Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

I'll commit to season three of acclaimed television sitcom Last Man Standing

You're already committed, go back to your thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

I know. They're terrible.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
"In the end, charm and humor wear more comfortably than rage and drama. Audiences love that kind of character. Fate loves that kind of character. If you need a quick thumbnail philosophy for living, it would not be a terrible one to simply remember to ask yourself, whenever you face adversity, “What would Jim Rockford do?” For posing that question, and giving it such an entertaining answer, thank you James Garner, and RIP." -James Poniewozik

Sold. In James Garner's honor I will commit to the entire first season of The Rockford Files. I never knew him in his prime, but he was a drat fine elder statesman. Here's to him.

EDIT: Just to escape any technicalities, I'm committing to however much of Season 1 is on Netflix. I know Quantum Leap, for instance, isn't complete on there. Just want to cover my rear end in case it's the same deal with Rockford.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jul 22, 2014

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Haven't been checking in like I'm supposed to because I haven't been watching like I was supposed to. But tonight nothing was on so I decided to cozy up with a Domino's pizza and the third episode of Rockford Files.

Naturally I regret the Domino's pizza, but I'm now convinced that Jim Rockford is the coolest son of a bitch to ever grace a TV screen. It's not even a contest, this man is The Standard against which we are all measured. How do I even begin to explain it? Imagine a man with so much "cool" in the tank he can take an rear end whupping and still come out like a million bucks. And if you can't imagine how that works you need to see this loving show and learn for yourself.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
I started this thing off of an obituary from James Poniewozik. He said "If you need a quick thumbnail philosophy for living, it would not be a terrible one to simply remember to ask yourself, whenever you face adversity, 'What would Jim Rockford do?'"

Having FINALLY finished the season last night, in that honor, I present "Things I Learned From Jim Rockford":

1.) Pay Attention. The world around you is constantly giving you information, and it doesn't necessarily tell you when it's doing so. So put your loving phone down; you can do Sudoku later.

2.) Be Patient. Sometimes the pressure's on and you can't help it. But most times there's no reason to deploy anything more than a bright smile and a folksy demeanor, even when the other guy's making GBS threads on you.

3.) Take Your Punches. It doesn't matter that you lose the occasional fistfight. If you're still walking, then you haven't lost the war. All that matters is that you outlast and outthink your enemy.

4.) You Can Always Walk Away. But really, that's just going to annoy the poo poo out of you for the rest of your life.

5.) People Who Sucker You Into Doing a Job For Free Because "It's the Right Thing" Are Just the Worst. Really, they are.

And finally,

6.) Nothing Wrong With Simple. I can't write a whole lot about The Rockford Files because at its core it's an episodic show about what a badass detective Jim Rockford is. Doesn't mean it's not worth your time though, because goddamn Jim Rockford is a badass detective.

Have to admit, though, I probably would've enjoyed this more if I wasn't crazy enough to Toxx this thing.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Sep 20, 2014

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

quote:

Questions for the audience:
- Season 2 was truncated because of the Writer's Strike, right? That would be about the time for it; does anyone know what they would have planned to do had the season been ~9 episodes longer?

Smash's graduation would've come into play, probably some more closure on Santiago, certainly a climactic game between the Coach Taylor-led Panthers and whatever team Bill MacGregor landed with. The thing you have to understand is that the writers knew they hosed up with Season 2; the guy who was championing their show at NBC was unceremoniously kicked out, the new network president was literally 80s Guy from Futurama, and the pressure was on to do more buzzy, traditionally exciting stories in hopes of bringing up the ratings.

The fans hated it. Peter Berg hated it. The cast was in open rebellion; Zach Gilford actually gave an annoyed interview claiming "You can get sex and death anywhere on TV," and rumor has it that the only reason Tami Taylor and that intern dude who was helping her out at the school didn't go any farther is because Connie Britton told the writers "No loving way." And the ratings actually fell, so it was all for nothing.

So a lot of what they were doing in what ended up being the last few episodes of Season 2 was unfucking those poor decisions and trying to ground the far-fetched drama in something real (see: the shower scene with Coach and Matt). Most likely, that would have continued, but after they got a third season via DirecTV, they decided to just reboot the show, drat the continuity. Only one or two threads from season 2 were picked back up.

quote:

- How old are these kids supposed to be? Because clearly only Julie is actually still a teenager, and the show is really hit-or-miss as to whether we as the audience should be creeped out by relationships between a kid and an adult or not. I've given up trying to figure it out and instead am just admiring the eye candy (Tami's sister and Riggins would have made a really hot couple. Actually, anyone and Riggins. I mean drat.).

First off, Julie and her absurd taste in guys who aren't Matt Saracen is often the worst part of the show. To be fair I think it only happens one other time, but once it does, hoo-boy.

Now, to answer your question: the ages of the players are a bit fluid. For instance, Riggins should have been out with Smash, but they retconned him a year younger so he doesn't graduate until Season 3 (in retrospect, this might make his fling with his neighbor a little more messed up). The characters are however old they need to be for the story. You can't call that great, consistent writing, but they make it work.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Toxxupation posted:

For the record Jason katims has been explicitly on record that he made his decisions for season 2 without network interference or influence, and the executive shuffle was essentially an unlucky coincidence

Greenblatt explicitly thought FNL was worthless and wanted nothing to do with it but he didn't influence fnls crwative direction at all

Robert Greenblatt wasn't working for NBC at the time, it was Ben Silverman. And while there was no explicit network interference, the oral history Grantland ran claims that the writers felt pressure to do SOMETHING to shake things up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Toxxupation posted:

The words out of Jason katims mouth, the ones transcribed by alan sepinwall noted explicitly say-as in he makes specific reference -that he received none,zero influence from NBC executives to change his show

That was literally the entire point, the new leadership after Reilly left had at best an apathetic relationship with the shows he developed

They just didn't loving care enough to try and change it, they'd rather it failed

I'm not arguing that Jason Katims didn't come up with the idea himself; he did. But he probably wouldn't have been inspired to do so if the numbers were there and there wasn't a regime change. As stated:

quote:

Peter Berg: We had Ben Silverman take over at NBC. It’s a classic problem. We were green-lit under one regime, and that regime got fired while we were already up and running.

[...]

Sarah Aubrey (Berg's partner): Friday Night Lights wasn’t [Ben Silverman's] show. It wasn’t his baby. It was Kevin Reilly’s baby. You don’t really care about someone else’s baby, especially if it’s ugly, in terms of numbers.

[...]

David Hudgins (EP, writer): We were coming to the end of Season 1, and the show was critically well-received, but the numbers. … So we thought, let’s do something big, something shocking and titillating and provocative.

Patrick Massett (co-EP, writer): I kind of felt there was some pressure from the network.

And not for nothing, but this is both a really stupid thing to get passionate about, and a really stupid thread to get passionate about it in.

• Locked thread