Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
It's quite interesting that when it comes to Corticosteroids it's one of those things that is very open, I remember on plenty occasions commentators talking about how this player or that player was going to get an injection to allow them to play a particular game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

spamman posted:

I used to play poker with one of the head chefs that worked at the Australian Open (this would have been around '10-11) and apparently managed a lot of the food for the players. He was telling me stories about how he'd get these incredibly specific lists of food that had come from guys like Federer and Nadal's nutritionists that would be along the lines of 200g of x kind of pasta, 250g of this kind of lettuce and what have you. Apparently Murray would just come in and order three cheeseburgers and a pile of chips.

Now that's all anecdotal second hand stuff, but I thought it was funny.

I think Murray probably takes his nutrition a little more seriously now!

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

This is a cool, good and interesting article - the sort of summary that I have been looking for.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

tbp posted:

I know a bunch of kids who had relatively short experiences taking steroids - like a year or two in college - would they have long term effects, or most likely be okay?

why did they decide to stop transitioning?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Therapeutic use of these drugs is to typically make up for some sort of deficiency right?

The problem with using them in super-fit athletes is that they don't need them therapeutically, there is nothing wrong with them to begin with, they're looking to get a competitive edge.

efb

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Residency Evil posted:

Seeing that doping regimen as a cancer doctor who prescribes some of these medications regularly is simultaneously depressing and impressive.

I would be interested to know how some of these drugs are used in treating cancer and what the side effects in these situations are.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Residency Evil posted:

The main one for actually treating cancer is anastrozole, an aromatase inhibitor that we use in post-menopausal women with breast cancer to decrease the risk of cancer recurrence (Estrogen is kind of like a fuel for many breast cancers). Side effects we most commonly see are joint pain, hot flashes, and they've also been associated with a decrease in bone density. I haven't used anastrozole in men as it's not really used often in adult male oncology.

To me at least, the most surprising thing seeing all of the endocrine drugs beyond steroids.

thanks!

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I basically agree, with the caveat that Sky/Froome's results over the last few years have hardly kept cycling's reputation good on that front either.

wait is there speculation that they were doping?

I figured that after the whole Armstrong affair that of anyone Wiggins, Froome and the Sky lot would be clean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Also:
Anti-doping testing: abnormal results rise by 20% in 2013

The number of abnormal test findings recorded by anti-doping authorities worldwide increased by more than 20% last year, according to a report by the World Anti-Doping Agency.

There were 5,962 adverse or atypical test results across all sports, compared with 4,723 in 2012.

The number of tests carried out rose by only 0.8% in the same period.

code:
Anti-doping testing by country
Country    Tests conducted by national anti-doping body in 2013
Russia      14,582
China       13,364
USA          7,144
UK           4,848
Jamaica        294
Ukraine          9
Football was responsible for more than 28,000 tests, more than any other sport. Of those, 140 adverse samples were recorded, a ratio of 0.5%.

Cyclists were also subject to frequent testing, with more than 22,000 samples analysed in 2013 - 1.2% of those tests resulted in adverse findings.

However, there were also widespread adverse findings in sports without the stigma of cycling. Rugby recorded a rate of 1.3% adverse results from just over 6,000 tests.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/28194582

So Rugby has the same level of detected doping as Cycling and football seems reasonably low.

• Locked thread