Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I've always told myself that I would pick up It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia one of these days, so this seems like a good time. It's hard to guess what kind of time I'm going to have to devote to it, but I'm going to go ahead and commit to the first 5 seasons by the end of summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I'm nearing the midway point of my 5 season commitment to It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and kicking myself for not checking this show out sooner. The show so far has been consistently hilarious. It reminds me a lot of Seinfeld but taken to extremes that show couldn't get away with. I was a bit iffy on the the retooling season 2 went through when they brought Danny DeVito on as a regular, but his character integrates well within a few episodes.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I kind of flew right past my prior commitment so I've decided to tack on the remaining Netflix seasons of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia to my Toxx. That will bring me to 8 since the 9th is not available yet.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I finished my run of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia last week but hadn't had a chance to type up my final thoughts.

Season 8 ends with "The Cereal Defense" which is actually a pretty run of the mill episode compared to finales like "The Nightman Cometh" or "The High School Reunion." While driving and trying to make sense of Charlie's tape recorded GPS directions, Frank rear-ends Dennis's car at a traffic light which causes Dennis to spill the bowl of cereal he was eating. Their cars are fine, but Dennis insists that Frank pay to have the interior of the car cleaned, a demand that Frank balks at because Dennis should have known better than to eat a bowl of cereal while driving a car. I've seen this show get compared to Seinfeld fairly often and while it's hardly a clone this is certainly the type of event that I could only see Seinfeld and Sunny staging an episode off of successfully.

Apart from the first and last minutes this is pretty much a bottle episode. Having committed his fair share of sex crimes, Dennis isn't eager to take this case to a real court, so the gang stage their own trial in the pub to decide who is liable. Dee and Charlie assume the role of lawyers for Frank and Dennis while Mac plays judge and bailiff. The whole thing quickly becomes a clusterfuck involving Mac trying to convince Charlie that evolution isn't real, and in the end they just decide to blame the whole thing on Dee. Typically this show likes to pair off the characters into their own subplots, but episodes like this where everyone gets to play off each other are always welcome.

Overall I loved this series and look forward to season 9 showing up on Netflix (hopefully before season 10 begins). So far they've managed to keep a pretty high standard of quality throughout what I've seen. The only episode I can outright say I didn't care for was "Frank's Brother" from season 7. I appreciate their willingness to experiment a bit, but this flashback to Frank's life in the 70's was light on laughs and criminally pushed most of the cast to the periphery. Fortunately everything they've done since has been good to great, so I guess they haven't had their shark jump moment yet.

• Locked thread