Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
Up until this episode I thought the modification was going to be that Janus will not select "randomly" but Carville did in fact decide to make it only allow people of whatever he thought had the genetics of the glorious master race would be able to procreate. But I think the "you're all going to die" thing probably cancels that out and now instead of making you infertile it just kills you, but it still spares random people.

Alternatively, it might be that the vaccine actually contains another communicable disease. Thus it IS capable of infecting the whole population even if they don't all get the vaccine. It's pretty hard to guess. I think that "it works perfectly" is a clue as to how it can affect the whole population.

Ian was super dumb to call Milner and tell her about Carville, but then again it might be worth it since he got the information that she is not to be trusted. Then again they were probably about to learn that soon with Jessica out. At least Ian redeemed himself by picking up on it. And they used up every conspiracy thriller's one "Wait, you just said ____. I never told you ____. How do you know that? Oh god...!" in a relatively realistic fashion and now it's out of the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

Irisi posted:

I'm beginning to think Milner will die before she can authorise the sleeper agents to fly their little cropdusting planes about, and it will be left to Wilson Wilson to give the yes/no on decimating the human race. Too much screentime has been devoted to him and his doubts/convictions for it to be anything else.

This makes sense. Even if she doesn't die, she might not be in a position to authorize it. She doesn't have him hacking things or anything using his skillset, she didn't need him to kill those agents and Ian's brother, she is doing some mild brainwashing. Not only is killing those guys proof he is willing to kill for the cause, he is going to be more okay with doing it once he has already done it, to justify his past actions. She wants a true believer for a reason and all the other ones are needed elsewhere. Might be he will be doing whatever the fake Mr. Rabbit was originally supposed to do at the final stage of the plan. He was extremely loyal to the cause and now Milner needs someone with the same loyalty.

Jessica shoulda put a bullet in Milner's head right after she told her where her dad was. But I guess Milner knows Jessica well enough to know she wouldn't.

And I guess my original guess about the change to Janus being that it is selective instead of random was right. But I get no points because I changed my mind! I also wonder if they didn't have him say which race he chose to avoid controversy. Though I wonder if he chose something not really specific to a 'race' and more some other gene. Might have to do with what he tried to do with Pietre. It is kinda pointless to decimate the human race if the population is just going to explode again in a few more generations. Might be he found a way to kill off people genetically predisposed to violence. Then we'll be like those tribes of gorillas where all the aggressive alpha males were killed off and now they're just chill all the time, instead of naturally falling back into that pattern. Or maybe it does a lot, and he thinks a society of smarter, less aggressive, less ethnically separated people will be more peaceful and share our limited resources better.

Of course it won't work and this series is just the prequel to Children of Men.

Also is this series reminding anyone else of The Mote in God's Eye?

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
Janus can alter people's DNA right? Maybe he's not going to kill everyone but gypsies, maybe he's going to turn everyone INTO gypsies.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
I think Jessica will be pregnant with Ian's baby. They didn't use protection because Jessica assumed Janus had long ago made her infertile. But whatever criteria for exemption Carvel put into Janus, Jessica is probably an exemption. So the series can end with a "miraculous" supposedly infertile pregnancy. I am assuming the climax of the story will be on V-Day so that will leave plenty of time for her to figure out she is pregnant then dramatically reveal it.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
I think a line in the first season is meant to be prophetic. I think it's the kid talking about Utopia part 2, they ask him what it's like, they didn't think there'd be a part 2, and he says it's kind of the same story, but different.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
This was probably my least favourite episode of the series. An awful lot of it was seemingly dedicated to simply getting all the main characters in the right combination into the one spot and it kinda felt underwhelming.

Milner had totally gone nuts. For all her talk of "Do you think I wanted to do badguy stuff for the greater good?" she is basically doing the evil genocide megakill plan the main gang thought Janus was in the first place.

Love the show still but I hope this is the final season, I don't think I'd be too interested in seeing six episodes of them trying to stop the Russian Flu from being disseminated or whatever. I also don't see how much longer it can go anyway. Milner's dead, a lot of her employees as evidenced by Wilson and that other lady abandoning ship as soon as they found out how Janus was modified are not loyal enough to continue a massive conspiracy. Some things have gone on long enough or happened enough that they're losing their emotional impact, eg. the Janus crew framing Ian for the murder of his brother, police rolling up on the crew when they're at Dugdale's house, they're holding my family hostage, etc. I also don't see things getting more climactic than them trying to stop the biggest mass killing ever in a down-to-the wire cat and mouse sorta game which I hope the next episode will be.

I like how some of the character development in the show is more subtle than most shows would do it. Like Wilson Wilson believing in what Janus will do being a good thing. When it first happens it seems a little bullshitty like the writers just picked one of the cast to join the bad guys because that's what happens in conspiracy thrillers. But if you remember he is a doomsday-prepper type guy, and had a fallout shelter, despite no real evidence of nuclear war being anywhere on the horizon, it's much easier to believe he's the type of person who thinks of the world as a powder keg ready to go off with everyone ready to tear each other apart. He doesn't know what doomsday will be but he figures it will happen all the same because of who people are and the global situation.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

Stumiester posted:

Well, in conclusion, the first episode of the series was the best. It all feels a bit convenient and... small compared to S1. Still great TV, but a definite step down overall unfortunately.

I agree. And the setup for the next season looks like it's gonna be another "more of the same." Normally when I have something I like, I DO want basically more of the same. But I think the show needs to move away from all the super-powerful conspiracy holds people's family's hostage and other people prisoner while the good guys try to work around it and stop them.

That being said it's still good and I do wanna watch the next season. Becky's drug actually being what is making her sick was a great twist.

Also drat Wilson you don't actually need that symbol carved on your stomach. I think this is what Milner was using him for, a true believer who would be capable of defeating any counter-measures (because he knows all the good guys who know about it) and continue the project after her death.

Metropolis fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Aug 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

Koburn posted:

The last episode adds another 2 to the tally of perfect headshots performed by characters who have (probably) never fired a gun before. That brings Wilson 'no depth perception' Wilsons total up to 4.

It makes sense that a person with one eye would be a good shot. When a person goes blind, their other senses heighten to compensate. And when a person loses one eye their remaining eye becomes twice as good.

• Locked thread