Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Zaggitz posted:

A remake is coming for HBO courtesy of David Fincher.

I've never seen a sentence start so badly and end so well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Irisi posted:

Astoundingly good. Poor, neglected Grant and poor, traumatised, foul-mouthed little Alice...

I loved Series One. Even if you weren't fond of the plot, or the grotesque violence, the look and style and sound of it was like nothing else on earth. The way everything was framed and shot like comic-book panels, those hypersaturated yellows and blues, that dreadful keening wail on the soundtrack as the Networks' plans were unfolded...god, it was the single most stylish looking thing on the telly I've ever seen, blew everything else out of the water.

The Shadow Line comes close, even has Stephen Rhea being menacing. But then it all ended with policemen's pensions which was the wrong kind of weird for me.

I also like how the soundtrack seems to be going in a very different direction, but still fits.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Goddammit they're forcing adverts on me on a live stream DURING the advert break. This is going too far.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Squalitude posted:

Toddler Arby is the best!

How do you even get a kid to act that blank and distant all the time? Does em with Pyriton?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I think my favourite part of this episode is how Lee's heterochroma matches his suits:

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Mixed feelings about this episode, it had some very dumb moments, like the family killing, Donaldson's pointless killing, and the weird conga-line of characters in Dugdale's house.

But we got to see more of Milner crumpling under the evil of what she's doing. I absolutely love it, and it wouldn't work half so well without the flashback episode. I just wish we'd actually seen Carval giving out the magic rocks to everybody.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Sibboleth posted:

Random pointless speculation before the final episode: Lee has mentioned that he is 'more important now' (a point seemingly backed up by his new yellow colour scheme and also the way in which several scenes in which he's been in have been directed and edited) but we have yet to see any sign of this in plot terms.* He was a hit man-cum-torturer in the first series and remains one now. Significant? Perhaps not, but hiding things - often in plain sight - has been a constant theme in Utopia.

*Except that he has (had) direct access to Milner now. But then with Letan dead this would presumably be unavoidable?

Prediction: At some point tonight, either Arby or a proto-arby (Wilson, Grant) will fight Lee, and appear to have the upper hand until it's revealed that Lee's arm isn't actually paralysed at all.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

notaspy posted:

So his arc about his feelings of being trapped and having no control over his life, to becoming 'powerful' via murder through to acceptance of his life is boring? I was simplistic but so was everything else for the most part and that's why this program works

The most important arc: Jen being revealed as a complete badass and borderline psychopath in defence of her family.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Cingulate posted:

This just made me realize how visually similar this is to, of all things, Kill Bill. All the plastic yellow and blue, all the blood on clean floors.

What in the christ is your Avatar? Popper is great and all, but gently caress man

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Chris! posted:

This just got posted to the official Channel 4 Utopia Facebook page:

It's a shame, as I think it had one more series in it, but I still consider it one of the best British shows in a long time.

I'm putting this next to In The Flesh. Sure, they may have cocked it a bit in the second series, but the first series was something special and incredible and ballsy.

And the soundtrack is how I get pumped up when I'm having a lovely day at work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdS_VdblFtk

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Paradox Personified posted:

:haw:

I loved his name, and was even more joyful when his father was Milton. Anyone know if this was a subtle reference to Wilson Wilson from Home Improvement? Father was Nilson Wilson, if I remember correctly.

Anyhoo; I love trying to pick out symbology every time I watch this.. marathoned it in two days earlier this week.. I would have been very let down if Peitre hadn't woken up. Also zoomed through it again a second time and picked out all the overt colour placement and symbols repeated; like the question-marks, during the second season, had a blast trying to single out the religious references alongside the Illuminati/et al poo poo. It's a blast, just a blast. Almost as fun as the dark comedy carefully sprinkled about.
I know it's been beaten to death but the saturation of colour in this is orgasmically gorgeous. Makes it seem like a series of varied solid neon shirts would do well with a large white font of UTOPIA, center chest. But I'm a screenprinting nerd, I often have those thoughts. With regards to the future of the IP, so excited about Fincher coming in on this to give it new life, and doubly so that it's not going to be in five years. The only thing that could make me happier is the possibility of being informed that Reznor is not doing the music. It would just come out so flat and predictable if that were to be the case.

Is that spinoff comic still available? If not, I'll try to keep an eye out.

Hopefully the American one will be big enough that we'll actually get a companion The Utopia Experiments comic to go along with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Flea Wars posted:

It was announced on Friday but in case you missed it: The soundtrack for Season 2 of Utopia is slated for release on December 8th, three weeks from today.

;)

This makes me so happy. Utopia is my go-to soundtrack when I've had a lovely day at work. It's so morbid, but jolly.

• Locked thread