Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Another NES style 2d platformer from an indie developer too lazy to do anything other than pixel art :rolleye:.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgnD4WRzgjI

Offical Site
Developer Blog

Developed by Yaght Club Games for PC, Mac, Linux as well as 3DS and Wii U, Shovel Knight is a highly polished take on a retro style game that achieves modren standards of playability. That's not to say it isn't challenging, or that it holds your hand too much (actually it does a great job of teaching you through smart level design that gradually introduces concepts, instead of using tutorial screens). It's just that you get the stuff that's fun and satisfying about old games while also feeling like your time is being respected. Kickstarted in April 2013, the extra development time has taken a solid idea and turned it into something special.

The excessively silly concept is that you're a knight who fights with a shovel, with your most powerful attack being a downward thrust that lets you pogo to new heights. There's a lot of hidden treasure to find, which you use to upgrade your character with new powers and tools that range from simple fireballs to a fishing rod you can send down into the bottomless pits for even more treasure. Levels are lengthy and themed around a boss, and with well spaced checkpoints that you can break if you're daring. Dying leaves behind a portion of your gold that you can pick up again in your next run, Dark Souls style. There's an overworld map with short extra challenges and bosses that roam that map Super Mario Bros. 3 style.

There's a handful of cool features exclusive to Nintendo consoles that take advantage of those system's features. This includes Digger's Diary on Wii U which integrates Miiverse hints into the game, and the 3DS gets a smartly subdued 3D effect and Streetpass Arena.

Oh, and the soundtrack is super cool, and includes tunes by one of the composers of Mega Man.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Virt just posted links to both the Shovel Knight OST (including NSF file!) and a second arrange OST, both pay-what-you-want:

https://virt.bandcamp.com/album/sho...inal-soundtrack
https://virt.bandcamp.com/album/str...knight-arranged

devtesla fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jun 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

One of those games I kickstarted, but then had to rescind in the final days before it was collected because I ran out of rent money :( I'll see if I can grab a copy at some point, considering how much money I'm spending on the Steam sale

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Just for clarification, Yacht Club was founded by former members of WayForward, who have made some pretty cool old-school stuff before like Shantae.

Brumaldo
Jun 29, 2013

This game is absolutely loving amazing and you should all buy it.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I'm just here because the thread title is great. Also, yeah this game looks amazing.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Game is nice. It has small jokes without resorting to memes. Gameplay is fun. It doesn't reinvent the wheel but it sure knows how to use one.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jun 27, 2014

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Brumaldo posted:

This game is absolutely loving amazing and you should all buy it.

As someone who is really sick of retro indie platformers this totally is how a proper retro game should be done. It looks and plays great and it feels like it's own thing (i.e isn't just a self referential clone of a popular game). The humor and music is great, the level and enemy designs are super creative and also great.

All and all this is a super well made game that is totally worth $15.

[e] My only complaint is it sucks you only get money for beating the bosses. I wish you would get a relic or something.

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jun 27, 2014

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I'm thinking of getting this game, but I don't know which version. I have a Wii U, a 3DS, and a computer.

Right now leaning towards the Wii U because Miiverse stuff is always good and I don't get many Streetpasses.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

In the haunted museum is there anything to the hidden fake alphabet cipher thing or is that a just a Fez joke or whatever

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

After the first few maps, I was thinking this game was a touch too easy, but I'm more and more impressed with the difficulty as it goes on. Nice, smooth curve.

It's some beautiful combination of castlevania exploration and combat with megaman level design. I'm loving it.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

I love how the crouch makes his height literally one pixel shorter.

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

Brother Entropy posted:

I love how the crouch makes his height literally one pixel shorter.
It makes for very efficient dancing in response to the miriad of dances you receive.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
This game is loads of fun to play.

I haven't had a chance to test it yet but do the weapon/armor upgrades stack or can you only use one at a time?

Fulla Lizards!
Sep 12, 2004

m.hache posted:

This game is loads of fun to play.

I haven't had a chance to test it yet but do the weapon/armor upgrades stack or can you only use one at a time?

Weapons yes, armor no.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Fulla Lizards! posted:

Weapons yes, armor no.

Good enough for me! I can totally understand doing that for the armors. Glad I don't have to decide whether I can shoot shovel beams, dig faster or do a power attack.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Getting to use multiple armors wouldn't exactly make sense since some of them have trade-offs(the one that makes you take more damage but gives you alot more relic juice, the momentum-based one).

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

straight jerkers posted:

In the haunted museum is there anything to the hidden fake alphabet cipher thing or is that a just a Fez joke or whatever

All the paintings of kickstarter backers have their initials in that cipher.

edit: Also the only armors worth a drat are the silver and gold ones. (The latter only for shits and giggles.)

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
This looks quite interesting and I'd like to play it on my 3DS but sadly it's not on the EU eshop :(.
Does anyone know if/when it will be available in Europe?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Wow, you can really cheese the game with the phase amulet and the armor that doubles your magic. You become invincible as soon as you use it and you keep your air control so you can basically use it to jump through enemies.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Phase Amulet invincibility is really short though, so you do have to think to use it. Is it really that cheezy?

i am bones
May 18, 2010

We are the Crystal Gems!
How is the length/replayability of this game? It looks great, but $15 seems a bit steep for me to bite the bullet.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

i am bones posted:

How is the length/replayability of this game? It looks great, but $15 seems a bit steep for me to bite the bullet.

I've heard ranges of 3-4 hours all the way up to 8. Also the DLC is supposed to be Free as well.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I had a bug that made all graphics disappear during the credits but other than that and a few other bugs caused by turning v-sync off the game was great.

:shepface:

Also, the UI fonts occasionally not adhering to a grid is basically The Worst.

quakster fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jun 27, 2014

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Is there anything special to new game + in this?

Brumaldo
Jun 29, 2013

"Pottage and poultry, mutton and meat, your maximum health will increase if you eat!"

Oh my goodness. :allears:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
This game rules so hard. I wish I had more time to play.

Its such a great merger of fun ideas from Ducktales, Castlevania, Megaman, Mario3, and more. Loving it.

The levels themselves aren't too hard, just right. But there's some side challenges that are pretty wicked.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I love how the text in this game can't go two frames without some kind of special thing, from color to ~wavey letters~.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Dropping gold on death Dark Souls style is brutal and I love it. :darksouls:

If you break a checkpoint, does it stay broken forever, or only for that run?

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

straight jerkers posted:

Is there anything special to new game + in this?

Dark Souls style where everything is harder. Though I don't know yet if these means remixed levels or just the bosses are harder.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Favorite little touch: the knights have different text scrolling sounds

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Zaggitz posted:

Dark Souls style where everything is harder. Though I don't know yet if these means remixed levels or just the bosses are harder.

Everything does 1 full pip of damage instead of a half pip, dinner trays only give out bombs instead of actual food, and there are generally only one or two checkpoints (which you can still bust) per level. Those are the only differences I've seen so far unless I'm missing something subtle.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
This game is cool

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

pulp rag posted:

Everything does 1 full pip of damage instead of a half pip, dinner trays only give out bombs instead of actual food, and there are generally only one or two checkpoints (which you can still bust) per level. Those are the only differences I've seen so far unless I'm missing something subtle.

OH MY GOD WHEN YOU BREAK THEM YOU CAN'T USE THEM? I AM GOIGN TO KILL MYSELF.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Yaoi Mandel posted:

Read the OP. :haw:

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The trays on NG+ better drop chicken during fortress level 2, goddamnit. :colbert:

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

Zaphod42 posted:

Read the OP. :haw:

nah

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Yaoi Mandel posted:

The level I learned of breaking the checkpoints and accepting what it actually means sure was fun.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Does the Wii U version let you play with a Wiimote? Seems like it would be the closest thing to playing with an NES controller.

Fulla Lizards!
Sep 12, 2004

Is there any way to tell what stages have missing music sheets?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I love this loving game. The attention to detail is bloody amazing. Here is a link to an article on how much work went into replicating the NES style while breaking it a few times to make it a bit more modern.

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/DavidDAngelo/20140625/219383/Breaking_the_NES_for_Shovel_Knight.php

• Locked thread