Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Your Computer posted:

That aside, I don't think you're thinking of the right part. It was the part right before the boss. The first room had a up/down gust and the second room had an up/right gust. Both "global" and no tied to fans. It's not like it took me a day to beat it though, I only lost all my gold v:shobon:v Love this game.

Oh yeah, that part is pretty nasty.

quote:

Oh absolutely. That's the beautiful part of their "old gameplay new design philosophy" thing.

If you're not breaking every checkpoint you're doing it wrong. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

No you don't. Go back to the Relic guy and talk to him.

You need to finish the stage to keep it.

I don't mind though, with this game's generous checkpoints it's on the top of my list of games I want to "git gud" at and hopefully one day speedrun. After dying so much in this the first time around, it's totally fun to breezeha! through it this time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Your Computer posted:

You need to finish the stage to keep it.

I don't mind though, with this game's generous checkpoints it's on the top of my list of games I want to "git gud" at and hopefully one day speedrun. After dying so much in this the first time around, it's totally fun to breezeha! through it this time.

No you don't. When you finish a stage without getting the Relic, the Relic guy in town will sell it to you.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

The parts I thought were too difficult at first turned out to be not that hard when I went back to look for stuff I missed. However I'm not enjoying new game plus. I don't mind the double damage but reducing the number of checkpoints seems odd since you can break them anyway and having to run through parts you've already done because you misjudged a miniboss attack pattern isn't fun for me.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

No you don't. When you finish a stage without getting the Relic, the Relic guy in town will sell it to you.

This changes everything :aaaaa:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Your Computer posted:

This changes everything :aaaaa:

It is pretty sweet! It's a nice way to avoid people feeling frustrated because they missed something.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

For the gusts in Propeller Knights stage you realize on the up down screen you can get through it without even jumping right? The platforms are placed so you can just kinda let the gust carry you straight to the end.

Second screen just use the Phase Locket, there's magic jugs everywhere for it.

Edit: Unrelated but after playing this game for so long I find myself typing "knight" instead of "night" often. What has this game done to me.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

ImpAtom posted:

It is pretty sweet! It's a nice way to avoid people feeling frustrated because they missed something.

On the other hand I go :smug: IRL whenever I get back to town and he's got nothing new

my life is otherwise void of accomplishment

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster
I'm gonna be streaming this for a while at http://www.twitch.tv/hobosiege if anyone is still on the fence!

e: Stream over, thanks for watching!

Hobo Siege fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jul 1, 2014

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Oh jeeze, I'm getting towards the end of the game and I only just realized that you can change between multiple relics. I thought you only had one slot, and they replaced each other... Wow that would make the game SO much easier. Almost too easy. Kinda glad I've done the whole thing with just the freakin' shovel.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

In case anyone hadn't noticed, there's a cute little throwback to Mega Man 2 with the Rolling Gear: remember how the Metal Blade is a one hit KO on the boss who gives it to you?

Note that I have not tried this during the second phase and I'd be a little bit surprised if it actually worked there :v:

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!
So... uh...
That part in Propeller Man's stage where you have to deal with the multi-directional gusts with the spikes and pits just dropped my gold from about 44K to.... under 5K Especially after getting past it and dying on the next screen with the jelly fish things and cannon balls.

I was really hoping I could get the 50K Feat after beating this stage.
But it looks like it'll take a while.

I think after I beat this stage, it's time for a good long break. This has soured me really badly.

Edit: OF loving COURSE HE HAS INSTANT DEATH PITS IN HIS ARENA. Why wouldn't he.
So I'm now under 3K gold.

SereneCrimson fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jul 1, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

You could just quit to the map and try again with the knowledge you have.

Clandestine
May 31, 2011

SereneCrimson posted:

So... uh...
That part in Propeller Man's stage where you have to deal with the multi-directional gusts with the spikes and pits just dropped my gold from about 44K to.... under 5K Especially after getting past it and dying on the next screen with the jelly fish things and cannon balls.

I was really hoping I could get the 50K Feat after beating this stage.
But it looks like it'll take a while.

I think after I beat this stage, it's time for a good long break. This has soured me really badly.

Edit: OF loving COURSE HE HAS INSTANT DEATH PITS IN HIS ARENA. Why wouldn't he.
So I'm now under 3K gold.

Yeah, I uh... Propeller Knight's stage is where I learned that those shiny breakables with the coins inside them, were actually checkpoints. Coincidentally, Propeller Knight is where I had the most trouble on a stage.

A good tip for Propeller Knight: Use the Throwing Anchor sub-weapon when he summons his airship, if you have it. It is really useful for dealing extra damage to him, and making that fight go by that much quicker, without drawing it out.

As an aside, this game is awesome, and deserving of all the money it gets. In a world of half-baked Kickstarters, this one is alright.

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

Genocyber posted:

You could just quit to the map and try again with the knowledge you have.

I quit a stage the other day and it didn't give me back the gold I had lost. So I just kept playing because I didn't want to have to replay the entire stage again for nothing.
If I had known prior to entering the stage how it would be, I would have worn the armor that causes you to drop less. But there is no way I could have known what the final part of that level would be like.

I loved the game up to that point. but this just really turned me off. I lost 40,000 Gold from that one stage which was a couple hours of playtime to get that much.
I don't have any songs to hand in right now, and I've completed every 'random encounter' and bonus stage. And now I have to grind up all that money unless the final stages just throw piles of money at you. I know it's just a little achievement that doesn't really mean anything but this is seriously bugging me.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

If you return to the world map it should undo everything that happened, including losses.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
If you play the game on new game plus, you don't need to rebuy anything so you'll reach 50k halfway through the game. Why you always gotta grind cheevos you'd inevitably get through normal gameplay, goons?

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

SereneCrimson posted:

I quit a stage the other day and it didn't give me back the gold I had lost. So I just kept playing because I didn't want to have to replay the entire stage again for nothing.
If I had known prior to entering the stage how it would be, I would have worn the armor that causes you to drop less. But there is no way I could have known what the final part of that level would be like.

I loved the game up to that point. but this just really turned me off. I lost 40,000 Gold from that one stage which was a couple hours of playtime to get that much.
I don't have any songs to hand in right now, and I've completed every 'random encounter' and bonus stage. And now I have to grind up all that money unless the final stages just throw piles of money at you. I know it's just a little achievement that doesn't really mean anything but this is seriously bugging me.

I have no idea how it would even be possible to lose that much gold. Nothing in this game is particularly difficult to the point that it takes more than a few tries, save maybe 1 or 2 segments in the very final levels, and you can retrieve gold you drop upon death 90% of the time; you can pick it up with the fishing pole if it's too far below any platforms. Also, you can cheese anything in the game that isn't a pit with the phase artifact.

including killing the last boss extremely quickly

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Jul 1, 2014

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

mancalamania posted:

Does the Wii U version let you play with a Wiimote? Seems like it would be the closest thing to playing with an NES controller.

http://gbatemp.net/review/nes30-successor-to-fc30-bluetooth-controller.152/

This thing can emulate wiimotes and has enough buttons to get the job done.

If the came supports classic controllers maybe you can also use a real retro controller.

http://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/nes_to_wiimote/index.php

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit
I love this game so much I bought it twice, a copy for both my Wii U and 3DS. Digger's Diary is just too rad of a feature to pass up but having to lug my Wii U to work (I have a lot of downtime) was a bit of a pain so hey :retrogames:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

BabyRyoga posted:

I have no idea how it would even be possible to lose that much gold. Nothing in this game is particularly difficult to the point that it takes more than a few tries,

People have different skill levels. :ssh:

I, for example, am godawful.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I died. I died 85 times.

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Yeah I died like a gazlillion times in Propeller Knights stage. Mostly at the same spot. Freaking fan enemies.

This doesn't make the game any less fantastic though!

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Fintilgin posted:

People have different skill levels. :ssh:

I, for example, am godawful.

It's less about the amount of times you fail, though, because the gold is generally easy to retrieve as long as you use the right relics to help you.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Yo I just beat King Knight and this game is rad as gently caress.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
So am I right that breaking checkpoints is permanent? I've noticed that you can't break checkpoints if you go back and re-play a level.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I... just realized why the ghost in the Hall of Champions drop the pink crystals. I feel slow.

It's because it was 200 bucks to get your face in the game

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

BabyRyoga posted:

I have no idea how it would even be possible to lose that much gold. Nothing in this game is particularly difficult to the point that it takes more than a few tries, save maybe 1 or 2 segments in the very final levels, and you can retrieve gold you drop upon death 90% of the time; you can pick it up with the fishing pole if it's too far below any platforms. Also, you can cheese anything in the game that isn't a pit with the phase artifact.

including killing the last boss extremely quickly

Well, if you die when you have gold lost in a stage, that gold disappears and your new drop happens. So sometimes I couldn't retrieve my gold before I died again. And sometimes the gold would actually float UNDER a platform I had no way of getting.

I had around 20 deaths total before taking on that stage and I just died over and over again. So I'm not bad at the game. I beat most bosses without really taking much damage.
Maybe I'm just slow to adapt, but when the air gusts were switching around it was catching me off guard. And with all the insta-death spikes and pits it took a couple times before I was actually comfortable with the stage enough to get through the obstacles.

I'm not terrible at the game, but Propeller Knight's stage is not very well designed, at least not by my standpont (and some friends that have played the game as well). Having a stage where a long screen is lined with a bottomless pit means that sometimes I would just die because I didn't react quick enough when the screen scrolled and I saw the platform I needed to be at.

The entire game prior felt so tight and well designed. But now I'm in the Tower of Fate using those blue rainbow-bridge making things. and that section is TERRIBLE! The screen scrolled a little and then BAM a green fan guy blew me off the itty-bitty ledge.
Filling levels with instant-death hazards is cheap. Propeller Knight's stage is awful and this stage is pretty crappy too.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

SereneCrimson posted:

The screen scrolled a little and then BAM a green fan guy blew me off the itty-bitty ledge.

That guy scared the crap out of me! I freaked out and attacked and somehow killed him, but my shovel knight life flashed before my eyes.
It was probably the scariest moment in the game for me. This game owns.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The Propeller Knight's stage is less bad and more just weird feeling because it doesn't fit in with the rest of the game, particularly the air reversing parts. It feels more like a Super Meat Boy or VVVVVV, something where there's just one way through the level and you have to develop the exact timing to get through it. There's tricky jumps in the rest of the game, and knowing the levels helps a lot, but it's not all there is to it.

Personally I think they made the right call with making just one stage like this, because it's memorable and only stops players for a short period of time. And the part everyone's complaining about isn't that hard to execute once you get the hang of it. That's also the part that's most memorable, because it breaks the rules of the game. I would hate to see a future propeller knight game that was all stages like this, but it's a good bit of variety.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Strangely the fan guy in that part isn't what gave me trouble but the goop samurai archer as I always feel like I HAVE to take a hit from him due to his awful placement.

It doesn't help NG+ for that stage has no checkpoints outside the single boss room one so if you screw anything up you get sent to the start of the level.

NG+ in general for me was kind of a mess, most stages I got through with 1-2 deaths (a few 3-6's to I have to admit) but that one single stage was 31 (I had to do the boss with no ichor's and thanks to NG+'s gimmick that wasn't fun at all)

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The Devil Tesla posted:

The Propeller Knight's stage is less bad and more just weird feeling because it doesn't fit in with the rest of the game, particularly the air reversing parts. It feels more like a Super Meat Boy or VVVVVV, something where there's just one way through the level and you have to develop the exact timing to get through it. There's tricky jumps in the rest of the game, and knowing the levels helps a lot, but it's not all there is to it.

I definitely agree with this. I personally don't like instant-death spikes as a design decision, but with checkpoints and all it's definitely a type of gameplay. As you say, I felt like it didn't fit with the rest of the game as much. While the game often throws some crazy challenges at you, it always explains the gimmicks ahead of time and it always feels like your own fault if you die. The Airship on the other hand is all about just knowing the exact route through it. No reaction, no thinking ahead of time, just pure memorization. I absolutely don't mind those kinds of games, but it felt out of place.

e: this talk about instant death spikes makes me wish for a Simply Simon LP of this game :getin:
Fingers crossed!

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jul 1, 2014

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

Well I just beat the final boss and the credits are rolling.

I got the final boss in one go,but the fact that the main threat for both phases were instant-death pits irks me. I'm still pretty sour on that.
It really wasn't a tough battle to win based on damage taken/time it takes to kill her though.

Overall, I really liked the game aside from Propeller Knight's stage. And some parts in the Tower levels.
It controls extremely well and the powers are fun and the bosses are excellent (even Polar Knight with his spike floors...)

Maybe I'm just bitter. Some of my favourite franchises (Castlevania, Mega Man, Mario) have some instant death stuff. But in Shovel Knight it felt way more out of place from the rest of the game. I didn't feel like I had adequate time to adjust to it in SK.

Overall, not really regretting the $15. I just wish there weren't those few little areas that bugged me so much.

Edit: 117 lives lost. Over half of those deaths were from Propeller Knights Stage + the Tower of Fate stages (Except for the final boss)

SereneCrimson fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jul 1, 2014

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Guys...

I just discovered the true face beneath the helmet.

:confused:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SereneCrimson posted:

Well I just beat the final boss and the credits are rolling.

I got the final boss in one go,but the fact that the main threat for both phases were instant-death pits irks me. I'm still pretty sour on that.
It really wasn't a tough battle to win based on damage taken/time it takes to kill her though.

Overall, I really liked the game aside from Propeller Knight's stage. And some parts in the Tower levels.
It controls extremely well and the powers are fun and the bosses are excellent (even Polar Knight with his spike floors...)

Maybe I'm just bitter. Some of my favourite franchises (Castlevania, Mega Man, Mario) have some instant death stuff. But in Shovel Knight it felt way more out of place from the rest of the game. I didn't feel like I had adequate time to adjust to it in SK.

Overall, not really regretting the $15. I just wish there weren't those few little areas that bugged me so much.

Edit: 117 lives lost. Over half of those deaths were from Propeller Knights Stage + the Tower of Fate stages (Except for the final boss)

I'm not sure what you mean in that there are instant death pits in every level. One of the very very first tutorial things teaches you how to bubble-jump over an instant death pit. There's a scrolling section with precision platforming over instant death pits in Treasure Knight's stage. There is literally an entire gimmick level based around the instant-death spikes and using Phase Amulet properly to get over them. If you didn't have time to adjust to those sorts of things by Prop Knight's stage, I'm not sure how much more they could have given you.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jul 1, 2014

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

The Troupple King does a lot for Shovel Knight. Perhaps there's a reason he gives us so much ichor.

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I'm not sure what you mean in that there are instant death pits in every level. One of the very very first tutorial things teaches you how to bubble-jump over an instant death pit. There's a scrolling section with precision platforming over instant death pits in Treasure Knight's stage. There is literally an entire gimmick level based around the instant-death spikes and using Phase Amulet properly to get over them. If you didn't have time to adjust to those sorts of things by Prop Knight's stage, I'm not sure how much more they could have given you.

The very first level teaches you to bubble jump over a regular floor, and THEN gives you a pit to use that information on.

Good level design should prepare you for whats coming up by giving you a taste, and then throwing you in to a bigger challenge.

Yes, there are pits on every level, but they're not the focal point of the level design. I feel that Shovel Knight is way more about the combat than the platforming for the most part. And the levels are mainly designed so you have to deal with fighting the enemies on the terrain you're given (With pits being a hazard to take into account but not the prime threat)

Propeller Knight's stage (as so eloquently put by The Devil Tesla/Your Computer) feels wrong amongst the rest of the game. It's very much not about combat, it's about knowing exactly what route you have to take, where to stand when the air current changes or knowing when the green enemies will try and blow you off the stage. with very little room for error. if you moved just a little too soon the air current will push you into a pit. It can be really unfair when you're doing your first playthrough and have absolutely no clue what to do, but the game expects you to know.

Is it necessarily a bad way to do gameplay? No, games can do it pretty well, but Shovel Knight as a whole was not about that style. So it feels so off.

And I'm still pretty against final bosses with pits in their stages. Give me crazy patterns to learn and hard hitting attacks. Let me learn the fight, but don't punish me for taking a hit by putting me in a pit that kills me and puts me back at the start.

Edit: And those bonus stages are actually laid out so you do know where to go. The spikes with the phase amulet level gives you a gem trail so you know where to run, and gives you moments to re-use the amulet.
The Knuckle level gives you lines of dirt blocks to guide you through. And the Knife also has clearly laid out rooms to guide you to the exit.
Those bonus levels never felt cheap. It was clear what they were about and let you mix your skill with the knowledge you have to get through it.

2nd Edit: drat. I've wrote a lot of words about this game today. I really don't mean it to sound like I'm against the game, or that style of video games. I just felt it was out of place in THIS game. And I'm not alone in this thought. I don't really wanna drag this out too much longer. I've pretty much said everything I feel needs said about this section of game.

SereneCrimson fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jul 1, 2014

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Final boss was a chump and the pits are a total nonissue. I was never in any danger of falling into them when I played because I just avoided those areas and waited for a better chance to strike.

Floor lowers slow enough that even if you gently caress up and the floor your on sinks you can still jump out, I honestly thought the final boss was too easy so just my personal thoughts on it

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I'll just leave this here

https://soundcloud.com/majinboo0111/jam-the-earth-dunk-of-passage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
After years of playing good ol' Mega Man, having the phase amulet in this game makes the spikes feel almost trivial.

Also, when you meet the kid playing roll-the-hoop in town, you can smack the hoop to play along. Or you can charge-attack it... It's a small detail, but it cracked me up.

• Locked thread