Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Goddamn, I can't wait. This was such a gorgeous show from a cinematography perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:

Irisi posted:

Astoundingly good. Poor, neglected Grant and poor, traumatised, foul-mouthed little Alice...

I loved Series One. Even if you weren't fond of the plot, or the grotesque violence, the look and style and sound of it was like nothing else on earth. The way everything was framed and shot like comic-book panels, those hypersaturated yellows and blues, that dreadful keening wail on the soundtrack as the Networks' plans were unfolded...god, it was the single most stylish looking thing on the telly I've ever seen, blew everything else out of the water.

Hey, thanks for making me go check out Season 1 like.. immediately. Well worded post, thanks.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
Yeah I just binged Series 1 as well and holy poo poo. Not much I can add to what people have already said other than that the show's really good at conveying its sense of unease and dread.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I just finished season one. I enjoyed but I'm kind of disappointed by the overall direction the show took. The first episode felt like a bad dream, like nothing was quite real -- the villains kill people with big oversized canisters of gas, it emphasizes the super-saturated colors more than later episodes, there are hints that the utopia manuscript could literally tell the future, etc.

Then as the show progresses it all ends up being much more mundane, grounded, and ugly. The characterization and cinematography are great and generally make up for it, but I was hoping for The Invisibles and got "normal people vs. James Bond villains."

It's larger than life, sure, but by the end the surreal quality and most of the mystery is gone.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jul 7, 2014

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
New trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfPU9gpcdl8

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
Nice.

Is Rose Leslie in this series or just for this special opener? I can't wait for series 2 to start.

Edit: Just caught where they called her Milner so that's cool. I'm totally digging the flashback premise.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
The thing I love about the torture scene is that right before, when they get back from the pub, Wilson grabs a bottle of some spirit and says 'this'll make us go blind'. Har har

Sibboleth
Jul 10, 2014

thehustler posted:

Season 1 ratings were really poor apparently, so if this season doesn't do well I don't think there'll be a third.

Channel 4 is supposed to cater to 'non-mainstream' audiences (this is literally the entire justification for its establishment and continued existence), so low ratings are not necessarily the kiss of death that they tend to be for programmes on the BBC or (especially) ITV. Utopia's ratings were low, but a high proportion were from 'demographics' that typically don't watch much TV drama.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Where is Jessica Hyde?

I can't wait for this.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Season 2 has already earned headlines by incorporating actual assassinations, including an unflattering portrayal of Airey Neave to bait the Mail (successfully). So read up on your 1970s murdered politicians today to get the full experience.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Do Channel 4 do a live stream or do I have to watch it on tv?

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
Just finished Season 1 yesterday. Awesome to see I'm just in time to watch season 2.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Jose posted:

Do Channel 4 do a live stream or do I have to watch it on tv?

http://watchlive.channel4.com/

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Goddammit they're forcing adverts on me on a live stream DURING the advert break. This is going too far.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Why does this piece of poo poo not load, I need my Utopia fix right now!

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
The theme is still yellow!

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
This loving show

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Glad to hear the music is as disconcerting and fear-inducing as ever.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Am I the only one to see the shadow of Il Divo on that opening shot?

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches
The colours are so vivid. I always feel like you could take any screenshot and it'd make a wonderful poster.

I find the boxing of the screen so weird too.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
No matter how many times I see it on telly (which means it is the Right and Proper thing to do) I am still really opposed to eating food in a lab. Especially with open petri dishes nearby.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches
Seeing the rabbit squirm freaked me out.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

I'm loving the 1970s' home video aspect ratio it's filmed in.

And gods, that toddler playing Arby is spookier than the adult version.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Toddler Arby is the best!

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Irisi posted:

I'm loving the 1970s' home video aspect ratio it's filmed in.

And gods, that toddler playing Arby is spookier than the adult version.

Having an advert for the guy playing Arby as a carefree workout dude in the middle of the episode was dumb planning.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Squalitude posted:

Toddler Arby is the best!

How do you even get a kid to act that blank and distant all the time? Does em with Pyriton?

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Got a feeling they filmed the toddler when he'd just woken up from a nap; that's the only time you'll get a normal child acting that dazed.

That, or hit him up with a dose of Benadryl, yeah.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Strom Cuzewon posted:

How do you even get a kid to act that blank and distant all the time? Does em with Pyriton?

Why are you asking?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Kids just look like that naturally, they've only got like, a tenth of a brain.
What's Tim McfuckingInnery doing in Utopia? One of the most commendable aspect of the series is a lack of "oh that's him" actors, which, for all his fine qualities, he is the quintessence of.
Also there seems to be a lot of Red Dessert in the mix too.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Look at that lovely cgi helicopter.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Oh my, using the very real Airey Neave in a fictional drama like this is in...questionable taste. The rest is fine, it's a story, but Neaves' death was real, not the result of some fantastical comicbook plot.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Squalitude posted:

No matter how many times I see it on telly (which means it is the Right and Proper thing to do) I am still really opposed to eating food in a lab. Especially with open petri dishes nearby.

lol wtf is this post all about

Mr. Squishy posted:

Kids just look like that naturally, they've only got like, a tenth of a brain.
What's Tim McfuckingInnery doing in Utopia? One of the most commendable aspect of the series is a lack of "oh that's him" actors, which, for all his fine qualities, he is the quintessence of.
Also there seems to be a lot of Red Dessert in the mix too.

must find something to complain about...

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Irisi posted:

Oh my, using the very real Airey Neave in a fictional drama like this is in...questionable taste. The rest is fine, it's a story, but Neaves' death was real, not the result of some fantastical comicbook plot.

There's like 5 or so irl murders dramatized and I think every one would have been better served by an obvious ersatz.

stickyfngrdboy posted:

must find something to complain about...

If you didn't have that very same reaction to Tim McInnery, I question your commitment to British TV.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
I thought it was brilliant from start to finish. Flawless. Cinematography was outstanding, again.

I especially liked how they used real incidents (should i spoiler these bits? political murders and three mile island etc) to give it more authenticity, really grabbed me in. Love it.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Mr. Squishy posted:

There's like 5 or so irl murders dramatized and I think every one would have been better served by an obvious ersatz.

If you didn't have that very same reaction to Tim McInnery, I question your commitment to British TV.

he played his part superbly and was well cast, I don't know how you can find a negative from it.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

It's lazy casting. Sure he does a slimy politco well, that's his bread and butter. One of the few actually good things about the show is its casting director's willingness to go beyond the obvious first choice and find an actor who will be unfamiliar to the intended audience and still deliver the goods. In a show where all the roles I know are filled by people I don't it's jarring to see him doing what he does, from New Tricks to Blackadder.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

stickyfngrdboy posted:

lol wtf is this post all about

It's a comment based on a scene in the TV show we all watched? I mean, if that's okay with you.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

The trailer shown during the adverts. lol at Lee telling wilson about how he can keep an eye out.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Great opener, not what I was expecting but if anything it was possibly the best to date.

Mr. Squishy posted:

It's lazy casting. Sure he does a slimy politco well, that's his bread and butter. One of the few actually good things about the show is its casting director's willingness to go beyond the obvious first choice and find an actor who will be unfamiliar to the intended audience and still deliver the goods. In a show where all the roles I know are filled by people I don't it's jarring to see him doing what he does, from New Tricks to Blackadder.

Jesus Christ, drop it, you're embarrassing yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Reminder that there's another new episode tomorrow and after this week all new eps will be on tuesdays.

Zaggitz fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jul 15, 2014

• Locked thread