Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Can anybody give me reason to be excited about Spencer Dinwiddie? I know he was a very good player before getting injured, and our PG situation is kind of a mess, but I would've liked Cleanthony Early to slip just a few more spots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

MourningView posted:

Durant is the new Dirk in that any player compared to him will inevitably be loving horrible. All it takes is being a tall skinny dude who jacks up a lot of threes. You don't even need to make them, just shoot a lot.

Dont forget being long. You have to be long

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
It's time to start slobbering over Emmanuel Mudiay and other young boys

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Industrial posted:

So the Timberwolves drafted like their 9th point guard in the last 5 years. Anyone want to tell me about this guy? I hadn't heard much of him leading up to the draft.

He's not a point guard. Or a very good basketball player. He couldn't get on the court at all for UCLA towards the end of the year. He can jump real high though.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
People asking Embiid the hard hitting quesitons

http://www.barstoolsports.com/videos/embiid-answers-question-about-dick/

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

HInkie saying in press conference Embiid is 5-8 months, not 4-6.

See you next year Joel.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Henchman of Santa posted:

Can anybody give me reason to be excited about Spencer Dinwiddie? I know he was a very good player before getting injured, and our PG situation is kind of a mess, but I would've liked Cleanthony Early to slip just a few more spots.

He's really skilled. I don't think he's a point guard, but he has good SG size so he doesn't need to be. He has some passing ability but he looks to score rather than create for others. He can handle the ball well, knows how to get to the basket and either finish or draw a foul, and is a really good spot up shooter. He's not the most explosive athlete in the world and obviously you never know with the knee, but he was really good value where they got him. If he'd been healthy he'd have gone in the first round. I like him more than Early.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Tom Moore ‏@tmoore76ers 28s

#Sixers Hinkie: 'We didn't get the least bit close' to (getting No. 1 pick from Cle). The moment (Embiid) got hurt, I sniffed opportunity ..

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
What a mastermind...

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Only posting it because we all thought Sixers were close to trading for 1.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Industrial posted:

So the Timberwolves drafted like their 9th point guard in the last 5 years. Anyone want to tell me about this guy? I hadn't heard much of him leading up to the draft.

The best is out of all the PGs they drafted they traded the best one to Denver

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Someone reassure me about Jordan Adams because I didn't watch a UCLA game all season

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

NickRoweFillea posted:

Someone reassure me about Jordan Adams because I didn't watch a UCLA game all season

He was a good college scorer and advanced metrics all love him, but he's a horrible athlete by NBA standards. Both of their picks screamed Hollinger.

thompson
Jun 6, 2006
I'm still having trouble comprehending why the Clippers took a shooting guard who looks to sort of be Reggie Bullock 2.0. A trade must be coming?

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Thinking back on it, Clint Capela is a pretty weird pick for Morey. Young athletic project. Although I'll go ahead and assume his analytics are off the chart due to his efficiency. Anyway the Spurs wanted him so it's cool.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

MourningView posted:

He's really skilled. I don't think he's a point guard, but he has good SG size so he doesn't need to be. He has some passing ability but he looks to score rather than create for others. He can handle the ball well, knows how to get to the basket and either finish or draw a foul, and is a really good spot up shooter. He's not the most explosive athlete in the world and obviously you never know with the knee, but he was really good value where they got him. If he'd been healthy he'd have gone in the first round. I like him more than Early.

Cool. I expect him to easily get minutes in a guard rotation featuring the talents of Brandon Jennings, Will Bynum, Kyle Singler, Kentavious Caldwell-Pope and Rodney Stuckey (if we re-sign him).

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

chunkles posted:

Thinking back on it, Clint Capela is a pretty weird pick for Morey. Young athletic project. Although I'll go ahead and assume his analytics are off the chart due to his efficiency. Anyway the Spurs wanted him so it's cool.

I think they wanted someone to stash in Europe so they didn't take on any more payroll.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Clint Capela sounds like a pretty baller rap name.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

MourningView posted:

I think they wanted someone to stash in Europe so they didn't take on any more payroll.

He actually wants to come over right now but if they can convince him to sign a waiver saying he won't come over he doesn't count towards the cap at all. They will probably do this by taking him on a tour of Hidalgo, Texas home of the Rio Grande Valley Vipers.

danucleus
Nov 22, 2007
hmm

thompson posted:

I'm still having trouble comprehending why the Clippers took a shooting guard who looks to sort of be Reggie Bullock 2.0. A trade must be coming?

He's supposed to be one of the best shooters in the draft, the Clippers were a bad 3pt shooting team despite being the highest scoring team last season, so Wilcox can space the floor. If this leads to the end of the Jared Dudley experiment then I'm all for it. We do have a glaring need of backup bigs though...

thompson
Jun 6, 2006

danucleus posted:

He's supposed to be one of the best shooters in the draft, the Clippers were a bad 3pt shooting team despite being the highest scoring team last season, so Wilcox can space the floor. If this leads to the end of the Jared Dudley experiment then I'm all for it. We do have a glaring need of backup bigs though...

Backup bigs and a defensive 3 D guy. I'm not sold on Barnes.

I have a feeling we may try to deal Crawford. He has a super team friendly deal though so i'm torn.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
CJ Fair will be on Dallas' summer league team

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

thompson posted:

You want Eric Gordon back? Please take him.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
Like, you don't even need to send back anything. Just the minimum to take him.

HooverDam
Aug 16, 2004

I'm still confused about the Suns pick of Tyler Ennis. I guess its protection for if Bledsoe leaves, but I don't see why thats necessary. If Bledsoe is gone, slide Goran back to the 1 and they have Archie Goodwin as a backup, and getting backup PGs isn't too terribly difficult. We heard all along that they wanted a wing shooter and they never took one, so perhaps that was all BS.

I thought for sure they were taking Ennis just to give the Raptors a heart attack and hold them over a barrel for a trade, but now I'm just confused.

I'm happy w/ the Warren pick. One concern is he scored most of his points around the basket or midrange. Dragic and Bledsoe are similar, that's a lot of rim attacking and not a lot of floor spacing. But if he turns out to be Cedric Ceballos, I'll be thrilled.

Obviously with Bogdonovich, they got the funniest name, so thats good.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

BIZORT posted:

I spent a lot of time watching Kyle Anderson videos and I love the guy. I have never seen him play in an actual game, though, so keep that in mind but I also think athleticism is wildly overrated in the NBA game. There have been a good amount of guys that have succeeded without grade-A athleticism but the guys who always get taken entirely too high are the super athletes. Anderson seemed to have just enough to juke to get a shot off and when he didn't have the shot he had the timing to know when to dump it off. That's an incredibly valuable skill that takes years to learn and he already has it. He found his perfect fit with the Spurs. He doesn't look like a great shooter but good enough. He can't be worse than Kawhi was when he came out

Good summary. His 3-point shooting actually improved a lot last year. His defense isn't great, but I think he'll figure out a way to adapt his game to NBA standards. He'll mesh perfectly with the Spurs' system, and gets to learn from Pop, Duncan, etc. Great fit, happy for the guy.

NickRoweFillea posted:

Great scorer/shooter, but a little streaky at times. Could have used one more year at UCLA to polish his game, but will eventually be a solid contributor.

danucleus
Nov 22, 2007
hmm

thompson posted:

Backup bigs and a defensive 3 D guy. I'm not sold on Barnes.

I have a feeling we may try to deal Crawford. He has a super team friendly deal though so i'm torn.

I hope not; who else is going to create for that second unit? Maybe they'll deal Reggie Bullock or Barnes, but I really want them to get rid of Jared Dudley. Crawford's deal is too good to let go.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

HooverDam posted:

I'm still confused about the Suns pick of Tyler Ennis. I guess its protection for if Bledsoe leaves, but I don't see why thats necessary. If Bledsoe is gone, slide Goran back to the 1 and they have Archie Goodwin as a backup, and getting backup PGs isn't too terribly difficult. We heard all along that they wanted a wing shooter and they never took one, so perhaps that was all BS.

They probably correctly believe that Archie Goodwin is really bad and not a real point guard.

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011

DeimosRising posted:

If you think this is true, then it's the right decision. You don't draft a guy who doesn't work for you just so the team he works for can't take him. Spite drafting is stupid, you build the best team you can and trust it's better than the other ones. Of course, Diaw was great for the Suns and pretty good in Charlotte after he lost lockout hibernation fat, so if that's who you think Anderson is then he should probably have gone a lot earlier. But Anderson doesn't have Diaw's athleticism or his bulk.

No, leaving a long-armed Diaw type on the board to take guys that would have to learn how to shoot to be credible back-ups isn't exactly the right decision. It turns out teams other than the Spurs can use great passing 3/4's off the bench, the Spurs don't really need to have all of them.

Redgrendel2001 posted:

This was a terrible draft for the 76ers.

This is true in the sense that the 76ers have a 0% chance to win the title next season. On the other hand, they got a potentially centerpiece frontcourt player that along with Anthony Davis could very easily be a top big man in the sport in 5 years. Yes, he might have more injury issues and could very well end up a bust, but to get the #1 overall guy at #3 is always good value. The Clippers took Blake #1 and he missed an entire season for them, but I don't think the Clippers would trade that lost season for an extra year of Hasheem Thabeet or Ricky Rubio (maybe James Harden, but probably not). And Embiid has more potential as a two way player than Griffin did.

Also, how about the Kings? In an amazingly deep draft, they draft a guy everybody had around 13 at #7, purely based on his 3 point shooting. It's worked so well with them and Jimmer, and them and McLemore! On a team that already has Isaiah Thomas and Rudy Gay on it: clearly they need more shooters that play no defense.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Redgrendel2001 posted:

No. The Apocalypse is nigh. WIP and/or its callers being right is one of the signs.

This was a terrible draft for the 76ers.
The trade they made was ridiculously in their favour, and both Embiid and Saric are good picks. I think they had the best day of anyone.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
Patric Young is on the Pelicans Summer League team.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

euphronius posted:

The Sixers were in the eastern conference semis in 2012. That was only 2 years ago, and they are more than halfway through their rebuild.

The Tank worked. They got Embiid.

I feel like this got buried and it's really funny to me.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
Sam Presti said the Thunder never worked out Mitch McGary, and they drafted him based on scouting done while he was injured. That is, they scouted him sitting on the bench. And then drafted him with 21st overall pick :stonk:

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Terry Glenn posted:

Sam Presti said the Thunder never worked out Mitch McGary, and they drafted him based on scouting done while he was injured. That is, they scouted him sitting on the bench. And then drafted him with 21st overall pick :stonk:

What if Presti has actually been a terrible GM this entire time and has only kept it hidden because he won the lottery thrice??

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Sheriff posted:

What if Presti has actually been a terrible GM this entire time and has only kept it hidden because he won the lottery thrice??

Well, he didn't? Durant was a no-brainer, but Westbrook and Harden weren't expected to go as high as they did (and were widely panned at the time), and Ibaka was a late first rounder. Steven Adams last year seems like a solid pick. Reggie Jackson was a good find where they got him. Seems like he's pretty dang good at the draft. I don't love the McGary pick but in general it seems like most of his issues as a GM come from salary restrictions placed on him by ownership.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jun 27, 2014

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Terry Glenn posted:

His pot smoking had an exquisite flair that hasn't been seen since Rodman, a clear get.

My jokes last night aside, McGary is better than Aldrich and can probably contribute awhile as a good post off the bench or such, like the best Raef Lafrentz was for Dallas.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

MourningView posted:

Well, he didn't? Durant was a no-brainer, but Westbrook and Harden weren't expected to go as high as they did (and were widely panned at the time), and Ibaka was a late first rounder. Steven Adams last year seems like a solid pick. Reggie Jackson was a good find where they got him. Seems like he's pretty dang good at the draft. I don't love the McGary pick but in general it seems like most of his issues as a GM come from salary restrictions placed on him by ownership.

A whole lot of people liked the Harden pick and thought he was going to go around there but I agree with you about Westbrook, Ibaka, and the others.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

laz0rbeak posted:

Also, how about the Kings? In an amazingly deep draft, they draft a guy everybody had around 13 at #7, purely based on his 3 point shooting. It's worked so well with them and Jimmer, and them and McLemore! On a team that already has Isaiah Thomas and Rudy Gay on it: clearly they need more shooters that play no defense.

The Kings were 27th in 3pt shooting and if you think Stauskas is the same guy as Jimmer than I don't know what to tell you.

And oh no they drafted a guy 5 spots too "early". Because we all know pre-draft mocks are basically how the post-draft rankings shake out.

I would have preferred Vonleh over him, but looking at everyone else on the board and given the Kings needs I don't see the big deal

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Mr. Humalong posted:

I feel like this got buried and it's really funny to me.

If Noel and Joel bust out then yeah they are going to have like 10 bad years in a row.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

MourningView posted:

Sorry, I wasn't being serious, just lampooning the overreactions that inevitably happen around the draft. For the record, I think Presti is a great GM who would probably have a dynasty if he was in a larger market.

• Locked thread