Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

One of my favourite excuses for blatant doping is that Usain Bolt is clean because he's tall and thats why hes able to not only beat drug failed sprinters but smash them. As if being tall offers such a bio-mechanical advantage to sprinting that it only applies to bolt!

But also lol at the suggestion that Bolt every is drugs tested in the first place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

Karmalaa70 posted:

There's no way it ever happens. As much as Nadal has been celebrated, they'll never have the stones to out a guy who is very likely chemically enhanced. Djokovic probably is too, and I am almost certain he was doing something in 2011 when he was unbeatable and had one of the best seasons ever. He hasn't been near that good since, so maybe he dialed it back.

I'm less sure about Murray and I'd be surprised if Federer was doing anything fishy, but I suppose anything is possible these days.

Every single one of them is, if you're in the top 20 in the world, you're on PEDs

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

Sour Grapes posted:

I don't know how "Think of the harm to the athletes!" is even considered a legitimate anti-doping argument, anyone playing competitive sport at a high level is already putting their health and body at a huge risk.

Not everyone reacts to steroids in the same way and the side effects vary from person to person. When an athlete gets less out of a steroid than his counterparts hes going to take more and more or different substances in order to try and achieve the same results causing the increased chance of further health risks. Also a lot of the increased injuries and stuff that occurs from playing sport is as a result of steroid misuse, such as Ronaldo having numerous knee injuries thought largely to be as the direct result of PED abuse

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

Jordan7hm posted:

It seems to me like it would be a lot safer to allow doping but have actual doctors monitoring what athletes are doing to their bodies

Doctors are already monitoring steroid use in athletes, as they're the ones giving them the drugs in many cases

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

Tacier posted:

I can't actually tell if you're being serious, but that's a pretty extraordinary claim to make without a shred of evidence. For sure doping happens in tennis and every sport, but making sweeping statements like this casts unfair aspersions on a lot of clean athletes.

clean athletes arent beating doped ones, either they're all clean or the top ones are all dirty

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

Jordan7hm posted:

Even if the top 10 were all doping, to say a clean player can't beat a doped player is to massively overstate the power of PEDs.

In the long run, the doped players will always come out on top, like has already be mentioned, Nadal is a chief example

Bolivar posted:

By Ronaldo, did you mean Christiano Ronaldo or the Brasilian Ronaldo? Didn't realize either of them has raised eyebrows in that regard...

Brazilian Ronaldo, although I'd say with the black cloud over all over Spanish football and how Cristiano has got better and better since going to a Spanish club then its highly likely hes on something. Not that English clubs arent doping either though

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

how many players featured in the simpsons softball episode have been busted for PEDs??

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

ElwoodCuse posted:

Professional athletes will try absolutely anything to gain an edge. Why do they all wear placebo garbage like those hologram bracelets or titanium necklaces? With the money at stake, anything is worth a shot.

lol

PEDs have been rigorously researched and shown to work for decade after decade in practically every sport going, they are just some voodoo magic or lucky charm

TelekineticBear! fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jul 3, 2014

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

I wonder what the standard kinda cycles are for athletes, EPO and blood doping is a big thing in stamina sports, but what about sprinting, track cycling, olympic weightlifting etc. Anavar? Test? Clen?

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

vaginal culture posted:

There is an epidemic of recently retired Italian soccer players getting Lou Gherig's disease

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2008/oct/08/europeanfootball.serieafootball

Italian soccer was filthy in the 90's. Hell, probably still is.

considering the amount of matches they were fixing, doping was the lesser of the two crimes and I cant imagine they've made any effort to stop it

http://www.4dfoot.com/2013/02/09/doping-in-football-fifty-years-of-evidence/ heres a pretty good list of notable doping cases in football

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

tbp posted:

I know a bunch of kids who had relatively short experiences taking steroids - like a year or two in college - would they have long term effects, or most likely be okay?

Im guessing its all dependent on the dosages and the drugs, college kids just taking test or dbol or something for a year or two will most likely be perfectly fine so long as they had no major side effects at the time

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

serious gaylord posted:

They were massive in the body building scene, but how prevalent were they in sports culture? I was always of the opinion that they didnt really infect the pro sports world outside of the endurance and strength disciplines until the 80's.

The football link posted earlier suggests that they were being used in the 60's and 70's, particularly for the two most successful clubs of those periods, Ajax and Bayern Munich

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

in 99/100 cases, every single athlete who you have ever admired is a drugs cheat; bolt, federer, nadal, armstrong, messi, james, phelps etc, all of them are cheats

I know its not exactly relevant but you never get to be the best in your sport without a gently caress load of drugs

• Locked thread