Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Where is a place to watch Friday Night Lights? I have access to all the legal streaming sites I just know it's not on Netflix anymore.

Anyway put me down for that! My former sociology professor (slash life advisor slash older person friend) insists I watch it, saying season 2 onward it veers away from "yeah football" into "oh hey racism and poverty," which is when she says it gets amazing. I'll try for all five seasons but let's just say definitely the first two before September?

e: looks like it's on Amazon Prime :patriot: sorry colbert.

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jul 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

MrAristocrates posted:

It's actually still up on Netflix, you made me panic for a second there.

Oh hey. Yeah the movie came up first for me so I assumed it was off.

Sorry for scaring you!

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

AnimeJune posted:

That's my question - is it just *not as good* as Avatar? Or actually actively terrible?

They didn't realize they were renewed for more seasons until halfway through production, so halfway through the first season the pacing gets really, really, really weird.

It's not actively terrible, though. Just a disappointment compared to Avatar.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I am unpopular so I have no weekend plans, so reading and watching TV is on the top of my list :toot:

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I started watching the first episode of Friday Night Lights and then I stopped because it was a Friday evening and I was drinking wine and I got distracted.

That was a month ago and then I started the West Wing and well here we are today.

I'll get around to it sooner or later I promise!

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I hate asking to switch over to the West Wing but I can't turn away from it.

Can I switch to the first two seasons of the West Wing?

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Ok just watched the first episode of Friday Night Lights; will watch about an episode a day with a marathon on Labor Day.

I never thought I could care this much about high school football. :o

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Just finished season 1 of FNL, well on track to finish the toxx.

It's really good y'all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Just finished my toxx :toot:

I'm glad I checked the thread just now; I thought it was due Monday night, not tomorrow. Whoops! I was on the road all day going to a wedding four states away, and since the wedding is tomorrow I was just gonna post my review Monday afternoon when I got home again. But here it is now yay!

Friday Night Lights seems to have a lot in common with Greek dramas. For instance, the sports commentators during games initially really annoyed me as they felt like sloppy writing, recapping the previous chunk of the episode as exposition and telling the audience explicitly what's happening and how to feel about the game itself. But then I noticed it's more like a Greek chorus - a narrator who provides asides to the audience explaining the emotional depth to the characters. And, a number of the characters are sorts-of heroes with their own pretty dramatic flaw: Jason's physical disability, Smash's ego, Saracen's being really awkward all the time god drat.

I dunno it's something I noticed and I thought it was cool, but it's been ~many years since my classes on theater history so I would need to research more to have a more intelligent comment about that.

Also, while I'm sure we all know this since we're all goons and therefore have a natural affinity against "dumb jocks," high school football players getting away with literal murder is totally possible. I am reminded of the story of the Glen Ridge rape, where members of a high school football team violently gang-raped a mentally-handicapped woman, yet even after authority figures in the town heard about it, three weeks went by before they called the police. Also sidebar but I just found out the wedding tomorrow is in the same Glen Ridge!! HOORAY WHAT A SMALL WORLD.

The show has some flaws. The writing, as in, plotting, is fairly scattered; e.g., Waverly (Smash's S1 girlfriend) just sorta disappeared with her arc left unresolved, and S2's stupid Landry Tyra Murder Mystery just felt really forced, was resolved really quickly, and then everyone just sorta moved on like it never happened. And this show has so many "surreptitiously saw them making out" moments it would put Downton Abbey to shame. Also, the shaky-cam took a while to get used to, and for the first few episodes it even made me a bit nauseous at times.

But the characters are really delightful.

- I like that Riggins thinks he's in a gritty HBO or FX drama, but everyone else is like "lol no more like degrassi." I initially really disliked him as just a canonical example of Everything Wrong with Dudes, but he's done a complete 180 in my heart.
--- Also, S1 when Riggins and Jason saw each other for the first time since Jason's accident, I was straight up sobbing. Something about big burly men expressing deep, non-homoerotic emotions for each other really gets to me.

- I think Lyla is the kind of person who will go to college, take a women's studies class (you know, just to fill out her schedule, "seemed interesting"), and then flash forward to present day she's living in Austin with her life partner, she's finished her sleeve, and she just got gauges (nothing too dramatic, just a half-inch). "Can you believe I was a cheerleader?" she tells people at her bar. "With the pompoms and ribbons and everything."

- The show was recommended to me by my former sociology professor slash current life-mentor slash old-person friend; I now see that she is more or less Tami Taylor, just with a PhD. I am truly blessed to have a Tami Taylor in my life.
--- I also like how the Taylors are the only family in the show that have a functional, two-parent domestic life, and it really makes it clear how hard they have to work at it.

- I really dislike Buddy Garrity; he's just really sleazy. When I'm not wishing ill on him I think he's pathetic, in the traditional sense of the word - totally pitiable but he had it coming so. Also this entire plotline with him and Santiago is strange and vaguely problematic, but I heard it disappears like Waverly into the aether S3.
--- Sidebar but in a recent episode I was doing my nails and not paying attention to the screen when I heard a voice and I was like "is that Weevil?" and then I looked up and it was!! :3:

- I like to imagine that, unless it's totally impossible, every actor plays the same character in every TV show they're in. So Landry to me was always just "Todd." My old roommate and I watched all of Breaking Bad together, and now she's super excited for me to be watching FNL, so I texted her all about Todd's uncovered backstory: "he killed the rapist, but he got a taste for blood and became a hardened killer" "it makes sense his dad is a cop, because his dad's brother is Uncle Jack, so Todd's dad always had to be 'good' in comparison." "Todd graduated and met Riggin's old roommate and started making meth, but had to move to New Mexico to save his father's reputation if he ever got caught" (etc.). It makes too much sense for it not to be true.

Overall I do really like the show. The drama can be a little heavy-handed (my earlier comparison to Degrassi isn't very far off base sometimes), but I eat that stuff up, especially when the characters are as interesting as they are. And Season 1 made me really emotionally invested in Dillon Panthers Football, which is not something I expected to happen at all.

Questions for the audience:
- Season 2 was truncated because of the Writer's Strike, right? That would be about the time for it; does anyone know what they would have planned to do had the season been ~9 episodes longer?
- How old are these kids supposed to be? Because clearly only Julie is actually still a teenager, and the show is really hit-or-miss as to whether we as the audience should be creeped out by relationships between a kid and an adult or not. I've given up trying to figure it out and instead am just admiring the eye candy (Tami's sister and Riggins would have made a really hot couple. Actually, anyone and Riggins. I mean drat.).

If I think of more I'll post them.

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Sep 21, 2014

• Locked thread