Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Deadpool posted:

Seasons 8 and 9 of Supernatural I think for the most part have been as good as any of the best early seasons. With the exception of the spinoff episode which felt nothing like Supernatural at all and instead what I envisioned Vampire Diaries being.

Let's just pretend the spinoff never happened.

Edit: I always wanted to watch LOST, but I never had the time. I still don't but I'd like to watch at least one season before the summer ends. If I remember correctly, It's an hour long show with 25 episodes, so I assume 25 hours is all I can put into this. May watch more depending on time constraints.

Ravane fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jul 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
Currently on episode 5 of season 1 of LOST. It's actually really good! My favorite characters are Saayid, Locke, and mentally challenged guy from Hannibal.

But drat, this shaky cam footage is slowly killing me. Also, I am not liking the Dr. Adam Sandler clone.

Ravane fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jul 9, 2014

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Bown posted:

Bravo! (I can't be bothered to look up the smilie how do people even remember the smilies on here anyway?)

Dude from Hannibal doesn't show up until season 4.

Thought that dude was Charlie the musician. :doh:

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
Quick Update:

Currently on :lost: Season 1, Episode 10.

I'm actually going at a decent pace, I may just add another season to my toxx, depending my schedule requirements. I'm noticing that Lost is largely a character drama, rather than a typical plot driven show. Given the rather mundane scenario of island survival, whose daily life requirements rarely deviate from "get water, get food, get wood," it seems like this show had found a perfect niche by introducing complex and diverse characters forced to interact with each other through their unique scenario. By throwing out the number "46" for the amount of characters, they are able to produce and subdue characters at will, though I imagine that there will be a set number of characters as the actual "main" protagonists. Whether this show will kill some or all of them off is yet to be seen.

I actually don't know much about this show other than the ending supposedly being really bad. Something about them all being in hell or whatever. The island seems pretty mysterious enough, what with the random polar bear and the crazy french lady, though they have yet to reintroduce that creature that killed the pilot. I imagine the next appearance will offer some explanation to its' origin, either that or more questions.

There are a few characters I dislike, particularly Kate and Jack, but they're so central to the plot, I worry they will never die. I don't trust John Locke, though I enjoy his character immensely. Him and Sayid.

If you haven't given Lost a try, check it out. It hooks you fast, and it seems like a great ride.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Bown posted:

The worst part about that spoiler is that you could be trolling or you could be totally serious. Either way, they're not in hell and that stems from people fundamentally misunderstanding the final episode and being whiny dipshits

Gotcha. The assumption of them all being in hell confused the hell out of me, considering that despite their flaws, they're not all terrible people. I especially had trouble believing a baby would be sent to hell, but this episode about the psychic had me considering she was harboring a demon child. I'm a bit glad this is not the case.

I can finally watch this show without any preconceptions.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
So I finished LOST season 1 much faster than I was anticipating. I've already started season 2, and the first episode was brilliant, especially that beginning. I'm going to go ahead and toxx myself for season 3 as well, as my schedule appears to be more gentle than what I first expected.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
Just finished season 2 of :lost:. Amazing season finale. The Dharma initiative brings so many questions to the table and several red herrings. The ominous countdown from 108 minutes is an obvious reference to Hindu and Buddhist scripture, in which the number 108 is considered auspicious. What is the purpose of the facility and who began it? (and what is its connection to the Widmore family?) I'm thinking that Desmond's race was intentionally routed near the Dharma initiative, possibly to increase the population size or to introduce more variables to the island. Father Widmore may have some controlling interest in the initiative.

I'm worried I might not finish this toxx as university starts very soon, and I've got quite a few papers to turn in. But I will get as far as I can. Season 3 will be my last for this toxx, but certainly not my last for this show. I'm glad I finally watched it. The entire experience has been thrilling so far, I've many questions (wasn't too surprised Henry Gale (Finch) turned out to be bossman, but incredibly surprised that he let Walt go. What did he use him for, I wonder? And will they truly make it off the island? Gale mentioned that The Others were "the good guys," interestingly enough I don't think a single Other has killed any of the flight 815ers, though the reverse has occurred many times. The children and adults were kidnapped, but I don't believe they were killed. Even Charlie, who nearly died, survived his ordeal. Perhaps, in some perverted sense, they are telling the truth.

Can't wait to see more, though I worry that not all my questions will be answered.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
I'm nearly finished with my toxx of :lost:

I just wanted to say that Roger WorkMan is the greatest character. He was number 1.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
:lost: :toxx: :wow: Warning Spoilers.

This is the most incredible show I've ever seen. Are there sometimes some obvious flaws? Absolutely. Like why can't the smoke monster jump over the sound barrier if he can fly?

However, treating this entire show as purely a character drama instead of a mystery show is, I find, a great decision to have made early on. I attribute much of the island's mysteries to the fact that it is a magical island. Most people think J. J. Abrams and assign his name to science fiction, but this is a story where a scientific program goes to an island to study and attempt to control it's strange properties, only to fail. Welcome to the world of magical realism. There are no scientific explanations in the realm of magic, things just happen in accordance to what the island wants.

That said, I find that each character arc is uniquely compelling, expertly written, and perfectly weaved into each other. Charlie's early religious adherence, his downfall to heroin, his subsequent rehabilitation with the aid of Locke, rediscovering Mr. Eko's plane full of heroin, losing everyone's trust, the island attempting to kill him, and finally his heroic sacrifice to save Claire and A-a-ron.

Ultimately, Charlie's sacrifice and the island's wish for his death coincided, but at least he chose his death to mean something.

There are quite a few mythological references in this show.

Jack's kidnapping by the others and subsequent return is marked by heavy distrust by his own group. I found it incredibly similar to Sita, from the Ramayana, and her kidnapping by Ravana. Upon her return to her kingdom, all the citizens were in uproar, claiming she had been unfaithful to Rama during the time she had spent at the enemy's base, despite the fact that Sita was an atmic entity and had already proven herself trustworthy.

Similarly, Locke's journey appeared to be that of Gilgamesh. He spends his time adventuring, hunting for boars, basically being the hero for the camp. Along the way, Enkidu, aka Boone, dies. And suddenly Locke is shattered. He starts spending his time trying to find his purpose, his so-called immortality. He seeks out his Utnapishtim, the island's magic. It leads him everywhere, including the camp of the others where he learns about Jacob, whom he finally meets only to be disappointed, believing Ben to be a paranoid schizophrenic as Jacob is invisible to Locke's eyes. However, the story is subverted when the island contacts him directly, saves his life and brings him to the radio tower.

Finally, I love that this show explains that nobody is irredeemable. Mr. Eko was a hitman and a major thug become priest. Sawyer was a con man and a murderer, but he's still portrayed as a decent guy. He's an rear end in a top hat, but he's still a genuinely good guy with a bad past.

Even though the toxx is finished, I'm still continuing with Lost. I'd like to thank Annakie for starting this fun forum game, as it really turned me onto a fantastic show; one that I really recommend to anyone who hasn't watched it yet.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Sober posted:

Just the first 3 seasons? I think 4-6 are perfectly fine but I'd like to see your opinions on them. This is where people get ruined (and in some cases, so does the show)

Yeah, I'll definitely let you know. Currently working through season 4, didn't realize it was so short (only 13 episodes).

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
So I have two updates:

The first is that I'm gonna go ahead and add Season 4 of Lost to my toxx.

The second is that I've finished my season 4 toxx of Lost and man it was gripping till the very end.

Time travel was a huge twist this season, a season which albeit short, never felt rushed. No doubt Time travelling will have a major plotline next season. Locke was Bentham? I don't understand how they knew who Jeremy Bentham was, as Locke has never gone by that name. ever. Sun has slowly become a badass as the show progressed, but this new corporate bitch side of her is probably my favorite. She wields power as if she was always fettered to it; this new commanding side of her is brilliant. Sayid finally found his love; sure she's killed a year later, but don't cry because it's over, cry because it happened or so the saying goes. Sayid doesn't seem like the type of man who could settle down, certainly not a man destined to settle down. Hugo is craazy. And Jack turned into his father. I think it makes perfect sense because he was always a man without a sense of purpose. His father, for the longest time, gave him a purpose, a goal. When his father dies, he temporarily loses his path, until the islanders elect him their leader. Leaving the island, leaving his father behind, Jack is once again without a purpose. This deep-seated feeling digs at him, prevents him from coping with the deaths of everyone on the boat, forces him to take the blame and once again feel helpless and unneeded, just like as he once felt while attempting to fix his ex-wife's spine. I don't believe it is Jack's destiny to leave the island, I certainly think that if he goes back, he will be there to stay.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Joose Caboose posted:

Man, I love hearing from people who are watching Lost for the first time - glad you're enjoying the experience. What'd you think of "The Constant"?

The Constant was actually how I thought time travel would work. Going back and forth with a smaller time limit each time built tension incredibly fast, but what I don't know is if Desmond actually changed anything or if this is how it was all supposed to happen anyway. When Daniel looks into his book, it implies the former, but also suggests the possibility that Daniel may have forgotten. I don't how he could have forgotten, though small nuances in his character reveal him to be not as mentally secure as one would think he should be. Ultimately, I thought it was a brilliant episode, probably one of the best in the series, besides the pilot and season 2's first episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
For the most part, the books and the series have followed generally the same plotline. However, there have been some twists not seen in the books, as well as some slightly important omitted events from the tv show. I guess it's good though because not everything in the books can be translated to TV, so instead they've just deviated whenever they see fit.

Never read a game of thrones thread, they're full of trolls and spoilers. Always.

Bran's plotline does not get better. He spends 4 seasons trying to get somewhere with his crippled legs, it's the most boring thing ever. GRRM should have killed him off at the beginning. Hodor is the only redeeming part of those scenes.

• Locked thread