Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

"We're dead. Bartowski's got a gun."

KilGrey posted:

If anyone wants to participate and can't think of a show, I highly recommend The Shield.
Agreed. For Canadian Netflix fans who want to participate - I cannot recommend Friday Night Lights and Fringe enough. All their seasons are currently on Netflix, and they are pretty deservedly high-naggable "have you watched this yet?!" shows. Fringe is especially good to binge because halfway through s1, once it gets the serial plot going, it doesn't slow down.

If you want to start easy and want to catch up on a show that is currently airing and very buzzable - Brooklyn Nine Nine's first season is now up. It's hysterically funny - plus it docks ten points off your White Privilege card for watching the only show right now that comes close to Orange is the New Black's ethnic and sexual diversity.

For me? I'm going to buckle down and :toxx: myself to watch the first season of Avatar: the Last Airbender. I remember watching the pilot when it first aired and being gobsmacked by the creativity and the animation, but I guess I fell away from it and everyone's been telling me how awesome it is (and how absolutely lovely and loving racist M Night Shitmypant's film version was).

Deadpool: Yeah, the Mama Monster and Leviathan seasons of Supernatural turned me right off, but I may come back to the series after seeing how the last season ended.

muscles like this?: "French Mistake" is one of the post-five Supernatural episodes that's a standout, agreed - also recommending "Clap Your Hands If You Believe" for judicious use of X-files references, David Bowie, and a microwave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

Welp, I'm now :toxx:ing myself the next two seasons of Avatar because drat. PEOPLE WERE RIGHT. This show is loving addictive and those 21 episodes went down so, so smooth.

There's a LOT to love about this series (Zuko and Iro! The animation! The fight scenes!) but what I loved most about this first season is the PACING. This show is absolutely miraculous in how well it conveys an epic tone and detailed world-building in short episodes. It also has an excellent, accumulative mythology that builds from episode to episode without jarring the (generally) episodic nature of Aang's adventures with Sokka and Katara. Like Zuko and Iro - yeah, they're the villains (so far), so they pop up nearly every episode to stir poo poo up, but we also get to learn more and more about them and their relationship.

The show's also pretty decent at screwing around with expectations. Like the episode where there are two clans who hate each other thanks to differing views on how their ancestors interacted, and I was kind of expecting the whole "it was a big misunderstanding!" reveal. Instead, Aang tells both clans a baldfaced lie about why their prejudice is nonsense because he's too tired of their bullshit to put up with it.

"The Blue Spirit" episode was also epic as hell. FANTASTIC fight scenes, great character interaction.

Seriously, there are hour-long dramas currently on television that do less with their time than Avatar.

I'm off to binge on the second season!

Fake Edit: Holy poo poo Zuko's sister is a loving psychopath.

AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

It only gets better. The final season in particular is some incredible television.
And then there's Legend of Korra!!! :dance:

AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

computer parts posted:

If you liked the first season of The Last Airbender you will probably like Korra just fine.

This goes doubly so if you liked the third season of The Last Airbender.
That's my question - is it just *not as good* as Avatar? Or actually actively terrible?

AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

Finished season 2 of Avatar. Dammit, Zuko, you little poo poo!

Shotgunning season 3 - gotta love the Fire Nation Footloose episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

Finished all of Avatar. Man. I am so glad I watched it - it ranks right up there with Gargoyles and Batman The Animated Series for me - with bonus Mark Hamill as Fire Lord Ozai!

Blown away by not just the animation and the pacing, but how they manage to balance a storyline with some pretty horrifically dark implications (war, murder, death, revenge, child abuse, batshit insane psychotic sisters) in order to keep it family friendly. It really is a family show - I could watch this with my kids and we'd all still enjoy it.

The only two questions I had with this series were - is Jet actually dead? The show kind of chickened out on this (although they do make it fun of it during the meta "Ember Island Players" episode). And also - Zuko's mother?

Otherwise awesome. Excited for Korra - I'm keeping my expectations in check, but the character design and setting look fascinating.

• Locked thread