Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Fag Boy Jim posted:

What's funny is that since the slower courts across the board have made tennis more athletic, and arguably less skill-based, you'd think it'd help the younger generation, since they had an advantage over the older players in athletic matches going back, oh, the entire history of tennis. Of course, this isn't happening, and the same generation of players are dominating despite getting older and older.

Tennis, and deluded tennis fans have simply decided that the reason of this is that the current generation are the greatest tennis players in the history of the sport, to the point where Nadal fans are trashing the generation of Agassi/Sampras/Courier/Becker/Goran/Chang as a goddamn "weak era". It is complete bullshit.

The press has been complicit in pretending as if it isn't a totally different game. so they can better sell contemporary stars as the best ever, all at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Isn't the argument that 'bodies respond to drugs differently' as an argument against peds somewhat disingenuous? Bodies also respond to weight lifting and running differently. The people whose bodies respond best get an unfair genetic advantage over the rest of us.

So truly what's needed is gene doping to level the playing field.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Jose posted:

How do the match lengths currently compare with those back when Agassi/Sampras were playing? Seems like there are tons of really long tennis matches now

I can't answer that, but I really like this article as a primer for how different tennis is now than it was in that era.

http://grantland.com/features/court-surfaces-golden-age-men-tennis/

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I think the ability to draw out the play is much more dependent on court speed than you seem to be saying. Even a super doped Nadal probably wouldn't be able to beat, say, Boris Becker on a 90's fast hardcourt, for instance- as much as Nadal could run around all day, it wouldn't help if the court speed was fast enough that you could just volley past him.

It's really hard to state how different the game is now than it used to be. Clay/Grass/Hard court were like baseball/croquet/cricket. I can't think of a good comparison. Maybe in racing, banked dirt short tracks, huge flat paved ovals, and street courses.

Vando posted:

But surely the ability to rely on stamina also encourages a more drawn out style of play, so the creation of players with ultra-stamina itself contributes to the issue? It's kind of like a feedback loop almost: something tips the scale towards a quality that can be leveraged by dopers, the dopers then become successful and promote the playstyle based on this quality still further, sort of thing.

If I get what you're saying you mean the high stamina guys encouraged the homogenization of tennis, which encouraged more high stamina guys, which encouraged doping? That makes sense, I think we're all on the same page.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I'm not especially for doping or anything, I do believe it has a place as a mechanism for injury recovery. I don't really think contemporary athletes *need* to have their performance enhanced. It's all a very slippery slope somewhere.

There are scores of people on the internet reading papers and tweaking their steroid regimens. I think this makes it a lot safer than it was in the past, if someone wants information they can get it relatively easily. But there will always be dumb kids who inject themselves with massive doses and ruin things for everyone.

The gray areas are huge. And cycling is a good example of how a better doping + bribes program can break a sport.

Everblight posted:

Because LeBron could dope too and be even better (also both your and LeBron's hearts would explode when you turned 45.)

Lyle Alzado wasn't doping in any sort of intelligent way. He was using tons of stuff in ridiculous unsafe doses.

East Germany basically invented a failsafe steroid program and then exceeded it in search of results. Under medical supervision, most people can use steroids and suffer no ill affects.

I'm all for gene doping and letting people become freaks in search of sport perfection.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
There was a big ESPN the magazine poll of NFL players, and one of the questions was "How many players are doping" and the answer was like 25-30%. Even assuming large understatement, that means that less than half of players are doing what they consider to be illegal doping. I think it's fair to stretch that for most American team sports.

Endurance sports like cycling are totally different, but there are plenty of riders who don't use anything.

Even in the glory days of amphetamines in baseball, use wasn't 100%.

Where is it 100%? World's Strongest Man, Mr Olympia, sports that are only about muscles.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jul 3, 2014

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Bolivar posted:

Excellent OP, thanks for that and hope to read more from you as the thread goes on.

By Ronaldo, did you mean Christiano Ronaldo or the Brasilian Ronaldo? Didn't realize either of them has raised eyebrows in that regard...

That cycling illustration from 2001-2010 was brilliant as well. I absolutely loved watching the Tour de France mountain stages in the 90īs and early 2000s, everyone was so loving pumped up from maximum EPO and other PEDs that it felt like watching Roman gladiators. Unfortunately Lance and US postal went overboard with it due to their endless resources that it became boring eventually. Floyd Landis stage 17/2006 never forget! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCRhzrSRA0)

What would you say is the biggest showcase in terms of advantage gained from PEDs in history?
Flo-Jo? Armstrong? Pantani? One of those East German track&field world records from the 80s? Some obscure Chinese world record?

The East German women's track and field records are really loving crazy, because they basically gave them chemical sex changes with testosterone.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

lmaoboy1998 posted:

O.K., so I'm sure you'll support banning the majority of these substances from use in competitive sports then; we're almost there

if we can somehow prove that they are definitely and permanently harmless, then I still think they shouldn't be used, but for the other reasons which are being discussed in this thread. I will admit that these are more subjective.

well hold on cowboy. Caffeine has only a very small negative effect on your health but that's because (at least in the doses we take it) its a fairly weak drug. Any performance enhancing drug that has the desired large scale effects on health is far more likely to have large scale effects on other aspects of one's health than something as piss-weak as your morning coffee. However, I'm not a doctor and I'm not going to pretend I am. There may be drugs that are entirely positive and have no side effects; that seems too good to be true but I'm not saying there definitely aren't. But given that (as far as I can tell) you are no more a doctor or scientist than I am, for you to say 'well there definitely are' is just not something you're qualified to do.

Steroids, hgh, et all are used therapeutically without serious side effects. It's why they exist to be used for doping? With the right medically supervised regimen, with steroids specifically, your health is not threatened in any serious way.

Steroids cause heart attacks is something from using steroids in stupid and totally illogical ways. Any drug will kill you if you take it irresponsibly.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Steroids are actually one of the most problematic drugs we use in medicine.

And yet millions of people take them without experiencing serious side effects. I'm not saying that steroids are the only drugs without problems, I'm saying that they're not the mysterious deadly class of bad boy drugs that anti ped people want them to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

serious gaylord posted:

You're talking to a Doctor who prescribes these things on a daily basis.

Thank you, I didn't catch that implication from the statement "drugs we use in medicine." If you're telling me as a way of shutting down the discussion, you'll need to try something else.

• Locked thread