Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Seasons 8 and 9 of Supernatural I think for the most part have been as good as any of the best early seasons. With the exception of the spinoff episode which felt nothing like Supernatural at all and instead what I envisioned Vampire Diaries being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

If anyone wants to participate and can't think of a show, I highly recommend The Shield.

AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

"We're dead. Bartowski's got a gun."

KilGrey posted:

If anyone wants to participate and can't think of a show, I highly recommend The Shield.
Agreed. For Canadian Netflix fans who want to participate - I cannot recommend Friday Night Lights and Fringe enough. All their seasons are currently on Netflix, and they are pretty deservedly high-naggable "have you watched this yet?!" shows. Fringe is especially good to binge because halfway through s1, once it gets the serial plot going, it doesn't slow down.

If you want to start easy and want to catch up on a show that is currently airing and very buzzable - Brooklyn Nine Nine's first season is now up. It's hysterically funny - plus it docks ten points off your White Privilege card for watching the only show right now that comes close to Orange is the New Black's ethnic and sexual diversity.

For me? I'm going to buckle down and :toxx: myself to watch the first season of Avatar: the Last Airbender. I remember watching the pilot when it first aired and being gobsmacked by the creativity and the animation, but I guess I fell away from it and everyone's been telling me how awesome it is (and how absolutely lovely and loving racist M Night Shitmypant's film version was).

Deadpool: Yeah, the Mama Monster and Leviathan seasons of Supernatural turned me right off, but I may come back to the series after seeing how the last season ended.

muscles like this?: "French Mistake" is one of the post-five Supernatural episodes that's a standout, agreed - also recommending "Clap Your Hands If You Believe" for judicious use of X-files references, David Bowie, and a microwave.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Annakie posted:

* E PLURIBUS ANUS - Season 3 of Last Man Standing (I know you were being funny but IT STILL COUNTS! :D )

These were massively entertaining so I hope ANUS completes his work! Honestly some of the best TV IV posts in ages.

Honestly his season 2 reviews should be a front page article.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Finished up season 2 of Shameless earlier. This show is so weird - it spends the first third of each season being this wacky punk rock adult family comedy, and then really ramps up the drama in the final four episodes. It manages to make it work very well, though, with episode 11 being particularly gut-wrenching. There wasn't much of a through-line to the season, which made it feel scattered, although I think that may be because it was transitioning to more of an ensemble piece - Fiona definitely wasn't quite as front-and-centre this time around, but it did lead to a bunch of random subplots that never really went anywhere or were wrapped up in any way. Amazing work from William H. Macy, Emmy Rossum, and Joan Cusack, although I really do just love every character (Ian being maybe the only uninteresting one). The production values and cinematography are top-notch, although they somewhat overuse the sudden loud musical cue that's meant to be reserved for 'big'/destructive moments. I hear it's only going to get darker as it goes on, and I'm interested to see how they top Monica slitting her wrists at Thanksgiving and Karen being horrifically cold towards her Asian, Down syndrome baby.

edit: Joan Rivers is not in Shameless.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Bown posted:

Finished up season 2 of Shameless earlier. This show is so weird - it spends the first third of each season being this wacky punk rock adult family comedy, and then really ramps up the drama in the final four episodes. It manages to make it work very well, though, with episode 11 being particularly gut-wrenching. There wasn't much of a through-line to the season, which made it feel scattered, although I think that may be because it was transitioning to more of an ensemble piece - Fiona definitely wasn't quite as front-and-centre this time around, but it did lead to a bunch of random subplots that never really went anywhere or were wrapped up in any way. Amazing work from William H. Macy, Emmy Rossum, and Joan Cusack, although I really do just love every character (Ian being maybe the only uninteresting one). The production values and cinematography are top-notch, although they somewhat overuse the sudden loud musical cue that's meant to be reserved for 'big'/destructive moments. I hear it's only going to get darker as it goes on, and I'm interested to see how they top Monica slitting her wrists at Thanksgiving and Karen being horrifically cold towards her Asian, Down syndrome baby.

Seasons 1-3 all follow that format you stated, I'd just like to warn you that 4 is kind of different. It does away with the wacky for the sake of wacky plots that are scattered throughout and is really tightly plotted and has a lot more emotional resonance as a whole. It goes into "serious drama" territory, and if you're shotgunning episodes it's a bit of a tonal shift.

gently caress Shameless is loving good

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Bown posted:

Oh just keep watching. If you thought that spoiler was crazy, it gets even worse. (in a good, Shameless, way)

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
I hereby commit to watching all seven seasons of Tales from the Crypt.

Sorry, I think I pronounced that wrong. I meant to say:

TALES FROM THE CRYPT!:ghost:

e: How often is too often in reporting back here with what we've seen? I wouldn't want to be obnoxious with a thing on every episode.

TheWorstAmy
Nov 27, 2009

I'm a stupid Twitch streamer
I watched a few episodes of the fifth season of Community. I'm gonna be honest with you: I loving hated it. But people say the show was at its best before Harmon got fired, so my :toxx: is...

Community, seasons 1, 2, 3

See you in a week or so.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
I don't think there's such a thing as obnoxious with checkins unless you give like, hourly reports. :) But I would say that if you're going to put a ton of effort into your posts maybe you should consider having its own thread so it'll get more notice, or find / make an appropriate thread like "90's scifi / horror" to generate more discussion. :)

The point of the thread is more about making sure a show is being watched than posting about watching a show, but high quality posting is always great. :)

Speaking of watching a show, when's the generally agreed-upon quality dip in TWW? I'm probably going to speed through a bunch more this weekend. My next month and a half is going to suck at work so I plan on making my weekends as lazy as possible through the near-end of August. I might end up making it all the way through the show (this is not toxx-extension yet.)

Annakie fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jul 2, 2014

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Season four is a mess and ends on a cliffhanger which is completely utterly pissed away in the abomination of a season that is the fifth season, which includes the shittiest possible resolution to the cliffhanger and the most ludicrously dumb plotline in TWW history

Season five is straight garbage, don't watch season five

Also I should probably be done with season 3 of LMS by the end of this three day weekend, the show is as predicted not too great!

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 2, 2014

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Amy Renee posted:

I watched a few episodes of the fifth season of Community. I'm gonna be honest with you: I loving hated it. But people say the show was at its best before Harmon got fired, so my :toxx: is...

Community, seasons 1, 2, 3

See you in a week or so.

Which episodes did you watch? The season didn't finish very strongly for a lot of people, and it's probably way worse for a newcomer. If you didn't like a few specific concept episodes it may get rough for you later, but if you didn't like episode 4 you should change your toxx because I can loving guarantee you won't like Community.

e: Also, I'm currently in the middle of the second episode of Twin Peaks, though I had to look up who a lot of the characters were because I watched the pilot so long ago. Dale Cooper is my new favorite TV character, holy poo poo.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

MrAristocrates posted:

e: Also, I'm currently in the middle of the second episode of Twin Peaks, though I had to look up who a lot of the characters were because I watched the pilot so long ago. Dale Cooper is my new favorite TV character, holy poo poo.

You have a ways before you get there, but if midway through the second season it suddenly feels like you're watching a completely different show don't worry, it picks up again right near the end of the series. Also watch Fire Walk With Me after everything's said and done.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Well I've got Hulu for another week so I'll put myself down for The Tracey Morgan Show and the first two seasons of Moone Boy.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Community is the kind of show you have to ease into. It'll work better to watch from the beginning onwards.

And West Wing is generally considered to get bad after Sorkin leaves between seasons 4 and 5, before getting better (albeit different) halfway through season 6, I believe.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

I'll jump in on this. I've seen a lot of people mention Six Feet Under in the forums so I'll watch the entire thing even if I end up not liking it for whatever reason.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

TheWorstAmy
Nov 27, 2009

I'm a stupid Twitch streamer
Good luck with that one. Don't know what you've heard about it, but the consensus from everything I've read leads to "The Most Pretentious Thing Ever Filmed"

MrAristocrates posted:

Which episodes did you watch? The season didn't finish very strongly for a lot of people, and it's probably way worse for a newcomer. If you didn't like a few specific concept episodes it may get rough for you later, but if you didn't like episode 4 you should change your toxx because I can loving guarantee you won't like Community.

The final four, I think it was. I'd seen Jonathon Banks' filmography and saw he was cast for the fifth season, so I was interested in seeing him playing something that wasn't Mike Ehrmantraut. Because of that, the episode with him playing Dungeons and Dragons with David Cross was pretty drat amusing. Then I lost the plot on the GI Joe episode, and if I describe the events of the two-part series season finale, my brain will seize.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Amy Renee posted:

Good luck with that one. Don't know what you've heard about it, but the consensus from everything I've read leads to "The Most Pretentious Thing Ever Filmed"

The final four, I think it was. I'd seen Jonathon Banks' filmography and saw he was cast for the fifth season, so I was interested in seeing him playing something that wasn't Mike Ehrmantraut. Because of that, the episode with him playing Dungeons and Dragons with David Cross was pretty drat amusing. Then I lost the plot on the GI Joe episode, and if I describe the events of the two-part series season finale, my brain will seize.

Yeah, those are terrible episodes for new viewers to get into the show with.

Cockashocka
Sep 13, 2013

Bubble brother

I've been marathoning Malcolm in the Middle and have made it up to Season 3 and I figure that I might do the rest of the series, but to be safe, I'd rather get to at least season 6. I figure I have enough free time so it can't be that hard

So far it's been great watching all the episodes again and all the other episodes I either never watched or forgot, and looking back the cinematography is pretty excellent. The actors and characters are pretty great and I can't help but love all the scenes at the military school, also noticed that apparently Francis has 2 delinquent friends (Richie and Circus).

So I commit to watching from S3E01 to S6E01, most likely will go over the limit and may even finish the series, but it took me about a month to finish 2 seasons so season 6 should be a good goal to get to

Cockashocka fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jul 5, 2014

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
[L

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Kkkkkkkl zeeegggggg

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Sir Coq of Nandos posted:

Kkkkkkkl zeeegggggg
Good luck. Everything after season 2 is unmitigated dreck.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Deadpool posted:

Seasons 8 and 9 of Supernatural I think for the most part have been as good as any of the best early seasons. With the exception of the spinoff episode which felt nothing like Supernatural at all and instead what I envisioned Vampire Diaries being.

Let's just pretend the spinoff never happened.

Edit: I always wanted to watch LOST, but I never had the time. I still don't but I'd like to watch at least one season before the summer ends. If I remember correctly, It's an hour long show with 25 episodes, so I assume 25 hours is all I can put into this. May watch more depending on time constraints.

Ravane fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jul 5, 2014

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.
Is it too late to jump in? I'll :toxx: if I haven't finished Supernatural seasons 5-9 by the day the first episode of season 10 airs or September 30th, whichever happens first.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Holy poo poo, the third episode of Twin Peaks is loving amazing.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."

Tupping Liberty posted:

Is it too late to jump in? I'll :toxx: if I haven't finished Supernatural seasons 5-9 by the day the first episode of season 10 airs or September 30th, whichever happens first.

It's never too late to start, but September 22nd is the cutoff for everyone. :)

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Annakie posted:

It's never too late to start, but September 22nd is the cutoff for everyone. :)

Okay, sounds good.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Where is a place to watch Friday Night Lights? I have access to all the legal streaming sites I just know it's not on Netflix anymore.

Anyway put me down for that! My former sociology professor (slash life advisor slash older person friend) insists I watch it, saying season 2 onward it veers away from "yeah football" into "oh hey racism and poverty," which is when she says it gets amazing. I'll try for all five seasons but let's just say definitely the first two before September?

e: looks like it's on Amazon Prime :patriot: sorry colbert.

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jul 6, 2014

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

EccoRaven posted:

Where is a place to watch Friday Night Lights? I have access to all the legal streaming sites I just know it's not on Netflix anymore.

Anyway put me down for that! My former sociology professor (slash life advisor slash older person friend) insists I watch it, saying season 2 onward it veers away from "yeah football" into "oh hey racism and poverty," which is when she says it gets amazing. I'll try for all five seasons but let's just say definitely the first two before September?

e: looks like it's on Amazon Prime :patriot: sorry colbert.

It's actually still up on Netflix, you made me panic for a second there.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

MrAristocrates posted:

It's actually still up on Netflix, you made me panic for a second there.

Oh hey. Yeah the movie came up first for me so I assumed it was off.

Sorry for scaring you!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I've got to be careful watching Supernatural on Netflix in a row because the next episode thing is usually way too detailed.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh, I forgot Joan Cusack's character in Shameless liked to gently caress guys in the rear end.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kind of funny how Sam pretty much becomes instantly suspicious of Meg the second time she shows up.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

muscles like this? posted:

Kind of funny how Sam pretty much becomes instantly suspicious of Meg the second time she shows up.

muscles like this?
, I just realized we're doing the same show but opposite ends. Having done those seasons last summer, I can say you're in for a treat. I hear Seasons 6-9 are a bit harder to get through.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm actually a couple of days behind where I should be since I didn't get any episodes in from Thursday through Saturday as I was at my parents' house for the holiday.

Cockashocka
Sep 13, 2013

Bubble brother

Finished with Season 3 and now about 2 episodes into season 4.

Notable events include Francis getting out of military school and going to Alaska to work for minimum wage in a bar and then suddenly he's married.

As for funny episodes, that one where Dewey got a dog was pretty hilarious (Dewey's Dog), so was the one where Malcolm got an ancient computer that can apparently run The Sims (Hal Coaches) and the one where Reese goes to driving school (Reese Drives)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Its been forever since I watched the show but I never really understood the Francis stuff. Mostly in how he was just basically off in a different show that didn't really connect to the main cast in any real way.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Putting my hat in the ring: I know it doesn't sound like much but I am committing to one season of Twin Peaks with a stretch goal of Season 2. I'm willing to write about my impressions of every few episodes.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
Currently on episode 5 of season 1 of LOST. It's actually really good! My favorite characters are Saayid, Locke, and mentally challenged guy from Hannibal.

But drat, this shaky cam footage is slowly killing me. Also, I am not liking the Dr. Adam Sandler clone.

Ravane fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jul 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Allright I got a little ahead of myself while working on a craft project and already finish season 5 of Supernatural. I can't imagine watching it at the time and having it possibly be the ending of the show. I mean, I obviously know who's still on the show now so it isn't as suspenseful, but that was a really well done story arc.

• Locked thread