Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Lemon posted:

I don't know if I'm seeing things that aren't there but this

made me think of this

Well they did do this in the S01 finale...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

repiv posted:

Well they did do this in the S01 finale...

And there was the Christ-like imagery of the murder of Kristos by Arby back in Season 1 too (pinned to a tree and pierced in his side by Arby).

Hell, you'd be all day cataloguing the relgious, political and pop-cultural references used and abused within this show. That's part of what makes it so delicious.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I'm sure there's tons more things like that. The latest episode also had the illuminati pyramid at the beginning, capstone and everything.

freudorbison posted:

I had my apprehensions about flashbacks - I was comfortable with the "history" of series 1 to just remain a backdrop instead of revealing everything. It pretty much removes the writers' ability to add future-past mystery later on in the show. As well as the casting choice of Rose Leslie and the Tom Burke (a dead ringer for Kubrick) was too good for just a single flashback episode (and I don't necessarily see them doing another one).
With that said, that was one hell of an episode. I had a different idea of how Arby came to be, but the writing made me sympathize with him just that much more. I do hope they explain how Christos came into the picture.

Yeah, I was also dismayed at the prequel/Rose Leslie combination for like the first ten minutes of the episode but I think I liked it even more than the second one. The people making this can pretty much do no wrong imo so far.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

So is the crazy old scientist guy supposed to be: Philip Carvil?, I can't remember how they actually proved he died/commited suicide in the first series?

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well it certainly still has the same draw as the first series for me. Flashback episode was a little slow to get going but didn't let up at all once it had. I was kind of mad at the end of the last series but as a sort of half-way point it's pretty good.

4OD is a nightmare these days though.

Also anything that annoys the Daily Mail wins a few points from me.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Anyone else on Virgin TV having 4HD constantly stutter and generally be poo poo? Its annoying as gently caress

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Well, that end shot of Jessica all...dolled up wins hands down for most disturbing shot of the series, and the bit where she crawls out the medical waste skip wins for most disgusting.:unsmigghh:

Would very much like to know what happened to Dugdales' wife, and little Alice. Does the Network have then and that's why Dugdale is working for them? I'm kind of a bit lost trying to remember who knows what, who's betraying who, etc. The only think I'm certain on is that Lee is properly horrible and I love every scene he and Wilson Wilson share.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Irisi posted:

Well, that end shot of Jessica all...dolled up wins hands down for most disturbing shot of the series, and the bit where she crawls out the medical waste skip wins for most disgusting.:unsmigghh:

Would very much like to know what happened to Dugdales' wife, and little Alice. Does the Network have then and that's why Dugdale is working for them? I'm kind of a bit lost trying to remember who knows what, who's betraying who, etc. The only think I'm certain on is that Lee is properly horrible and I love every scene he and Wilson Wilson share.

He looked fondly at a picture of his wife and adopted daughter and if he has a brain in his head they are in hiding till this whole thing is over.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
I cannot express how much I love this show.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

I liked that they had the old theme back for this episode, I don't remember hearing it in the last two.

And yeah trying to remember who the hell knows what and is really working with who can be a challenge.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Is it possible that what Philip Carvel added to Janus is what caused Deals Syndrome? Has Deals actually been explained yet?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

wordsauce posted:

This could be the finest television show in my memory... it's just magic

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
The way this show can go from completely horrifying to morbidly hilarious is just great. I'll keep an eye out for the next episode while you guys do things.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Am I alone in laughing out loud after the intro when he said I made breakfast; actually gently caress it, everything he says in that deadpan voice is awesome. And I love how the show handles violence in general. Usually TV focuses on slowly building up violence to dramatise it, somehow trying to make it more impressive by dragging it out. Utopia makes violence look so...ordinary, like buttering a sandwich, and somehow that makes some of the violent scenes...funny? I'm not crazy right?

What I'm trying to say is that I love this show.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

pik_d posted:

Is it possible that what Philip Carvel added to Janus is what caused Deals Syndrome? Has Deals actually been explained yet?

It was designed to test whether they could make genetic changes hereditary. Hooray, they could :confuoot:

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Fleve posted:

Am I alone in laughing out loud after the intro when he said I made breakfast; actually gently caress it, everything he says in that deadpan voice is awesome.

Not just what he says, even the way he walks and breathes is just brilliant.

Plus the amazing child version of him from the flashback episode.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
I prefer beardless Arby.

One of my favorite scenes from series one is when Alice shoots that guy in the apartment. You can hear her breathing (like Arby) and see her hair blowing in its wind.

Dr. Pancakes
Aug 12, 2011

Thank you for not eating me without syrup

wordsauce posted:

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
I'm waiting for the Carville Family Reunion. Should be fun!

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Its a real shame america doesn't get to know this show better. I like David Fincher but he can't beat Marc Munden.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I think my favourite part of this episode is how Lee's heterochroma matches his suits:

Comfy Chairs
May 21, 2005

by Ralp

savinhill posted:

I'm sure there's tons more things like that. The latest episode also had the illuminati pyramid at the beginning, capstone and everything.

The show is absolutely laden with so-called Illuminati symbolism. But like the original Illuminatus trilogy it deliberately ties real-world events into its conspiracy thread. People (or at least certain newspapers) are criticizing it for playing on and including real-life events (like Three Mile Island and the assassination of Airey Neave). That's pretty much what Shea and Wilson did in the original Illuminatus trilogy. They created a mythology mix of history and current events so strong that people ended up believing it as fact.

The whole scope of the show, from the over-saturated trippy visuals to the absurdist characters, reminds me of Shea/Wilson's ideas behind the Illuminatus trilogy. I get the feeling this show would also be jumping around in time too if the writer had his way.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Comfy Chairs posted:

The show is absolutely laden with so-called Illuminati symbolism. But like the original Illuminatus trilogy it deliberately ties real-world events into its conspiracy thread. People (or at least certain newspapers) are criticizing it for playing on and including real-life events (like Three Mile Island and the assassination of Airey Neave). That's pretty much what Shea and Wilson did in the original Illuminatus trilogy. They created a mythology mix of history and current events so strong that people ended up believing it as fact.

The whole scope of the show, from the over-saturated trippy visuals to the absurdist characters, reminds me of Shea/Wilson's ideas behind the Illuminatus trilogy. I get the feeling this show would also be jumping around in time too if the writer had his way.

I've never gotten around to reading that trilogy but it definitely sounds like something I'd enjoy. Anyway, this show reminds me of the Clockwork Orange movie for similar reasons.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Pietre is way too attractive with the beard, it's messing with my head :gay:

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
So, Milner and the question which drives the series then. Is she ultimately doing what needs to be done but which no one else has the stones to do, or is the Network's goal utterly indefensible?

After the first series I was firmly in the latter camp but after this series opener, I'm somewhat more conflicted.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I think my favourite part of this episode is how Lee's heterochroma matches his suits:

Never noticed his eyes before.

As much as I like Fincher, his style on the US remake is going to remove the individualistic stamp that makes this show so amazing to watch.

WHERE IS JESSICA HYDE, GOD DEMMIT

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
There's a loving remake happening? That's actually sad.

The UN should officially register masterpieces and have council meetings about remakes. UN doesn't seem to do a whole lot else. Get North Korea to the table.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
Utopia Season 1 was just added to Netflix UK

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Lee is pretty great this series. All of his interactions with Wilson are great.

RIP Ian's boss. "Suicide's not going to work" was pretty funny though.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Sentinel Red posted:

So, Milner and the question which drives the series then. Is she ultimately doing what needs to be done but which no one else has the stones to do, or is the Network's goal utterly indefensible?

After the first series I was firmly in the latter camp but after this series opener, I'm somewhat more conflicted.

What exactly about the opener made you believe that sterilizing 95% of the world populace is defensible? If anything this season makes the plan seem even more nefarious IMO.

Unless I'm missing the sarcasm in this post. If so, feel free to mock me and call for my own sterility.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
So Carvill kept talking about how he made an adjustment to Janus, and then when old crazy Carvill he sees on the tv that Janus is going to go global he says everyone is going to die. So he must have done something to make Janus lethal? Or maybe tie it back into Pietre and it'll make everyone (or all the kids) total crazies?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
The Network's plan is eminently reasonable if you accept the following premises as true:

1. Hydrocarbons are a finite resource.
2. The resting population load of the Earth without hydrocarbons is 1 billion people
3. One way or another, the population will return to the resting population load when we run out of hydrocarbons.
4. Producing 9 billion less people is preferable to getting there then by devastating war
5. Humanity cannot adapt.

Premise #5 is where the whole thing breaks down on multiple levels.

Flaw 1: Humanity can probably adapt to the end of hydrocarbons. You don't see a lot of Peak Oil alarmists at the moment because the declining production of traditional oil sources kicked off a wave of exploration for new reserves and tech development into accessing harder-to-get reserves. Meanwhile, solar power gets more efficient by the year and science continues to dick around with everything from fusion to the tides. When the Bakken starts to peter out they'll be back and louder than ever. You could make a Victorian version of Utopia because we're running out of whale oil.

Flaw 2: Humanity can probably adapt to Janus. Even if you assume that Janus can't be undone by the concerted efforts of ALL OF SCIENCE, it won't solve the problem. Two percent human fertility is the floor, but the immunity adaptation is baked in. People who can reproduce are going to reproduce, and they're going to reproduce often. One hundred percent of the next generation is going to be fertile again. Human reproduction right now is largely limited by financial and social factors that would be completely obliterated by Janus. A still fertile woman who gives birth for the first time just before menopause (average age of 51 in the U.S. could easily be a grandmother by the time she dies. A society set to "Dugger" probably couldn't make up for the loss in one generation, but it would come back exponentially within one human lifetime.

Flaw 3: Solving one resource crisis by creating a new one is an unbelievably lovely plan. Do the Russians have more breeders than we do? How does our genetic diversity compare? How much faster can China recover than the U.S.? World War 3 starts early with vastly different strategic objectives. Life especially sucks for fertile women. In the best case scenario, they are well-compensated surrogates. In the worst case they're forcibly-compelled brood mares.

ChristianDB
Jun 29, 2008
Because of this thread I just binge watched all of series 1. Thank god for youtube. Series 2 I have found on some channels.

It's absolutely gorgeous, love love love the colors. I also love the characters, like the curtis got another great series, hope it doesnt go down the shitter. Can't wait to see what happens, I would have enjoyed it just ending at series 1 but oh well. I love that Ian is more and more becoming a bad rear end

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

JossiRossi posted:

So Carvill kept talking about how he made an adjustment to Janus, and then when old crazy Carvill he sees on the tv that Janus is going to go global he says everyone is going to die. So he must have done something to make Janus lethal? Or maybe tie it back into Pietre and it'll make everyone (or all the kids) total crazies?

My guess was that he is telling us the adjustment makes Janus sterilize 100% of the population. That's why Milner's guy says the protein still seems to work and they can't figure out what changed.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

LentThem posted:

My guess was that he is telling us the adjustment makes Janus sterilize 100% of the population. That's why Milner's guy says the protein still seems to work and they can't figure out what changed.

The funny thing is that still wouldn't kill off humanity, since there would still be a significant amount of people who just won't get the vaccine for various reasons.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Focusing too much on the premise doesn't really work for me, I mean Malthusianism is basically a myth anyway.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

DarkCrawler posted:

Focusing too much on the premise doesn't really work for me, I mean Malthusianism is basically a myth anyway.

Take your soma.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
Up until this episode I thought the modification was going to be that Janus will not select "randomly" but Carville did in fact decide to make it only allow people of whatever he thought had the genetics of the glorious master race would be able to procreate. But I think the "you're all going to die" thing probably cancels that out and now instead of making you infertile it just kills you, but it still spares random people.

Alternatively, it might be that the vaccine actually contains another communicable disease. Thus it IS capable of infecting the whole population even if they don't all get the vaccine. It's pretty hard to guess. I think that "it works perfectly" is a clue as to how it can affect the whole population.

Ian was super dumb to call Milner and tell her about Carville, but then again it might be worth it since he got the information that she is not to be trusted. Then again they were probably about to learn that soon with Jessica out. At least Ian redeemed himself by picking up on it. And they used up every conspiracy thriller's one "Wait, you just said ____. I never told you ____. How do you know that? Oh god...!" in a relatively realistic fashion and now it's out of the way.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

:rip: Twatface. :(

Utopia is very good at getting you to like minor characters and then killing them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

McDragon posted:

:rip: Twatface. :(

Utopia is very good at getting you to like minor characters and then killing them.

I loved Twatface in his 5 minutes of screentime. "Can you speak Welsh? Oh...well, you're still a racist"

Loved the scenes set in Dugdales' house too, the ice-cold blue lighting was such a refreshing change from the sickly yellow filter everything else is filmed in.

I'm beginning to think Milner will die before she can authorise the sleeper agents to fly their little cropdusting planes about, and it will be left to Wilson Wilson to give the yes/no on decimating the human race. Too much screentime has been devoted to him and his doubts/convictions for it to be anything else.

• Locked thread