Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta
Noooo Pietre :(

Also, another one for the list of people who hadn't realised the Sith were behind the plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh, finale is going to be really exciting I think. Guess they'd probably be trying to find the Flu guy, but that seems a bit obvious for Utopia.

Also you have to shove it up your arse. It's the only way.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Dugong posted:

I'm sort of glad I didn't get into this show during the first season because the wait between seasons must have truly sucked.

I dunno how they could wrap things up in the few episodes they have left, there might be a series 3; so you might get to experience that long wait!

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
My son murdering his brother is completely plausible given that he was recently trumpeted as a child molester then suddenly and inexplicably cleared.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Subterfrugal posted:

My son murdering his brother is completely plausible given that he was recently trumpeted as a child molester then suddenly and inexplicably cleared.

He also killed his boss you know.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I know this is probably a nitpick and likely to be wrong, but aren't the Roma descended from Subcontinental Indians? That would mean that a huge portion of the world's population would largely be unaffected instead of the small subsection of the population that Janus was originally meant to preserve.

I'm not a geneticist or anything but would the Roma even be in a distinct haplogroup compared to the other populations of the world?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Also this means Jessica is having Ian's baby, right?

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Does anyone else feel that "Oh yeah and also the vaccine won't actually work and loads of people are going to die" seems a bit tacked on to the story at this stage?

I can't imagine they wouldn't continue to do testing on Janus, given how important it is and the investment they've made to get it this far. Even if they couldn't figure out what the change was through genetic analysis, they could have done some testing on people to try and work it out.

The single line explanation "But we tested it on Jessica and it was fine!" is far too flimsy to me.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
"He's a massive pain in the arse"

Brilliant

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Vanderdeath posted:

I know this is probably a nitpick and likely to be wrong, but aren't the Roma descended from Subcontinental Indians? That would mean that a huge portion of the world's population would largely be unaffected instead of the small subsection of the population that Janus was originally meant to preserve.

I'm not a geneticist or anything but would the Roma even be in a distinct haplogroup compared to the other populations of the world?

Some of them might be but the bulk are, AFAIK, either HM82 or one of the European lines since the Roma aren't quite as genetically isolated as, say, the Amish (say, there's an ideal batch to repopulate the world: agricultural and non-industrial pacifists. Shame they don't get vaccinated! Even they don't constitute a distinct haplogroup, though) and there's been plenty of cross-pollination due to breeding and adoption. If you wanted to sterilize most of the world, you'd probably want to select only Australian aborigines or Papuans, since those are the rarest haplogroups AFAIK.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

DaWolfey posted:

Does anyone else feel that "Oh yeah and also the vaccine won't actually work and loads of people are going to die" seems a bit tacked on to the story at this stage?

I definitely feel this way but at the same time it works because it gave Milner the chance to say, "gently caress it, what are tens of millions of lives versus tens of thousands if it means the ultimate salvation of the human race?" People have been predicting that she liked Wilson because he was a true believer but once the orders of magnitude of life-loss increased he was out while she was still on board. It gives Wilson a chance for redemption while at the same time sending her off kind of badassedly. Also:

"So all this is sort of...racist?"

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Big fat gypsy wedding gypsies inherit the earth. They'll have no one to rob!

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Wow the wrong people died this episode. Really bored of Carvel's stress mechanism as well. Actually, just gently caress Carvel.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Is there only one episode left in this season?

Will there be a third season?

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Nothing has been confirmed yet, but the creator of the show has said that he hopes for additional seasons because hes never seen the show as being a short one off thing.

That said, I have no idea where they'll go next given that the next episode will probably end with Milner's plan succeeding or failing.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
People Being Shot Suddenly: The Series

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I suppose the one upside of Pietre dying is that Grant will probably take up his mantle. I hope Lee becomes the father figure he always wanted and they go on murderous adventures together.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Gorn Myson posted:

I suppose the one upside of Pietre dying is that Grant will probably take up his mantle. I hope Lee becomes the father figure he always wanted and they go on murderous adventures together.

Grant's whole arc in this episode was him trying to emulate Arby but failing because he wasn't turned into an emotionless killing machine with experimental drugs.

Disgusting Coward posted:

People Being Shot Suddenly: The Series

tbf its hard to be shot slowly, outside of Dune at least.

Strawman fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Aug 6, 2014

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Strawman posted:

Grant's whole arc in this episode was him trying to emulate Arby but failing because he wasn't turned into an emotionless killing machine with experimental drugs.
Then they should just ignore the conclusion and do the adventures. Its what we all want. He could even get his own suit.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Gorn Myson posted:

Then they should just ignore the conclusion and do the adventures. Its what we all want. He could even get his own suit bag.

Seriously? You hosed that up?

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Gorn Myson posted:

Nothing has been confirmed yet, but the creator of the show has said that he hopes for additional seasons because hes never seen the show as being a short one off thing.

As much as I enjoy this show, I don't think it has the legs for much more. I'm still on the fence whether its had the legs for even the two it has.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
This was probably my least favourite episode of the series. An awful lot of it was seemingly dedicated to simply getting all the main characters in the right combination into the one spot and it kinda felt underwhelming.

Milner had totally gone nuts. For all her talk of "Do you think I wanted to do badguy stuff for the greater good?" she is basically doing the evil genocide megakill plan the main gang thought Janus was in the first place.

Love the show still but I hope this is the final season, I don't think I'd be too interested in seeing six episodes of them trying to stop the Russian Flu from being disseminated or whatever. I also don't see how much longer it can go anyway. Milner's dead, a lot of her employees as evidenced by Wilson and that other lady abandoning ship as soon as they found out how Janus was modified are not loyal enough to continue a massive conspiracy. Some things have gone on long enough or happened enough that they're losing their emotional impact, eg. the Janus crew framing Ian for the murder of his brother, police rolling up on the crew when they're at Dugdale's house, they're holding my family hostage, etc. I also don't see things getting more climactic than them trying to stop the biggest mass killing ever in a down-to-the wire cat and mouse sorta game which I hope the next episode will be.

I like how some of the character development in the show is more subtle than most shows would do it. Like Wilson Wilson believing in what Janus will do being a good thing. When it first happens it seems a little bullshitty like the writers just picked one of the cast to join the bad guys because that's what happens in conspiracy thrillers. But if you remember he is a doomsday-prepper type guy, and had a fallout shelter, despite no real evidence of nuclear war being anywhere on the horizon, it's much easier to believe he's the type of person who thinks of the world as a powder keg ready to go off with everyone ready to tear each other apart. He doesn't know what doomsday will be but he figures it will happen all the same because of who people are and the global situation.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Am I the only one who's watching this and wishing they'd use all of this amazing cinematography and musical taste and good actors to do something not horribly depressing?

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Good work by the Network to use a guy working at a fast food joint to spread the flu and kill half the world. Nothing will quite motivate you for global genocide like that. The actor was creepy as gently caress as that D&D killer on Luther and he's still got it.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Cingulate posted:

Am I the only one who's watching this and wishing they'd use all of this amazing cinematography and musical taste and good actors to do something not horribly depressing?

I don't know what you mean, it's hilarious, some choice quotes:
"Twatface."
"Can you speak Welsh? Oh...well, you're still a racist"
"you have to shove it up your arse. It's the only way."

Also I don't think Arby's going to die, the wound seemed pretty non-lethal.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

StorrowS posted:

Jessica going straight in with her fingers to pull the bullet out was awesome.

How Aeon Flux was the shot of the couple kissing before Jessica nicks their bags a couple of episodes back?

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

StorrowS posted:

I don't know what you mean, it's hilarious, some choice quotes:
"Twatface."
"Can you speak Welsh? Oh...well, you're still a racist"
"you have to shove it up your arse. It's the only way."

Don't forget

"...and you can keep an eye out"

which cracks me up every time.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
"Aye, aye, skipper" was a nice eye joke too.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

StarkingBarfish posted:

Don't forget

"...and you can keep an eye out"
I'm desperately trying to forget that one :(

But seriously, I don't think this series needs its ultraviolence. Or even necessarily benefits from it. They could keep the horror much more sublet, and probably make it work.

DAAS Kapitalist
Nov 9, 2005

Jackass: The Mad Monk

Don't try this at home.
I'm hankering for some chips with frontal lobe salsa right now.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Ugh, for such a usually incredibe programme I'm kind of disappointed that Carvill altered Janus to preserve the Roma. Seems kind of dull and obvious and lazy, I was expecting something totally out of left field (i.e. not a race per se).

Also yeah I've been on board with the Network's plan since halfway through S1. Pure utilitarianism mofos.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

ThomasPaine posted:

Ugh, for such a usually incredibe programme I'm kind of disappointed that Carvill altered Janus to preserve the Roma. Seems kind of dull and obvious and lazy, I was expecting something totally out of left field (i.e. not a race per se).

Also yeah I've been on board with the Network's plan since halfway through S1. Pure utilitarianism mofos.

I was hoping he'd have modified it to only save women. It'd fit with him loving Jessica and hating Pietre, and would also be incredibly chilling to discover, as well as genetically plausible. Him saving Roma people is just... kind of a cop out. Like not really a twist after all, just a race pure guy being race pure about something. Oh.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
What I liked about the conspiracy in season one was that it seemed plausible that a group would be intelligent enough to sterilize 95% of humanity, but dumb enough to believe that wouldn't result in mass-murder and war they were trying to prevent. Treating race as genetic feels like the writer has bought into the whole thing. The show is still entertaining as hell and can probably recover, but it's step down.

Milner smiling for the hostage photo was up there with Vic throwing a peace sign in Orphan Black.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Factor Mystic posted:

I was hoping he'd have modified it to only save women. It'd fit with him loving Jessica and hating Pietre, and would also be incredibly chilling to discover, as well as genetically plausible. Him saving Roma people is just... kind of a cop out. Like not really a twist after all, just a race pure guy being race pure about something. Oh.

If it only saved women wouldn't this just straight up kill the human race?

StickyNavels
Apr 3, 2009
In that scenario there'd still be cells (eggs, sperm, whatever) kept on ice around the world that probably haven't been affected by the Network's shenanigans. Mass cloning of pre-anthropocide people?

EDIT:: I mean, the whole premise of the show is ridiculous anyway. It doesn't acknowledge that there are sociocultural means to affect population control. Free and comprehensive education for everyone isn't as exciting as mass-murder, though...

StickyNavels fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Aug 7, 2014

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

StickyNavels posted:

Free and comprehensive education for everyone isn't as exciting as mass-murder, though...
It's also not as likely.

StickyNavels
Apr 3, 2009
Maybe not. Definitely not in this show's universe.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

Budgie posted:

Maybe Carvill just wants the gypsies to survive his holocaust.

I've never called a thing before, how many internets do I win?

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Budgie posted:

I've never called a thing before, how many internets do I win?

Normally you would receive one complete internet, but you used the racial slur "gypsies" so I've reported you to Tumblr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Slamhound posted:

Normally you would receive one complete internet, but you used the racial slur "gypsies" so I've reported you to Tumblr.

In which case the prize is one public shaming and two hours volunteering, rebutting racist comments on youtube or similar social media.

• Locked thread