Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I went back and forth on whether I should do this, but gently caress it: I'll commit to finishing all current seasons of Shameless (US) before September 22nd. That's just under three full seasons worth of episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Well, first episode back on Shameless and a naked old guy got shanked in a prison due to a hilarious misunderstanding. Why did I ever stop watching this show again?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That is the one I'm watching! The original sucks.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Finished up season 2 of Shameless earlier. This show is so weird - it spends the first third of each season being this wacky punk rock adult family comedy, and then really ramps up the drama in the final four episodes. It manages to make it work very well, though, with episode 11 being particularly gut-wrenching. There wasn't much of a through-line to the season, which made it feel scattered, although I think that may be because it was transitioning to more of an ensemble piece - Fiona definitely wasn't quite as front-and-centre this time around, but it did lead to a bunch of random subplots that never really went anywhere or were wrapped up in any way. Amazing work from William H. Macy, Emmy Rossum, and Joan Cusack, although I really do just love every character (Ian being maybe the only uninteresting one). The production values and cinematography are top-notch, although they somewhat overuse the sudden loud musical cue that's meant to be reserved for 'big'/destructive moments. I hear it's only going to get darker as it goes on, and I'm interested to see how they top Monica slitting her wrists at Thanksgiving and Karen being horrifically cold towards her Asian, Down syndrome baby.

edit: Joan Rivers is not in Shameless.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Community is the kind of show you have to ease into. It'll work better to watch from the beginning onwards.

And West Wing is generally considered to get bad after Sorkin leaves between seasons 4 and 5, before getting better (albeit different) halfway through season 6, I believe.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh, I forgot Joan Cusack's character in Shameless liked to gently caress guys in the rear end.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ravane posted:

Currently on episode 5 of season 1 of LOST. It's actually really good! My favorite characters are Saayid, Locke, and mentally challenged guy from Hannibal.

Bravo! (I can't be bothered to look up the smilie how do people even remember the smilies on here anyway?)

Dude from Hannibal doesn't show up until season 4.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I was thinking of the "Bravo!" one with the guy clapping or whatever.

Anyway for some actual content I'm five episodes into Shameless season 3 and I'm having a whale of a time. This show's ace. But the ending to the latest episode has me very worried for the future of our favourite family!

edit: :bravo: oh yeah ok that is easy. I just got annoyed last time I tried to do :shh: because it took me like four tries because who has more h's than s's in the world sssh honestly

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Newsroom is hilarious and I eagerly await the third season in hopes of more ridiculous stupid crap.

People shouldn't be giving it awards though.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Up to 307 with Shameless. There was a moment in the sixth episode that made me wish a hundred kinds of death on a certain character and I'll be really sad if that doesn't happen before I finish. This show is really great.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You're not very nice to the people you give shows to, are you, xeria?

Finished season 3 of Shameless last night and had an absolute whale of a time, but I got really sick of Jimmy's whiny poo poo by the end. Can't wait to start season 4 and see what this plotline is that's so horrifying hcreight and DivisionPost haven't even been able to finish the season yet.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The worst part about that spoiler is that you could be trolling or you could be totally serious. Either way, they're not in hell and that stems from people fundamentally misunderstanding the final episode and being whiny dipshits

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
No but people interpreted it as "so they were dead all along???" which clearly isn't the case (explaining for Ravane's benefit, not to actually interact with you, for obvious reasons).

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Warning that season 1 is about 8 episodes and then 2 is 22/23, if you weren't aware already.

Taking a break from Shameless before starting on s4 to finish season 1 of Masters of Sex (so doing a second toxx in the middle of the first). I haven't seen any of it since October or so and I totally forgot how loveable some of the secondary characters were.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
As great as it is people are watching Twin Peaks y'all should wait for the bluray set coming out this month cause it's remastered and the previews of it look so much nicer

edit: check it

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Well I definitely wasn't encouraging piracy if that's what anyone was thinking! :ssh:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think season 2 is good for about 8-10 episodes. There are really underrated bits in the first few eps there.

Caught up with Masters of Sex which is really really good. S2 premiere didn't have as much change as I was hoping, but I'll deal.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've heard tons of people gush over The Americans but very few talk about Masters of Sex. Americans was fine but I fell off halfway through the first reason and don't really see myself picking it up again. shrug smilie.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah but the GoT episodes are like 10-15 mins longer on average

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Four episodes into Shameless s4 and it's not gotten bad or anything but I am not really feeling it as much as I did, the reason being it seems so much more manufactured than before. The Lip plot, which I've heard singled out as the best of the season, largely depends on everyone at his college being cartoonishly evil and not cutting him even one second of slack for anything. Debbie, who was always my favourite character, is now the most stereotypical adult's idea of what a teenager going through puberty is ever. And Fiona's plot requires her to be a fuckton more irresponsible than we've ever seen before (with one quick dialogue scene trying to establish she's always been like that) for the sake of a plot and character (her bf's brother) that is really just not interesting whatsoever.

Mickey's plot is by far my favourite so far, which is not something I thought I'd say going in.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Writer's strike year?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
At least you've spared yourself the torture of watching what even big fans call "the Abed Jesus episode". And that's early season 2, way before the now-haters think it got really pretentious.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

hcreight posted:

I knew Stringer was out of the show after S3, I was sort of hoping it was because he successfully got his legitimate business operations off the ground and was out of the life, instead of him getting killed. :(
Hahaha, that's adorable :3:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
With The Wire people tend to suggest setting some time aside and watching the first four episodes in one go. It definitely takes a while to get to grips with its' rhythm.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The first four episodes of Shameless s4 annoyed me so much that I've watched 4 full seasons of The Sopranos since then. But I still have a month so I guess I'll get on with it at some point.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I got way way into The Sopranos can mine just be "watched every episode of The Sopranos again" because I really want to finish that before Shameless and also even watching new episodes of the hour long shows I watch because oh my god The Sopranos season 6

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have 5 episodes left in my toxx (everyone was right, the season totally picks up after the first third) so I'll be done soon.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I finished Shameless but then moved city so it might take me a few more days to get my thoughts together.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just wondering, hc, how would you rank the seasons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Between the fantastic Tales From the Crypt piece and the essay on Xena above, this definitely isn't going to hold up, but hell:

My toxx was for me to finish watching the American version of Shameless, which I had stopped a little under halfway through its second season (of four). Shameless is for definite my kind of show. It's punk rock and tongue-in-cheek at the same time, and every single character but one is amazingly likeable (even Joan Cusack!), even when some of them are being horrible vile shits. The child actors are some of the best I've seen, and it always pulled off its sharp left turns into drama. Seasons 2 and 3 were really great, and there was also plenty of excellent stuff in 4; I especially enjoyed the Fiona plotline/showing how lovely it is for convicts, and Sammi's character. The last scene with Frank was incredible too. OH and Lip's roommate is the best.

However, it never got as great as I was expecting it to be from the way some goons were about it. It's a solid B+ show but never tipped over into becoming one of my favourites. One major character is absolutely crappy - everyone who's seen the show knows what I'm talking about, but yeah, Jimmy/Steve/whatever suuuuucks. Season 3 is my favourite season but the "Jimmy can't handle working a normal job!" thing was maybe the worst thing the show has done so far. Also, I had some issues with season 4 - the first third felt like it was changing a bunch of characters' personalities in order to make the plotlines make sense (boy genius Lip, courted by MIT, suddenly can't handle normal college?) and by the end a lot of the storylines simply ended without any real wrap-up or natural conclusion. However, I'll definitely keep watching. It's balls-to-the-wall fun and, as I said before, my sort of thing. It just hasn't reached true brilliance for me yet.

Also, Debbie is totally the best character.

• Locked thread