Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
If you just mean the movement speed, yeah, that's just kind something you get used to in a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009

Last Celebration posted:

If you just mean the movement speed, yeah, that's just kind something you get used to in a bit.

Maybe that's it the last couple of platformers I played were BroForce and before that Super Meat Boy.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Yes, use the D-pad. Please use the D-pad.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The game doesn't have analog control so yes, use the d-pad.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Aw hell, only one real level down (Explodatorium) and I already missed a wisp bucket or whatever they're called. Guess I could use more practice, when I'm on a roll I'm really on a roll but when I mess up I'm frantically jumping off walls trying to find a safe spot to stand on.

Are the levels generally balanced for the fact that you can visit them in any order, or are there cases where I should definitely wait to do level X until I have ability Y?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

C-Euro posted:

Aw hell, only one real level down (Explodatorium) and I already missed a wisp bucket or whatever they're called. Guess I could use more practice, when I'm on a roll I'm really on a roll but when I mess up I'm frantically jumping off walls trying to find a safe spot to stand on.

Are the levels generally balanced for the fact that you can visit them in any order, or are there cases where I should definitely wait to do level X until I have ability Y?

The difficulty of a level is supposed to be designated by its reward value. You can do them all in any order but some are gonna be harder than others.

Also the Explodatorium was the only place where I missed the wisp chest. I played it twice but never found it. Genuinely have no clue where it is.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Zereth posted:

The game doesn't have analog control so yes, use the d-pad.

I played all 3 games with an analog stick. Works aces.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
The Explodatorium wisp chest is a tricky one. There are sections where if a flask falls in the water, it sends purple flames through the floor. You have to hit one of those flasks so it flies up into a ceiling, breaking it to reveal another area.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

The difficulty of a level is supposed to be designated by its reward value. You can do them all in any order but some are gonna be harder than others.

Also the Explodatorium was the only place where I missed the wisp chest. I played it twice but never found it. Genuinely have no clue where it is.

Fortunately you can buy any wisp upgrades you missed in the main hub (same room where you drop off the red skulls). Speaking of which, what do you get for collecting all the skulls and is it worth the effort?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

C-Euro posted:

I never used any of the abilities and didn't Gabe much trouble outside of Polar Knight himself but ymmv

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
The only level I try to do before any other is the Flying Machine because I love Judgement Rush.

Larryb posted:

Fortunately you can buy any wisp upgrades you missed in the main hub (same room where you drop off the red skulls). Speaking of which, what do you get for collecting all the skulls and is it worth the effort?

Note that you can't get the feat and achievement/trophy for collecting all wisps if you buy any of them!

Collecting all the skulls gets you a cool new old armor, specifically Donovan's sprite. He can dance so it's definitely worth it.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

So which curios come from which stage again? Trying to plot out a speed route.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

grancheater posted:

The only level I try to do before any other is the Flying Machine because I love Judgement Rush.

Note that you can't get the feat and achievement/trophy for collecting all wisps if you buy any of them!

Collecting all the skulls gets you a cool new old armor, specifically Donovan's sprite. He can dance so it's definitely worth it.

That's kinda cool actually, does any boss dialogue change if you're wearing it?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

PlasticAutomaton posted:

not sure if you are gonna like speedrun it or whatevs, but there are guides here if you want

http://www.speedrun.com/shovelknight/guides

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

may contain peanuts posted:

As always it's a bit of both, you know. A lot of 1 or 2 second optimizations were found and when you find enough of those they add up. The money route was also more optimized; people figured out it's actually best to break every single checkpoint in Flying Machine which lets you skip a lot of slower money (for example we don't get the 600 hidden in a wall in dream 1 anymore).

The latest and greatest thing, which we started discussing just last night, is "what if we skip Skeletal Sentry and get basketballs instead?" MooMoo posted a proof of concept that shows that the basketballs can be just as fast if not faster than the skeleton friend:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Frwt0Ak54rE

Hmm, how much would that change the route? I saw that Lich Yard was done first to unlock the sentry, and then Clockwork Tower was done next to get enough money for it and other stuff (Also because the sentry wouldn't help that much against Tinker Knight anyway.)

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Plains: Will Skull, Dread Talon, Throwing Sickle
Stranded Ship: Spider Scythe
Lost City: Chronos Coin
Explodatorium: Bounding Soul
Pridemoor Keep: Shadow Mirror
Clockwork Tower: Barrier Lantern
Iron Whale: Hover Plume
Flying Machine: Judgement Rush
Lich Yard: Skeletal Sentry

There are like 2 (or maybe 3) important ones to go for.

The Judgement Rush is grabbed first. There are so many platforming challenges that can be skipped with it. I don't believe it gets upgraded as it usually doesn't get interrupted and the smaller start up delay doesn't save that much time anyway.
The Skeletal Sentry is the other one grabbed on the current route. That one is actually upgraded since the upgraded form just shreds through most grounded bosses.

Stage Order is Flying Machine, Lich Yard, and Clockwork Tower. Flying Machine is where you want to break all the checkpoints so you can get enough money to buy the Rail Mail, which is what you want to be wearing for most of the run. Clockwork Tower is done to get enough money for the Skeletal Sentry and its upgraded version (Skeletal Sentry doesn't help much against Tinker.) After that, order doesn't matter too much. Though you want at least 3 Darkness before you enter Clockwork Tower.

Bounding Soul isn't grabbed on the current route, but speed runners think it might be worthwhile to pickup.

Rest can be ignored. Though if you're just going for the feat, you might want to pick up the Will Skull (and wisps) or something to give yourself more room for error. World Record is around 42 minutes, so you have tons of time to spare.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Does Darkness/Will differentiate from Shovel Knight's magic/life in any meaningful way other than name/colouring? IE, Plague Knight's power regenerated?

Kinda disappointed there's no world map and bonus stages, even though I knew they said Plague Knight's campaign was just exceptionally elaborate.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Apr 28, 2017

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Cuntellectual posted:

Does Darkness/Will differentiate from Shovel Knight's magic/life in any meaningful way other than name/colouring? IE, Plague Knight's power regenerated?

Darkness is distinct from magic mainly because it is refilled by hitting enemies as oppose to pickups. Though, there still are darkness refilling picks, but enemies don't randomly drop them.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

I dont know posted:

Darkness is distinct from magic mainly because it is refilled by hitting enemies as oppose to pickups. Though, there still are darkness refilling picks, but enemies don't randomly drop them.

Cool, thanks!

One other question; One of my friends thought that the Battletoads/Kratos fights were being ported to all the platforms in Treasure Trove. Was he right about that?

I'm the one person alive who owns the game on the vita and the Kratos fight was neat, but I'd like to see the Battletoads one too.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Cuntellectual posted:

Cool, thanks!

One other question; One of my friends thought that the Battletoads/Kratos fights were being ported to all the platforms in Treasure Trove. Was he right about that?

I'm the one person alive who owns the game on the vita and the Kratos fight was neat, but I'd like to see the Battletoads one too.

There hasn't been any word on that, and it seems doubtful as they're meant to be console exclusive bonuses.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Considering that both of those levels are based on properties exclusive to the console manufacturers they're on, I'd doubt they'd ever be ported elsewhere.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Dr. Fetus posted:

The Explodatorium wisp chest is a tricky one. There are sections where if a flask falls in the water, it sends purple flames through the floor. You have to hit one of those flasks so it flies up into a ceiling, breaking it to reveal another area.

Whoa drat

Also just beat Specter, good campaign. Who was the rooster that was flying one Propeller Knight's jetships in the credits?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

Whoa drat

Also just beat Specter, good campaign. Who was the rooster that was flying one Propeller Knight's jetships in the credits?

An NPC that shows up in the Armor Outpost in the other two campaigns.

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

WOW what a grate sports paly by the 49rs (better than seahawks)

Dr. Fetus posted:

Hmm, how much would that change the route? I saw that Lich Yard was done first to unlock the sentry, and then Clockwork Tower was done next to get enough money for it and other stuff (Also because the sentry wouldn't help that much against Tinker Knight anyway.).
Hard to say. It's still a work in progress. Probably what would happen is that Explodatorium and Lich Yard would just swap orders in the route. Clockwork Tower would probably still be third for the money and the two free autoscroller skulls. One of the advantages of Bounding Soul is that it doesn't cost as many skulls as Skeleton Sentry, so we can cut some skulls somewhere in the route.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

ChaosArgate posted:

Considering that both of those levels are based on properties exclusive to the console manufacturers they're on, I'd doubt they'd ever be ported elsewhere.

I'm a little bummed that Nintendo platforms don't have an exclusive Nintendo IP boss but I guess they did get the game way before everyone else so oh well :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

C-Euro posted:

I'm a little bummed that Nintendo platforms don't have an exclusive Nintendo IP boss but I guess they did get the game way before everyone else so oh well :v:

They also got the Amiibo stuff.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

So if I've got the digital eShop version of Shovel Knight for 3DS, how do I update it and get the Specter Knight campaign? My 3DS is connected to the internet but I'm not seeing an update prompt when I launch the game, or with the game menus. Am I just stupid? :saddowns:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

C-Euro posted:

Who would be the best pick if such a boss ever happened? Link? Samus? ...Wario?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Xenomrph posted:

So if I've got the digital eShop version of Shovel Knight for 3DS, how do I update it and get the Specter Knight campaign? My 3DS is connected to the internet but I'm not seeing an update prompt when I launch the game, or with the game menus. Am I just stupid? :saddowns:

Find Shovel Knight in the Eshop, make sure it's the download version because they have a patch for physical Shovel Knight that won't do anything if you download it.

Lurdiak posted:

Meta Knight

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

if king knight's campaign doesn't have you gathering thousands upon thousands of gold per level in an effort to amass as much wealth as possible then i'm going to be disappointed

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Electric Phantasm posted:

Find Shovel Knight in the Eshop, make sure it's the download version because they have a patch for physical Shovel Knight that won't do anything if you download it.

Meta Knight

No, Fort Knight so that we only had to wait two weeks for the update.

What a terrible, terrible joke.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Johnny Joestar posted:

if king knight's campaign doesn't have you gathering thousands upon thousands of gold per level in an effort to amass as much wealth as possible then i'm going to be disappointed

That describes Shovel, Plague and Specter Knight campaigns already to be fair.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

ImpAtom posted:

That describes Shovel, Plague and Specter Knight campaigns already to be fair.

i'm talking like wario levels of treasure being knocked out of crap. having a big room full of wealth in your hub area that shows just how much you have with piles of it sitting around

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Johnny Joestar posted:

That's really more Treasure Knight's thing.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

o fuk

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Lurdiak posted:

Link makes the most sense, Wario would be the most fun.

This would be dope too.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Ah man, Edgelord Reize's commentary on every stage is just the best.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

C-Euro posted:

Yeah same. Battletoads and Kratos are both super loving rad, not having an equivalent feels kinda lame :smith:

Lurdiak posted:

GOOD question. Wario would be an amusing choice, and a proper villain. Along those lines, Donkey Kong or Bowser could both be highly enjoyable.

Especially if they did like the Battletoads bit and had you do a level that was kinda like Donkey Kong on the 75m first level. :)

Link would be okay I guess but poo poo, for that matter, Give me Ganondorf :) bonus points if he transforms into Ganon after you first beat him, ala Tinker Knight.

:vince:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
YCG posted an update on the status of the remaining updates: the EU Sony versions will be updated on May 3, the XB1, EU Nintendo and Amazon Fire versions will be updated some time next month (the platform holders make the call so they can't give a date until then).

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
King knight's campaign is actually just Romance of the Three Kingdoms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Crap, been through Mole Knight's stage twice and I'm still missing a skull. Not sure how to describe which ones I've already picked up, any skulls that you all missed the first time through that stage?

• Locked thread