Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Just picked this up and played for a couple of hours, and it is indeed an extremely good game! Highly recommended.

It has some really good level and boss design, and you can see they put a lot of thought into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Well that wasn't too bad, 4:52, 91% (though I did go back and do the Hall of Champions post-final boss, so it's probably closer to 94%). Great little game, definitely worth the $15, and I say that as someone who did not participate in the Kickstarter. Now to decide if I'd rather gently caress around and search for those last five music sheets or go on to NG+...

Artix fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jun 30, 2014

Lt. Dans Legs
Jul 3, 2008
This is an excellent fuckin game, but i wish ng+ had more enemies/different enemy placements. Enemies just doing more damage and fewer checkpoints is kind of a boring way to do a ng+ mode, and after seeing all the love put into this game the first time through I expected more.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

I love last night's fix. :neckbeard:

God, what I'd give for a relic-swap button without having to go into the menu, though...

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Artix posted:

Well that wasn't too bad, 4:52, 91% (though I did go back and do the Hall of Champions post-final boss, so it's probably closer to 94%). Great little game, definitely worth the $15, and I say that as someone who did not participate in the Kickstarter. Now to decide if I'd rather gently caress around and search for those last five music sheets or go on to NG+...

Ah, crap. I went to NG+ before doing the Hall of Champions :( I knew I forgot something.

Lt. Dans Legs
Jul 3, 2008

Shaezerus posted:

I love last night's fix. :neckbeard:

God, what I'd give for a relic-swap button without having to go into the menu, though...

Shoulda bought it on 3ds, you can tap what relic you want on the lower screen without pausing. They did a pretty good job with the 3d too imo

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

Lt. Dans Legs posted:

Shoulda bought it on 3ds, you can tap what relic you want on the lower screen without pausing. They did a pretty good job with the 3d too imo

I've already committed to the 3DS version being the first purchase I make once I get a little extra money but good to know it's an option. Swapping relics as often as I do gets kind of cumbersome.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Gonna be honest I forgot about the inventory menu until like halfway through the game because I only used the phase locket

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Ferroque posted:

Gonna be honest I forgot about the inventory menu until like halfway through the game because I only used the phase locket
Then you're missing out on the amazing activity of fishing and getting all that sweet, sweet ichor and gold.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

No way guys, the bouncy green ball is totally where it's at and I'm not even being ironic it's so good.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Anchor trivializes several bosses and the Propeller Sword may as well be a "win the game" button.

Man, the Relics are so good. Except Amulet Coin.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Niggurath posted:

Then you're missing out on the amazing activity of fishing and getting all that sweet, sweet ichor and gold.

Yeah I was kicking myself when I realized my mistake. OH well!! Just shows that the phase locket is the best period.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

ImpAtom posted:

What does the amulet coin even do? It says you can get great rewards or somesuch but far as I an tell you just bounce it back and forth off of enemies.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

The coin rules against smaller enemies because it will plow through them and keep going.

EDIT: ^ If you kill an enemy with the coin they drop money. Usually not much, sometimes a good chunk.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tracula posted:

What does the amulet coin even do? It says you can get great rewards or somesuch but far as I an tell you just bounce it back and forth off of enemies.

If you kill an enemy with it they drop gold. I guess it'd be okay for farming gold maybe? Not very good general use for the most part except against stuff you could trivially kill anyway.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Bouncy green ball is insane and fully demolishes bosses.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

straight jerkers posted:

Bouncy green ball is insane and fully demolishes bosses.

It really isn't joking when it says "boundless combat potential". That thing's a beast.
(it's actually my most used sub-weapon :blush:)

(also this game is the best thing ever, buy it)

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jul 1, 2014

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

ImpAtom posted:

If you kill an enemy with it they drop gold. I guess it'd be okay for farming gold maybe? Not very good general use for the most part except against stuff you could trivially kill anyway.

The Amulet Coin's real use is that it does twice as much damage as your shovel and won't ever stop unless it hits a wall; the thing completely trivializes Specter Knight's stage in NG+. Likewise I've never really found much of a use for the Chaos Sphere for my playstyle, it's either far too unwieldy or just doesn't last long enough to maximize its damage.

Orfeo
Nov 27, 2007

Ectobiology sure does involve a lot of button pushing.

Shaezerus posted:

The Amulet Coin's real use is that it does twice as much damage as your shovel and won't ever stop unless it hits a wall; the thing completely trivializes Specter Knight's stage in NG+. Likewise I've never really found much of a use for the Chaos Sphere for my playstyle, it's either far too unwieldy or just doesn't last long enough to maximize its damage.

The Amulet Coin was also really nice in the last level for forcing blocks to spawn, so to help suss out when you gotta jump.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Niggurath posted:

Also...

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Okay so uh, I love this game to bits and think it's the best thing ever.. but the airship was a huge piece of poo poo. The level design for this game has been so good up until this point, how on earth did they think this level was a good idea? I died probably 20 or more times just between the second-to-last and last checkpoint. Instant death spikes is just the least fun gimmick ever, and has always been the low point of Mega Man so why design a whole level around it? Ugh.

Rest of the game still owns though, so you should probably buy it :colbert:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Your Computer posted:

Okay so uh, I love this game to bits and think it's the best thing ever.. but the airship was a huge piece of poo poo. The level design for this game has been so good up until this point, how on earth did they think this level was a good idea? I died probably 20 or more times just between the second-to-last and last checkpoint. Instant death spikes is just the least fun gimmick ever, and has always been the low point of Mega Man so why design a whole level around it? Ugh.

Your Phase Amulet allows you to pretty much nullify instant-death spikes and the item you get in that stage makes precision platforming a breeze.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Beat the game. Loved it, except the final boss which was probably the most frustrating and single-handedly the worst boss battle I've played in the last ten years. It nearly spoiled the rest of the game. A shame the game decided to end on that worthless garbage. Wouldn't be so bad if you actually gained the height needed on the jump to hit the enemy's weak spot more than half the time and all its attacks didn't do a shitload of damage.

These kind of lovely boss battle stopped being a thing for a reason, Yacht Games.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Jimbot posted:

Beat the game. Loved it, except the final boss which was probably the most frustrating and single-handedly the worst boss battle I've played in the last ten years. It nearly spoiled the rest of the game. A shame the game decided to end on that worthless garbage. Wouldn't be so bad if you actually gained the height needed on the jump to hit the enemy's weak spot more than half the time and all its attacks didn't do a shitload of damage.

These kind of lovely boss battle stopped being a thing for a reason, Yacht Games.

Um, what? The final boss was really really easy. It did barely no damage, all attacks aside from the "two rotating orb attack" were easy to dodge, and you could take out 2-3 pips of its HP each time Shield Knight gives you a boost.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Jimbot posted:

I had literally no trouble with the final boss, are you sure you weren't playing at double-speed or something weird?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Talk about authenticity: the soundtrack is also available in NSF format, and the composer is looking into making a recording of it on actual NES hardware.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jimbot posted:

Did you not double-bounce on the shield? You can do that and then pogo on is head for huge damage.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Jimbot posted:

If you (end boss/plot spoilers if that's your thing) pogo off of Shield Knight you get more than enough height to bounce off the thing's head until it jukes away. Then you do it again. Always Be Pogoing is like the first thing the game teaches you after "you can shovel".

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

Your Phase Amulet allows you to pretty much nullify instant-death spikes and the item you get in that stage makes precision platforming a breeze.

I picked up on that halfway, but that doesn't help when you're being pushed against the spikes with a gust :(

It helped that the song is amazing and reminded me a lot of "Wanna be Free!!" from the Ragnarok Online OST which I still love (nostalgia galore!)

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Your Computer posted:

I picked up on that halfway, but that doesn't help when you're being pushed against the spikes with a gust :(

It helped that the song is amazing and reminded me a lot of "Wanna be Free!!" from the Ragnarok Online OST which I still love (nostalgia galore!)

If you're talking about the part I think you're talking about, it's not that hard if you're careful with timing, since those fans have very short reach. The first one's reach doesn't even extend to the second platform there.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Yeah, pogoing on the shield and attacking was how I did it but the range came up short most of the time. If I didn't have the dynamo armor that battle would have taken longer. The trouble with the boss is that up to the point where it start smashing the platform with it's face, it's a pain. Once I does the platform smash you kill it instantly by pogoshoveling it's head in. It wasn't fun or interesting, just frustrating until you get to that point. It didn't ruin the experience but it was just a dumb boss. I didn't like it at all.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jimbot posted:

Yeah, pogoing on the shield and attacking was how I did it but the range came up short most of the time. If I didn't have the dynamo armor that battle would have taken longer. The trouble with the boss is that up to the point where it start smashing the platform with it's face, it's a pain. Once I does the platform smash you kill it instantly by pogoshoveling it's head in. It wasn't fun or interesting, just frustrating until you get to that point. It didn't ruin the experience but it was just a dumb boss. I didn't like it at all.

If it came up short you weren't double-pogoing.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

This game was a pro buy

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Your Computer posted:

That bit on the airship was really the only part of the entire game that wasn't too easy, so I loved it. The fact that you can respawn right at the start of the difficult part makes it much less painful than a Mega Man game.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

The syncing with steam achievements works well one way, now I just wish it would go in the opposite direction. Still have some earned in Steam that aren't cleared in the game.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Genocyber posted:

If you're talking about the part I think you're talking about, it's not that hard if you're careful with timing, since those fans have very short reach. The first one's reach doesn't even extend to the second platform there.

Considered a new title? :')

LET ME TELL YOU WHY I'M BETTER THAN YOU AT SHOVEL KNIGHT

That aside, I don't think you're thinking of the right part. It was the part right before the boss. The first room had a up/down gust and the second room had an up/right gust. Both "global" and no tied to fans. It's not like it took me a day to beat it though, I only lost all my gold v:shobon:v Love this game.

Adam Bowen posted:

The fact that you can respawn right at the start of the difficult part makes it much less painful than a Mega Man game.

Oh absolutely. That's the beautiful part of their "old gameplay new design philosophy" thing.

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jul 1, 2014

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

ImpAtom posted:

If it came up short you weren't double-pogoing.

It wasn't difficult at all once I realized I needed a second bounce to get all the way up there, but I don't really understand why they didn't just make it so the first pogo does that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Adam Bowen posted:

It wasn't difficult at all once I realized I needed a second bounce to get all the way up there, but I don't really understand why they didn't just make it so the first pogo does that.

It makes it genuinely easier to control it, I've noticed. Part of why the first 'jump' is so finicky is because it makes the control requirements tight. Double-pogo gives you that extra height to have some good control over it.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

the item you get in that stage makes precision platforming a breeze.

I couldn't figure out how to get it the first time around, so now I get to do the stage all over again :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Your Computer posted:

I couldn't figure out how to get it the first time around, so now I get to do the stage all over again :shepface:

No you don't. Go back to the Relic guy in the first town and talk to him.

• Locked thread