Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'm not enjoying Twin Peaks, which makes me really sad. Can I change my Toxx at this stage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010
health stuff has been keeping me from my Toxx, but i;m going to work on it today while laying in bed wishing I was dead D:

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Open Source Idiom posted:

I'm not enjoying Twin Peaks, which makes me really sad.

What's bugging you about it? Lynch isn't for everybody.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Just checking in to say that I'll be starting in on Season 1 of The Wire tonight. I've watched the first episode a few times but for one reason or another wasn't able to keep going with it. For a new watcher, is it better to binge-watch or take it 1-2 episodes at a time and let it soak in?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
With The Wire people tend to suggest setting some time aside and watching the first four episodes in one go. It definitely takes a while to get to grips with its' rhythm.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."

Open Source Idiom posted:

I'm not enjoying Twin Peaks, which makes me really sad. Can I change my Toxx at this stage?

Yep, you can. Just pick something with about the same number of hours you have left in it and post it in the thread. :)

As a general reminder to everyone, you have about 34 days left to finish your toxxes.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I hate asking to switch over to the West Wing but I can't turn away from it.

Can I switch to the first two seasons of the West Wing?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

As for me, I'm about a third of the way through season 5, almost there!

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
I have updated the OP and I think I have everyone who's done listed as done. I moved these to a new section at the bottom of the OP. If you're done, check and make sure you're listed. Right now I have Short Penguin, Cerepol, E PLURIBUS ANUS, AnimeJune and Island Nation. If you're done and not listed, point me at your "I'm done!" post.

There are several people who haven't checked in since like, June. Check in, please.

EccoRaven posted:

I started watching the first episode of Friday Night Lights and then I stopped because it was a Friday evening and I was drinking wine and I got distracted.

That was a month ago and then I started the West Wing and well here we are today.

I'll get around to it sooner or later I promise!

Yep!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Due to real life poo poo, I just finished Season 1 of Twin Peaks but man, that was great.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

I have 54 episodes left and roughly 33 days to watch them.

Hoo boy.

Time to start spreadsheetin'

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I think I'm halfway through Twin Peaks Season 2. Despite all my bitching about how terrible the first episode or two were in terms of making it look like a farce, the show got a lot better as the season went on.

It is still jarring, however, to have an intro/opening credits, for some reason.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.
Haven't checked in in awhile, but about 4 episodes away from finishing season 8 of Supernatural. I like this season, although Dean repeatedly knocking Sam about taking a year off and being happy with someone was annoying since Dean did the exact same thing in between season 5 and 6. Maybe that doesn't count for Dean though since that was the gas leak season.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Tupping Liberty posted:

Haven't checked in in awhile, but about 4 episodes away from finishing season 8 of Supernatural. I like this season, although Dean repeatedly knocking Sam about taking a year off and being happy with someone was annoying since Dean did the exact same thing in between season 5 and 6. Maybe that doesn't count for Dean though since that was the gas leak season.

Well to be fair Dean actually thought Sam was dead while Sam knew Dean wasn't.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

computer parts posted:

Well to be fair Dean actually thought Sam was dead while Sam knew Dean wasn't.

Did he? I was under the impression that Sam thought he was.

Edit: Annakie, would it be okay to modify mine to season 5-8 of Supernatural, and then season 9 if it comes to Netflix before Sept. 22? I guess I thought it would be up by now when I made my toxx.

Tupping Liberty fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Aug 21, 2014

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Ok just watched the first episode of Friday Night Lights; will watch about an episode a day with a marathon on Labor Day.

I never thought I could care this much about high school football. :o

Mechanical mandible
Aug 4, 2007

Huh, caught on this a little bit late but put me down to watch both seasons of A House of Cards.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Reminder to all of you chumps that in the intervening time of making my "Toxx" I watched season 3 of LMS, a quarter of a season of LMS, and a full season of Doctor Who whilst writing 2k+ word reviews of each episode

So yeah, no excuses for you lamers who haven't finished their toxxes

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The first four episodes of Shameless s4 annoyed me so much that I've watched 4 full seasons of The Sopranos since then. But I still have a month so I guess I'll get on with it at some point.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Annakie said it's alright to replace season 9 of Supernatural with something else of comparable time commitment, so I'm going with the first season of Arrow.

I'm two episodes in and I like how it's going so far, although I have a feeling it's going to be increasingly annoying to see Olli act the playboy.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Tupping Liberty posted:

Annakie said it's alright to replace season 9 of Supernatural with something else of comparable time commitment, so I'm going with the first season of Arrow.

I'm two episodes in and I like how it's going so far, although I have a feeling it's going to be increasingly annoying to see Olli act the playboy.

That doesn't really happen for long at all.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

Toxxupation posted:

Reminder to all of you chumps that in the intervening time of making my "Toxx" I watched season 3 of LMS, a quarter of a season of LMS, and a full season of Doctor Who whilst writing 2k+ word reviews of each episode

So yeah, no excuses for you lamers who haven't finished their toxxes

:bahgawd:

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Deadpool posted:

That doesn't really happen for long at all.

I'm already on Episode 6. I am super enjoying this show. Now I have another one that I will have to wait for the season to come out on Netflix before I can livewatch.

Tupping Liberty fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Aug 24, 2014

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I'm finally getting off my rear end and am watching Hemlock Grove. I am a sucker for the kind of Vampire, World of Darkness, Urban horror genre. It's dumb, trashy and I should of gotten over it in High School and College but just like anime I keep coming back.

I'm only two episodes in and so far it feels like it REALLY wan't to be American Horror Story in the sense that it is taking a half a dozen plot points, tossing them at the wall and hoping for the best. But it doesn't realize that AHS works when it goes balls to the wall insane. Hemlock Grove on the other hand is trying for more serious, toned down high school drama. Hopefully, with the Girl getting pregnant with an Angel, Vampire family, Gypsy werewolfs, a girl who is some kind of mutant and a obvious mad scientist, it does reach AHS levels of crazy and doesn't just rely on pretty good gore effects.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Aug 24, 2014

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

I got off my butt and finished season 3 of The West Wing this morning, I've kept going so I'm a few episodes into season 4, so since we have a month left I'll say I'll finish S4 before the end of the summer.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
I'm nearly finished with my toxx of :lost:

I just wanted to say that Roger WorkMan is the greatest character. He was number 1.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun

Bown posted:

The first four episodes of Shameless s4 annoyed me so much that I've watched 4 full seasons of The Sopranos since then. But I still have a month so I guess I'll get on with it at some point.

Episode 5 is when the plot really takes off for the season so I'd press on.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Up to Season 5 of Tales From the Crypt

Whole lotta voodoo, siamese twins, unfaithful spouses, and casual murder going on.

e: Just wanted to throw in here that I have now seen Tim Curry cross-dressed as a wickedly ugly obese hunchbacked hillbilly hag going cowgirl on Ed Begley Jr, who has to force himself to have an erection while handcuffed to a bed.

:allears:

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Aug 29, 2014

Cockashocka
Sep 13, 2013

Bubble brother

Finished with season 6 now, god that was a pretty lame season finale

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I just finished both seasons of Twin Peaks. The stuff that pissed me off about the beginning of Season 2 largely dropped off and it was pretty smooth from there. It was still a little far out in some aspects, and I could see how it was cancelled.

Once I gather my thoughts about the whole ordeal I'll post more. But really it's just a bunch of not getting a few things.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I loving HATED "Swap Meet," the one where a teenager switches bodies with Sam.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

20 days left to finish your Toxxes everyone!

I finished season 4 of The West Wing over the weekend. Man I'm glad I wasn't watching live when I would have had to wait all summer to find out the resolution of the whole Zoe kidnapped / John Goodman is temporary president plotline. I'm a few episodes into S5 but I'm not going to toxx myself any further because I"ll probably be pretty busy this month.

Overall, I'm glad I'm finally watching The West Wing. Sometimes it gets kind of cloyingly preachy and even with my pretty liberal politics I've found myself rolling my eyes here and there, but it's great. The sort of loose-wrapup of a lot of characters storylines, which is annoying. Like, we're never told if Sam won his election? If he lost, which he probably did, why isn't he back at the White House besides the fact that we know Rob Lowe quit the show? And Ainsley is just gone with no explanation but "She left and hey look now you get Matthew Perry!"

I plan on finishing the show in the next couple of months even with the upcoming dip in quality, but I don't know if I'll ever re-watch it.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!
I've asked permission to change my toxx from the first two seasons of Person of Interest to the first two seasons of Babylon 5. I really couldn't get into the show and that tanked my motivation in watching it at all. Since B5 is one episode less I'll add the pilot film to balance out length differences.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm not sure if Denise is surprisingly progressive or really offensive.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Well, after some insomnia, I finished up my toxx.

Seasons 5-8 of Supernatural: I pretty much agree with the consensus on these seasons... I thought the season 5 arc was excellent, season 6 was stupid, season 7 was okay, season 8 was back to good (I especially liked Lenny and the Purgatory flashbacks. The Sam flashbacks, meh.

Season 1 of Arrow: Can't wait to catch season 2 on Netflix. Fun, great action, I want to have Stephen Amell's babies, Thea eventually became not annoying, Tommy stayed annoying. It's nice to see a CW show with a protagonist in my age range. (I know the Supernatural guys are there, now, but not when they started.

Overall I added both shows to my dvr and I'm just waiting for the last seasons to come out on Netflix so I can post in their threads this year.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Thea gets even more interesting in season 2 because they actually give her something to do other than drugs and sitting around the mansion.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Just finished Season one of Hemlock Grove. gently caress THIS SHOW!

There is a podcast called We Hate Movies that did an episode of The Butterfly Effect. Everything they mention something hosed up happens their response is "DUDE! That is hosed up! :350: We're really saying something man!" That's the whole show. Just moment after moment of actually good gore effects and hosed up things happening. Plus it throws Vampires at us in the final episode like we didn't see it coming since episode 1.

gently caress, there's a second season to this. Why did I agree to this!

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
:toxx: completed.

Well, in all honesty I finished all of Farscape season 4 and the TV-wrap up movie The Peacekeeper Wars almost over two weeks ago but I was mostly mulling it over. But overall I really enjoyed Farscape and I can see why it's an amazing, well-regarded series.

Season 4: This season starts really rough. Like, it has a great opener (Crichton Kicks) that introduces you to the new cast members and bring back some of the old ones. Unfortunately they are followed by a really boring 2-parter (probably the only multi-parter in Farscape I didn't even like much) even though it was pretty serial and it turns out is super important for Peacekeeper Wars later. For the most part, I enjoyed the new characters that were added in season 4 (Sikozu and Noranti). There are a few episodes or two before the entire cast is reunited, and it kicks off again, but then we have a few more standalone episodes that vary by quality. Some are excellent fun while others were interesting in their own way but kinda fell flat for me. (Ironically I liked some of them vs. the general sentiment of other fans who basically hated them; I liked Coup by Clam for the most part).

The halfway mark is when it picks up and goes almost full serial on us. They actually make it to Earth and there were interesting choices made regarding that and how that played out into the later half. The later half of the season is probably the strongest finish, which involves a 6-7 episode long arc that concludes the series (not including the movie). There are still a few standalone episodes preceding it which I thought were decent and felt like typical Farscape fare. I can see why some fans didn't like, maybe because of their placement. Interestingly, the episode Mental as Anything I enjoyed, but I recently discovered most people considered it something they'd never watch again. I see their argument for it but I disagree. Maybe I'm wrong.

Of course, there's an outrageously good 3-parter which is then followed by a slower finale episode which is topped off by a loving cliffhanger because they were promised a fifth season then never got it. Luckily we got ...

The Peacekeeper Wars: This was probably written to conclude the series. It runs for 3 hours long, so it pretty much is a 4-episode arc (although it's listed as 2 parts, so whatever) where they try to shove every idea that they thought was important into that time span. (Also, since S4 basically "ended" with another 4-episode string of episodes, a 3-parter + epilogue, I was basically on a 6 hour Farscape trip). They brought back some elements of the earlier bits of season 4 (and even season 2 if you caught it) which is fine. Farscape has done that more than a few times in its 4-season run. There were a few things that bothered me although the production quality was much higher here but aren't really worth mentioning. There were a few acts that felt like they existed because of how it would be broadcast, because they didn't really seem to amount to too much by the end of the movie. Did not particularly like where some of the characters went throughout TPKW, or some of the creative choices considering you probably wouldn't be watching this as your first foray into Farscape, so I found it odd they had to include stuff like "describe the show to people and who's who again".

Of course, all-in-all, it was an enjoyable end to the series. I think it pulled off the movie-to-cap-a-series feeling better than Serenity did for Firefly. I still think the strongest season of Farscape is season 3. The second half of season 4 is really strong as well. Seasons 1 and 2 that I had watched before are mostly standalone with character arcs but end with amazing cliffhangers and multi-episode bonanzas. Fantastic series, and I can't believe it's that underrated versus things like Firefly or BSG. This is how you do sci-fi, I feel. Stuff is properly alien at times, and the cast is always at the forefront in the show, not the absolute stupid technobabble that people have grown to associate with sci-fi.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Just finished season 1 of FNL, well on track to finish the toxx.

It's really good y'all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Hardon
May 31, 2006
Mad Men: Season 4: Episode 2: Wow. Holy poo poo. :tviv:

Breaking Bad: Finished it and now I don't' have to suffer the toxic punishment. Overall, it sucked. Don't understand the hype.

The Wire: Wow. I can't believe Omar got killed off :tviv:

• Locked thread