Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
That's a shame. It'd be cool to get some equivalent of a final series, like a graphic novel or something. I'd like to see Wilson Wilson as the Network's HBIC and whatnot, but really even just some post-Janus vignettes showing the effect of the pandemic on society would be cool.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I wish the HBO version could just cast Wilson's actor so he could get his whole season of being Darth Vader.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Chris! posted:

This just got posted to the official Channel 4 Utopia Facebook page:

It's a shame, as I think it had one more series in it, but I still consider it one of the best British shows in a long time.

I'm putting this next to In The Flesh. Sure, they may have cocked it a bit in the second series, but the first series was something special and incredible and ballsy.

And the soundtrack is how I get pumped up when I'm having a lovely day at work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdS_VdblFtk

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Ugh. Welp, now to wait and see if the HBO version will get us a third season some day.

Ahahahahahaaaaaa.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
Both seasons were actually quite good at not leaving things hanging. They both had a Big Twist At The End to hook into a follow-up, but I'm satisfied with the Utopia we got, and I think I would have been even if it hadn't got a second season.

What I will be super bummed about is if we never see a release of the season 2 soundtrack, cause that's rad as heck.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Sad to see the show get cancelled. Really enjoyed both seasons.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

The worst news. I hope UK chokes to death on dr.who and Sherlock now.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I'm putting this next to In The Flesh. Sure, they may have cocked it a bit in the second series, but the first series was something special and incredible and ballsy.

And the soundtrack is how I get pumped up when I'm having a lovely day at work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdS_VdblFtk

I found the second season of In The Flesh so aggravating with how they just ignored all the character development and progress made in the first season. It was like everyone got amnesia about what happened so they could repeat the same plots with how the family and town treated the main character.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

savinhill posted:

I found the second season of In The Flesh so aggravating with how they just ignored all the character development and progress made in the first season. It was like everyone got amnesia about what happened so they could repeat the same plots with how the family and town treated the main character.

Plus it doubled down on its own mythology which turned out to be the most boring poo poo imaginable.

Utopia basically just remade its own first set up with some roles switched around, and then ended promising more of the same. Roll on Fincher.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Channel 4 really does loving suck.
Just heard about the cancellation, they could never see a good thing when they had it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Its a real shame one of the best filmed and scored tv shows got cancelled. Pity I never got the chance to see it on normal TV due to not knowing about it then being out the country

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

happyhippy posted:

Channel 4 really does loving suck.
Just heard about the cancellation, they could never see a good thing when they had it.

To be completely fair, barely anyone was watching it and it seems like it was really expensive to make. Let's hope they shop it around and get it picked up by someone else (provided C4 doesn't own it outright) or the HBO remake is good. :smith:

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

SALT CURES HAM posted:

To be completely fair, barely anyone was watching it and it seems like it was really expensive to make. Let's hope they shop it around and get it picked up by someone else (provided C4 doesn't own it outright) or the HBO remake is good. :smith:

I like Fincher but it's stacked against him this is like Speilburg trying to follow up Kubrick. Both are talented directors but one is an artist.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Just watched Season 1 today. It was shot beautifully, I'll say that much. I didn't quite enjoy it as other shows and the genre and I wasn't thrilled by how some of the characters ended up aligning... their motivations, etc. But my primary observation is that the whole thing is its own supercut for a person holding a gun to the head of another person. I'd give it a B -

George Sex - REAL fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Oct 12, 2014

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Junkie Disease posted:

I like Fincher but it's stacked against him this is like Speilburg trying to follow up Kubrick. Both are talented directors but one is an artist.

This is nonsense. You basically named three artist, three of the best directors ever, and then tried to single one out, all while comparing them to a British TV director.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
A series directed by four different people, no less.

freudorbison
Sep 5, 2011
Have there been any news on the US remake since the announcement was made?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

freudorbison posted:

Have there been any news on the US remake since the announcement was made?

It's all going to be written by Gillian Flynn and directed by David Fincher. Every episode. Fincher starts directing it next year.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:

McDragon posted:

It sounds really strange to say this, but Utopia makes people being shot in the head look kind of pretty.
:haw:

Vanderdeath posted:

I'm all for a third series just for the rise and fall of Wilson "The Hardest Motherfucker Alive" Wilson.
I loved his name, and was even more joyful when his father was Milton. Anyone know if this was a subtle reference to Wilson Wilson from Home Improvement? Father was Nilson Wilson, if I remember correctly.

Anyhoo; I love trying to pick out symbology every time I watch this.. marathoned it in two days earlier this week.. I would have been very let down if Peitre hadn't woken up. Also zoomed through it again a second time and picked out all the overt colour placement and symbols repeated; like the question-marks, during the second season, had a blast trying to single out the religious references alongside the Illuminati/et al poo poo. It's a blast, just a blast. Almost as fun as the dark comedy carefully sprinkled about.
I know it's been beaten to death but the saturation of colour in this is orgasmically gorgeous. Makes it seem like a series of varied solid neon shirts would do well with a large white font of UTOPIA, center chest. But I'm a screenprinting nerd, I often have those thoughts. With regards to the future of the IP, so excited about Fincher coming in on this to give it new life, and doubly so that it's not going to be in five years. The only thing that could make me happier is the possibility of being informed that Reznor is not doing the music. It would just come out so flat and predictable if that were to be the case.

Is that spinoff comic still available? If not, I'll try to keep an eye out.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Reznor does amazing music for Fincher though? That said, I don't think he did the music for House of Cards so it's not a guarantee.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Paradox Personified posted:

:haw:

I loved his name, and was even more joyful when his father was Milton. Anyone know if this was a subtle reference to Wilson Wilson from Home Improvement? Father was Nilson Wilson, if I remember correctly.

Anyhoo; I love trying to pick out symbology every time I watch this.. marathoned it in two days earlier this week.. I would have been very let down if Peitre hadn't woken up. Also zoomed through it again a second time and picked out all the overt colour placement and symbols repeated; like the question-marks, during the second season, had a blast trying to single out the religious references alongside the Illuminati/et al poo poo. It's a blast, just a blast. Almost as fun as the dark comedy carefully sprinkled about.
I know it's been beaten to death but the saturation of colour in this is orgasmically gorgeous. Makes it seem like a series of varied solid neon shirts would do well with a large white font of UTOPIA, center chest. But I'm a screenprinting nerd, I often have those thoughts. With regards to the future of the IP, so excited about Fincher coming in on this to give it new life, and doubly so that it's not going to be in five years. The only thing that could make me happier is the possibility of being informed that Reznor is not doing the music. It would just come out so flat and predictable if that were to be the case.

Is that spinoff comic still available? If not, I'll try to keep an eye out.

Hopefully the American one will be big enough that we'll actually get a companion The Utopia Experiments comic to go along with it.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
It was announced on Friday but in case you missed it: The soundtrack for Season 2 of Utopia is slated for release on December 8th, three weeks from today.

;)

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Flea Wars posted:

It was announced on Friday but in case you missed it: The soundtrack for Season 2 of Utopia is slated for release on December 8th, three weeks from today.

;)

This makes me so happy. Utopia is my go-to soundtrack when I've had a lovely day at work. It's so morbid, but jolly.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The soundtrack is out now in some countries, although it's been pushed back to the 15th in the UK for some reason.

"The Monarch's Pyramid" :eyepop:

EDIT: Now on Spotify

repiv fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Dec 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Soundtrack is also on Spotify in the UK

• Locked thread