Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

This show has the best cold openings I've ever seen hands down.

McDragon posted:

:rip: Twatface. :(

RIP for real. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

Irisi posted:

I'm beginning to think Milner will die before she can authorise the sleeper agents to fly their little cropdusting planes about, and it will be left to Wilson Wilson to give the yes/no on decimating the human race. Too much screentime has been devoted to him and his doubts/convictions for it to be anything else.

This makes sense. Even if she doesn't die, she might not be in a position to authorize it. She doesn't have him hacking things or anything using his skillset, she didn't need him to kill those agents and Ian's brother, she is doing some mild brainwashing. Not only is killing those guys proof he is willing to kill for the cause, he is going to be more okay with doing it once he has already done it, to justify his past actions. She wants a true believer for a reason and all the other ones are needed elsewhere. Might be he will be doing whatever the fake Mr. Rabbit was originally supposed to do at the final stage of the plan. He was extremely loyal to the cause and now Milner needs someone with the same loyalty.

Jessica shoulda put a bullet in Milner's head right after she told her where her dad was. But I guess Milner knows Jessica well enough to know she wouldn't.

And I guess my original guess about the change to Janus being that it is selective instead of random was right. But I get no points because I changed my mind! I also wonder if they didn't have him say which race he chose to avoid controversy. Though I wonder if he chose something not really specific to a 'race' and more some other gene. Might have to do with what he tried to do with Pietre. It is kinda pointless to decimate the human race if the population is just going to explode again in a few more generations. Might be he found a way to kill off people genetically predisposed to violence. Then we'll be like those tribes of gorillas where all the aggressive alpha males were killed off and now they're just chill all the time, instead of naturally falling back into that pattern. Or maybe it does a lot, and he thinks a society of smarter, less aggressive, less ethnically separated people will be more peaceful and share our limited resources better.

Of course it won't work and this series is just the prequel to Children of Men.

Also is this series reminding anyone else of The Mote in God's Eye?

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
This Roma is Romanian. You still racist.

These little vignettes are fantastic.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
Maybe Carvill just wants the gypsies to survive his holocaust.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

The most mindblowing thing about that episode for me is that they name dropped Denham, which is my home town. I always figured it was a mildly pleasant but pointless bit of suburbia, but apparently Milner starts part of her holocaust at the airfield thats a few minutes walk away from where I grew up.

Good times.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer

Budgie posted:

Too obvious. I can't believe there are only 2 episodes left, at least a US remake would run for longer.

Dr. Pancakes
Aug 12, 2011

Thank you for not eating me without syrup

Subterfrugal posted:

The Network's plan is eminently reasonable if you accept the following premises as true:

1. Hydrocarbons are a finite resource.
2. The resting population load of the Earth without hydrocarbons is 1 billion people
3. One way or another, the population will return to the resting population load when we run out of hydrocarbons.
4. Producing 9 billion less people is preferable to getting there then by devastating war
5. Humanity cannot adapt.

Premise #5 is where the whole thing breaks down on multiple levels.

Flaw 1: Humanity can probably adapt to the end of hydrocarbons. You don't see a lot of Peak Oil alarmists at the moment because the declining production of traditional oil sources kicked off a wave of exploration for new reserves and tech development into accessing harder-to-get reserves. Meanwhile, solar power gets more efficient by the year and science continues to dick around with everything from fusion to the tides. When the Bakken starts to peter out they'll be back and louder than ever. You could make a Victorian version of Utopia because we're running out of whale oil.

Flaw 2: Humanity can probably adapt to Janus. Even if you assume that Janus can't be undone by the concerted efforts of ALL OF SCIENCE, it won't solve the problem. Two percent human fertility is the floor, but the immunity adaptation is baked in. People who can reproduce are going to reproduce, and they're going to reproduce often. One hundred percent of the next generation is going to be fertile again. Human reproduction right now is largely limited by financial and social factors that would be completely obliterated by Janus. A still fertile woman who gives birth for the first time just before menopause (average age of 51 in the U.S. could easily be a grandmother by the time she dies. A society set to "Dugger" probably couldn't make up for the loss in one generation, but it would come back exponentially within one human lifetime.

Flaw 3: Solving one resource crisis by creating a new one is an unbelievably lovely plan. Do the Russians have more breeders than we do? How does our genetic diversity compare? How much faster can China recover than the U.S.? World War 3 starts early with vastly different strategic objectives. Life especially sucks for fertile women. In the best case scenario, they are well-compensated surrogates. In the worst case they're forcibly-compelled brood mares.

Well one its just a show so its not going to make sense when you dig deep.

I do see people concerned with energy crisis and as of right now there isn't a good solution so I think its fair to have a science fiction idea that we might not come up with a good solution.

I think for the second one didn't they say that the genetic condition is inherited? So that would solve that problem since it keeps everything in check once its set in motion.

I guess they feel when there is plentiful resources for everyone left after billions die then you have utopia.

I can't believe there are only two episodes left though

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Budgie posted:

I thought he was gonna say it was the gypsies so Twatface could call Ian and Beckie racists again when they asked why he'd choose them as the master race.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
Janus can alter people's DNA right? Maybe he's not going to kill everyone but gypsies, maybe he's going to turn everyone INTO gypsies.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
I assumed he'd fixed it so that everyone lost the ability to reproduce, but I'm happy that it hasn't been revealed and it could be anything at all.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

I feel like an idiot for just realising that Carvil is Emperor Palpatine.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Darth Plagueis was a Dark Lord of the Sith so powerful and so wise, he could use the Force to influence the midi-chlorians to create life. :tinfoil:

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Dr. Pancakes posted:

Well one its just a show so its not going to make sense when you dig deep.

I do see people concerned with energy crisis and as of right now there isn't a good solution so I think its fair to have a science fiction idea that we might not come up with a good solution.

I think for the second one didn't they say that the genetic condition is inherited? So that would solve that problem since it keeps everything in check once its set in motion.

I guess they feel when there is plentiful resources for everyone left after billions die then you have utopia.

I can't believe there are only two episodes left though

I don't think you have to go too deep to catch on to "War is bad, so let's just remove the ability for 98% of the population to fulfill a biological imperative and let them go quietly into that good night" is a really bad plan. A lot of somebody's getting nuked over that poo poo.

That said, they can have all the science fiction ideas they want. I vastly prefer the shallow plan than the sober analysis that would lead to a fiendish long-term lobbying campaing. I was responding to Sentinel Red's post just above asking if the Network's goals were utterly indefensible.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Guys, is Becky OK? :ohdear:

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

The Network was created by two people who witnessed genocide and were scarred by their experiences. It seems to be almost an extremist religion at this point. You have suicide ready sleeper agents, Wilson being told he's a true believer, and Milner going on about saving humanity. Milner and Carvel have been almost portrayed as religious icons in some of the shots as well.

I'm fine with the conspiracy not having a completely logical end goal because at this point most of the hardcore participants seem to be zealots blinded by faith. The ones who don't believe either seem to be blackmailed or in it for the power.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
I think Jessica will be pregnant with Ian's baby. They didn't use protection because Jessica assumed Janus had long ago made her infertile. But whatever criteria for exemption Carvel put into Janus, Jessica is probably an exemption. So the series can end with a "miraculous" supposedly infertile pregnancy. I am assuming the climax of the story will be on V-Day so that will leave plenty of time for her to figure out she is pregnant then dramatically reveal it.

freudorbison
Sep 5, 2011
I've commented on the flashback episode before, but I'd like to backtrack a bit: It bothers me that it never alluded to Carvel being a holocaust survivor. That's too important of a detail to skip, for a character who nearly single-handedly devises a way to sterilize the whole world.

freudorbison fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Aug 4, 2014

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

freudorbison posted:

I've commented on the flashback episode before, but I'd like to backytack a bit: It bothers me that it never alluded to Carvel being a holocaust survivor. That's too important of a detail to skip, for a character who nearly single-handedly devises a way to sterilize the whole world.

I found this a little annoying too. It's not like he as much as said a word of roma in the entire flashback sequence. The only hint I guess we had was him naming his mengele-child Pietre. Kinda felt like they shoehorned it in later, but then this is a miniseries, so there's no way they could.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
I know murdering children is cool and edgy but the murder-suicide drew far more attention to the plan of the Network in a very early stage then just releasing the virus and carrying on as normal.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

Metropolis posted:

I also wonder if they didn't have him say which race he chose to avoid controversy. Though I wonder if he chose something not really specific to a 'race' and more some other gene.

Might have to do with what he tried to do with Pietre.

On your first point, I'm hoping he chose the Chinese. I'd say there were clues in the season opener, even if they choose to keep it a mystery.

On your second point, it was no coincidence that the american fella walked like Arby when he was shooting his wife.

Am I alone in wanting the bad guys to succeed? If only for everything to backfire afterwards.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Padje posted:

On your first point, I'm hoping he chose the Chinese. I'd say there were clues in the season opener, even if they choose to keep it a mystery.

On your second point, it was no coincidence that the american fella walked like Arby when he was shooting his wife.

Am I alone in wanting the bad guys to succeed? If only for everything to backfire afterwards.

What like, the closing scene is a static filled news report saying the nuclear fallout from the recent attacks is going to kill everyone everywhere within a few months kind of backfire, or something else?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

notaspy posted:

Jesus, is that man immortal? He was old in the original trilogy!

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

DarkCrawler posted:

He was 39 in the original trilogy. You see the thing about movies is they do no always represent reality 100% accurately.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

notaspy posted:

AttitudeAdjuster
May 2, 2010

CeeJee posted:

I know murdering children is cool and edgy but the murder-suicide drew far more attention to the plan of the Network in a very early stage then just releasing the virus and carrying on as normal.

Yep, this was a truly absurd plot point clearly designed to fulfil the controversy quota for this series.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I thought it fit in well with the talk of dedication and sacrifice Milner was going on about. The guy they met in the food court saying he was willing to die for the cause, etc. So far we'd mostly seen them kill for the cause, not die.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
I've a hunch that the race he chose was 'human'. He's been trolling the poo poo out of everyone and the finale will have the vaccine turn out to do absolutely nothing :getin:

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

StarkingBarfish posted:

I've a hunch that the race he chose was 'human'. He's been trolling the poo poo out of everyone and the finale will have the vaccine turn out to do absolutely nothing :getin:

He seems awfully broken up about it. How about the opposite? He was the product of horror, he ended up creating more horror. What if Janus is 100% effective and the choice he made was that the human race itself was the problem?

Snapchat A Titty posted:

I thought it fit in well with the talk of dedication and sacrifice Milner was going on about. The guy they met in the food court saying he was willing to die for the cause, etc. So far we'd mostly seen them kill for the cause, not die.

A middle age guy eating a bullet is going to draw way less attention than a sextuple murder-suicide. Why on Earth would you want that kind of scrutiny other than for a sweet cold-open?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Aug 1, 2014

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
I love that it's also 5 families all on the exact same day. Can't space it out over even a week, nope has to be the same day. Might as well have coordinated the times too.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
To be honest, I'm sure the Network has some people somewhere to make sure that people investigating those cases get nowhere.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

nutranurse posted:

To be honest, I'm sure the Network has some people somewhere to make sure that people investigating those cases get nowhere.

But they do make the global news. I found the high-tech safe in the woods and compartment in the old pick up truck, expertly operated by some hillbilly a lot more interesting as a show of the power and reach of the Network then yet another mass murder.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I was under impression that only the perpetrators had to die to protect the secret, while the families were offed as a mercy killing, so they don't have to suffer through the flu apocalypse.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Mixed feelings about this episode, it had some very dumb moments, like the family killing, Donaldson's pointless killing, and the weird conga-line of characters in Dugdale's house.

But we got to see more of Milner crumpling under the evil of what she's doing. I absolutely love it, and it wouldn't work half so well without the flashback episode. I just wish we'd actually seen Carval giving out the magic rocks to everybody.

Magic Mango
Aug 31, 2006

Only fools are enslaved by time and space.

Lichtenstein posted:

I was under impression that only the perpetrators had to die to protect the secret, while the families were offed as a mercy killing, so they don't have to suffer through the flu apocalypse.

That's how I saw it too, especially given that the families would all be at the epicentre of the Russian flu hotspots.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
I'm really enjoying this season so far, but this was brought up in the chat thread so I'll share it here. Having Ian suddenly on the run again for another crime he didn't commit, and reuniting at an abandoned building with Becky, felt like a return to the status quo for the show. They do it well, so it's not a bad place to return to. But having this group suddenly reunited, after several months was very, let's quickly return to this dynamic of them in hiding.

Jessica's story line doesn't have these issues, because her involvement is set in stone. It's hardly a criticism, it's just the nature of tv.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

SunshineDanceParty posted:

I'm really enjoying this season so far, but this was brought up in the chat thread so I'll share it here. Having Ian suddenly on the run again for another crime he didn't commit, and reuniting at an abandoned building with Becky, felt like a return to the status quo for the show. They do it well, so it's not a bad place to return to. But having this group suddenly reunited, after several months was very, let's quickly return to this dynamic of them in hiding.

Jessica's story line doesn't have these issues, because her involvement is set in stone. It's hardly a criticism, it's just the nature of tv.
I don't think it's so much a return to status quo as it is a mirroring/inversion/progression of roles; Ian's "A Fatman or Fatman" reflects Jessica's "A Tramp or The Tramp" interrogation. In season 1 Jessica was nuts but focused on protecting them while Arby thinks he has a local; now Arby is the Nutty Protector while Jessica tries to be a real girl. Framing Ian a second time is just The Network heaping on circumstantial evidence to convict him in the court of public opinion.

I thought the bigger weaknesses were making Carvel a Holocaust survivor and reintroducing race as a genetic factor. The former seems like something that should have been mentioned long before now, while the latter is bullshit.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
I think a line in the first season is meant to be prophetic. I think it's the kid talking about Utopia part 2, they ask him what it's like, they didn't think there'd be a part 2, and he says it's kind of the same story, but different.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Slamhound posted:

I thought the bigger weaknesses were making Carvel a Holocaust survivor and reintroducing race as a genetic factor. The former seems like something that should have been mentioned long before now, while the latter is bullshit.

Not if, like someone pointed out before, the race he's speaking of isn't human.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I'm sort of glad I didn't get into this show during the first season because the wait between seasons must have truly sucked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

Metropolis posted:

I think a line in the first season is meant to be prophetic. I think it's the kid talking about Utopia part 2, they ask him what it's like, they didn't think there'd be a part 2, and he says it's kind of the same story, but different.

That's pretty brilliant right there.

• Locked thread