingspan. Swinging for the fences vs. becoming the Atlanta Hawks.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Well, The Lakers drafted the guy I was expecting them to draft and he seems like he should be good and start this season.

hellzno posted:

I'm warming up to the pick. Napier was never going to put the Raptors over the top anyways. Ennis would've been nice (hometown kid) but I like Bruno's potential as the youngest kid in the draft with insane wingspan. Swinging for the fences vs. becoming the Atlanta Hawks.

Yes, but you could have swung for the fences in the second round, I doubt he was gonna get scooped up by someone else first. Value is important in the draft

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

It's been a few hours and I've talked myself into the Douglas McBuckets era of Bulls basketball. I hope at some point Thibs prevents him from wearing that dorky t-shirt.

hellzno
Jan 15, 2008

Primo

The Glumslinger posted:

Well, The Lakers drafted the guy I was expecting them to draft and he seems like he should be good and start this season.

Yes, but you could have swung for the fences in the second round, I doubt he was gonna get scooped up by someone else first. Value is important in the draft

Eh, 20th picks are always kind of a crapshoot anyways. If the Raptors were getting worried that someone was going to steal him (word has it that Barbosa gave the Suns the DL on this guy), I'm all for it. Our team is full of role-players as is :shobon:.

hellzno fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jun 27, 2014

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
He's garbage

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
Oh, sorry, I was still busy reading through all sixty pages of that last thread, so I posted my two explanations of Bruno Cobloco there.

First theory is that it is done more for marketing reasons than basketball reasons. 100+ million Brazilians ready to buy Raptors jerseys makes more sense than some magical hidden talent in Cabloco.

But of course, if they wanted to do that, they could just get a free agent or someone in the second round.

So I have to go with theory number 2: Rob Ford has contacts in the Raptors, and has already sewn up 20 kilograms of cocaine somewhere in Cabloco's torso. Which would explain the wildly varying estimates of Cabloco's weight.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

That video is hilarious:

Strengths: Long? Tall? Dunks on South American guys who were last seen firing machine guns at John Matrix.

Weaknesses: May not exist

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
My thoughts on the Rockets draft:

Clint Capela: Swiss Serge Ibaka*

Nick Johnson: Taller Patrick Beverley*

Alessandro Gentile: Dunno but it doesn't hurt anything since we bought it outright, so good pick.

Overall: I'm mad they didn't draft P.J. Hairston. But it's refreshing to not really be invested in the draft and just watch the madness unfold.

* Player comparisons made by the players themselves

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

R.D. Mangles posted:

It's been a few hours and I've talked myself into the Douglas McBuckets era of Bulls basketball. I hope at some point Thibs prevents him from wearing that dorky t-shirt.

Two firsts in a deep draft to trade up 5 spots and reduce the cap space you'll have to go after a player who will actually start.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Tell me about the UDFA CJ Fair and any other interesting undrafted SFs. Any of them have potential to be 10-15 mpg backups or, heaven forbid, average starters?

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Picking the Brazilian guy who is a decade away from maybe putting up 3 points per game on 40% shooting because he kind of sort of resembles Kevin Durant in a physical sense was super dumb

hellzno posted:

I don't understand what about it is swinging for the fences, aside from the fact that the dude has next to no footage on him. And of course, it wasn't some conscious decision to go with Bruno over Ennis, they couldn't get a trade worked out and Phoenix took Ennis. I mean even living in the world where there aren't other athletic guys with mutant freak arms and mysterious skillsets you could take, I sincerely doubt it's the Raptors thinking he's some hidden super prospect. I don't see why his potential is any higher than whatever other foreign mystery box, besides blind faith in Ujiri.

And even putting aside the fact that he wasn't doing poo poo in the Brazilian league and his big accomplishment is MVP of the Basketball Without Frontiers league, which sounds like a fake thing you put on your basketball résumé and hope that no one is actually making phone calls, he apparently has injury concerns hahaha what the gently caress were we thinking

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

When can the Bulls sign Drew Crawford?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Niwrad posted:

When can the Bulls sign Drew Crawford?

This is a post I can get behind.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

The Glumslinger posted:

It sounds like he genuinely was the next guy on their list and didn't think he would make it to 37. Given that Ujiri was alleged to have tried to trade into last year's draft to take Antetokounmpo, that seems believable enough.

Also Raptors-following news people were making noise that Coboclo is working on his visas right now and might even be part of the team immediately and not stashed away at all (?!).

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

I'm incredibly annoyed with how Orlando handled the whole day but I'm trying not to judge it yet. Really loving awful value for Afflalo, a reach for Gordon for some reason, and Payton is your classic "shoots up the draft boards and turns into a bust" player we see every year. The speculation is they cleared cap space to go after Bledsoe in free agency but I don't want him so if that holds true then this is even worse. Why on earth would you reach up to #4 for Aaron Gordon? Trade down if you really want an energy guy with no actual basketball skills, if you really must take him. God damnit

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
I'm not sure he's cut out for any significant burn in the D-League, he would get 0 minutes in the NBA if he actually came over so I don't know why they would do that

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

BIZORT posted:

I'm incredibly annoyed with how Orlando handled the whole day but I'm trying not to judge it yet. Really loving awful value for Afflalo, a reach for Gordon for some reason, and Payton is your classic "shoots up the draft boards and turns into a bust" player we see every year. The speculation is they cleared cap space to go after Bledsoe in free agency but I don't want him so if that holds true then this is even worse. Why on earth would you reach up to #4 for Aaron Gordon? Trade down if you really want an energy guy with no actual basketball skills, if you really must take him. God damnit

I don't get why they were in such a rush to dump Afflalo. Why not wait till after free agency plays out a little and see which teams strike out and need a wing? I have to imagine that Fournier deal would still be available.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

Niwrad posted:

I don't get why they were in such a rush to dump Afflalo. Why not wait till after free agency plays out a little and see which teams strike out and need a wing? I have to imagine that Fournier deal would still be available.

Like I said, I think they want the cap room to go after someone. If so, this was the time to make the deal. They're in the midst of a rebuild so I don't know who they could actually go after that wouldn't gently caress the whole thing up. Bledsoe gets mentioned a lot but giving a lot of years to a short guard that solely relies on athleticism and coming off of knee surgery seems incredibly dumb. There was another guy they're rumored to go after but I forget who.

The other thing is they're preparing to take on bad deals and hoard away first round picks as a result. This is probably the backup plan, seeing as how they just pissed a first rounder away to get Payton

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

I'm not sure he's cut out for any significant burn in the D-League, he would get 0 minutes in the NBA if he actually came over so I don't know why they would do that

We're not even sure he exists, so I wouldn't be sure that he's cut out for anything at all.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
The Raptors had the worst NBA draft in 50 years and I fell out of my chair laughing

hellzno
Jan 15, 2008

Primo

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

blind faith in Ujiri.

Let me have my moment <:mad:>

Seriously though, I'm just praying that he IS this unappreciated talent. You can't teach wingspan... right guys?

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

Priest Lauderdale sure was big

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Declan MacManus posted:

This thread is for asking about who your dumb team picked, who they should've picked, and speculation about UDFAs, summer league invites, overseas buyouts, and other such things. It'll also serve as the intermediary thread between the 2014 draft and the 2015 draft (which will probably get started sometime in October or November or really whenever you've given up on your team for this year).

Also post highlights and GIFs and I'll add them to the OP.
So...uhhh...what do you guys think about Kyle Anderson?
Bashez?

I don't really follow college basketball at all but I seem to vaguely remember this dude being projected higher at some point in mock drafts way before...but then I guess people remembered he's super unathletic?
People are making Boris Diaw comparisons but Diaw came into the league with athleticism and besides Diaw can defend, while this dude is supposedly a black hole on defense. I can't imagine his basketball IQ and passing skills are so powerful that they trump the fact that he's (apparently?) not physically equipped to be an NBA player and I can't imagine Pop giving development minutes to someone who can't do anything on the defensive end (I mean, isn't that why Deshuan Thomas floated away?).

The whole "He's a tall point guard!!!!...but not really, because he's only a tall point guard in college basketball...in the NBA he'll just be a slow point forward who everyone is way faster and stronger than" thing doesn't inspire confidence in me in terms of producing NBA players. I have a lot of difficulty wrapping my head around the guy as a player. Like the nickname though.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
C.J. Wilcox dragged a bad Washington team to mediocrity because he owns on three-pointers. Probably a reach in the first round but I think Clips fans will like him.

This was probably the best spot he could've ended up in, where he can be useful off the bench for a contender without unreasonable expectations to carry the team like he had to at UW.

Benne fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jun 27, 2014

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
The Nets got a good, hardworking player at the bottom of the 2nd round in Xavier Thames. He led SDSU to the Sweet 16 this year and did so as just about the only offensive threat on the team. One of the best players in Aztec history. I hope he does well in Brooklyn :3:

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

I spent a lot of time watching Kyle Anderson videos and I love the guy. I have never seen him play in an actual game, though, so keep that in mind but I also think athleticism is wildly overrated in the NBA game. There have been a good amount of guys that have succeeded without grade-A athleticism but the guys who always get taken entirely too high are the super athletes. Anderson seemed to have just enough to juke to get a shot off and when he didn't have the shot he had the timing to know when to dump it off. That's an incredibly valuable skill that takes years to learn and he already has it. He found his perfect fit with the Spurs. He doesn't look like a great shooter but good enough. He can't be worse than Kawhi was when he came out

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

BIZORT posted:

I spent a lot of time watching Kyle Anderson videos and I love the guy. I have never seen him play in an actual game, though, so keep that in mind but I also think athleticism is wildly overrated in the NBA game. There have been a good amount of guys that have succeeded without grade-A athleticism but the guys who always get taken entirely too high are the super athletes. Anderson seemed to have just enough to juke to get a shot off and when he didn't have the shot he had the timing to know when to dump it off. That's an incredibly valuable skill that takes years to learn and he already has it. He found his perfect fit with the Spurs. He doesn't look like a great shooter but good enough. He can't be worse than Kawhi was when he came out

He can! He shot 21% from 3 his freshman year. He upped it a lot but on not very many attempts.

His shot is going to need to speed up or he will never get a clean look in the NBA. That's the slowest loving shot ever. He's clearly a skilled guy but I hate the Spurs' lack of athleticism sometimes, and though it should be possible, he'll take the average down.

He can't guard a man in isolation worth a god drat. The Spurs have pretty great help defense so maybe that won't be a huge issue. His long as arms will at least make him disruptive. I think he's another guy that will struggle against teams like OKC and it will limit his impact pretty heavily. I'm not sure his offense is going to be able to outweigh the drag he'll be defensively.

I was baffled when the Spurs didn't pick foreigners at the end of the draft. Apparently they traded them for Nemanja Dangubic. That name sounds made up.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Sixers traded for Pierre Jackson. He tore up the D-League, right? Can he shoot?

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

Pierre Jackson seems like he'd be the perfect complimentary backup to Carter-Williams if he's as good a shooter/scorer as I've been led to believe

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

DOOP posted:

Sixers traded for Pierre Jackson. He tore up the D-League, right? Can he shoot?

Yup. He is also super athletic. Actually passes despite his prolific scoring ability.

D_I
Aug 31, 2004

Kibner posted:

Yup. He is also super athletic. Actually passes despite his prolific scoring ability.
Cons, doesn't even attempt to guard anyone.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Kibner posted:

Can Pierre play the 2 at all? A MCW-Pierre starting backcourt would be cool

D_I posted:

Who cares? Tank 2.0 is coming

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

DOOP posted:

Newly acquired Jordan McRae is going to play the 2, silly

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Raptor fans stop trying for to defend taking a guy who would have been a udfa otherwise on the first round, it makes you looks super dumb.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

MourningView posted:

Raptor fans stop trying for to defend taking a guy who would have been a udfa otherwise on the first round, it makes you looks super dumb.

Making a pick that's flat-out too weird for people to evaluate always rules.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

D_I posted:

Keep in mind that's normal in the D-League.

Also, in regards to the Cocobolo pick, is there anything in the CBA that would make you want to pick a player in the 1st round as opposed to the 2nd? Everything I've heard has been that the rules for 2nd round picks give teams more flexibility.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

DOOP posted:

He's 5'9 so, uh, no. Functionally you'd be doing the Iverson/Snow thing.

TheFallenEvincar posted:

So...uhhh...what do you guys think about Kyle Anderson?
Bashez?

I don't really follow college basketball at all but I seem to vaguely remember this dude being projected higher at some point in mock drafts way before...but then I guess people remembered he's super unathletic?
People are making Boris Diaw comparisons but Diaw came into the league with athleticism and besides Diaw can defend, while this dude is supposedly a black hole on defense. I can't imagine his basketball IQ and passing skills are so powerful that they trump the fact that he's (apparently?) not physically equipped to be an NBA player and I can't imagine Pop giving development minutes to someone who can't do anything on the defensive end (I mean, isn't that why Deshuan Thomas floated away?).

The whole "He's a tall point guard!!!!...but not really, because he's only a tall point guard in college basketball...in the NBA he'll just be a slow point forward who everyone is way faster and stronger than" thing doesn't inspire confidence in me in terms of producing NBA players. I have a lot of difficulty wrapping my head around the guy as a player. Like the nickname though.

He'll get most of his minutes at SF and then when Pop feels frisky he'll probably let him run the offense on the second team

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Almost everyone calling into WIP loving hates the Sixers' draft and are calling it a catastrophe, so it's probably the best draft they've ever had.

• Locked thread